Search Unity

Ceto (Scrawks Ocean)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by scrawk, May 4, 2015.

1. Rycons

Rycons

This is looking great Scrawk!

I'm also more than willing to throw money at it.

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  2. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

If my wallet was lost at sea, I could think of no finer, fitting end.

3. lazygunn

lazygunn

Web player's looking good!

SWE = shallow water equations, the displacements, ripples, wakes and so on that happen on the top few feet of water

You can vall them ripples but this thing calls them *insert tonnes of maths here* http://kestrel.nmt.edu/~raymond/classes/ph332/notes/shallowgov/shallowgov.pdf

4. Elecman

Elecman

Dude, this needs sound!
    Awesome job! Looks very realistic.

5. scrawk

scrawk

@John G. : Do you remember Nephilim? Do know what happened with that and if it was any good?

@lazygunn: Oh, yes SWE. Didn't make the connection. I'm quite familiar with the equations after doing the interactive erosion project but have no plans to implement anything like that at the moment.

John-G likes this.
  6. ZJP

ZJP

Nephilim = Livenda = :mad::confused::eek::rolleyes: = Dream on....

7. lazygunn

lazygunn

I was making demos with scrawks whitecaps project that he was distributing gratis that made me go 'so what?' at that thing ages ago. My money's on this thing although because of it's approach (particularly on those love FFT waves and realism) i'll always have time for several alternatives in water systems (i own em already so why not eh)

8. ZJP

ZJP

Scrawks = :);):cool: = Fiability

9. John-G

John-G

Wow hard to belive that was 2 years ago, I was quite impressed with the video they showed, although foam was not great and broke the realism a bit.
    But then Livenda pretty much disappeared from the scene just have to look at the Candela fiasco to loose any faith in them.
    But you've fully restored my faith that one day I'll finally have the ocean I've been dreaming off :D

Teila likes this.
  10. lazygunn

lazygunn

Ive seen a couple of amazing examples of oceans done with unity, but not asset store released, one even on ios and it looked incredible, triton is looking good these days but its never been within reach, price-wise, and scrawks already got a lot of goodwill from stuff hes done pro bono, im glad this stuff has finally come along

11. John-G

John-G

Yes unity has seen some great oceans, my favourite had to be from http://www.navalaction.com a great Age of Sail in beta.
    Really wish I had the talent to create something my self. Instead will be jumping on this the second is released. ;)

12. scrawk

scrawk

Whoa, that game looks stunning. Added to favorites and my new goal is to make this ocean look better than that one.

Also, Candela fiasco?

Just been adding some subsurface scattering. There's nothing realistic about the method used and its not anyway physically accurate. The goal is too cheaply add some more color variation to make the ocean look more interesting. Looks ok for first attempt.

Ocean12.jpg

Ocean13.jpg

twobob, VIC20, ZJP and 5 others like this.
  13. Elecman

Elecman

Any chance to distort whats below the surface, like this?

shipwreck.jpg

Konst likes this.
  14. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Refraction.

That is an amazing photo. Would have to go under and check that out if I was there.

15. John-G

John-G

Waves could be a bit darker between the crest and trough to make them pop more.
    Like in the following pic. :)

As for Candela fiasco: just referring to the way Livenda are supporting their customers (or lack off) with the Unity assett Candela. I would imagine Nephilim would have seen the same support of ever it had released.

16. scrawk

scrawk

@Elecman: Yep. Will add refraction and reflection distortion. Have not got around to it yet be will be done soon.

@John G. : No prob. Just a small change in how the normal is calculated. Its something that could be added as a slider or tick box.

Can make the surface look a bit plastic if over done though. It was hard to get a good screen shot but its a bit more darker.

Ocean14.jpg

John-G likes this.
  17. scrawk

scrawk

Quick distortion test to match Elecmans image.

Ocean15.jpg

kittik, SAOTA, elias_t and 1 other person like this.
  18. John-G

John-G

Nice, looking better already :D

19. Elecman

Elecman

Looks very nice :)

20. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

looks great for lakes too

21. jalapen0

jalapen0

Holy crap. When will this be done and how much will it be? Also will there be a low processing cost version? I'm in the market for some ocean water that will look good very high up but also up close and also some underwater over a huge area.

22. lazygunn

lazygunn

Scale the waves down and add some map to drive height variability, get the waves to obey a flow map and bam we have our rivers too

23. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

The tricky parts are things like where rivers meet oceans and where oceans meet shores I'd guess. This is the part that is potentially ugly, so using things like vertex colour to fade the edges of a mesh where it meets another and so on might help.

24. ZJP

ZJP

@scrawk
    BTW, do not forget to add some 'Boat Wakes' options IF it's possible. This is the kind of thing that's missing in most (or ALL) ocean packs.

hopeful likes this.
  25. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Suimono does a great job on the shorelines: http://gfycat.com/AnyTatteredGordonsetter

It also does a pretty good job of blending rivers to oceans with two separate objects. I will have to see if I have any screenshots of it.

Wakes are easy if the mesh allows projectors to work on it, as long as you are not doing any mesh deformation and can make it look good in 2d with some added particles for effect. Otherwise it will need some form of modification to the shader using a mask of some sort similar to how the shoreline waves in Suimono work.

Other than the large waves and some rendering speed, Suimono is a great water system. I just want more frames and a better system that can be synced across network easier.

26. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

Similar but not quite. This is where the depth technique fails. The lowest box nearest the other two is very dark because it is further from the camera and there is more depth between the water layer and that point but in the picture you can see that the color and appearance of the underwater object stays nearly the same all the way back regardless of the amount of water that you are looking through. That is why I really want a system that uses real depth from an overhead perspective and not using depth rendering. Granted, there is a certain about of light absorption that will take place, but in that image you can barely notice it. Then again the color may be coming through on that image just because of the shallow depth of the wreck. I am by no means an expert and this is why I am not trying to make a water system!

