Search Unity

Sales numbers from the Mac App Store opening day

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Martin-Schultz, Jan 7, 2011.

1. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Whoa, thanks for pointing out! I wasn't aware I'm featured there. Awesome. Yesterday my sales went up and I had no idea why. I post later today the actual data from yesterday.

4x4: 145 sales
    Bubble Bang: 6
    Bubblez: 4

Here's the sales curve from 4x4 from the last days (taken from AppViz):

Yeah, glad you brought this point up. It's awesome to get so many numbers from different games and positions to see what it means to be at which place. I'm quite thankful that so many dev's share their numbers here. Awesome, keep it up!

Last edited: Jan 16, 2011
  2. seon

seon

Oooer, graphs are a great idea Martin!

Here are our StuntMANIA sales to date in units from AppViz.

We finished on 1267 units at #16 global US paid apps on the 15th of Jan, and we are current #14 global US paid apps as of now... so we are still creeping up, but I am doubtful we will make the top 10 :(

3. mehware

mehware

Good Luck Seon!

4. Thomas-Lund

Thomas-Lund

We have ended down in I guess a normal sales level with around 30 units a day. Still great if this is the tail. Much better than releasing free browser games :-D

But wish you best of luck Seon and Martin!!! Go go.

5. mehware

mehware

I noticed in the Mac App Store that they display the top 12 apps. Seon is in 14th, i bet the numbers are exponential if it bumps up two spots! Go baby Go!

6. seon

seon

We were already #13 yesterday all day, but couldn't get up from that... I'd say that unless a miracle happens (pixelmator gets pulled from sale - hahaha) we wont hit the top 12 or top 10 now.

It doesn't matter tough, even at #13/#14 we are doing way better than our wildest dreams for what SM would do.

If only Apple would hurry up and approve our other games waiting in the queue!

7. seon

seon

So seems start of each week (Monday specifically) is a lull day... Our ranks stayed high and steady, but our sales were down 30%.... this was the same as last Monday too.

Can anyone else corroborate this?

8. mehware

mehware

I am pretty sure Saturday and Sunday is where it spikes so it makes sense it goes down Monday.

9. NomadKing

NomadKing

Back-to-work Syndrome probably leaves people too depressed to fully appreciate awesome games and buy them ;)

Thanks for posting the numbers and graphs, nice to see some data from this.

Congrats on StuntMANIA doing so well :)

10. seon

seon

Just got the sales figures for StuntMANIA for the 18th in... 866 units. Seems we are on our downward path now... lets hope for a very looooooong tail hey!

Here is our latest graph.

It's also not a bad place to start a decline from too, so no complaints here... Just wish Apple would review and release our other 3 games waiting in the queue.

11. seon

seon

Shorter tail than we had hoped for so far! Oh well :)

Anyone else want to share their graph/data since launch?

12. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Hope it picks back up for you... thanks for the posts and best of luck :) !

13. NomadKing

NomadKing

How long have you been waiting for them to be reviewed? I hear some people saying it can take over a month (probably the most annoying part of the whole process)

14. seon

seon

So far, 1x game at 3 weeks, 1x game at 2.5 weeks and we had StuntMANIA Reloaded at 3.5 weeks, but had to pull the binary and resubmit a week ago :( so thats back at the end of the queue.

I REALLY hope Apple staff sort out their pipeline and get approvals happening faster.

15. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Here we go with the sales results from all my 3 games in the Mac App Store since start:

4x4 Offroad Racing:

Bubble Bang:

Bubblez:

I should mention that the $ amount in the top right corner is the net result already after Apple's 30% cut.

16. Acumen

Acumen

That is some really impressive numbers :eek:
    Man, if only we would finally get going and experience the sales graphs ourselves ^^

Thank you so much for keeping us updated on this topic. At first I was kinda jealous, but it yielded for true and honest respect and admiration :cool:
    Great work all of you guys, you truly deserve these sale numbers.

17. DoctorEternal

DoctorEternal

18. CoatlGames

CoatlGames

i am green of envy of those sale numbers hahahaha :)

congrats on everybody who already got their game live on the app store

19. bgivenb

bgivenb

Lol, I still run 10.4

20. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Damn! Congrats guys, thats some impressive stuff. I really wish I had a game ready for production! Hahah.

