Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Sci-Fi Effects 2.02 BETA! New Modular Features and FREE Update

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Dec 6, 2014.

1. s7

s7

Sci-Fi Effects is a collection of 90+ weapon and effect prefabs counting 66 bonus sounds, new modular Turret Constructor, Tracking Controller and a redesigned Pool Manager.

Click to buy Sci-Fi Effects

WHATS NEW?
    Sci-Fi Effects goes BETA and will continue to improve including even more features over the next updates.

To kick things off, we’ve added several new elements into play, including new Modular Turret constructor, updated Turret Controller along with the revamped PoolManager and we’re excited to share the details on the major changes occurring this update.

GO MODULAR!
    Counting over 22 turret components enables thousands of combinations covering both Desktop and Mobile devices throughout several LOD groups and PBR/Mobile materials.

All the replaceable turret parts are supplied with unified textures with maximum texture resolution up to 4096x4096 for Desktop and 2048x2048 on Mobile.

At this point we’ve established Turret polycount according to:
    • LOD0 - up to 5000 polygons per assembled turret
    • LOD1 - up to 2500 polygons (is also used in mobile version)

TURRET EDITOR
    To reduce the amount of time needed for turret parts swapping, we're happy to introduce the modular approach we’ve been working to create, manage and keep turret templates, which are shared across the entire project in a ScriptableObject database.

TURRET CONSTRUCTOR

One of the greatest thing about Turrets is the ability to sculpt any turret design no matter what type you’re trying to build. In the very same way, we also allowed the automatic parts assembly on a turret skeleton using the constructor utility component.

TURRET CONTROLLER
    Perfect for any kind games the redesigned turret controller is now highly customizable including arcs of fire handles and several aiming algorithms.

POOL MANAGER
    The updated Pool Manager allows you to toggle between a group of pools and contains a lot of useful innovations such as load balancer, a scriptableObject database and separate settings for each pool.

WEAPON AND SPACE EFFECTS:
    • Modular turret parts counting 22 components
    • Turret Editor and Turret Constructor
    • Turret Controller
    • PoolManager
    • 12 ready to use weapon effects
    • 8 Explosion effects
    • 8 Missile models with additional LOD
    • Missile prediction controller
    • Trail and exhaust effects
    • Warp Tunnel
    • Warp jump
    • Burnout effect
    • Holographic effect
    • Fading debris field
    • Nebula clouds

The package contains Linear and Gamma Color Space prefabs.

LEARN MORE

Discover extra details in our Blog or check out the Sci-Fi Effect Product Page

Head here for the Online Documentation Center

Please note, that as we progress through the beta, we may take additional changes to deliver the best experience and performance.

[Version 2.02b]
    • Build errors have been fixed
    • Beam UV Animation has been fixed
    • Turret's scene missing weapon sockets has been added to MLRS and Laser turrets
    • The package has been extended with additional Unity 5.3.6 support
    [Version 2.01b]
    • Pool Manager database creation path is fixed. We have added the string path variable to the editor script pointing to the "Assets/FORGE3D/Resources/F3DPoolManagerCache" folder.

• Pool Manager: Limit frame and Keep target FPS is now applied correctly

• The FORGE3D menu in the Unity Editor includes several new links and categories

• The Sci-Fi Effects video overview added to the product page
    [Version 2.0b]
    • Added 22 modular turret parts for PC and Mobile
    • Added Turret Editor
    • Added Turret Constructor
    • Added Turret Tracking Controller
    • Pool Manager complete redesign

• Fixed bugs, errors and warnings from legacy version

• Multiple turret duplicates are now allowed reusing the legacy weapon controller

• Warp tunnel fixes

BE THE FIRST TO KNOW WHATS COMING
    Swing by our forum and help us build the community! We also highly encourage you to subscribe to our mailing list for the latest updates and the development progress straight from the farthest corners of the galaxy!

-----

REACH US OUT

Found a bug?

Please submit a case in the Bug Report thread and we will squash the bug away!

Want to share your thoughts?
    We sincerely appreciate your time to give us comments and ideas. There are always things that we could do better. Please share them in the Feedback and Suggestions thread.

