Search Unity

xARM: Aspect and Resolution Master [v1.9]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Thavron, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks a lot!

To add a custom ScreenCap please follow these steps:
    1. Open xARMManager.cs
    2. Scroll to "#region Init" (currently line 194). Here are all Screencaps listed. One (landscape) ScreenCap by line. (Portraits are created automatically.)
    3. Find one line that is close to what you need and copy it.
    4. Insert that line under "// Custom" (line 252)
    5. Change the line as needed

For a Full HD 40" screen the line looks like this (DPI, etc. is set automatically if not set manually):
    Code (csharp):
    1.  addOrUpdateScreenCap (new xARMScreenCap("", new Vector2(1920, 1080), "FHD","", 40, 0, "", xARMScreenCapGroup.Standalone, 0, 0f, "TVs, ..."));
    Don't change existing lines and ensure to make a backup of your added lines. After updating xARM you need to insert the additions again.
    Let me know if you need further help.

That issue is new to me and I don't have iGUI. But I'd like to take a closer look at it.
    Is it always slow (also with xARM's auto updates off)? While xARM Preview updates? Or only during xARM Gallery update?
    Any difference between manual and auto update or Edit and Play mode?
    Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2014
  2. iamsam

iamsam

Thanks a lot for the quick reply and for the suggestion on how to change the custom ScreenCap. I will look into it the GUI problem in more detail and let you know where the problem seems to occur.

3. iamsam

iamsam

I think I found the problem. iGUI does not seem to render anything in the Scene editor window, only in the Game window. So it used to slow down Unity when I had "Editor" clicked. It works very well with manual 1x update and for me that is more than enough. Let me know if you want me to test anything additional to help with your plugin.

4. Thavron

Thavron

I'm glad that it works for you with 1x update.
    I think the issue is caused by to many ScreenCap update calls caused by iGUI changing the scene very often per second.

Please do the following to test if that's really the cause:
    1. Open XARMManager.cs
    2. Find this line: (line 346)
      Code (csharp):
      1. public static void UpdateScreenCap(xARMScreenCap screenCap){
    3. Under this line insert the following line
      Code (csharp):
      1. Debug.Log ("Update ScreenCap");
    4. Save the file
    5. Activate Edit mode update
    6. Check if the console gets flooded with entries
    Is the behavior the same with xARM Preview and Gallery?

Thanks a lot for your help!

5. Thavron

Thavron

Just want to let you know of this new feature I've added yesterday:
    https://twitter.com/ThavronFW/status/458733577711407104

@rocki: Thanks a lot for the suggestion! It works great! :D

6. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

That's super Grand.

Can't wait to try it out.

Cheers.

7. iamsam

iamsam

Thanks a lot for looking into it.

I tested it and it does get flooded especially when updating the GUI.

Yes, I found the same behavior in both cases.

Let me know if you want me to test any modifications to the script.

8. Thavron

Thavron

@iamsam: Thanks for testing!

I think an update-limiter should fix that. Something like "Max updates per second: 24".
    I'll try to add it to wip v1.4

9. OzDave

OzDave

love it Thavron! kudos mate

$x_arm.JPG

10. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks a lot!
    Feel free to suggest features.
    Also reviews in the AssetStore are highly appreciated. :D

11. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

I assume I'm not the first one to suggest this, but it would be super helpful if you could dump the images from the gallery to PNG files. Would that be a possible future enhancement?

When submitting to Google Play, it's best to have phone, 7" tablet, and 10" tablet resolution screenshots. For Apple, they want iPad, 3.5" retina, and 4" retina screenshots. I ended up finding a script that dumps out screenshots of the Game window on a regular interval, which worked, but means I had to play the game over and over and hope I got some decent shots each time. It was difficult for some resolutions, since the undocked Game window often didn't fit on the screen.

12. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Hey this is a really great Idea. Definitely +1 for me.

13. Thavron

Thavron

Yep, that's currently the most wanted feature. And I'm indeed currently working on it. :D

Thanks for your feedback!

14. Thavron

Thavron

Export of ScreenCaps in (WIP) v1.4:

$xARM v1.4 export.png

Hope you like it! :cool:

15. Thavron

Thavron

v1.4 will come with Windows Phone 8 and Windows RT ScreenCaps:
    $xARM v1.4 WinPhone8 WinRT small.png

16. Thavron

Thavron

v1.4 is still in the works (nearly finished).
    Sorry for the delay. Unfortunately I could not spend much time on xARM during the last days due some private issues I had to take care of…

17. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.4 is now submitted to the AssetStore and awaiting approval. (It's about time! :mad:)
    It's the biggest update so far. If you can't find your feature request fulfilled, please let me know.

