Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

xARM: Aspect and Resolution Master [v1.9]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Thavron, Aug 16, 2013.

1. grimmy

grimmy

Hi I have Xarm and I'm trying to use it with Multiplatform toolkit AND Diakon forge. I am trying to anchor a UI sprite but Xarm reports that the sprite is not positioned correctly on the different platforms at runtime. The Multiplatform toolkit is sending the events to adjust the sprite positions (I think at game start) and I have disabled any of Diakon forge's in build anchoring. Am I missing something? Is there a compatibility issue?

EDIT: See below...it looks like my gallery windows are displaying the wrong proporortions, but when I go to the preview window they are right. I thought gallery was supposed to display the same as the preview but for each res?

Last edited: Jul 19, 2014
  2. grimmy

grimmy

Yeah, I've just discovered my preview views are correct but my gallery views are displaying something complety different when I hit the little *1 next to the update button. Is that expected. Am I doing something wrong?

Surely 'update' button in the gallery view should update ALL the previews?

3. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.291 is available in the AsseStore.
    Please let me know if there are still issues.

@grimmy:
    Thanks for purchasing!
    Yep, Gallery's 1x Update updates all ScreenCaps.
    Please try the following (all in Play mode):
    1. DFGUI behaves differently in Edit and Play mode. Does xARM Gallery display correct results in Play mode?
    2. Deactivate all xARM auto updates (Edit, Pause, Play) and resize the Game View manually (verify its resolution by its Stats). Is the sprite position correct? If not it's not related to xARM.
    3. Please go through all (or at least a couple of different) ScreenCaps in xARM Preview and verify if all are correct. If all are correct try to use a greater "Update delay" (xARM Options -> Global options).
    Please let me know if you need further help.

4. wags3d10

wags3d10

Hi. I'm having an issue with the game screen not following the resolution set by the xARM preview resolution settings. I resize the Game screen in iPhone 5 resolution to fit on screen. The Game screen is set to Free Aspect. When I switch to iPad retina or Mini retina resolution the Game screen gets huge and at times doesn't show the proper camera view (I can see other screens that should be off screen). I followed the FAQ and reset the editor screen layout setting and also deleted the xARM folder and re-imported xARM and reset up the editor from scratch. I also set the editor DPI to 72. Nothing seems to fix this issue and it's very frustrating. None of the buttons are pushed on the Preview window. Please help. Thanks.

5. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for purchasing!
    I don't know if I understand you correctly, but that sounds like correct behavior.

If "Resize Game View to selected resolution" in xARM Options is activated selecting a ScreenCap in xARM Preview resizes the Game View to match that resolution.
    E.g. if you switch from iPhone retina 1136x640 to iPad retina 2048x1536 the Game View gets huge.
    You can verify Game View's current resolution by its Stats.

If the resolution doesn't fit on the screen:
    xARM Preview can display the ScreenCap in scaled or 1:1phy mode. Use it as a Game View replacement.
    For the interactive part (playing) select a lower resolution ScreenCap. Or you can set Game View to a fixed resolution via Options. If you want to preview the current state with a higher resolution use one of Preview's or Gallery's update options (1x or Pause).
    (It's on my 2do list to check if it's possible to make xARM Preview interactive.)

If the Game View uses the correct resolution (verify by its Stats), xARM did its job and let you know about a resolution dependent issue. ;)

DPI setting has nothing to do with Game View. It's only used by Preview's 1:1phy mode and Gallery's Scale Ratio.
    BTW: A new documentation is in the works.

I hope I could clear things up.
    If you need further help please let me know.

6. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.309 is submitted to the Asset Store and awaiting approval.
    It includes the brand-new User Guide.

Until the new version is live you can download the User Guide here.
    Any feedback is highly appreciated!

Changelog v1.04.309:
    + Brand-new PDF user guide with Getting Started chapter

xARMPreview:
    + ScreenCap is now centered in 1:1phy and 1:1px mode

Several UI tweaks

7. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.309 is now available in the Asset Store.
    Let me know how you like the brand-new User Guide.

8. Thavron

Thavron

xARM does also support uGUI.
    Here's an example Layout with uGUI (Unity 4.6 beta):
    b005.png

9. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.317 is awaiting approval.