Have a question or need help?
    For a non-urgent matter, please submit in the Technical Support thread. You can also use our Contact Form to communicate to us directly. We'll give you a prompt a thorough response.

Available in the Untiy Asset Store:
    Click to buy Sci-Fi Effects

Last edited: Dec 13, 2017
    dstew, DotTeam and HereVR like this.
  2. ZJP

ZJP

Woaaaooooo!!!. :eek::cool:

3. hopeful

hopeful

This seems like it is a well done kit, the sound and ammo effects are high quality.

Are there any planned upgrades?

4. gurayg

gurayg

Hello,
    Looks very good.Good luck on your Asset store journey :)

-It might be a bit early to ask but did you test your shaders with Unity 5 betas?
    -Says "includes a custom time class", what is it used for? If game drops down to slow-mo, do we have to make a special treatment for this class?
    -What will be the final price and when do you think that's gonna happen?
    -Looks like particles also spawn lights. How does this influence performance?or do you make some magic for such effect in your shaders?
    -Flamethrower looks very good with its partciles and heathaze shader. Do you think its possible to use it as a regular flame particle?. As a camp fire, or a burning car,crate...
    -I'd like to know the same thing for the "lighting gun" as well. Is it possible to use this particle on a flat surface with random spawn and end points? As an object is electrified.

Hope you don't mind answering lots of questions :)
    Thanks.

5. Bradamante

Bradamante

Looks promising, but I can't test the web-based demo, since I am still on 4.5.5, not 4.6. Can you downgrade the web demo?

6. s7

s7

Cheers. It's very important to collect first user experience and prepare next update based on customer's feedback and of course there are will be new features included such as warp effect and space debris clouds. Feel free to suggest a new feature. It's always a pleasure to hear from you guys.

7. s7

s7

Thank you very much good sir :)

-It's good you mentioned Unity 5 as I do have plans on making it fully compatible and some early test will be made to make sure everyone has a chance to enjoy the package when Unity 5 becomes public.
    -Timer class is an efficient battle tested solution for triggering various timed events for the effects based on delegates, such as spawning with delay, despawning by the end of lifetime and so on. It's extremely easy to use as it requires a single call to start a timer. The manual has a section describing this in a greater detail. And yes it plays well with slow-mo so no special treatment is required.
    -I am sure the current price will last for a while since it's very important to collect first user experience and prepare next update based on customer's feedback. The price will be increased incrementally with each new update. I cannot give you exact date when the update will be released but I can assure you it will last for the next two weeks.
    -Point lights are attached to muzzle flashes and flamethrower prefabs mainly and this may be a major bottleneck in terms of good performance if not used wisely. So feel free to remove the point light as you like or specify a hard limit using Unity's Quality Settings.
    -Absolutely, you can easily modify both heat and flame particle systems to produce the desired result by shaping it's life time, speed and emitter base.
    -Lightning gun is made of two line renderers controlled with scripts. The end point is calculated with help of raycasting. It will require some modifications but I think it's possible by altering both positions based on some specific offsets provided. But there might be a better way of doing an electrified effect by simply using a particle system with animated sprites. I think I might create one in the next update.

Thank you for your questions and I hope you enjoy using Sci-Fi Effects!

8. s7

s7

Cheers. Unfortunately it is not possible to downgrade the web demo. I suggest you uninstalling your current Unity player. There is a page describing this procedure in great details: http://answers.unity3d.com/questions/43303/how-do-i-uninstall-the-unity-webplayer.html
    Then you can use native web player demo page generated by Unity http://forge3d.com/webplayer/scifiwebplayer.html to upgrade to the required version or download latest version by following this link https://unity3d.com/webplayer

9. ZJP

ZJP

A suggestion: add a "sonic visual bang" on some effects. The sniper for example.

10. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

wow ... these look great. Insta-buy for me.

s7 likes this.
  11. s7

s7

Nice one. I can think of several ways creating this effect. Will add it to my checklist

12. s7

s7

Cheers. Hope you enjoy using Sci-Fi Effects. Feel free to drop me a line if you ever need a hand or have a feature suggestion.

13. s7

s7

Currently accepting new ideas and feature suggestions. If you have something cool on your mind that could be a part of Sci-Fi Effects make sure to share your idea... and who knows, maybe we will see it in the upcoming update!