Changelog v1.04.261:

xARM Preview:
    + Auto update in Play mode
    + Export ScreenCap as PNG
    + Export all ScreenCaps as PNGs​

xARM Gallery:
    + Click on ScreenCap selects it in xARM Preview
    + Export all ScreenCaps as PNGs​

xARM Options:
    + New Layout for better overview
    > xARM Preview:​
    + Update xARM Preview while Game View has focus option
    + Update limit in Edit and Play mode options​
    > xARM Gallery:​
    + Update limit in Edit mode option​

ScreenCaps:
    + Navigation Bar (Android) ScreenCap filter
    + ScreenCap infos updated to latest stats (Unity 2014-03)
    + 3 new Android ScreenCaps
    + 3 new Standalone ScreenCaps
    + Windows Phone 8 support (7 ScreenCaps)
    + Windows RT support (3 ScreenCaps)
    + Custom ScreenCap section​

Bugfix: Improved xARMSettings.xml handling for versioning (Perforce, etc.)
    Bugfix: No more Xcode Build warning "The class defined in script file named 'xARMProxy' does not match the file name!"

18. Thavron

Thavron

First post is updated to include the new v1.4 features.

19. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.4 is now available in the AssetStore.
    Let me know how you like the new features! :)

20. Cranick

Cranick

Am I not supposed to be able to move the Unity3d Game View Window? I just recently bought this and am dissapointed that the only thing useful is to take a picture to see if the resolution looks good with that device. I figured this would allow you to play the game at any given resolution while knowing the aspect ratios for each other one.

Right now as it stands it currently tries to iterate through all the resolutions and not actually let you play the game properly.

21. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for purchasing!
    The Game View should be able to be moved as normal.
    But currently it can't be resized manually after xARM did an update (workaround for a weird behavior in latest unity version).
    You can close and reopen the Game View (CRTL/CMD+2) to reset it to normal behavior.
    If there are still issues after reopening the Game View please let me know.

I don't know if I understand you correctly, but let me explain how to achieve this:
    xARM Preview:
    If you select a ScreenCap in xARM Preview the Game View is automatically resized to the selected resolution, so you can quickly switch between resolutions also while playing (using xARM's default settings).
    With v1.4 new features ("Live Preview" / auto update in Play mode) you can also put the Game View and xARM Preview side-by-side (while playing the game) and see it playing at e.g. physical size (input, etc. is still handled by the Game View).
    xARM Gallery:
    If you like to check a couple of resolutions at the same time you can hit xARM Gallery's 1xUpdate whenever you like.
    Or you can set it to auto update in Pause mode and pause the game (e.g. by hotkey).
    While xARM Gallery updates it resizes the Game View to match each resolution.
    If that's causing problems with your game, you can use xARM's delegates to freeze your game while xARM Gallery updates.
    (For more info please also take a look at the ReadMe.)

I hope I could help you.
    If not or you're still miss a feature please let me know.

22. Thavron

Thavron

xARM is today's 24 Hour Deal!
    Don't miss it!

23. Elecman

Elecman

24. uniphonic

uniphonic

I have a retina Macbook Pro, and it seems that Unity normally runs at non-retina resolution, even in the Game view. Will xARM enable me to see the full retina details on my Macbook Pro?

Thanks!
    Jacob

25. Thavron

Thavron

You're right. Unity runs everything at standard/non-retina resolution.
    If you select xARM's 1:1px preview it's the same size as the Game View.
    Maybe the scaled down preview looks sharper then on non-retina displays, but I don't think so because it's limited by Unity's Editor UI.

Currently there is no 1:2 scaled-down option for retina displays. In scale mode it scales down to fit into the available space. I've added this feature to my 2do list and will check if a 1:2 preview would give a retina or just a 1:2 standard resolution preview.
    Thanks for the suggestion!

But if you want to preview retina resolutions (e.g. iPad Retina) that don't fit at 1:1px onto your screen, you can use the scale or 1:1phy mode.

A while ago at a Unity Ninja Camp someone added Retina support to Unity. Maybe in Unity 5?
    I'm also waiting. ;)

26. phoenixrising

phoenixrising

I just bought the plugin so that I could setup some in game screen shots and take them and export them all at the proper resolutions for submitting to the app store (Loving this feature)

BUT

its broken, what happens is that for some reason the ngui, the skybox and the particle effects are exported into the png but the 3d models are not??? Instead they are transparent.

However, in the xARM Gallery I see the correct information in all the resolutions.

I just bought this so I feel like maybe I am missing a setting or something?

Any ideas?

27. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for purchasing and pointing out the issue!
    I just investigated it and found the bugfix.

On Windows the following line in xARMManager.cs (line 433):
    Code (csharp):
    1. Texture2D screenTex = new Texture2D(width, height, TextureFormat.ARGB32, false);
    must be changed to:
    Code (csharp):
    1. Texture2D screenTex = new Texture2D(width, height, TextureFormat.RGB24, false);
    So it's TextureFormat.ARGB32 to TextureFormat.RGB24.
    Different behavior on Mac and Windows… :(
    I'll submit the fix very soon.

Feel free to suggest new features.
    Also Reviews in the AssetStore are welcome ;)

28. bobbylee

bobbylee

This require NGUI? I keep seeing that mentioned here, but do not see it as a requirement in your store listing.

Thank you.

29. Thavron

Thavron

No, xARM does not require NGUI nor other extensions.
    It supports all, but requires none.;)

Where do you get the impression NGUI is need?
    I''d like to change the wording if it's unclear. :rolleyes:

30. retox

retox

Hi there,

Does this plugin support setup of auto rotation on mobiles?

