Search Unity

Sci-Fi Effects 2.02 BETA! New Modular Features and FREE Update

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Dec 6, 2014.

1. christougher

christougher

Love the asset! Really gonna make all the difference in my first foray into Unity and programming altogether. So glad to have picked this up.
    A few suggestions
    Individualizing the barrels in turret_barrel into four separate meshes so as to allow easy swapping for other meshes for upgrading or destruction if damaged.
    EMP type weapon effects (such an energy ball that leaves residual arcing on the target enemy while it remains disabled)

2. Mernion

Mernion

Can you please describe a little more despawn method? I bought this pack a little time ago, but I had no idea about pool manager concept, so I watched several tutorials and got my hands on, but I cant understand that timer call in despawn method.
    Just for example - I want to use "railgun" effect for my weapons. In example scene railgun prefab has "Beam" script attached. As I understand behaviour - it's starts from launch point to hit point (or to maximum beam length). And there is OnDespawn script which also starts on spawn with timer. I'm not using timer class - I prefer InvokeRepeating and CancelInvoke, just evading complex things for now. So, I cant understand why are you add some despawndelay? And if you add this delay, why it always despawn on different time even if it fly through different distance?

Im a little lost where to put despawn method for my weapon, which is not controlled by mouse - its just starting firing when target is acquired and weapon is aimed.

3. s7

s7

Hey thanks! Glad to know you're happy with your purchase. I would love to add EMP weapon type with the next update, however we are creating something else at the moment.

4. s7

s7

Let's start with the Timer class. It's an alternative way to trigger events. Comes handy where you have to delay execution of code, especially when you deal with the effects.

F3DTime has a static field time, which is a single instance of the class. This way you can call the timer from any of your scripts without creating additional references. Make sure you have F3DTime script attached somewhere in your scene!

To create a new timer you call AddTimer(float rate, System.Action callBack)

rate -
    amount of seconds between each ticks
    callBack - is the method the timer will invoke on each tick (works with private methods too!)

The returning int value would be the timer id you need to store to stop the timer later.

For example, this one will invoke your method each second until you stop it: int iTimerID = F3DTime.time.AddTimer(1.0f, MyMethod);

To remove the timer you have to call:

Where timerId would be the int value returned by AddTimer()

There is a second overloaded AddTImer method, which lets you set the number of ticks until the timer self removes from the queue:

With that said, the Despawn script is a cheat that works with the examples without building references to all your effects and their timings in the scene. I had no reason to build a complicated effect controller for this particular turret scene.

So what is the Despawn script is all about? The key role is to despawn the effect after some delay predefined within its DespawnDelay variable. So what happens when you spawn the effect, is the timer starts ticking and despawns the effect so you don't have to worry about tracking it at all. Now the Despawn On Mouse Up is a dirty way of dealing with laser beams which fire as long as you hold the mouse button. The script will despawn the effect as soon as you released the mouse button. There is also some code that handles the looping audio sources, but thats not our concern at the moment, and I hope you will be able to figure out on your own.

Now to answer your question on delay and distances: some effects are instant like laser beams and have audio sources, or impact effect which has to finish animating or playing audio clips. Or there are projectiles, which have their own life time set and these are not using the Despawn script at all.

So what I'm saying is that you decide how long your effect should live before despawned and how to time it with the audio. There is absolutely nothing forcing you to use Timer and Despawn scripts. I would suggest you to make an effect controller script and hold the references of the effects you have in scene, so you will be in full control of situation.

Hope this helps!

5. snorks

snorks

Hello there! Loving the package so far!
    I'm having a little trouble getting started. I was wondering if you could forward me to an example of instantiating a single projectile?

Within the package I see:
    laser_impulse_flare_001_example
    laser_impulse_muzzle_001_example
    laser_impulse_projectile_001_example
    and would like to use them. I tried looking through the turret and related classes but I am having trouble integrating the functions into my character classes.

6. s7

s7

Hey there! Most included scripts are designed to be used with pooling manager. Whether or not you have one in your project, you need to use the prefabs without _example in the end. You can find those under Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Effects path.

