Search Unity

Sci-Fi Effects 2.02 BETA! New Modular Features and FREE Update

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Dec 6, 2014.

1. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Sorry for my ignorance and being a beginner without knowledge of coding, I have wrongly supposed and though that your Sci Fi asset was a in some way complete pack, I mean that it could be used the scripts included but I was wrong as you are right that these scripts are only made for the example scene and the effects are clearly marked as -example- to avoid confusion, and you package is only a visual effects pack, but I did not know that the F3DFXcontroller was also part of the example because this script is included in the manual, and is not put that you have to write your own personal and custom controller.

Will not ask anything else related to scripts included in the examples, and sorry for bothering you.

Thanks for the help you have given and the well done answers

2. s7

s7

Thank you for understanding. Please don't hesitate to ask for help when you have a significant problem related with any of my assets. I'd be more than happy to help.

3. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

New suggestions for possible additional things to be included in your awesome and amazing package

The 5 images below and 2 videos in this post are possible suggestion for effects

Magic Bombs that you can throw at enemies with beautiful light effects and light trails
    Magic Grenades or normal grenades that you can throw to the air with a trail effect and parabolic trajectory
    Mines with some light visual effects
    Visible continued ForceField
    Laser Barriers
    Electricity effects and Tesla electric rays
    Plasma Balls or spheres, and plasma cubes or even plasma star shapes
    Plasma Lights (as shown here https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=plasma lights&biw=2293&bih=1202&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=bnV1VZvcE4T9UNTBgsAP&sqi=2&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg

I know that you already have a forcefield asset that I have already bought, but as far as I know this forcefield is ONLY seen and visible IF it is hit by an enemy bullet or weapon, and normally is not shown unless attacked, so I suggest to also have a always visible forcefield

Here is a very simple grenade launcher with poor graphics and low effects, and surely with your creativity and effects knowledge you could make some grenade launcher with much higher quality and beautifully

In this video below you can see some Laser Barriers from the Smash Hit game

and also here is a screenshot example of Laser Barrier

Monster Behind Map Effect Forcefield

Here are 3 example screenshots of some kind of always visible forcefield

https://talk.turtlerockstudios.com/t/monster-behind-map-effect-forcefield/53470

BeheBehindWall1.jpg1600x900 124 KB

For Tesla Electric Rays there may be many examples, I put here only three

660 × 438 - tesladownunder.com

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  4. s7

s7

Thanks for the suggestions.

The grenade launcher is pretty simple thing to implement. You have the explosions included and its only a matter of designing a grenade model itself. The rest is pretty straightforward. One again I don't think I will put universal weapon controller in there. So the grenade bounce before the explosion is something you in charge of.

Now the laser beams, its already in there in the pack. I don't think its a problem of aligning them the way you showed in this video.

Continuous force field is something you can create with my asset. I have included the feature that allows the shield to be visible with its own special material parameter. Also if you want you can always create alternative shield texture and color it with the help of shader.

As for the rest of the effects you have mentioned, it is possible to create something specific using the parts of the particle systems already provided within the pack. I might add something new later on, but now I am focused on current project.

5. magique

magique

Will this work in Unity 4.3? And are the effects OpenGL compatible?

6. s7

s7

Hey magique,

I can't say anything about 4.3 since it was made with 4.6 and made compatible with 5.0. If you decide to pick it up and have issues with your current version - let me know and I will fix it for you. And yes it works with OpenGL as well.

7. magique

magique

Thanks. I will definitely be picking this up in the next few days. It is perfect for both of my shmup projects.

8. anTaiG

anTaiG

Hi,

First I have to compliment you on the amazing work you've done with this pack, we're using it for a PC game and it change the look completely.

Now there's one thing I wanted to ask. The burnout effect shader has a pretty high bloom for our particular camera setup, so is it possible to adjust the value?
    Also is it possible to have the possibility to add a detail albedo texture, much like in the standard shader, so we can keep the default texture of the mesh and just add a damaged overlay?