Changelog 1.04.317
    new ScreenCaps:
    + iPhone 6
    + iPhone 6 Plus
    + Amazon Fire Phone (added to existing ScreenCap, see "Sample devices")

Bugfix: Some Android Navigation Bar ScreenCaps were incorrect

Some UI tweaks

Sneak preview of iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus at physical size (vs. iPhone 4 & 5):
    iPhone4.png iPhone5.png iPhone6.png iPhone6+.png

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  10. OnePxl

OnePxl

What resolution are you using for the 6 Plus? It's a bit confusing since the 6 Plus has a 1920x1080 screen, but uses an internal resolution of 2208x1242 (which is scaled down by 1.15)?

Thavron likes this.
  11. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for pointing that out!
    EDIT: Unity uses 1920x1080 on iPhone6+ (see below).
    After research I think Unity will render at 2208x1242 (@3x / 1.15).
    (See http://www.paintcodeapp.com/news/iphone-6-screens-demystified)
    I'll fix that or does anyone has some other insights?

BTW: iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have both "Retina HD" displays, but only iPhone 6 Plus uses @3x.
    So I'll also switch the DPI Group from standard, retina and retina hd to @1x, @2x and @3x.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  12. OnePxl

OnePxl

I asked around (was too lazy to dig in the docs): UIKit stuff will use the downsampled @3x for sure. However, it's still possible to get the native screen size by doing a [[UIScreen mainScreen] nativeBounds] and any full screen OpenGL or AVPlayer will also get the native 1920x1080p resolution. As soon as Unity comes out with a build target we'll know for sure.

(I believe that the screen will be upgraded in the future to 2208x1242 for what it's worth.)

13. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.318 is awaiting approval.

Changelog:
    new ScreenCap:
    + iPhone 6 Plus @ virtual resolution

Change: iOS DPI Group now "@1x", "@2x" and "@3x" instead of "standard" and "Retina"

Thanks.
    I contacted someone at Unity but didn't get a definite answer yet.
    For now both iPhone 6 Plus variants are covered by xARM.
    I also think iPhone 7 will probably be native 2208x1242, pixel perfect again @3x.

14. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.318 is available in the AssetStore.

15. OnePxl

OnePxl

I've got some more info. From initial tests with UDK3, it seems that the resolution will be 2208x1242. In the simulator when you take a screenshot, you get an image of that size all the time. From reviews it seems that on-device you get a screenshot of that size as well. So far it looks like the native panel resolution will be ignored. I'm sure we'll know for sure in a couple of days/weeks.

16. Thavron

Thavron

@OnePxl Thanks. Yep, it looks like 2208x1242 will be used by Unity as well. We'll see...

17. OnePxl

OnePxl

Upside: free FSAA!

18. Thavron

Thavron

Yes. Performance stats with native vs. virtual resolution would be interesting.

BTW: First post is updated with some new screenshots.

19. Thavron

Thavron

New xARM v1.04 Quick Overview video is live:

20. Thavron

Thavron

xARM is today's 24 Hour Deal!
    Don't miss it!

21. tonic

tonic

@Thavron, I think there might be a problem with the Gallery view's white box (recommended touch target size). I added some test resolutions (iPhone/Android/WP8). Isn't the white box supposed to stay the same relative size when compared to the scaled image preview? Now when I switch around the gallery view scale/mode using the slider, at least the WP8 800x480px resolution scale box seems to vary a lot (in relative size) depending on that slider and the size I resize the gallery window.

22. Thavron

Thavron

@tonic:
    Thanks for purchasing!
    Yep, the Scale Ratio should scale just as the ScreenCap does. So if the ScreenCap e.g. scales by 50% the Scale Ratio scales also by 50% to still represent the same physical size.
    I've just checked with the WP8 800x480px ScreenCap and it is correct.
    Please retry while e.g. a button is visible so it is easier to compare sizes. If there is still an issue please send me some screenshots of xARM Gallery with the ScreenCap at various sizes.
    BTW: The xARM Gallery slider controls the count of ScreenCaps per row, the ScreenCap size is then calculated by available space. Just to ensure that's not causing confusion.

23. tonic

tonic

@Thavron, now when I tried to figure it out, I think it works fine e.g. with the slider in 1 per row setting, but gets wrong when the setting is for 2 per row but the last row has only 1 entry... It's not a big deal.

Example images below. Notice how relative size of WinPhone8 white rect is totally different in the last image.

24. Thavron

Thavron

@tonic: Thanks for reporting. I've added it to my 2do list.

