Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Scene - Copy game objects from one scene to another

Discussion in 'Wish List' started by tgraupmann, Mar 25, 2009.

1. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

There is a workaround where you copy scene objects into a prefab to put into a new scene.

I'd rather be able to copy and paste game objects from the scene into another scene.

All the references would be intact.

Even better, I'd like to copy and paste game objects from one project into another project.

2. cyb3rmaniak

cyb3rmaniak

I use this...
    Code (csharp):
    1. @MenuItem("File/Load Scene [Additive]")
    2. static function Apply ()
    3. {
    4.    var strScenePath : String = EditorUtility.GetAssetPath(Selection.activeObject);
    5.    if (strScenePath == null)
    6.    {
    7.       EditorUtility.DisplayDialog("Select Scene", "You Must Select a Scene first!", "Ok");
    8.       return;
    9.    }
    11.    Debug.Log("Opening " + strScenePath + " additively");
    12.    EditorApplication.OpenSceneAdditive(strScenePath);
    13.    return;
    14. }
    This is an editor script, so put it in the Editor folder under your Assets folder in order for it to work.
    Just click on a scene file in your project, go to File -> Load Scene [Additive].
    And it will open it without closing the scene you're working on.

What I do:
    I Save the scene I'm working on.
    Delete all the objects I don't want to copy.
    Load additively the scene I need to copy the objects to.
    Save the scene as the 2nd scene I oppened or under a new name.
    Done.

3. tgraupmann

tgraupmann

Code (csharp):
    1. EditorApplication.OpenSceneAdditive(strScenePath);
    Is there a way to iterate through the objects in your additive scene so you could have a confirm box?

With a confirm box, you could check the imported assets like importing a package.

Maybe even rename game objects as you import them.

4. cyb3rmaniak

cyb3rmaniak

Not that I know of...
    You can maybe keep track of what you had in the scene and use EditorWindow.OnHierarchyChange() to try and enumerate all the new objects that were loaded, and select which ones you want to keep and under what name. It will still load the entire scene though.

This deserves to be on the wish list.
    Just wanted to save you some time until something like this is actually implemented :D

5. DaveA

DaveA

Amen, I wish this too. Actually, I find it nearly impossible to work on a scene with anyone else. If two or more people are collaborating, you are pretty hosed.

There must be a way to get an editor script serialize a tree out to, say, xml, and then import it back in, no?

6. kino

kino

Here's an updated javascript version that works in Unity 2.6.1 Indie on Windows:

Code (csharp):
    1. @MenuItem("File/Load Scene [Additive]")
    2. static function Apply ()
    3. {
    4.    var strScenePath : String = AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(Selection.activeObject);
    5.    if (strScenePath == null)
    6.    {
    7.       EditorUtility.DisplayDialog("Select Scene", "You Must Select a Scene first!", "Ok");
    8.       return;
    9.    }
    11.    Debug.Log("Opening " + strScenePath + " additively");
    12.    EditorApplication.OpenSceneAdditive(strScenePath);
    13.    return;
    14. }

7. mdenton

mdenton

2 years later and this still isn't a thing. How can a professional Game Engine not let you import assets from one scene to another? It's still a huge pain to work on the same scene with someone else. I appreciate you guys patching their shoddy work at least.

8. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

This been working for long long while (> 2 years) now. Open Scene1; Select GO's; Copy / CTRL+C; Open Scene2; Paste/CTRL+V;

Quangvn likes this.
  9. nickz

nickz

Any idea how to transfer game objects from the hierarchy of one scene to another, but in different projects? This would mean that all dependencies would get copied as well. Thanks.

10. Metron

Metron

I think the best solution would be to put those objects into a prefab, export the prefab on one side into a unitypackage and reimport it in the new project.

11. nickz

nickz

This is actually what I'm trying now and seems to be working good enough. Thank you for your reply.