Thanks, keep up the good work.

9. s7

s7

Hey anTaiG,

Thank you for your feedback. The burnout shader has several values to help you adjust the amount of the actual burn effect such as burn color and its alpha value. So modifying the burn color alpha should help you adjust the amount of glow seen with bloom image effect applied to the camera.

The way this shader is meant to be used is to swap the material on your original object with the burnout material as soon as the object becomes destroyed. Adding an explosion will help with masking the swap transition completely.

You can use your original diffuse texture with some damaged overlay mask added in photoshop if that workflow suits you completely. However I don't event bother with that, as in most cases you won't be able to notice the original diffuse texture under the damaged mask with glow and transition, especially when you have something going on on the screen.

Still if you want to add the diffuse texture slot within the shader, I will provide you with the instructions.

Just let me know.

10. anTaiG

anTaiG

Hi, thanks for the reply.

Here is a screenshot from our game, I changed the alpha value of burn color, but it's still blooming. Check out the attached image, you can see the effect and the values on the material.

Attached Files:

11. s7

s7

Hey anTaiG,

I have modified the shader for you and introduced additional variable to control the amount of animated burn texture which causes the issue with your glow image effect.

Please contact me by sending your invoice number at support@forge3d.com and I will provide you with the updated shader.

Thanks.

12. anTaiG

anTaiG

Just to report back here that this is how product support should work, great job.

I got the shader to work exactly as I intended, thanks.

13. s7

s7

Thank you very much for your feedback. Hope you enjoy using the effects pack!

14. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have just updated to Unity 5.1.1 (although keeping Unity 5.0.2 in another folder for compatibility) and have seen that the demo scene with the turret gives a very big and bad glow when using the Beam weapons, what have changed in 5.1.1 that is able to do this?

When I go back to 5.0.2 this does not appear and is seen correctly

Using version Sci Fi effects 1.15

15. s7

s7

I've just tested this with 5.1.1f1 OSX and everything works as expected here (no glowing beams in the turret demo at least ;))

Were there any import errors or anything like that?

Also please upload a screenshot if possible. Thanks.

Update: Just tested this with 5.1.1f1 on my PC and was unable to reproduce the issue you have described.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2015
  16. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

In April 24 was the last update 1.15 and now we are near to 24 of July (3 months after) so I wonder if there is going to be another possible update with any other new things, or maybe you are working on another different asset to surprise us with your creativity and high quality

Is not that I want that you add anything else to this Sci FI effects, is just only that I am curious about it

I agree and I am on love too with this asset, and also with the great pulse effect

Sorry, for the delay of the answer, thanks for confirming that it works for you, and now I have also loaded it into an empty project directly inside Unity 5.1.1 and loaded it directly from asset store and is true that it works without any problem

The problem may come from the conversion of the project from 5.0.1 to 5.1.1 as this was required by 5.1.1 to load a 5.0.1 project, and after the conversion it did look bad as told
    there were no errors showing, as I did not import it, just loaded a 5.0.1 project that contained the Sci Fi effects with Unity 5.1.1 and after the conversion made there was not also any error

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  17. s7

s7

Yeah I think I said before that I'm working on a new asset. I don't want to give any information or promises at the moment and just to be short there is no details yet. Stay tuned.

As for the import issues it could be antivirus or a broken Unity installation. I had very similar email related to an issue while importing the asset. Turning off the antivirus solved that. Not sure if you have a similar issue however I hope you solved that already.

18. Amnoon

Amnoon

Hi! First of all. Awesome package!!! I really enjoy it, it's very usefull. I am planing to purchase your Force Field too but I wonder if you have some scene or some little example about how to mix your Sci-Fi effects with the Fore Field. For example I wonder if I purchuase it and I mix it with your turret example, there is some way to get the right impact of each bullet into the force field? You don't use colliders in your projectiles so I supose that rays are the answer.