25. elusive52

elusive52

Hi thavron

i am just considering buying this in the sale now but wanted to ask first. i use ngui with anchors for everything pretty much, so do you think i really need this? what benefit would it give me if all my GUI is already in the correct place whatever the resolution/screen size?

many thanks in advance.

26. OceanBlue

OceanBlue

Hi
    Purchased today and have two issues:

1. Gallery - I'm only seeing ONE (iPad Mini) screen correctly. All of the other sizes for iPhone and Android are white/blank in the gallery view.

2. Export PNG gives me the error, and nothing exports
    DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "/Users/Me/Desktop/Screenies/.png/iPad mini 7.9 @1x 768x1024.png".

3. We also have another bug where we made a new scene. Then when we went to try to open another saved scene, it won't let us. Can't open it. This has only started since installing the plugin

Note that we have a 2D game and we only use 2D Toolkit for sprites

Last edited: Sep 30, 2014
  27. Thavron

Thavron

Even if everything is in the correct place there are still a lot of things to verify.
    A few thing to verify and features you'd benefit from:
    • Verify physical size of buttons, etc. (same display diagonal but different resolutions)
    • Check for overlapping, scaling issues, pixel perfectness, etc.
    • Atlas switching, text readability, etc.
    • Preview of high resolution like iPad retina (higher than your monitor's)
    • Quick switch between resolutions
    • and much more...(please see first post)
    I hope I could answer your question.

28. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for purchasing!

1. If the ScreenCap wasn't updated it shows a white placeholder. Use xARM Gallery's "1x" (manual) update or one of the auto update modes (e.g. "Edit").
    Please see "Getting Started" section of the xARM User Guide for more information.

2. Please check if the export folder path is correct or empty (xARM Options > Global Options > Export).
    Also ensure the ScreenCap was updated (see #1).
    If the issue still occurs please let me know.

29. Thavron

Thavron

Oh, #3 is new or was I blind?

3. Please give me more information here or by mail. What does "it won't let us" mean? If you can reproduce it, please try without xARM to verify it's really related. Thanks.

30. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks a lot for purchasing and spreading the word while 24h Deal!
    Highly appreciated!

31. nukeD

nukeD

Hey, i got xARM during the sale yesterday! I hope you sold many copies.
    I havent read the topic, so excuse me if my question is old.

xARM forcibly pops out my game view window (i guess to render the real pixels), but it completely covers my screen in some cases, preventing me from accessing whats below.
    Is there an option to... not pop it out, or to only temporarily undock it during rendering?

Thanks a lot for your work man... xARM is a time saver!

32. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for purchasing and I'm glad you like it!
    And yes 24h Deal was great. :)

xARM has to undock the Game View to get correct resolutions.
    Unfortunately it's not possible to re-dock via code (and then it would still flicker).
    On Mac the Game View stays in the background, but on Windows it comes to front while updating. (So get a Mac ;))
    Some tricks:
    You can move the Game View offscreen so it doesn't cover the complete screen by dragging the window or specifying a fixed position (may be complete offscreen) via xARM Options (please see xARM User Guide "xARM Options" section).
    You can also select a lower resolution ScreenCap in xARM Preview so the Game View window is smaller.

I've already some ideas on my 2do to improve this.

33. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks man!

34. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

I'm loving this so far, saving me a bunch of time and energy!

Just thought mention that I'm getting the "DirectoryNotFoundException: Could not find a part of the path "<Redacted>/iPhone 5.5 @3x:1.15 1920x1080.png"." bug for the iPhone 5.5 native resolution (both on PC and Mac). Works fine with the virtual setting though. Just a heads up :)

35. Thavron

Thavron

Unity uses 1920x1080 (native, not the virtual) resolution on iPhone6+. (= more performance & pixel perfectness)
    Sources:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/iphone-6-plus-screen-width.269264/#post-1786045
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/iphone-6-and-iphone-6-plus-resolutions-support.267484/#post-1807706

Thanks for purchasing and I'm glad you like it.

Noted. I'll check that (but I'm sure it worked).
    What Unity version are you using?

36. The_BenEvans

The_BenEvans

Version 4.6.0b17

37. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.335 is awaiting approval.

@The_BenEvans & @tonic your reported issues should be fixed.