27. scrawk

scrawk

@jalapen0: Dont have a release date or price yet. Wont be expensive. There will be various levels of quality so it can be toned down to a level suitable for lower end hardware. What exactly the lowest minimum processor speed will be for a decent looking ocean I dont know at the moment. Shader model 3 will be a minimum requirement however.

@lazygunn and @hippocoder: I wont be doing anything for rivers to start with. Probably something best for a update after release. There will be the ability to add maps to certain areas to scale down the wave height or change other properties like color, foam etc. If your happy with the rivers being at the same level as the ocean and not going up hill then that should be fine for now.

@ZJP: Yes, will be support for boat wakes and more. More on that in a later update.

@CaptainMurphy: Suimono's shores do look nice. Will have to make sure mine look just as good. Will be focusing on large waves this week so will have to see how that turns out. I dont have any experience with networks to be honest so you will have to let me know what you need for this to be supported.

Will be adding that option for depth fading based on world y depth rather than camera z depth. Just havnt got around to it yet. Both values can be calculated in the same shader and stored in a separate channel so it should be no problem.

ZJP and elias_t like this.
  28. scrawk

scrawk

Wasnt going to make another post this week but with the refraction distortion and subsurface scatter added it kinda makes the last web player look a bit rubbish.

So just made a new web player. This one has the settings on ultra so FPS maybe a bit lower.

Web Player.

29. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

What's with the object wireframe on the distances? skydome?

30. Luckymouse

Luckymouse

Clouds Dome Mesh (hemisphere Mesh).:D

31. Elecman

Elecman

Looks awesome. Moving the sun doesn't work though...

32. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

That is amazing. Incredible water. It is running slow on my PC at around 23 FPS but I do have a mid range PC.

33. CaptainMurphy

CaptainMurphy

This sucks, the server you are posting the webplayer on is blocked from my area. I can't get it to work through a proxy either. Can you put one on dropbox? I am really wanting to take a look at it.

I think Suimono does a great job with the shallow water stuff, but it is a water system and not an ocean system so it is really tailored for the lakes and small bodies of water. It also does the directional river type stuff so it has a wider focus than just ocean behaviour.

As far as the networking goes there isn't much to it other than making sure the ocean objects match across machines and having some form of time component to make sure the waves are at the same shape at the same time in the same position.

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

How is the ocean plane subdivision handled ? Is it possible to LOD it when away from the camera for performance increase ?

35. VIC20

VIC20

Maybe it is blacklisted? It opens some scary "install flash pro" o_O pop ups sometimes.

36. scrawk

scrawk

@Elecman: The -/+ on the number pad should work.

@Baldinoboy: Good to know. I will stick with lower settings in future web players. Also there has been no optimizations so far.

@CaptainMurphy: You can download the zip here.

@nasos_333: The projected grid will automatically place more verts closer to the camera and less further away. By splitting the mesh up it would also be possible to use different shader LOD's for each mesh.

John-G and Konst like this.
  37. John-G

John-G

@scrawk could you add movable camera to next demo, would like to see it from different angles and heights.
    Looking great so far :D

Last edited: May 31, 2015
    hopeful and VIC20 like this.
  38. kittik

kittik

This looks incredible, keep up the hard work! This looks perfect for my long term needs. How easy will it be to change the colour and transparency of the water? I have been thinking about a river of blood (i.e. some impressions of the River Styx) in a later game planned.

39. scrawk

scrawk

So first of the project now has a official name. The asset will be called Ceto after the Greek sea goddess.

Ive been interested in ocean rendering for CG for quite a few years now and during that time I have collected a rather large pile of pdf's on the topic. I though there maybe a few people following this thread who would be interested in them so I have uploaded them to share. A lot are quite technical but there's some practical stuff to. Many have inspired this project. You can download them here...

Ocean PDF's.

@John G. : There will be more demos as the project progresses with more freedom to move around. Its still pretty early in development so there are still some issues that need to be added or fixed which is why the camera is currently static.

@kittik: Thanks :). The color and transparency are easy to change. There is just a base color and a absorption coefficient which is a RGB slider and controls the way the color changes with depth. This may change in the future but it seems to work well for me at the moment.

Its took a few seconds to get the ocean to look a blood red color.

Ocean16.jpg

twobob, Konst, ThunderTruck and 7 others like this.
  40. scrawk

scrawk

Just tweaking the subsurface scattering.

Ocean17.jpg

Ocean18.jpg

kittik, Baldinoboy, Rycons and 3 others like this.
  41. nasos_333

nasos_333

Epic :), the subtle color change looks amazing

This could also be used to amazing effects in smaller water bodies i suppose

42. lazygunn

lazygunn

I'm formulating river plans as we speak

43. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

Thanks for posting.

44. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Wicked.

45. moure

moure

Actually Ceto was a sea monster :D The Greek god of sea was Poseidon of course! Its a good name nevertheless!!

46. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Krataiis aka Ceto is a female goddess not god of the sea according to wikipedia.

wetcircuit likes this.
  47. John-G

John-G

No Ceto was a Goddess daughter of Pontus and Gaia.
    It's Cetus who was the sea monster. :)

Edit: hippocoder got there first ;)

48. moure

moure

Ah ok didnt check wiki, i remebered from school that she gave birth to some sea monsters thus i thought she was a sea monster too :D

John-G likes this.
  49. lazygunn

lazygunn

i'm calling this Scrawks Orsum Ocean whatever anyone else decides for a name

50. John-G

John-G