14. hopeful

hopeful

Well ... I have a small suggestion. While I know it's just a demo object, it would be nice if the auto-turret model had a touch more animation, like a charging light before an energy blast and a recoil mechanism when firing kinetics. It would make the auto-turret a bit more like an extra value item in the set, and I think it would help sell the weapon effects.

15. s7

s7

That would be a great addition but I wouldn't just stop on one turret ;) Can you suggest turret types and configurations you like to see?

hopeful likes this.
  16. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I picked this up as soon as it hit the store. So far it looks great! And the early pricing is a no-brainer.

One super minor thing is when importing I got a dialog box about Solo Gun/Textures/solo_gun_flames_02.tga being used by a material as a normal map, but not marked as a normal map. I went ahead and hit Fix now.

I love how you've blended the image sequences with the 3D particles on the explosions. They look great. A lot of the effects will drop right into my space game (would have to change the gravity to zero on the explosions is all). I attempted similar explosions, hits, muzzle flashes, pulse weapons, and beam weapons, and while some are OK, I can easily see swapping out many of my weak effects with the stuff in this asset.

You already mentioned some warp effects, which I'd be interested in for sure. I have a decent enough external effect when other ships warp in, but my first-person effect for "going into hyperspace" is pretty weak.

The space debris clouds could be interesting too.

My suggestion would be some sci-fi thruster particle effects and maybe even some looping sound effects to go with them. I'm currently using one I adapted from the afterburner effect that's in the Unity sample assets project. It's actually pretty cool, but a tad boring.

17. s7

s7

Thanks for the review and its a pleasure to know you enjoying the asset. A dialog box regarding using texture as a normal map is probably caused by different materials (heat and additive) sharing the same map. You should ignore the warning and make sure you reset solo_gun_flames_02.tga to texture instead of normal map. I will make sure this issue will be fixed with the next update.

It's good you mentioned first person warps. It could be a possible addition to Sci-Fi Effects as well as thrusters and debris.

18. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Pretty awesome dude!

19. ZJP

ZJP

Good idea. Lack this kind of effect on the Store. :cool:

20. s7

s7

Thanks man! I'm glad you like it. Hope to get more people to this thread as soon as the Sci-Fi Effects description updates on the Asset Store.

21. s7

s7

Can someone provide feedback on the sample scripts included with Sci-Fi Effects? Do you think this package could use a better object pool solution or maybe more customizable projectile scripts?

22. LaneFox

LaneFox

I just got it today, but I'll probably be looking into it this week and should have some feedback..

23. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I haven't looked too much at the scripts, but in my case, I'll need to incorporate the effects into my existing code. So I'm not sure how important it is to have a lot of scripting logic beyond controlling the visuals. Though I could certainly use customizable effects, if that is what you mean. Like it'd be nice to be able to change the colors of beams and pulse weapons, etc, if that's not already there.

For pooling, I use Pool Manager, so I don't have any need for a separate object pooling solution. Well, assuming that everything in Sci-Fi Effects works with that (any prefab should work).

24. s7

s7

Most textures in Sci-Fi Effects come colorized by hand when it necessary. I believe this way it produces better results with richer colors rather than using black and white with post shader coloring (still there are cases when there might be no difference at all). There could be more color variations added on demand or even a black and white version of some textures. Despite of hand coloring, you can customize the effects based on your personal preference.

All the scripts included are made in mind with object pooling that way it's already compatible with Pool Manager and use the same OnSpawned and OnDespawned events.

Thanks for the heads up and hope you enjoy using Sci-Fi Effects :)

25. hopeful

hopeful

I think most players like gadgets that have a little extra movement or lighting. So here are some basic ideas:

Shell ejection (which you already have), laser sighting, spinning barrels, recoil absorption, charging lights, maybe a simple load / reload animation (esp. for missiles ... are the Seekers missiles?), a repair animation, the option to set a restricted or (nearly) full range of targeting movement, set speed of rotating / targeting, maybe an ignition mechanism of some sort for the flamethrower that would precede the flame (thereby hinting to the player they are about to get scorched) ... ?