19. s7

s7

Hey thanks a bunch. The shield shader is something separate from the weapons since you basically invoke it each time you register a hit. You can reuse the same collider for registering impacts and send the hit coordinates to a shield script in the end.

You're right there are no colliders for the projectiles, however they are needed to register a hit with help of raycasting in front of the projectile.

Anyway hope you enjoy it and let me know if you have any further questions.

20. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

NEBULA EFFECT ONLY SHOWN WHEN CLOSE TO IT

I have tried to use the nebula effect, but I have the problem that is only shown when you are very near to it, if you go away from it disappears, so I wonder how can I do so it is shown always, either near or far away from it.

HOW TO MAKE WAR JUMP ALWAYS SHOWING AND ROTATING?

The War Jump effect is very good and well done, but it is done for animated effect, and what I want to be able to do is to have the war jump open and always showing in the final part and rotating as it is already done.

I mean like the screen shot that I could position it in some place and work like an vortex tunnel always showing and rotating. I have seen that the rotating effect is shown as wireframe after the visual effect is gone

Thanks for you help

Attached Files:

21. s7

s7

Set the near and far distances for the nebulas in its material. That should do.

Warp jump has the utility script which manages the scaling and animation. You can examine the script and comment those parts you don't need. It is very simple and easy to modify. Basically saying you can take the vortex part and scale it while leaving the rotation part inside that script.

SpaceRay likes this.
  22. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

WOW!!! Thanks very much for the very fast answer

Oh, I did not know that the Nebulas can be configured through the materials values, as this is not told on the manual.

Yes, you are right modifying the values in the materials I have been able to change the distance at what the Nebula can be seen, and also have been able to configure how much of the white effect can be shown.

In the screenshot attached below I have put the values I have used

Please, can you be so kind to explain what are really each one of the values in the Nebulas material do? As it may be very easy and clear for you to understand, but no so easy and clear for me, sorry. So I can use it better.

Please, also the same for the Warp Jump Script Value of the screenshot?

Do you mean to modify the F3DWarJump script and inside this one comment the parts not needed?

Well, I have very, very little experience on scripting, so I am sorry that I can´t understand what each part of this script do, so I can´t know what parts I need and which one I should comment out so it does not work as you have done it, as it is not commented what each part of the script do.

Code (CSharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using System.Collections;
    4. public class F3DWarpJump : MonoBehaviour {
    6.     public ParticleSystem WarpSpark;
    7.     public Transform ShipPos;
    8.     public float ShipJumpSpeed;
    9.     public Vector3 ShipJumpStartPoint;
    10.     public Vector3 ShipJumpEndPoint;
    11.     public bool SendOnSpawned;
    13.     bool isWarping;
    15.     // Use this for initialization
    16.     void Start ()
    17.     {
    18.         if (SendOnSpawned)    
    19.             BroadcastMessage("OnSpawned", SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);    
    20.     }
    22.     public void OnSpawned()
    23.     {
    24.         isWarping = false;
    25.         WarpSpark.transform.localPosition = ShipJumpStartPoint;
    26.         ShipPos.position = WarpSpark.transform.position;
    27.         F3DTime.time.AddTimer(3, 1, OnWarp);
    28.     }
    30.     void OnWarp()
    31.     {
    32.         isWarping = true;
    33.     }
    35.     void ShiftShipPosition()
    36.     {
    37.         WarpSpark.transform.localPosition = Vector3.Lerp(WarpSpark.transform.localPosition, ShipJumpEndPoint, Time.deltaTime * ShipJumpSpeed);
    38.         ShipPos.position = WarpSpark.transform.position;
    39.     }
    41.     void Update()
    42.     {
    43.         if (isWarping)
    44.             ShiftShipPosition();
    45.     }
    46. }

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
  23. s7

s7

The warp effect is a setup with particle systems and animated meshes. Most of the effects timed with help of scripts or particle systems. Changing the way of things would require a good amount of work. However moving the parts and looping the particle systems should give you a result you are looking for. The rotation part can be done by writing one line of rotation code.