Place laser_impulse_projectile in your scene and add F3DProjectile script to it.

You can also add F3DRandomize to randomize the projectile scale and rotation and each time it gets spawned.

Save the prefab and spawn it using the pool manager. (See the short example I have posted before in this thread).

Now if you don't have any pooling solution, you will need to call OnSpawned() method on those scripts manually. This will notify the effect that it has been spawned and will trigger it's initialization. Or you can simple move the code from OnSpawned() into Start(). You can instantiate the prefab manually from your custom script.

You will also have to manage the despawning of the projectile in case where you have no pooling solution:

Now you want the projectile to handle the impact. The collision mask is set via the inspector (default value: all layers). Let's see how the projectile script handles the collision:

As you can see the fxType is passed down the switch statement which triggers the corresponding section. Let's say we have F3DFXType.Vulcan type set. With that said, the projectile script will trigger the F3DFXController scirpt VulcanImpact() method that spawns the impact effect and plays an audio clip. You can access the projectile impact point with hitPoint structure filled by Physics.Raycast

I highly suggest you use the pooling manager (one of these can be found on the Asset Store page). Also you may want to write your own projectile script by reusing my code... or maybe you may have a better idea on how to implement such a projectile class! ;)

7. Shadowing

Shadowing

I'm using this when starting the lighting beam
    Code (csharp):
    1. BroadcastMessage("OnSpawned", SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    And this when stoping the lighting beam
    Code (csharp):
    1. BroadcastMessage("OnDespawned", SendMessageOptions.DontRequireReceiver);
    When I destroy the lighting_gun_beam game object I get error

MissingReferenceException: The object of type 'LineRenderer' has been destroyed but you are still trying to access it.
    Your script should either check if it is null or you should not destroy the object.
    F3DLightning.OnFrameStep () (at Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Code/F3DLightning.cs:188)
    F3DTime+Timer.Tick () (at Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Code/F3DTime.cs:50)
    F3DTime.Tick () (at Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Code/F3DTime.cs:127)
    F3DTime.Update () (at Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Code/F3DTime.cs:134)

8. s7

s7

Seems like you still have the F3DLightning executing even tho you say you have destroyed it. Make sure you are destroying the lightning game object will all the child effects by calling Destroy(gameObject) on your parent.

Also I have tried reproducing it with no luck. Both broadcast calls and destroy on parent gave no error and seems to be its working just fine. Tried to delay OnDespawned call with destroy - still nothing.

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  9. Shadowing

Shadowing

I figured out the issue. It was from calling OnSpawn on every update while fire button was pressed down. So it was creating a ton of timers.

10. s7

s7

Ok. Glad to know you sorted it and thanks for letting know.

11. Mernion

Mernion

Thanks for the answer about timer, s7!
    Now I have a clear vision on every thing in provided examples.

The whole package is made on amazing quality level, so I hope you will bring more effects in to this one or to new packages for asset store.

I will just put here some dreams about new effect - something between "vulcan" projectile and "railgun" beam for big guns, like really big ones (340 mm cal. and bigger :d). Im currently using scaled vulcan and seeker projectiles, but..who knows what future will bring :d I would like to use railgun effect, but it behaves like a beam and reaches target almost instantly.

p.s. there is so small amount of good (I can barely name one) effects for space ship engines, it can be a clondike if you make a high quality package for this things...

12. s7

s7

Thank you. It's a pleasure to know you liked the package. There is a new asset in production which might involve adding engine effects at some point.

13. danreid70

danreid70

Definitely another vote for Spaceship Engine effects (thrusters), shield, damages (fire/electrical), and "trails"... Love what's already in this package!!! Thrusters of this quality would definitely be my vote.

14. superme2012

superme2012

Been looking at your work for a while. I’m working allot with the UFPS and just developed a modification to the MP add-on. I got a use for your effects:

- Warp tunnel
    - Warp jump
    - Burnout effect
    - Holographic effect
    - Fading debris field shader
    - Nebula clouds prefabs

Also all the other over time!

There are no demo examples to show all the effects? Not that it will stop me getting the asset but maybe others would like to see them in action. I know I would.

