Search Unity

Make a simple camera system - Gamestrap Editor Camera [Done]

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Rodiaz89, Jun 9, 2015.

1. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Gamestrap Editor Camera [Finished!]

Gamestrap Editor Camera is a tool that helps you navigate around your scenes, it helps with your workflow by saving your camera views in the editor scene so you can go back and forward between them. Use those same states now for your game during runtime, make a quick camera system!

Features
    • Simple UI & input control
    • Works as a runtime camera system
    • Shortcuts for better workflow
    • Supports 2D & render modes
    • Supports iso view & Layer Visibility Mask
    • Supports multiple scene and scene views
    Any feedback is greatly appreciated!
    contact@gamestrap.info

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    alexanderameye, Mycroft and SAOTA like this.
  2. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Rodiaz89
    Simple. Works well.
    Better than other scene view saving tools.

One suggestion that may be important.
    At least, user should be able to easily assign/change names of these camera buttons. :)

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015
  3. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks @Dan2013 for the feedback!
    Yeah I had trouble deciding if I wanted to have names on the buttons or not, I might add it as an option soon, I'll also be adding a new feature allowing the editor camera follow a specific camera in the hierarchy so look forward to that too!
    :)

Dan2013 likes this.
  4. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey @Dan2013 just wanted to let you know that the asset now has the naming + even setting a color to your state.
    I also added a button that allows you to follow the camera you have selected in the scene with the editor camera!

5. Dan2013

Dan2013

Yes. I updated your tool and like new features.
    One little suggestion. Maybe an option to set default color for new buttons is convenient for users.
    Or, users need to set that default color in source code.

Rodiaz89 likes this.
  6. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Glad you liked the new changes as for the default color for now you can change it in the "CameraState" script, I'll think about an easy way to incorporate it.

thanks for the feedback )

Dan2013 likes this.
  7. Dan2013

Dan2013

Does Gamestrap Editor Camera (GEC for short) supports multiple Scene Views?
    I found that if I open multiple Scene View windows, GEC only affects the first Scene View?

8. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

For now it only supports one view, not sure how useful it would be to use multiple views, maybe set the editor camera view on the selectected view window would be nice?

9. Dan2013

Dan2013

For example, you may want to put environment editing jobs into a one Scene View and put character editing job into another Scene View. You may want to keep both Scene Views open concurrently all the time. Thus, you may also want to have independent scene view saves/bookmarks for each scene view.

Just a suggestion. Maybe it is a non-trivial job to implement this feature.

10. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Got it,
    Well my goal for the asset is to keep it as simple as possible (I'm simplifying some stuff in the next version) so I'll see if there is an intuitive way to do that by either having the state save the prefer view or just activate the editor camera that has focus, i'm trying my best to not clutter the tool.
    Thanks again for your time, I'll keep it in mind and see if it makes sense with the other changes :)

Dan2013 likes this.
  11. ptblk

ptblk

Hi, im looking for an asset that allows me to shift my FPSPlayer camera (standard unity one) around the scene, does your asset do this?

Thanks

12. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey, I'm not entirely sure I get what you mean but if it helps I can let you know that currently the asset only works in the editor and its not for runtime, you can save camera views or have the editor camera follow your camera in the scene but not have the camera in game change views during runtime. If you can elaborate a bit more I.could see if I can incorporate what you might be asking for.
    Hope this helps.

13. ptblk

ptblk

Lol sorry was a bit vague. Im doing an arch viz project where i want the user to be able to jump between rooms using the GUI, so bedroom, lounge, garden etc. When he presses the UI button to take him to the bedroom for example, i need my First person player to move to the bedroom location so that he can control it form there again. Very much how they did in in the courtyard unity demo, Im just not advanced enough to understand how they set that up, so looking for an easier solution. If yours doesnt do that, then do you maybe know of another asset that does? Thanks

14. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Ah got it, yeah this asset currently focuses only on the editor camera mainly, maybe later of for future updates I would add a way to connect a camera and a view you have saved within the editor so you can call upon it during run-time. As for an easier solution I don't really know an asset that does that but it should be achievable with some simple logic, I suggest you take a look at the Animator, the parameters in there to activate animations you have set up. Cheers!

15. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

New version is out with a lot of bug fixes and also a whole new UI which should be muuuch better.
    Here is the new video showing the new features and UI:

Dan2013 likes this.
  16. Dan2013

Dan2013

Used this tool again recently, still works pretty well. Like it. :)

Now, it seems that your solution for multiple-scene scenario is "only effect the currently active scene". That works for me.
    But there may be a little issue for multiple-scene scenario. In one-scene scenario, if I release the camera button, your tool restore previously unsaved camera angle. But that mechanism does not work in multiple-scene scenario. I found that the previously unsaved camera angle may get lost if I switch between scenes while pushing/releasing camera buttons.

17. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey thanks for liking the asset!
    As for the multiple-scene scenario, I'm actually surprised it works already, had not done anything for it. So that being said now that I know that something is off I'll look into it and see what I can find with that "unsaved camera angle" issue as well as some small changes I've made recently.
    Thanks for the feedback as always :)

Dan2013 likes this.
  18. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey @Dan2013 sorry for the delay, but finally I got the time to modify the asset to work with multiple scenes and added a small button to help with the issue you were having:
    Each scene will contain it's own views, so if you select a new scene in the hierarchy it will automatically update the buttons. As for the issue you mentioned, I added the Last View button which pretty much takes you back to that last view state of the editor camera.
    Anyways, any feedback would be great, I won't update this asset soon since I'm restructuring some stuff of the asset so it'll take a couple of weeks before I submit the change. If you need the change asap then PM me and I'll send you the new version. Hope you like the changes :)

19. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Rodiaz89

Oh, I think there is a misunderstanding. When I say "multiple-scene scenario", I supposed to mean "multiple-scene-tab scenario". There is only one scene loaded in my testing case. I just open multiple scene tab to edit it with your Gamestrap Editor Camera tool. I found that the previously unsaved camera angle may get lost if I switch between scene tabs while pushing/releasing camera buttons.

Sorry for the confusing.

20. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Huh interesting, well in any case now the asset supports multiple scenes as well! Anyways I read again your comment with that in mind and I believe now I understand what you mean, I'll have to ponder that one a bit to see what I can come up with. Will get back to you soon with a solution and FYI, I'm making a biiig upgrade soon so stay tuned!

Dan2013 likes this.
  21. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey Dan, Just wanted to tell you that the new update is out with the change you requested and well quite a bit more. I suggest you take a look at the new video that shows the new version of the asset. Thanks for the feedback and hopefully you like the changes!

Dan2013 likes this.
  22. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Rodiaz89
    I tried the new version, and I like it. Nice job! :)
    In addition, in the new version, there is no view transition animation anymore?

23. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

I did some refactoring on how the camera editor was assign its values and that changed as a consequence. I figured it wouldn't be such an issue but if it makes a difference for you then I can add a transition on the next update.

24. Dan2013

Dan2013

I think transition animation helps to build a visual link between previous and next scene view. If adding it back does not bring you too much work, I suggest to add it back in the future. :)

25. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Will do, I just added it to the trello todo list on the next update. as always thanks for the feedback.

Dan2013 likes this.
  26. giraffe1

giraffe1

does this have mousewheel to zoom in and out? And middlemouse button down to pan? And alt + mouse1 + move mouse like the editor controls? In gamemode.

27. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey Giraffe1 :p
    The asset focuses more on camera positions at this moment so it doesn't handle any kind of input during runtime but the asset should also work if you include different behaviours to it. Here is a script I found online with the functionality you might be looking for.

Hopefully that helps and it could be interesting to add some runtime functionality to the asset later on the line! Let me know if you have any other questions.

28. giraffe1

giraffe1

No problem. I apologize for incorrectly reading the description of your asset. That link you provided is EXACTLY what I was looking for. Thanks a lot.

29. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

30. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Rodiaz89
    I still like your asset so much. :D
    Now when I import the asset into Unity2018.2.5, there are some warnings pop out.
    Would you fix the warnings with Unity's new APIs?

Attached Files:

31. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Thanks for the heads up @Dan2013, I'll look into it this weekend!

32. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Fixed the warnings and submitted it to the asset store already, it should be up in a week or so depending on Unity. Thanks again for the warning :p

Dan2013 likes this.
  33. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Rodiaz89
    I may want to report a laggy issue.
    When I repeatedly switching two saved cameras (e.g. keep clicking two saved camera buttons), the Unity may occasionally freeze for a 1~2 seconds. On Mac, it shows a spinning wheel for 1~2 seconds. I am using the newest version (released Feb 22, 2019) with Unity2018.2.5 on Mac. However, I notice this issue for a while.

34. Dan2013

Dan2013

@Rodiaz89
    It seems I get some errors for the newest version (released Feb 22, 2019) with Unity2018.3.6 on Mac 10.11.6.
    From my last post, I only get occasionally laggy moments with Unity2018.2.5.
    Now, with newer Unity2018.3.6, I get the errors shown in the attached file.
    I test your asset with a simplest Unity project that only imports your asset, and makes two saved camera checkpoints.

Attached Files:

35. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey Dan, thanks like always in reporting these things. I looked into the lagging but I couldn't find anything specific. Maybe try profiling the editor and sending me that data from your computer so I can check where the lag is, sadly I don't think I can do much since I'm using a lot of what Unity offers but you never know!

As for the exception in version 2018.3.6, I just uploaded a new version with the fix, should be up in a couple of days.

Cheers!

Dan2013 likes this.
  36. Dan2013

Dan2013

The error is fixed. It seems the laggy issue is gone. Thanks.

37. Larzarus

Larzarus

Just wanted to flag a conflict I discovered between Editor Camera and "Isolationist" ( https://assetstore.unity.com/packages/tools/utilities/isolate-selected-in-editor-57758 )

Basically when activating isolate mode, all the saved cameras disappear from Editor Camera. They don't come back when exiting isolate mode.

Isolationist is an old asset and hasn't been updated in a while, but it is a useful one. But if I have to choose between, I'll take Editor Camera. :)

Just FYI.

38. Rodiaz89

Rodiaz89

Hey thanks for the heads up, not sure how I missed this comment. I'll check it out and see if I can do anything about it.

Cheers and thanks for the compliments :)