The nebula material mask falloff and power help you setup the fading of the nebula mesh based on the view angle.
    Min / Max values specify the minimal and maximal camera distance when the nebula board is visible. Setting these properly will help fade the nebula board based on camera distance.

First two values in the warp effect inspector should be kept as already shown. Jump speed speaks for itself. Start and end points are the local offset for the start and end points measured from the center of the root object. This can be used to specify the direction of the warp as well as used by the Vector3.Lerp to move the ship game object. Send event checkbox stands for notifying other scripts as soon as the warp effect has been spawned.

Hope this makes sense and let me know if that helps.

24. macdude2

macdude2

I'm sure this question has already been asked, but what is mobile support looking like? Saw one review about it killing the frame rate on android, is this true? Do you know what the case would be on the iPhone 5?

25. s7

s7

This thread has an example built by one of the customers featuring weapons scene for android. Make sure to see for yourself: http://62.210.137.161/Unity/Sci-FiEffects.apk

I can't deny someone will try distortion shaders and get pinks squares on their devices in the end but thats something you have to strip if you develop for mobile.

Also I have had this question with the nebula effect on devices and its terrible performance. So if you require this effect I highly recommend getting away with a single optimized billboard facing camera with one of the nebula textures from the pack.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2015
    WILEz1975 likes this.
  26. macdude2

macdude2

Unfortunately don't have an android so i can't quite see what you've posted, but thanks for the info. I think I'd only need the weapon firing effects so perhaps I'd be ok then.

27. rosdi

rosdi

s7, I wanted to buy but when I clicked buy it says

Possible incompatibility with Unity 5
    This package was published using Unity 4 and contains asset types which may not upgrade cleanly to Unity 5:

Then I noticed this asset was uploaded using Unity 4.6.1... are you sure there won't be any issue with Unity 5? I am using Unity Free 5.1.2.

I really think you should re-upload it using Unity 5

28. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have bought it and can tell that there is NO problems with Unity 5

I am very sure that it works very well and perfectly with Unity 5, as I have been using it and do not have any problem with it and there is NO incompatibility with Unity 5, I have tested it with 5.1.1

I agree that it would good that to avoid confusion to buyers, it could be re-uploaded with Unity 5

29. s7

s7

I can confirm it works perfectly with 5.1.2.

Good point about reuploading, however the product page states this asset is Unity 4.6 and 5.0+ compatible and I suppose this eliminates further questions. Please note the asset has backward compatibility as many people still using previous versions of Unity and simply won't be upgrading their projects.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  30. rosdi

rosdi

I just bought it. During import I got these warnings:

MaterialEditor: Could not create custom UI from the CustomEditor: '' of the shader. Does the class name include its namespace? And does the class either derive from ShaderGUI or MaterialEditor?
    UnityEditor.AssetPreviewUpdater:CreatePreviewForAsset(Object, Object[], String)

ImportFBX Warnings:
    Can't import tangents and binormals, because mesh 'Editable_Poly' doesn't have it.

Finished updating scripts / assemblies

All the examples seem to be working (had to restart Unity though)... but for the 02_effects_preview scene the shadow on the floor seems wrong.. (I have set the project color space to Linear as documented in the manual). Then in the Mesh Renderer for the Floor, I set Cast Shadows: Off then everything looks good.

I will try to put one of the effect into my project next.

31. visualbruno

visualbruno

I just bought your asset, it's amazing, easy to understand and adapt for my project.

I just have a request : your shader "Heat" is not working on Android.

Thanks

Attached Files:

32. s7

s7

Hey thanks for purchasing Sci-Fi Effects. Unfortunately mobile devices won't be able to handle Heat shader due to its architecture so the only option would be to remove it from build.