Other effects that could be good to have,

- Bombs (cluster bombs)
    - Grenade (projectile)
    - Mines

15. s7

s7

Thank you for your suggestions. There are the example scene for all the assets included in this pack. Did you mean the turret example is the one that involves user interaction?

Last edited: May 11, 2015
  16. superme2012

superme2012

Yeah the turret example was the only one I could find? Would be nice to see more examples like that, I also seen your force field example that shocked me. The one with the ships in space.

17. s7

s7

Unfortunately the turret scene is the only one advanced example available amongst the simple ones included in this package. The Force Field web demo you have mentioned is not available to public. However there is something similar we have in production which will become available soon.

18. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I am one the biggest fan of this sci fi effects pack, and they are awesome and fantastic, BUT there is one very big problem I personally have, maybe is not the fault of the pack and it is me that I do not have enough experience and knowledge, but WHY DOES the amazing effects shown does NOT BREAK ANYTHING?

In the very well done turret demo all the weapons included ONLY PUSHES the cubes and spheres, and not break them

NONE of the powerful and great weapons that shoot and object as projectile, or use beautiful light effects ONLY PUSHES THINGS, do NOT do any damage to anything, even the missiles does not break anything, just show a big explosion and the you remove the object, but DOES not break it.

And of course, I do not mean to really BREAK the object dynamically or in real time, I just ONLY mean to REPLACE the object hit by the weapons with a "explosion" prefab showing broken pieces (and not a real fire explosion as it happens now in the missiles) as shown very well in other weapon assets available on the unity store.

I know that for this you need a weapon management and a damage manager, but I do not know how to make it or where I can find one that can be used for this.

I also know that there must be 2 different ways to manage these, as it not the same to use weapons that use a 3d model projectile, than the laser that is only light or particle effects and so you should be used ray cast for detecting collision , and this may be the real problem

Please do you know any weapon management and/or damage manager that is compatible and be able to work with these wonderful effects you have created?

I know that there is the Core Game Kit by Dark Tonic http://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/6640 that seems to manage this kind of things by maybe only for 3d model based projectiles and not for particle system or light based weapons

Or maybe the DestroyIT asset http://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/18811

Or maybe also the Fracturing & Destruction
    http://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9411

But I do not know if any of these 3 above can be compatible with this sci fi effects, and what really is needed to be able to control and use these weapons and light weapons on my own project

It would be really great if this asset could include also a this damage manager and weapon management, I know that is supposed that this is possibly only a VISUAL EFFECTS prefabs to be used by experienced and expert Unity users that know really HOW to use them and that know well how to make scripts that would be used to be able to USE this visual effects, but regretably I do not have the experience and scripting knowledge to do it.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2015
  19. s7

s7

Hey SpaceRay,

Unfortunately there is no weapon or damage manager as this pack is not intended to include such a thing. This is something you have to figure out on your own or use any suitable solution for your project.

First of all, you should treat this package as a visual effects collection. However this is something more than just an asset filled with particle effects and texture boards. I had to include various examples to demonstrate the application of the effects as you would probably have used it in your game. All the effects come with scripts so it is mostly reusable and the code is well documented.

Now to answer your question regarding the destruction caused by the weapon effects. Since most of the destruction packages are heavily based on physics, you could simply alter several lines of code in the weapon scripts where the impact force applied to a collider's rigidbody.

So if you check the online manual for one of the destruction packs you have mentioned: http://www.ultimategametools.com/products/fracturing/scripting

FracturedObject has Explode method that you can use to trigger the destruction of the object hit by a missile or any other weapon.

To be honest there is no rocket science behind the scripts. Everything is pretty straightforward especially when it comes to managing weapon effects. It's all about timing, triggering other effects and playing sounds.

Now with all that said, you have two ways of handling the weapons in your game. Either use the scripts included within the package or make something of your own based on the provided examples and clean effect prefabs.

I hope you understand that there is no universal solution that will be covering each and every aspect so in most cases you will have to tweak and fine tune the scripts.