Naturally, somebody might want to apply a force field to an advanced tech turret. So if you have an advanced tech model that is mainly for energy bolts, it might be constructed to work / look good with a FF, or possibly have a FF generator component modeled onto the turret (with a FF emitter and/or basic "health" indicator of some sort like a color change or blinking indicator). For a simple solution, I would probably add a sphere that would encase the turret and put your FF shader on it, but maybe you have a more sophisticated idea.

As far as turret types go, I imagine a logical route to take would be to have mainly a kinetic weapon type turret and an energy weapon type turret. Possibly the flamethrower would be a separate type (with one or more pressure tanks and some optional metal shielding; this could potentially double as a poison gas weapon, smoke generator, or other such thing). Possibly the rail gun would be a different type of turret as well, being a high tech kinetic weapon, and probably with long rails and a charging mechanism that lines the rails. I suppose the most primitive type of turret would be for the shotgun effect, and it might even be a smallish not-so-turret like thing, maybe more like a claymore mine or thick square tile that you'd stick on a wall, with a simple short-range motion sensor and optional "armed" light.

s7 likes this.
  26. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

i tested the scene, every time it spawn an effect, its despawned, but there is no recycling ? so if you shot for one minute your pool will grow a lot.

27. s7

s7

Hey Damien, thanks for pointing out. The sample pool has no option to spawn additional effects in case it gets depleted, which means it wont grow bigger than specified for current prefab. The only option I can think of is the fact it's visually hard to track and the rest of pooled items which might be left intact after first iteration. Try this, in the turret scene set projectile, muzzle, impacts and audio to one item each in pool settings for Vulcan weapon effect and try running the demo. With that said, can you be more specific and describe the steps which made you come to your conclusion?

28. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

well to me pooling is reusing a limited number amount of object. it seems that in your assets it instanciate then disable the object after using. but some of the projectiles are not reused, they are left disabled in the scene.

29. s7

s7

That's true. You are probably talking about spare objects left disabled and that could be easily modified by setting the initial amount to be spawned at start.

30. s7

s7

Great turret specifications you have here, love it. Seekers would become real missiles soon with more of its kind added over time, and there is a space for flamethrower ignition for sure. As for the turret models it will take some time to create, though it would be a great addition to Sci-Fi Effects.

31. s7

s7

Sci-Fi Effects free copy giveaway!
    Voucher code: Redeemed. Stay tuned for more!
    To redeem this code go to Asset Store - User Account page - Redeem Voucher. New voucher code will be posted soon. Be the first one to grab your free copy!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  32. gurayg

gurayg

Wow! Lucky me :)
    Thanks for your generosity.
    I think I'm going to purchase your Force Field asset now :)

33. s7

s7

Congratulations! Hope you enjoy using Sci-Fi Effects. Please take your time to rate the asset and feel free to leave feedback in this thread.

34. s7

s7

Sci-Fi Effects free copy giveaway!
    Voucher code: Redeemed. Stay tuned for more!
    To redeem this code go to Asset Store - User Account page - Redeem Voucher. New voucher code will be posted soon. Be the first one to grab your free copy!

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
  35. s7

s7

Giving away last Sci-Fi Effects copy!
    Voucher code: Redeemed.
    To redeem this code go to Asset Store - User Account page - Redeem Voucher.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2014
  36. Tyberious

Tyberious

37. s7

s7

Congratulations to all lucky winners! Enjoy using Sci-Fi Effects and please don't forget to rate and leave a review! Feel free to post you feedback in this thread. :)

38. radimoto

radimoto

I picked this up, really impressed with it so far and looking forward to any future updates!

I have done some initial testing with Unity 5, at present F3DShotgun.cs needs to be deleted to allow the API upgrade to complete. The Turret demo scene then works really well in the Game View.

Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Code/F3DShotgun.cs(7,28): error CS0426: The nested type `CollisionEvent' does not exist in the type `UnityEngine.ParticleSystem'

39. LaneFox

LaneFox

So I played with a few of the effects and stuff. I didn't get that far into it. Really, it doesn't seem like an "effect" package, because that would imply that they would be standalone and modular, which they don't really seem to be. It's more like an elaborate turret kit than an effects package.