33. visualbruno

visualbruno

Hello. Thanks, I just replaced your shader by a simple Mobile shader and some effect is displaying now.
    Sure, the effect is not the same as your shader, but it's good enough.

hopeful likes this.
  34. Squalol

Squalol

I love the effects, but I'm quite new to unity, so I'm scared I wont be able to figure out how to use it if I buy it, specially after the explanation that this is not a "plug and play" solution >.<
    Anybody else with little experience coding has had any success making it work? Ty in advance!

35. s7

s7

Thanks. You get all the visual effects ready to plug into your project. Even tho you said you have no experience the examples gives you the idea how everything seen in the demos are assembled together. Also feel free to reach me out if you need a hand with the package.

36. Bradamante

Bradamante

Hi,

just like with the Planets pack since updating to Unity 5.2 some of the Shaders produce just white color. An example would be the Forge3D/Billboard Nebula shader, but actually it's all of them in Sci-Fi Effects/Nebula/Materials.

37. s7

s7

Thank you for your feedback. This will be fixed soon. Stay tuned for updates.

hopeful likes this.
  38. s7

s7

Unity 5.2 Nebula board fix:

Open FORGE3D/Billboard Nebula shader and comment line 30. The result should look like this:

// Disable Dynamic Batching
    // Pass {}

39. Taza494

Taza494

Loving the asset so far, just one small thing that I think would be great for some people. How can you make the holographic effect display globally instead of always facing the camera. I'm not very experience with shaders so I was unable to do this myself, thanks.

40. s7

s7

Thank you! I know what you mean with the holographic effect. The thing is it is based on screen mapping instead of using the original UV map of the mesh. It is not designed that way to be rendered "globally". Applying holographic texture using the original UV would probably break its consistency on most meshes. Also the shader has to be changed completely to create what you have described above.

41. Gozdek

Gozdek

Nice work :)

s7 likes this.
  42. green limb

green limb

Hi! Thanks for the great FX pack!
    We have one small request: is it possible to have the version of largest sprite sheet (explosion) with a smaller number of frames in it? For our purpose, 16 frames version at 1024*1024 would do just fine.

43. s7

s7

Hey, thanks a lot! Please send your request via PM and please attach your invoice number as well as sprite texture file name.

44. green limb

green limb

Sure, please check the PM box

45. GoesTo11

GoesTo11

This asset looks really cool and just what I am looking for but I have one question. How well do these effects work in Virtual Reality? I've seen some pretty cool particle effects ruined in VR because it became obvious that they were in 2D.

46. s7

s7

Thank you very much! Unfortunately I never had a chance to try it with VR.

Maybe someone in this thread tried VR + Sci-Fi Effects and would like to share the experience?

47. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I have a space game that uses several of the effects. As I recall, with the Oculus Rift, the heat distortion effects don't work right, so I ended up turning that off on explosions, etc. But the explosions themselves work fine (and look good) and beams from the first-person cockpit look great and have a nice sense of 3D depth to them.

s7 likes this.
  48. Bradamante

Bradamante

Well, since Unity 5.3 the Forge3D/Billboard Nebula shader is broken. Shows up pink. Inspector says: "Shader is not supported on this GPU (none of subshaders/fallbacks are suitable". This is on OS X.11.2 (El Capitan). Did work with Unity 5.2.x and OS X.9.3 (Mavericks).

Will post more if I see more errors.

EDIT: Also the lights/materials of many samples are over-blown now. Guess you have to re-adjust some values.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  49. s7

s7

Unfortunately I cannot confirm this since I dont have OS X at hand. Was it modified shader with //Pass{} ? Seems to be fine with 5.3 on PC here.

50. s7

s7

By the way the new update is on the way. Some minor fixes to make sure it runs fine on 5.3 Will keep this updated if theres something else coming up.

hopeful likes this.