Search Unity

Sandbox Prototype

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by BrightBit, Sep 15, 2014.

1. BrightBit

BrightBit

Hi Unity community, :)

here's a small prototype of my current sandbox project: CLICK HERE

As you will find out soon, if you test the prototype, the main influences for this project are Minecraft and the Sims. I even plan to add more "the Sims"-like features for the build mode, like selecting the level you are currently building on or being able to add roofs, undo changes, etc.

There are certain bugs or missing things I am already aware of:
    - sometimes after a jump the player camera goes crazy
    - there might be some tiny holes on top of walls
    - even different ground tiles result in the same step sounds
    - doors in diagonal walls can't be opened
    - opened doors can't be removed
    - you can't place half tiles on ground level

Still, I really would like to know what you think about it.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2014
  2. Dabeh

Dabeh

Very coincidental that I've been working on something just like this and pretty much have put a pause on it when I'm not so busy.

It looks great, but only when you get down into the house, from a distance it looks eh..I think some good lighting is in order(can't wait till enlighten GI allows for dynamic geometry ;)) along with SSAO. It just looks off because there's nothing inside and you had half it hanging out on grass. It's a great start though.

3. BrightBit

BrightBit

Well, thank you. Can you show some progress of your project? I'm really interested in other people's solutions...

BTW: I'm not sure if I understood you correctly. Do you mean that from the inside the graphics looked good but from the outside it didn't because the way the buildings are integrated into the grass?

Here's a screenshot of multiple houses where some streets in the background make it look more urban:

4. FervInt

FervInt

That is a lot of work, well done, I like it. I am a big tile fan myself and would be interested in some of the technical details of this. You have a blog somewhere with that kind of information?

I found it a bit difficult to play via the web version because my mouse was both in game and still interacting with my desktop.

5. BrightBit

BrightBit

Thank you. BTW: You need to press ENTER to toggle fullscreen mode on and off to avoid this mouse problems.

As of now I don't have a blog but I want to start one and I will keep you posted. ;)

6. BrightBit

BrightBit

I've made some small changes to the prototype:
    - different footstep sounds on different ground tiles
    - rendering of a grid while in build mode
    - visual and audio feedback when creating walls and fences
    - fixed minor bugs (z issue with doors, wall handle hidden behind objects, etc.)

Here's also a small video to hopefully increase your interest because it's also showing some basic car physics, so you can get a feeling for where I'm heading to:

7. CrazieSiberian

CrazieSiberian

Really nice game you got here. I really like it.

8. BrightBit

BrightBit

Thank you. Right now, I wouldn't call it game since a lot of features are still missing but I really appreciate that you already think it's interesting. :)