Changlelog 1.04.335:
    new ScreenCaps:
    + Nexus 9
    + Nexus 6

Added to existing ScreenCaps:
    + iPad mini 3
    + iPad Air 2
    + Galaxy S5
    + Galaxy Note 4

Change: iPhone 6 Plus @ native resolution DPI Group changed to "@2.6x" to better support export
    Change: iPhone 6 Plus @ virtual resolution marked as probable future iPhone resolution (Unity uses native resolution on iPhone 6 Plus)
    Change: Entries in xARM Gallery's last row match the size of all other
    Change: Replaced "Windows RT" with "WinRT" to be more precise
    Change: xARM Gallery's Scale Ratio works without setting Editor DPI
    Change: New User Guide includes latest changes

Bugfix: If last row has fewer entries then all other, Sale Ratio is displayed at correct size
    Bugfix: Changed font style in xARM Options to be more proskin friendly

38. ludos

ludos

i have just bought xArm because i had troubles with ngui "flexible" scaling and "Adjust by DPI" enabled. Unfortunately it still does not work properly in xArm (the gui scale is way off the real rendering on a device). Could you check on this problem?

Thank you

39. schmosef

schmosef

@Thavron, have you started testing with the Unity 5 beta yet?

I just tried importing xARM to a new Unity 5 project and it's throwing some console errors in xARMProxy.cs.

40. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for purchasing!

In theory using DPI based UI scaling is a great idea, but unfortunately many devices report incorrect (or no) DPI values. So it's not possible to rely on that information.

I'd recommend to use anchors + scaling and if needed atlas switching based on resolution.

xARM doesn't simulate device's DPI out of the box, but you can use xARM's Delegate to input the current ScreenCap's DPI value into your UI code. But again I wouldn't recommend using DPI based scaling.

41. Thavron

Thavron

I just wanted to fix all major/known 4.x issues before that.
    Now that's done, testing xARM with Unity 5 beta is the next step.
    Keep tuned ;)

schmosef likes this.
  42. Zenitus

Zenitus

hello I am having problems with your plugin. when deploy the project in the tablets and call the method touchKeyboard.open () it change resolution game how this image , i think the keyboard should appears over the game.

Attached Files:

43. XmileLearning

XmileLearning

@Thavron , Please let me explain a little bit more @Zenitus message (we work together).
    We want to deploy the game to a diversity of android devices.
    Our game needs to use the keyboard for in-game user feedback. When we trigger the keyboard (using touchKeyboard.open) the resolution rescale to the remaining available area, deforming the game view.

How can we open the keyboard covering the game itself?
    Hope that helps you.
    Thanks!

44. Thavron

Thavron

@mfilusiva, @Zenitus xARM's code isn't included in the build game, so this issue can't be related to xARM.
    xARM only runs in the Editor. (You can verify this by removing xARM temporarily from your project.)

Unfortunately I can't give you any helpful tipps on this, beside to look at the reference. There should be a parameter or something similar to activate the overlay mode of the keyboard.

45. Thavron

Thavron

xARM is on SALE - 36% off - for a limited time!

46. cavila

cavila

I'm about to purchase a copy and I was wondering if this was possible with xARM:

My designer would benefit greatly from a single image that overlaps all the resolutions that we want to support. This single 'reference' image would provide a definitive visualization of the 'usable' area around the center of the screen in all those devices. I would imagine all the different resolutions need to be normalized to make this image useful.

In other words, is there a way to get the lowest common usable area between all resolutions selected in one single png?

47. cavila

cavila

48. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for your interest cavila!

Do you mean something like the "Save Area" for movies?
    (see: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schutzbereich_(Filmtechnik), german version has better images)
    That feature is on my 2do list since day one. Nice someone is asking for it. :)
    It would add some lines to xARM Preview to mark the save area.
    I've raised the priority for that feature.

Currently you can use xARM Gallery to see if something is or isn't visible with an aspect ratio:
    xARM Gallery.png

Do you want to export only the save area as png?
    Or all aspect ratios combined to one image so it looks like the images of the wikipedia article?

I just tried and it works from here. The PDF is rather big and my host isn't the fastest so it takes a moment to load.
    Try to download via right click instead of opening it in the browser.

49. cavila

cavila

Exactly! those two things would be great. Good to know it's in the roadmap and I've learned the word for it!.

It seems that flyingwhale.de is accessible for me today. I tried it a couple times yesterday with no success.

50. gordonbr

gordonbr

Anyone tried this asset?

Resolution Presets http://u3d.as/aFu

Apparently you don't need to detach the Game view to use!