I highly suggest you check on the manual and see the short tutorials if you haven't seen them yet:

Pool Manager script - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sc...y-particle-scaling.284170/page-4#post-2096759

Timer script - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sc...y-particle-scaling.284170/page-5#post-2097708

Spawning a projectile - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sc...y-particle-scaling.284170/page-5#post-2098459

This should get you stared. Hope this helps and let me know if you need anything!

Cheers,
    Alex

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    faduci and fieldrequired like this.
  20. ZJP

ZJP

Absolutely agree. Focus on what you doing well: the effects. (this package will become unmanageable and you'll spend your time doing "hot line" for scripts).;)

All you have to do is to detect impacts and strengths.. Pretty easy.

Last edited: May 14, 2015
    s7 likes this.
  21. ashkanis

ashkanis

Hello Alex

Your demo seems very impressive
    I would like to use many of the effects, but in an ios/android game
    Do you have any plan to release a mobile friendly version, i'm sure that wwould interest many unity developers

thanks

Benoit

22. s7

s7

Thank you! Actually most effects are mobile friendly. Check out the apk demo for android http://62.210.137.161/Unity/Sci-FiEffects.apk

23. ashkanis

ashkanis

all right thanks. the apk demo look very good too
    will probably get the package then, once my project will be advanced enough
    have you made any optimization to the code to get it work on android?
    if yes, would it be possible to get the demo code once i bought the package?

thanks

Benoit

24. s7

s7

Heres the link to the original APK post: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sc...y-particle-scaling.284170/page-2#post-1959733

You will have to replace the distortion/heat shader or remove it completely for mobiles since it's not supported. I think that would be all.

25. Ramlock

Ramlock

That's an impressive pack! My question is, though: How compatible is it with 2D games?

26. s7

s7

Thanks! The answer would be: 100% compatible ;)

27. ZJP

ZJP

28. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

If you want to break up objects into more realistic chunks, I've had good luck with an asset called Exploder.

29. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Thanks very much for the long and detailed question, and that is clearly explained and thanks for taking the time to write all this you have put and has been very useful and helpful and did solve my problem

Yes, you are right, and I know that your great package is NOT a weapon system, and not either a damage manager, that is why I asked if you could give an external possible way to do what I wanted and that really the weapons are examples of what can be done.

There are available other weapon and damage manager in the asset store, and I have a very good news for you and for me as ZJPO have said very well

SCI FI EFFECTS + DESTROY IT = WINNING PACKAGE FOR DESTRUCTION

DestroyIT damage manager have choosen YOUR package to show in a video tutorial HOW you can use the weapons from SCI FI EFFECTS together WITH the damage management of DESTROY IT, so joining both very easily, is possible to get what I suggested to break anything using YOUR awesome and excellent quality effects you have done.

Please, see http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...destruction-system.251622/page-3#post-2113758

So now having this video tutorials here above there is MORE reasons to buy your wonderful pack of beautiful and high quality effects

Yes, you are right and is true that is possible as you have said, and this is exactly the way that the Destroy IT video tutorial is made as you have told, and even simpler as can be seen in the link above

As you also say well, is much better to use a destruction package, and this is why I have choosen the Destroy It asset, that is a damage manager that is totally based on making destruction possible and is heavily based on physics and you can use your own custom weapons as shown above in the link

Yes this seems also a good one, although I have not tried it yet, and have not bought it.

Are you using this Exploder with these Sci FI effects?

How does it work?

Thanks very much for all the help

30. ZJP

ZJP

I have 'Exploder' but i will take 'DestroyIT'. Seem more efficient.

31. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I haven't tried it yet, but I believe you can "pre-crack" models with Exploder for good performance. The way Exploder breaks up models is friggin cool. There are some things I don't like about it. Anyway, it seems from the video that DestroyIt just generates little generic chunks?

32. Avalon3D

Avalon3D

I think that this is really a very good collection of very well done and high quality effects, but regretably for me that have very little knowdlege of Unity yet, there is missing a very important thing for me, is that to explain how to use all these gemes and wonderful effects

From my point of view the guide is made assuming that you already know much about particle efects and also about scripting and have enough experience of Unity to be able to use these awesome prefabs included, as is not explained for a beginner, I mean by step by step how to integrate these effects into your own project, and what is needed to do

The link from SpaceRay seems to be interesting with DestroyIT, but I also would like to know how is the Exploder asset to be used with this Sci Fi effects, how would be the integration of Exploder compared to the DestroyIT shown above?