I really don't want the turret at all. I want the effects, but they seem to all be tied together with a conglomeration of scripts that don't seem to be very flexible in terms of incorporating them on your own weapons. It's all a bit confusing. Maybe I'm missing something?

Anyway, with the little time I've spent with it the first impression is that there is way too much Turret stuff and not enough generic effects stuff to be called an effects kit.

40. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I just incorporated one of the beam effects into my existing game by using one of the weapon effect prefabs and it wasn't too bad (it needs to be scaled up a bit though). Also, some of the effects like the explosions have prefabs that appear to work as generic Shuriken particle systems that could plug into just about anything.

I assume the included scripts are just examples to get you started.

But I agree, I do think the kit would be more useful for integration into existing games if there were "visual effects only" versions of the prefabs/scripts. It took a bit of effort to identify what parts of the F3DBeam.cs script I needed, since my existing code already does raycasts, handles impact points/muzzle flashes, and plays sound effects via Master Audio. Plus I don't want the ApplyForce thing on targets. I ended up yanking 80% of the code out and leaving just the UV animation code.

41. LaneFox

LaneFox

Same here, and I think thats what I'm basically getting at. When I tried to use them standalone and realized that the UV animation stuff was in the scripts I just moved on instead of trying to strip the code down myself. When selling a generic effects kit, its not good practice to intertwine critical effects features with an elaborate scripted turret package that the vast majority of users are going to throw away to get to the actual effects.

Flickayy likes this.
  42. s7

s7

Hey thanks for your feedback. It seems like it's the only issue with Unity 5 at the moment as I already received the same error report a while ago.

43. ZJP

ZJP

Yes, +1000.

Bad news... :(

44. s7

s7

Its not true. Good news there's preview scene provided which has all the effects without any scripts or anything that might confuse you. More of that the are several versions of effects prefabs. I would suggest using ones which come in weapon folders and could be incorporated directly into your game without getting to know example scripts.

45. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply...

46. s7

s7

The beam script actually has more features than just UV animation. UV tiling could be done via shader but please don't forget that you have to do scaling over the distance to make the texture look consistent without any stretching. In case you come with your own scripting solution then its just a matter of removing F3DBeam from the prefab. Not that hard at all ;)

47. s7

s7

There are particle scaling script which helps a lot when you need to scale a particle system and all the child systems. You just put that on the root object and pull a slider. Very simple and powerful tool which saved me tons of time.

Yes the included scripts are used with the turret web demo (which is included and you know that :)) and first of all it's just the examples with well commented code. By the way, the manual chapter states following: Please note that example scripts provided may require additional modifications before they can be used in your project or may not be suited for usage in different environments at all.

I know that most of you have your own weapon systems and that's why there are stripped effect prefabs. Just like I said before, there are "visual effects only" prefabs categorized in weapon folders. For example Plasma Gun prefabs could be found inside Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Plasma Gun folder. All it's left is to uncheck looping flag on particle system but that depends on your setup. That would be all required preparations, then you're set and good to go.

You may be wondering why I left looping flag on particle system? Simply because these are used in example scene and I don't feel like keeping track of double amount of prefabs.

Last edited: Dec 15, 2014
  48. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I imagine that'll be very handy when incorporating stuff like the explosions.

In the case of particle effects, I definitely appreciate that they can be used as vanilla Skuriken effects. Makes them very easy to work with.

The thing I started with was Assets/FORGE3D/Sci-Fi Effects/Plasma Beam/plasma_beam_blue, which is line renderer based though. That prefab has a script called F3DBeam.cs that plays sound effects, does a raycast, an AddForceAtPosition, and handles the impact effect. It's not a huge deal for me, but it would have been nice to have a slightly stripped down version of the script that didn't do quite so much is all. It's a working example though and I'd far prefer having it do too much than not enough. :)

49. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Here's a short video showing the blue beam and the main explosion plugged into my space game (the cockpit is very much WIP):

I already had the beam code so that for the first half a second, the beam is thin, then animates to random widths. It works well with the better effect (mine was more of a solid colored beam). Anyway, I'm very happy and just getting started. :)

LaneFox likes this.
  50. Flickayy

Flickayy

Oh my, that pulse effect. <3 I'm in love.