Search Unity

SceneMate Object Manipulation [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Tim-Wiese, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Member123456

Member123456

No rush, thanks for the update!

2. kenlem

kenlem

Hi Tim,

First, Scenemate is very useful. It has really sped up my workflow.

Second, is there a way to add an offset when using the object painter? I'm planting trees and need them to be just below the ground a bit. I see this was asked earlier but not sure if there was a solution.

3. Frantic

Frantic

All good using Unity snapping with CTL key

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  4. im

im

yes awesome tool

but when its running i'm getting a lot of

also on rotation tool how do you change the amount of the degree of rotation, its defaulting to 10, but what if i want to do 1 or even .5 or some other angle

also on rotation the button arrows never changed whether x,y,z axis being rotating, this sort of look strange. the button arrows should match the axis being rotated so that it looks nice.

otherwise nice tool!

5. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

Sorry for the slow response guys, for some reason the forum hasn't been updating me on responses to this thread. I have been very busy with work and other projects as of late but I hope soon to actually release some of the changes I have been working on with SceneMate.

There isn't currently a way to do this with the object painter, but if you paint all of your trees then highlight all of them what you can do is use "Offset Selected" $screenshot.245.jpg on the "Local". That is currently how I work when painting trees. For the future I'm thinking of just adding a checkbox to the object painter that would use the offset selected settings when you paint.

I don't get this one, I'll have to see what the issue is.

The rotation tool could use a type in field with the angle amount, it's one of the tools I use least often so I haven't even thought about that. Thanks for the suggestion I'll add it in on my next release.
    Also good suggestion on the buttons would be helpful to see a change when you change axis.

6. halley

halley

My first purchase from the Unity Store.

At first I was confused how to install it, as the download manager didn't change "Download" to "Import" like most assets. But I got it. The graphic on the website hints that you should find it in your Window menu, but I didn't see any explicit text to that effect.

The version as of today has 6 warnings in 4.2.1f about RotateAround being deprecated. I expect you know it's there. Many people prefer a completely clean log file, so they can spot their own Debug.Log on the status bar. No biggie, just a mention of it.

I don't know if the GUI can tell your script how wide your window is; if so, it might be nice if you could "wrap" or "stack" the elements so they'll fit in a tall-narrow window like the Hierarchy or Inspector. If not, no big deal.

I look forward to using the snapping and aligning tools right away!

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
  7. toto2003

toto2003

i second halley, got same warning here

8. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I hope this tools will get some new updates, I know your very busy ... and hope you can find some time for it

9. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

I have finally got around to updating SceneMate, I am in the process of adding most of the great suggestions that were mentioned here and more. I expect to release the new version in about a months time (but there is no set date, I will try make sure everything works flawlessly before release).

Also the price will be going up because of all of the additions to the Object Painter that are being added. If you want to get in at $10 make sure to do it soon, anyone that has already purchased SceneMate will have a free upgrade.

10. kenlem

kenlem

I love SceneMate. Looking forward to an update. If you haven't already bought it, it's well worse more than $10.

11. Jaimi

Jaimi

Great news - Scenemate is one of my favorite tools. Really speeds up the workflow.

12. rezilausiv

rezilausiv

it's a bit disappointed that the fist step working with SceneMatte failed despite a short documentation.

I just want to move one object in the scene to the same position as an other one.

This says the documentation: "Make the position of the currently selected objects the same as the position of the object that is picked."

-Current selected object(S?)
    -Same position of the object that is picked? >>selected object / picked object? to where? in the scene inspector? And when you push the button "Match Position Target" within the SceneMate menu palette?

Can you please post a first aid step by step tutorial on Youtube or so?

Thanks for a quick help

13. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

A youtube tutorial for all of the buttons will be coming with the next release. Because I realize my documentation may not be the best.

For matching position;
    - Select an object in the scene
    - Press the match position button, then a yellow GUI element will appear under you mouse pointer in the scene view.
    - The next object you click on will be the object's position you wish to match.

14. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

Just a quick update of my progress...

Now you can break out and use individual parts of the bar or you can just use the full bar. The individual parts have the advantage of only having the tools you actually use out and arranged how you want.

Also the work in progress of the new Advanced Options for the Object Painter, many of the options are missing off of the current image, I'm working on how to arrange it all neatly.
    $screenshot.258.jpg

$screenshot.260.jpg

I am also making it completely compatible with 4.3 with this update(no warnings), but still backwards compatible with 3.5+
    I estimate the I will be able to release this in about 2 weeks, I was hoping for the end of next week but because of prior engagements that won't be possible.

- Tim

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  15. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

WOW, That is AWESOME!
    100/10 !! Thanks for the awesome update!!

EDIT: I just noticed you said "still compatible with 4.0+" ..... I am still on Unity 3.5.7, can you make it compatible with Unity 3.5.7 at least (last version of v3)??

16. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

I was unsure when I posted that if it would still be compatible with pre 4.0 Unity, but I have confirmed it will be so not to worry. I'll go back and edit my previous post as well.

17. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome! You are a legend! :)

18. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Great news Tim, really awesome!

19. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

Another update for you guys, so I should just stop trying to set dates for this release as it seems I never get the time I need to meet them...

Things are coming along well, the object painter is seeing a huge update, even from the last screenshot I showed. It is a big part of the reason the update is taking a while, I want to get a bunch of awesome features into it before I do a release.

For now here are two screengrabs from the Advanced Object Painter finished UI (or nearly finished). Tons of new features.
    $screenshot.265.jpg ______ $screenshot.264.jpg

I think this time I will refrain from saying exactly how long until the next release, but it is coming soon!

20. kreischweide

kreischweide

Hi, just bought the tool but have a small problem I can't figure out, but i guess I'm missing something: I'm trying to snap two 2D sprites together, but it's not working. I tried the same with two cubes and it worked fine. Any hint how this could be accomplished? Example image

21. Sibeling

Sibeling

Hi, really nice tool!

A feature that I would like to request is to be able to set a range for random rotations. I'm working on a game with a static angle on the camera, so that would really come in handy. For instance when painting out grass, I want them to still mostly face the camera. Maybe this is already among the incoming new features? Anyway, great stuff!

22. l-stage

l-stage

Hi.

SceneMate is very nice tool, but i have problem and request.

problem-----------------------------------------
    This code is exclusive.
    Caused the failure by other tools.

>SceneView.onSceneGUIDelegate = this.OnSceneGUI;

Please fix as follows code.

>Sceneview.onSceneGUIDelegate += this.OnSceneGUI;

And please do not forget to "-=" when destroying.
    -------------------------------------------------

request------------------------------------------
    I want to place at random what was "AddObjects" in the "Object painter"
    -------------------------------------------------

I am glad when I take it in in the next version.

Thank you for your reading.

23. bocs

bocs

Any update?

Really looking forward to the new version.

24. pneill

pneill

Yeah, I second that. Any update?

25. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

The match tools will work on any objects that contain a collider and a transform. It could be that your 2d sprites do not have colliders.

Thanks for the suggestion! This will be part of the upcoming feature set.

Thanks for the tip, a lot of the code is getting reworked for the upcoming version, I will make sure to follow your advice.

As for the new version, it's still nearly finished. Development on SceneMate has just taken a back seat to my actual job for a couple months and still will for the next month and a half, but after that I hope to get the new version out to everyone.

26. Skyfly

Skyfly

your tool is great. I just can't get the object painter to work. No matter what object I keep selected (tried project, hierachy, scene window) that 'add objects' button does nothing. Any idea? Thanks!

27. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

My guess is that the file type you are trying add to the object painter is unsupported. Make sure the file you have highlighted is a prefab when you press "Add Objects". $Screen Shot 2014-02-20 at 5.50.52 PM.png The file should be a blue box icon without anything else on the icon.

28. Skyfly

Skyfly

Thanks, will try :D

29. CitrusB

CitrusB

Thanks for the amazing tool Tim! I'm posting here because as I updated Unity to 4.3.4 the SceneMate editor window doesn't load anymore.

It seems to be broken, what could be the problem?

30. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

I have yet to try it with 4.3.4, as I am currently on 4.3.1 (works fine on this version, besides the warnings in the console). I'm not sure what the problem could be, I'll have to look into it and get back to you.

31. CitrusB

CitrusB

Thanks! I had 4.3.3 and it worked fine, but I don't see anything that could cause problems with the .4 update... I hope theres a fix, because as many say it's hard to design levels without it after you get the hang of it, haha! Such an useful tool :)

32. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

I can't seem to find a fix to this issue. But what I will do is submit my latest version to the asset store tomorrow night excluding the new object painting tools (which are still in progress).
    The way I have broken up the tool bar into parts with the latest version allows it to work (But why it works broken up and not as a full bar I still don't understand).

33. CitrusB

CitrusB

That's pretty weird, and even weirder is the fact that I tried opening the SceneMate window today again with hopes for it to work... And it does now, without fiddling with anything. I tried deleting and re-importing before and it didn't work, now it suddenly works again without doing that! :eek:

Pretty strange, but at least it works again for now! Will be keeping an eye on the updates, I felt naked without it when level designing! :D

Thanks yet again for the great tool and support, Tim. :)

34. pneill

pneill

Any update on progress? Can we expect it soon?

35. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

An update for SceneMate has been submitted to the Asset Store.

This update address's the issues with Undo Warnings with Unity 4 and up and the issue of SceneMate just not opening on 4.3.4.
    SceneMate can now be opened in smaller groups. So if you only need a few tools from it you can just have those open instead of the whole bar, or open all the groups and arrange them around the Editor how you like.

- Added separate windows for each group of SceneMate so they can be opened individually or put together in
    custom groups.
    - SceneMate can now can reside in any folder and doesn't have to be in the base Assets directory.
    - Fixed Undo Warnings for Unity 4.0 and higher.

