Search Unity

"Save project as" or "save scene as"?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by KingfisherWyvernStudio, Jan 26, 2015.

1. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Hey all,

I'm used to making a backup of my work before adding new things, in essence I save my work with an addition in the name which is the version number. This way the work that actually worked is saved and I can safely try out new things without having to worry I wouldn't have the working project anymore if somethign crashes.
    In example in Game Maker I save a project under the name Rainbow Reef0.1. When I'm going to add something new, I first save the project under the name Rainbow Reed0.2 and add the new thing(s) in there. I do all this inside the program. The project file saves all the information.

How can I best do this in Unity? Do I need to copy the project folder in Windows Explorer (and thus outside of Unity), or can I save the Scene under another name? How does that work with prefabs, scripts, other assets, etc. that are linked to the project?

Thanks for the help!

ETA: For those of who were wondering the same, I found this post by @Adam Buckner in the Space shooter Tutorial Q & A which clearly states to back up the entire folder of your project when Unity is closed.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Well, for clarity - backing up the scene can be effective for a certain type of protection, but it's not a 100% fix.

Backing up, duplicating or "saving as" with a scene file will protect you from mistakes made to that scene. You will have a copy of that scene to "roll back to" if you need to.

It won't, however, protect you from making mistakes to your assets, including your code! Those are kept in your project's assets folder...

So, yes, best to back up your project for major changes to it.

If you are simply making changes to your scene, and want some quick added protection, save a copy of the scene - just be aware that even one edit on one line of code or change to any other asset will propagate into your saved scene file - and this includes changes to prefabs!

3. KingfisherWyvernStudio

KingfisherWyvernStudio

Thanks for the clarification! I'll make it a habit to backup my folders than, in Unity :) I like working with backups of which I can be 100% sure it's functioning completely with everything in it. That's always the easiest way for me.