How come it looks like martin's graph has net gross (in dollars) at the top, and seon's doesn't have a denomination? Is that money, or units sold?

21. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Oh that is an option in AppViz. You can select between units sold and net income as display result.

22. PrimeDerektive

PrimeDerektive

Wow! 11,000 units in 14 days? That's outstanding! Good for you man.

23. seon

seon

Yeah, I figured there was no need to show $ values as everyone here can multiply $4.99 x units sold :)

We are currently sitting at 13,396 units sold after a a big drop and then a slight rise on the 26th.

Overall we are ecstatic considering its a 4 year old game, though it's had many updates over the years.

We are also over the moon on our reviews/ratings, again considering the content was made to run on an eMac and Pentium 4.

Here is our US store ratings breakdown since launch.

5 Star - x 43
    4 Star - x 10
    3 Star - x 8
    2 Star - x 9
    1 Star - x 4

Some of 1 and 2 star reviews were valid (broken gamepad support in release version) and some were, well ridiculous :) But you take the good with the bad.

We especially loved the review that said would be a 5 star game if it had more than 5 levels, that it needed at least 10...! Well there are 11 levels in the game, so clearly some people just cant count! :)

24. Yaniv

Yaniv

Hello all,

Great info guys, I'm new and I was wondering if anyone can share on how long it usually takes for a game review and approval?

Thanx

25. Yaniv

Yaniv

Hello all,

Great info guys, I'm new and I was wondering if anyone can share on how long it usually takes for a game review and approval?

Thanx, Yaniv

26. seon

seon

Up to a month for some of us, as mentioned earlier in this thread.

27. NomadKing

NomadKing

Those are some prety nice sales figures for the amount of time its been on there, did you do much work to promote the release? or just put it up and sit back?

lol brilliant

28. seon

seon

We to be honest, I only submitted SM because it was the least effort game I had to convert to for Mac App Store at the time and didnt expect it to do much at all, so I set it and left it (apart from some twitter/facebook/blog noise).

Since it went straight into overdrive we haven't really done much to promote it as we don't really know where to promote it. Seems our ratings are doing our work for us at the moment.

For instance, we dropped to #22 overall on US charts for a few days last week, but seem to be back at #16 again for no *marketing* reason. We are not really sure what is going on, but we are loving it all the same!

29. NomadKing

NomadKing

I guess its true about good games selling themselves then lol ;)

30. seon

seon

Hmm, not convinced about that. I think in this case it's the right game at the right time. Not much in the way of car games on the store, and the fact that it was a "Staff Pick" and now is a "What's Hot" pick has really helped.

SM has always sold well for us though over the years, but it's now probably at the right price point too for what the masses want to pay, which is give us many more numbers than we are used too.

SMR will be the test for us as its fresh. It's only a few months old and addresses a lot of the negative feed back we have had about SM over the years as well as some of the deficiencies in the gaming experience. For instance, it has a newer driving/physics model that allows for drift and proper skidding around corners etc. You can do burnouts etc... and we have PROPER stunt tracking now with many different twists, flips and spins that we track. Visually, it's also about 100x better both in cars, levels and effects.

31. NomadKing

NomadKing

I know what your saying about Staff Picks and Whats Hot sections, they really can skyrocket sales of a product, but as you said yourself SM has pretty good sales for you guys over the few years its been out - so there must be something too it that works (hence a good game). The market may have less games to offer at the minute, making it easier for a game to shine, but a game still needs to shine - and SM is shining none the less ;)

The video's for SMR look very nice indeed, a bit like taking SM and turning all the looks and gameplay up a notch. Some of the level designs are very well executed and i'm pretty certain when it goes live it should do well for you guys again (especially with people who liked SM)

32. seon

seon

Well I am happy to say that StuntMANIA sales have increased again and it's still kicking along nicely..... but more importantly, StuntMANIA Reloaded is finally out and available on the Mac App Store, so now we will really see whats cooking :)

My biggest concern has been releasing SMR while SM has been doing so well as I don't want to cannibalise my SM sales with SMR, but at the same time I wanted to get SMR out while the store is still young and SMR can be found easily. Been stressing over it for weeks.