The new object painting will be in the next release, not sure when that will be finished but I'm working on it at the moment.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2014
  36. vidjo

vidjo

Oh wow I had no idea this was being updated! Fantastic! The new object painter tools look great. Keep up the good work.

37. CarterG81

CarterG81

I just purchased this asset, but I have absolutely no idea how the Object Painter works.

I successfully added the objects to the Object Painter, but how do I paint?

The documentation is nothing more than a brief excerpt of each function. How do I paint an object?

38. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

After you added the game object to Object Painter, you need to click this button:

srz.jpg

Then the cursor will switch to Object Paint mode.
    I know, it is bizzare. Why doesn't Object Painter just switch to Object Paint mode automatically?!! I think this is a usability issue and Tim will probably fix it in the next version.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2014
  39. CarterG81

CarterG81

I guess that is the problem. I don't have an "Object Paint Mode" button.

The button that looks like, and is placed at, the location of your button, is the "Offset Selected" button.

OffsetSelected.png

When I click it, it does nothing (because no object is selected to offset).

"Please Select Object(s)"

When I open the "Object Painter" window, all that is there is the button to add objects.
    It looks like this:

window.png

I can add as many objects as I like, but I have clicked on this and many other buttons trying to get it to work.

I am using Unity 4.5

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  40. CarterG81

CarterG81

Ah, I see it says "Works with Unity Free / Pro version 3.5 - 4"

Says nothing about 4.5.
    I guess it doesn't work with this version.

41. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

It should work fine with 4.5. I am using it with 4.5.2.

My first question is are you trying to paint to a surface of something with a collider? Do you see the Green Object Painter circles?

screenshot.250.jpg

42. CarterG81

CarterG81

I just tried to add a 2D box collider and made that the "Assign Parent" object as well. I have never seen the green painter circles.

Adding the collider changed nothing :(

I tried a Mesh Collider, and it works, (in 3D, where it adds the GO but doesn't have the right Z rotation to display in 2D). I am doing a 2D game though.

edit: Even when I use a 3D box collider, when I try to paint, it grabs many other layers and loses focus. I can't even paint on top of all of my other 2D objects/background.

43. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

If you don't see the circles it means the Object Painter doesn't detect a surface to paint on. I designed the Object Painter for painting onto objects with Box, Sphere, Capsule, Mesh or Terrain Collider, I just tested it and it doesn't work with 2D Colliders (although I will look into what it would take to make it work with 2D colliders, if its trivial I may be able to have an update rather quickly)

If you trying to paint onto a 2D Box Collider that's the issue.

44. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Try this CarterG81

Start a new project

1. From the top menu bar -> GameObject -> Create Others-> Plane
    2. GameObject -> Create Others-> Sphere
    3. Drag the Sphere from Hierarchy to Project window to make it into a Game Object with the Sphere still selected
    4. Open Scenemate's Object Painter menu (or from Scenemate's main menu) and assign the Sphere by clicking Add Objects
    5. Now click that "Offset Selected" button from Scenemate's main menu, move your mouse to the plane you created and the cursor should change to Object Painter circles and you should be able to paint a bunch of spheres on to the surface. You can also randomize the size (scale) and rotation of the object in the Scenemate Object Painter option menu.

That should work, and as Tim was saying - it's probably because you were trying to paint with 2D collider.

BTW, Tim, how's the "Advanced Object Painter" coming along? Any progress? ;)

45. cubez

cubez

Hi. :) I have two questions.

1. Is the new and awesome object painting getting closer to release?
    2. Is SceneMate compatible with Unity 5 beta or will it be updated to be compatible?

46. Tim-Wiese

Tim-Wiese

Sorry about the slow response guys, my planned updates are on hold. I have too many projects going right now to spend the time I need to make the Advanced Painting happen.

On the Unity 5 stuff, I'm currently using the tool within Unity 5 and there didn't seem to be any issues. So the upgrade should go smooth.

47. ProxyDetails

ProxyDetails

Hi there, I can't see SceneMate under Window menu. 5.0.0f1 Pro - what i did wrong? It is says that i imported everything from package, i have SceneMate folder in my project. Thanks for help

48. buffalovision

buffalovision

bug report: object painter does not support undo

(fix by adding
    Undo.RegisterCreatedObjectUndo (newObject, "Create object");
    at line 97 of SceneMateOnSceneGUI.cs)

I am da bawss likes this.
  49. rezilausiv

rezilausiv

Snapping not working in Unity 5.x?
    Want snap a spot light to the center point of a given object.
    This is a common feature I guess > snapping a light to a placeholder in the scene..
    How this works in Unity 5.x and SceneMate?

While "drag snap" >many errors in the Log!!
    All other snap options ar not working at all.

50. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Tim are you there?
    Seems like Scenemate is broken under Unity 5.1 - Unity is now very anal about everything like namespace and scenemate will be popping red error code that stops all other extensions from loading.