Thanks

33. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

It's an effects package, not a "teach you everything about Unity" package. You will need to learn those things, or you will not get far.

I wouldn't think of it in terms of Exploder being related to Sci-Fi Effects, because it isn't. The logic specific to your game needs to drive when to draw visual effects, when to play sounds, get input, increase a score, award XP, etc.

In my game's logic, I call the "Explode" method in the Exploder asset when know it's time for a space ship to explode. In some cases, I happen to draw weapon effects from Sci-Fi Effects, but that's not relevant. I also spawn a particle effect explosion, which often happens to be one from the Sci-Fi Effects package, but that's also not relevant.

You set up Exploder in a very similar way as the DestroyIT video. You either set the tag to Explodable or you add an Explodable component to the GameObject you want to blow up.

In my game, I initiate Exploder by doing this:

Code (csharp):
    2.                 ExploderUtils.SetActive(MasterControlProgram.GlobalExploderObject.gameObject, true);
    3.                 MasterControlProgram.GlobalExploderObject.transform.position = ExploderUtils.GetCentroid(this.gameObject);
    4.                 MasterControlProgram.GlobalExploderObject.Radius = 1.0f;
    5.                 MasterControlProgram.GlobalExploderObject.Explode();    
    Talking about assets that fragment meshes is kind of off topic though.

ZJP likes this.
  34. Shadowing

Shadowing

On the Warp Tunnel Shader. What does Max fade Start and max fade End do? I tried changing the numbers but couldn't notice any changes. I was hoping it would slowly apply the shader on change.

I'm using it as a cloak for a ship. It looks pretty amazing.
    You should add that to your advertisement as a picture.

35. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I've got the warp tunnel plugged into my game. I posted a bit of info on fading the effect in a few months ago:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/sc...y-particle-scaling.284170/page-3#post-1970043

I also found it helpful to "fade in" the warp tunnel distortion. I can post more detail if you need it.

36. Shadowing

Shadowing

Thanks for the reply Steve. I'm using it as a cloak. I was wanting to have it slowly switch from Standard shader to warp tunnel shader. I'll have to google to see if this is even possible.

37. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Ran into a problem with the distortion effect that some of the effects use. I first noticed it with the Explosion_001 effect. If I turn off the Blast_Wave_01 GameObject, I don't get the problem. I also see the problem with the warp tunnel; I'm guessing it's the distortion effect that's the issue.

I have some floating UI elements (for targeting overlays and such) that use transparency, and whenever an effect is active that uses that effect (like FORGE3D/Heat I guess), that part of my UI goes into a weird visual state where it's just barely visible. Plus it seems to be in a weird alpha blending mode. Like it'll kind of turn different colors depending on what's behind it.

Is it possible that the alpha blend mode isn't getting reset right or something along those lines?

What's weird is that when I see that behavior in play mode in the editor and hit the pause button, the problem clears. The problem also goes away when loading a new scene. I do see the same glitch in a Windows build.

I'm on Unity 5.0.1f1. I'm using deferred rendering and HDR if that makes a difference. I don't recall seeing the glitch in Unity 4.6, though I've made several changes since then.

38. Shadowing

Shadowing

I have a current issue that I'm not sure if this is related to Steves issue. But on the nebula FX. The graphic is invisible until you get closer to it

I made a video showing this
    Does it in the editor as well.
    youtu.be/d02phUxHw80

Also some weapon effects are a bit worthless.
    They aren't truly 3d dimensional objects. talking about a lot of the Energy projectiles. When you shoot them you can see the shape of it which is a plus sign + as its moving. I was able to fix this by adding halo and other light effects at the end to cover it up.

