Search Unity

Scoreloop crashes game only on the device

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by Elkis, Dec 27, 2013.

1. Elkis

Elkis

Hello!

Last month, I managed to get the Scoreloop plugin working with no issue at all. Everything was fine until last week I added gamepad support and tweaked some minor stuff for my game. Now, the game crashes whenever I try to log in to Scoreloop. Funny thing is, it only happens on the device; I can sign in, load the leaderboard and submit scores from the editor but on the device it just crashes.

I tried undoing all the changes but the issue is still there, I'm not sure what happened but I tracked the problem to this single line:

Code (csharp):
    1. Social.Active = ScoreloopSocialClient.Create();
    If I comment that out, the game does not crash. It worked just fine a week ago and it still works fine on the editor, what could I have done wrong?

Thank you in advance :)

2. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

What does the device log look like after it crashes? Anything interesting in there?

3. Elkis

Elkis

Honestly, I don't know how to read it. It looks like something wrong happens when the plugin tries to invoke the Scoreloop API.

These are the final lines of a normal session without crashing:

Code (csharp):
    1. debugger-agent: Unable to listen on 7
    2. Waiting for finish
    And these are when it crashes:

Code (csharp):
    1. Stacktrace:
    3.   at (wrapper managed-to-native)   . (intptr) <IL 0x00025, 0xffffffff>
    4.   at   . () <IL 0x00030, 0x0017c>
    5.   at (wrapper runtime-invoke) object.runtime_invoke_void__this__ (object,intptr,intptr,intptr) <IL 0x0001c, 0x00147>
    Does this actually say something?

4. appxplore-tech

appxplore-tech

Same Problem happens to my case.
    I am using Unity3d 4.3.2 and using a z10 with OS10.2.0.1445

Anything that can help solve this problem?

5. Elkis

Elkis

Further testing:

I downloaded the Scoreloop plugin into a new project and opened the TestScene. It works fine in the editor but also crashes when using it on a real device.
    This happened on a Z10 with OS10.1, another one with OS10.2, a Dev Alpha C with OS10.1; building from Unity 4.3 and from another computer with 4.2. The logs look quite similar at the final lines.

I still have an older version of my game on the AppWorld and the Scoreloop leaderboards are still working as they should.

Any ideas?

6. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Unfortunately the scoreloop plugin wasn't written by Unity so I don't have first-hand knowledge of it. However if you submit a bug with a small project that has the issue in it we can attempt to reproduce and at least get a dialogue started to get this resolved. Just PM me or post the case # once you've got it and someone will take a look.

7. WaterlooErik

WaterlooErik

Apologies for posting this here, but I can't seem to create new case in the Issue Tracker. I just wanted to confirm that I'm seeing this with the default TestScene.unity file included with the Scoreloop plugin download.

To test, I:
    - Downloaded/imported the Scoreloop package.
    - Attached the MenuTestingBehaviour.cs script to the Main Camera.
    - Disabled the Version GameObject (I wasn't sure of its purpose.)

Within the Unity Editor, everything appears to be working fine. But loading it onto a device yields:
    1) The UI is displayed.
    2) The UI won't receive any input.
    3) After 10-20 seconds, the application crashes.

I tested with modifying MenuTestingBehaviour.cs and removed the following call:
    This did allow the app to run without crashing, and clicking through the Authenticate, Load Friends, and Load Achievements did seem to pass back some default data by the looks of it; proving the app UI isn't frozen. It seems it is the call to the removed line above that is causing the issue here.

I'm in the process of testing against previous OS versions, as well as combing through device event logs to see if I can't find a hint at a deeper root cause.

8. Elkis

Elkis

Thank you for following up on this issue guys.

I submitted the error via the Bug Reporter within the Editor; the case number is 586079.

Also I have kind of good news: The plugin works fine on a real device when you build the project from Unity 4.3.0f4; so it seems the bug started in the following versions.
    I apologize for misleading with the "Testing from 4.2" statement; apparently, I foolishly mismatched the shortcuts of different versions of the editor, so I think I always built the project from 4.3.3.

I hope this helps to track the bug easier!

9. appxplore-tech

appxplore-tech

so how's this problem? fixed? or still under reporting?

10. Elkis

Elkis

The case is still open but, as far as I know, Erik is contacting the Unity team trying to get this sorted out soon.

In the meantime, an easy workaround could be to download Unity 4.3.0 and build your game with it until this issue gets fixed.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2014
  11. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Yep I'm still looking at this. The crash stack isn't horribly useful at the moment, still trying some things.

-Alex

12. Elkis

Elkis

Nice to know that you are also looking into it Alex :) Hope it gets fixed soon!

Thank you!

13. lloydsummers

lloydsummers

Same bug here. Makes me nervous that its a 4 month old bug with no resolution, I'm assuming that Scoreloop is now dead for Unity?

14. Prenitha Thomas

Prenitha Thomas

15. Elkis

Elkis

I wouldn't had known if not for returning to this post.

I just tested it and everything works as it should in the latest Unity version (4.3.4 as of today).

Thank you!

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014