Too late now though as I bit the bullet and released SMR to the wild!

I guess I will know within a few weeks if I should have held up the release of SMR or not. I'll let everyone know how it turns out.

33. seon

seon

StuntMANIA Reloaded just hit #9 overall paid App on US Mac App Store!

The best StuntMANIA ever got to was #11 (just out of the top 10) so I am really looking forward to seeing what the sales numbers for today were! Pity I have to wait until tomorrow night :( Suxors being in Australia and ahead of the US in Time Zone!

34. Yorick2

Yorick2

thats awesome! I'm happy for you. (and just a little bit envious :-o )

35. Lukas H

Lukas H

You should take advantage of having two similair games on the AppStore. Use cross promotion in those games, chances are that if someone likes SM, that same someone will probably like SMR and vice versa.
    I bet it will workout just fine :)

36. Axel-F

Axel-F

Secret Agents! - released yesterday - hit already #34 overall paid app. Thanks to the homepage feature I guess. And I have no idea what that means in sales numbers (because I have to ask Chillingo first and this takes it's time). Speculations are welcome. ;)

Last edited: Feb 4, 2011
  37. seon

seon

Well done... great to hear other Unity devs are having success on the store :)

38. mehware

mehware

Seon, saw SM and SMR as #5 and #6 respectively on the Mac App store in games. Congratz. I am trying to get a new title to the Mac App Store myself before it gets crowded, are the approval times the same as the App Store?

- Matt

39. seon

seon

Review times for updates seem to be 3-4 days which is pretty good... Not sure about full titles now as all of our titles are approved and available.

40. Axel-F

Axel-F

Regarding the approval of a small puzzle game of mine I'm waiting for 10 days now...so it takes its time.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2011
  41. seon

seon

Axel, the difference between #30 and #10 is massive... we have noticed that it is FAR from both a linear scale and a predictable scale.

And on top of that the whole store seems to shift up and down on different days, so #10 on one day will not yield the same as #10 on another day.

42. Yorick2

Yorick2

Time to revive this thread. I really appreciated everyone sharing their numbers so I'll do the same.

Jetlane has been in the store for 3 days:

first day: 10 sales
    Second day: 17 sales
    Third day: 32 sales

Im at 69 top grossing in the US store at the moment. I'll make a chart once I get some more numbers.

I'm also curious if there are review sites that are good or if you guys have found good places to advertise.

43. Yorick2

Yorick2

Well being featured means everything.... atleast for my game.
    Chart from appannie.

Attached Files:

44. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Hehe yeah, would love to see Seon's stats about Stuntmania and SM Reloaded. :)

45. seon

seon

So, SMR has definitely climbed the charts (Again) but it's hard to tell what the cause is. Yes, we have a main banner (Thanks Apple, we love you), but at the same time that we got that and our small Ad on the games section, we also launched SMR 1.1 with some mega new features including localisation, achievement system and new cars. I guess we will never know the exact cause of SMR's sales jump, but are not complaining.

SMR is currently charting top #10 in Games in 38 countries, and is #3 in games in the US (most important sales region) and #15 overall, but with all of that, you have to remember the store now has 3-4x as much content as it did when it first launched so sales figures overall for everyone seem to be lower.

So, what does that mean? That means funnily enough that StuntMANIA Reloaded still has not out sold StuntMANIA on the Mac App Store... it's close, but still catching up.

Cheers :)

46. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

Awesome, thanks for posting that!

47. ezone

ezone

Thanks for sharing Seon - those are great numbers!

Just to give an indication of sales numbers for other mac apps 'Crazy Snowboard' is in the US Top 50 games (around position #30) averaging 100 sales a day. Like the iPhone App charts it looks like sales outside the Top 10 drop off pretty quickly. Also, our ranking seems to jump around quite a bit - which makes sense as fewer sales makes ranking more volatile.

48. NomadKing

NomadKing

Thanks for the info Seon - some nice numbers and some very nice rankings. Congrats!

49. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

Anyone have any new numbers to share? Oh well I will update it when I got some numbers

Last edited: Jul 21, 2012