39. Avalon3D

Avalon3D

Sorry, but I DO NOT want that s7 the author teach me EVERYTHING about Unity, and I know that I need to learn more about Unity myself, I never expect that it would tell everything, as you say, about Unity

What I am refering is ONLY to how to be able to use these amazing and awesome weapons, rays, and effects on our own project, I mean what is need to do to use them and how to do it from a beginner point of view and not only from an experienced user point of view

Also if these needs to be used only with own made scripting or can be used without scripting for the users that have no experience with coding and scripting

Thanks for your other answer, interesting

40. s7

s7

Hey Steve,

Sorry for the delay. For some reason I had no forum notifications since 15 of May, although I am subscribed to this thread.

I assume you are using the built in UI...

Are those elements in Screen Space - Overlay mode? Would be interesting to try to reproduce this on my side. Also make sure to provide a screenshot if possible.

41. s7

s7

Hey Shadowing,

To fix the visible distance I suggest trying different fading distances from your camera based on your world scale set in the nebula material.

Have you tried adjusting these settings?

Now speaking of the projectiles shape. Well, it is possible to fade them by the camera angle so you wont be seeing a plus shape, but that would made you cry because of the performance drop ;)

Also making them a fully 3d shape is a waste of time, because you wont see any difference when you have something going on the screen, not just a blank skybox with a projectile fading into the distance.

You said you have added a halo to mask the shape? Have you tried randomizing the size and rotation. This helps a lot actually.

42. s7

s7

Hey Avalon3D,

"It's an effects package, not a "teach you everything about Unity" package. You will need to learn those things, or you will not get far" - Steve Tack ©

From the beginner point of view you start with the tutorials: https://unity3d.com/learn/tutorials/modules

There is an example turret project in the pack which you can use as a reference material. Start reading the code and try to understand hows its linked together. I have put lots of comments in there to help with the process. The turret example is built to show how to use the effects, not how to create your weapon management system.

Refer to Unity Scripting manual to get better understanding of its API. It has a lot of usage examples which also help a lot.

Use Google to find your answers!

Please understand that I cannot allow my time to aid with your project, although I would be more than happy to answer some specific questions you might have in the process of integrating the pack into your game.

What I mean by that is that you should have some scripts system that manages the weapons and damage dealing. For example a player can kill the enemy by aiming the gun and firing a ray. The system should handle the damage application and control when the enemy changes the state. You probably don't even need the visual effects at this point.

Last edited: May 30, 2015
  43. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I'm actually using NGUI along with TextMesh Pro and Vectrosity - all of those elements with translucency had that behavior.

44. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I am using your turret demo scene example and now I want to use also the awesome and well done new missiles

HOW TO ADD THE MISSILES TO THE TURRET FROM DEMO SCENE?

For something specific, you have done a good work with the missiles and I have seen that they are an independent weapon projectile, I mean that when you put them on the scene alone (with the script), they are activated automatically when you hit play

Please, can you be so kind to tell how to add this missiles to the turret?

I have seen that the F3DX Controller script is the one that has the list of the weapons available in the turret demo scene

So how can I modify the F3DFX script to be able to include also the missiles in this list? What script part should I add?

Also I should modify the F3D Audio Controller to add the sound of the missiles

Thanks very much for your help if you can

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  45. s7

s7

Do you have multiple cameras? Could be the refraction issue if so. I had to put a plane with the refraction material (uses GrabPass) to get rid of the artifacts on all the included cameras in the scene.

Anyway have you found a workaround yet?

46. s7

s7

Basically saying you need to add the missile prefab to the object pool and see how the weapon types are handled. It would be as simple as modifying the controller code by adding new weapon type and handling the audio.

Not sure why you want this though, as I said earlier it would be better to start with your own controller for your project. Thing is this is a sample and its built to cycle the weapons and spawn them along with the audio.You wont be able to track them or deal the damage on impact.

Anyway... start with the F3DFXController:

Add the new weapon type and all the required inspector fields to handle it. Don't forget to add the new UI string for your weapon type. It will be handled automatically.

Add new weapon type method - LaunchMissile() in the end of the script. See the existing examples for spawning different weapons. Same applies to the audio! I recommend you leave it for now and fix the new weapon type first.

Now see the Fire() method and add new 'case' statement that will call your LaunchMissile method.

Add the missile prefab to the object pool and the inspector field of F3DFXController. These should be the same because the controller refers to the same prefab when you spawn in using object pool.

