Search Unity

Sci-Fi Modular Tiles

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by ludiares, Aug 28, 2015.

1. ludiares

ludiares

Hey there,

I want to present you the latest thing I've been working on. It's a set of panels to be used in the modular construction of a Sci-Fi themed level. At the moment it consists of 20 different models, with different material versions: a metal one, ten recently painted metal ones, and ten scratched paint ones. I was considering to put this on the Asset Store, if there was enough interest on it.

All the objects have two shared materials, one with a 2048^2 texture atlas and one with a 1024^2 texture atlas, made out of 20 different 512^2 textures, made with the intention of being used as 1m^2 tiles.

I'm planning to expand this pack a lot, like, a real lot.
    - Finish the painted metal variation for 4 of the tiles.
    - Make texture atlases instead of per-object textures
    - Adding non-scratched metal paint variation for all the tiles
    - Add 2 more wall tiles

- Start working on floor tiles
    - Ceiling tiles
    - Wall decorations
    - Props

Webplayer(20Mb)
    Controls: W/S to move up and down, A/D to move right and left, up arrow/down arrow to move forward and backwards
    Click and drag to rotate camera

And some screenshots showing all the current tiles in the editor, and some of them during runtime, with post some default post effects applied.

Hope to get some good feedback on what to improve or work on later. I'll happily accept any suggestion on something specific any of you wants and incorporate it into this pack.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2015
  2. Patico

Patico

Bookmarked!

3. ludiares

ludiares

Updated the web player with the color variations for the 4 tiles that didn't have them yet. I'll work on having all the textures on 2 texture atlases, to increase performance.

4. ludiares

ludiares

Updated the web player with the atlased version of the textures. Now, instead of having 198 different materials for the scene shown, there are 22.
    Each variation consists of two materials, one for the majority of the tiles, and one for the two sphere tiles and two tiles I'll work on next. So one set of 2048^2 textures and one set of 1024^2 textures.

5. ludiares

ludiares

Updated the web player with the two new tiles, shown below. I also updated the original post with the same picture and the updated information regarding textures and materials.
    These are the new two blocks, using 4 by 4 tiles of each one.

6. ludiares

ludiares

Updated the link to the web player. I just realized it was still pointing to the original build, which didn't have the recent changes. My fail. It should work correctly now.

7. ludiares

ludiares

The web player has been updated with the new color variations for each of the models, the "new paint" version. If there is enough interest, I'll try to put this on the asset store for something like 10$

8. ludiares

ludiares

I've submitted the first version of these tiles to the asset store for 5$. I'll keep working on it and posting updates here when I've got something pretty to show.

9. ludiares

ludiares