Setup the missile prefab if required.

I think that would be all. Press play and select the weapon type. And by the way to speed up the testing process, you can set the Default FXType to your new weapon type, so you don't have to scroll it to the end when you test the controller.

47. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Yes, I have a stack of six cameras. I guess I could use a bit more detail on the fix. Just put a quad in front of the camera that uses the refraction material?

For the explosion, my workaround is just to disable the GameObject that does the distortion effect. That one causes serious gameplay issues, since the HUD is essentially gone after the first explosion otherwise, so just turning it off is better for now.

I don't have a workaround for the warp tunnel (the distortion is a bigger part of that effect). That one isn't as noticeable, since it's during a non-interactive warp sequence, which then loads a new scene and resets the HUD elements, but it does look a little weird.

48. s7

s7

So when I was building one of my scenes, I have noticed a strange distortion shader artifacts with one of two scene cameras. Found the answer quickly on the forums and put a quad the center of the camera so it's facing its Y-axis and moved it a bit in front of the camera. Enabling the distortion material quad on this camera fixed the problem. The UI worked fine as I was also using NGUI. Cameras set to deferred with HDR on in linear color mode.

Try to figure out which camera causes the issue by enabling the UI and moving down enabling each additional camera trying the distortion effect. Pick one of the looped example explosions to speed up testing process.

I cant be sure for this method and how it works for you, though the symptoms you have described are pretty similar to what I had.

49. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Thanks very much for the detailed explanation and how to do it, will try it

USE SCI FI EFFECTS FOR PLAYER AND ENEMIES

I have given this asset to a Unity expert that is making some things for me

I want to use these awesome sci fi effects with the player AND also with the enemies that will attack the player, but he has told me that it is not possible because you have not designed it for multiple uses

This is the text that he sent me

But I have a very bad news the weapons system from Forge3D have not been designed in such scripts to be used by multiple entities.

The most import script is F3DFX Controller, which manages the effects relative to prefab in Forge3D/Scifi Effects/Effects folder, the lighting effect, the position origin of fire, shell particles , rate of fire... . But all other script and himself refers to a static variable trick to this one without having to reference with public variable. (it’s like a singleton)

This means that the script F3DFX must be present only one time in the scene, so you can only have one object that can emit effect. Moreover, he hasn’t managed the effects that aren’t projectiles type, like lasers etc ... that's why they don’t cause the destruction of cubes

Please, is this true that it can ONLY be used just on player and not on enemies because there can be only once object than can emit the effects?

Is there a possible way to have more than one emitter in some way?

Could the F3DFX controller be updated to allow to be used more than one emitter?

Can you suggest something to be able to use these effects with player and enemies together?

Thanks very much for your help and hope that you can explain and possibly be able to find a solution

Best wishes

50. s7

s7

DON'T USE THE WEAPON CONTROLLER SCRIPT IN YOUR PROJECT - THIS IS AN EXAMPLE SCRIPT FROM THE DEMO SCENE!

Once again I have to remind you about this package is a particle effects collection, not a plug in play solution that will solve all your troubles. This is not a ready to go weapon system - you will have to adapt and reuse some bits of it, especially when it comes to scripts.

If you have no coding skills, then ask someone to code it for you. You may reuse the weapon scripts, such as projectile or beam with your own weapon controller. This is up to you to design it for your game, not to use existing sample and asking experts opinion and judging the example scripts.

The weapon controller is built for the turret example scene only and what it does it just toggles weapon types and spawns the prefabs. This example should give you an idea on how to do something similar.

Like it is said in the manual, these scripts may require modifications to fit. The same applies to the fx controller, however there is no point on updating the sample effects controller at all! Start with your own and make it work exactly they way it should for your project.

Link the weapon scripts (projectile, beam and so on) to the controller. You will probably have to modify them to deal the damage and destruction.

If you don't like the way the weapon script are designed, you may have to create your own using the existing textures and other effect pieces. This is not a complete weapon solution - this is a particle system collection!

I have nothing to suggest you besides trying to understand how your game should work and where to put those effects.