Thanks

31. Thavron

Thavron

Hi retox!
    You can preview in landscape and portrait mode, but xARM doesn't change (scale, position, etc.) the UI.
    So xARM will help you a lot to see the results and issues, but the scaling, positioning, etc. is the task of the GUI system.

32. Thavron

Thavron

Bugfix is submitted to the AssetStore and awaiting approval.

Changelog 1.04.266
    Bugfix: PNG export on Windows creates no longer partial transparent images

33. Thavron

Thavron

@Elecman: Great! If you miss a feature please let me know.

34. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

@Thavron,

Two possible bug(?) reports on OSX with 4.5

* "Update while Game View has focus" doesn't seems to be working for me.
    * xARM preview goes slightly dark while the Unity is in play mode. I'm not sure if that's a bug because all unity widows/ui also goes dark and that seems to affect preview/gallery images. But game scene view brightness are unaffected. Not a big deal but I thought I should ask.

Thavron likes this.
  35. Thavron

Thavron

@PixelEnvision Thanks for reporting!
    I'll take a look at this issues.

PixelEnvision likes this.
  36. Thavron

Thavron

I tried but can't reproduce this bug in Edit nor Play mode. In Pause mode I managed to find one combination of actions resulting in a not-updating Preview. But if xARM Preview gets focus (by clicking it) everything is working correctly again. It's on my 2do list to fix this minor bug.
    Please give me a step-by-step description of what is causing the bug. Thanks.

Yep, that's caused by Unity dimming everything but the Game View in Play mode. I'll check how to get the original brightness.

Thanks for your feedback!

37. PixelEnvision

PixelEnvision

Thanks, I'll post the details as soon as I can... Re. the dimming, it looks like whole UI is dimming and brightness restoring when stopped. Images appears to be ok when saved so no big deal but it would be nice if there is a workaround to keep brightness the same as game/scene view... :)

38. Thavron

Thavron

Yep, in Play mode the whole GUI is dimmed by Unity3D, so the image is only effected in the editor GUI (that's why export is still correct).
    I didn't find a way to exclude the image from dimming yet, but there'll be a way...

Could you reproduce the update issue?

39. artician

artician

I just purchased this but I'm not sure I should have. Please help me figure out a few things.

First thing is simply: your first post is saying current version is around 1.4x or so, but in the Asset Store it's listed as 1.04x. Is that accidental?

When updating my preview, sometimes my Game window is pushed off screen so I can't drag it out of the way. This is extremely frustrating because it overlaps the other windows and I'm not able to interact with anything. Once it's offscreen, it never comes back. I can reload a Layout in Unity, but as soon as I open xARM preview window it jumps back to its offscreen position. Sometimes I am able to grab one of the borders of the window and scale it so I can see the titlebar, and then click and drag that into view, but otherwise there doesn't seem to be anything I can do about this.

Another problem with my game window, is that when I am able to get the game window back onscreen, if I play the scene in my project the game window will move up the screen vertically. That's just ridiculous. If you'd like me to send a video of it I can.

I also have some feedback for you:
    -It's possible to open multiple xARM Options windows, which isn't a desirable result.
    -The top-bar interface on the Preview and Gallery windows is a bit confusing because everything looks like a button, but you've denoted some text to act more like title bars.
    -Tool tips for everything would be nice.
    -It would be nice to have a "select all" checkmark in the Options menu, so I could select each category of displays all at once (one to select all iOS, one to select all Android, etc).

Regardless, I'd like to get the problems I'm having resolved, because xARM still hasn't allowed me to verify if these resolution settings actually work.

Thank you.

40. Thavron

Thavron

Thanks for purchasing and letting me know about the issues!
    What OS and Unity version are you using?

Good point. v1.04 and v1.4 are the same. I'll change that.

Stuck at the top of the screen behind OSX's menu bar, so that only the Game View's toolbar is unreachable? (That should be fixed...)
    Or is this related to the next issue?
    As a workaround you can close and reopen the Game View with CMD+W (while it's focused; on Windows it's Alt+F4 I guess) and Ctrl/CMD+2.
    I've added this to my 2do list with high priority.
    I'll limit the Game View position to a specify Rect, so that its toolbar is reachable in any case.

Yep, that's odd. I encountered that Unity behavior a while ago and added a workaround. That time it was moving downward. It seams like the original behavior is fixed and now the workaround is causing the issue.
    To remove the workaround:
    1. Open xARMManager.cs
    2. Goto line 554
    3. remove the "-5"
    I need to know when to apply the workaround, so I need your OS and Unity version.
    Does this issue occur in Edit, Pause and Play mode?

1. Yep, on my 2do
    2. I'll try to make it more clear
    3. Unity tooltips were broken a while ago. I'll check if they are fixed now.
    4. "All iOS" makes sense, but "All Android"? What if I add "Top 10 Android"? Or "All x" + "Top 10 x"?
      I find it hard to recommend a specific set of resolutions/ScreenCaps...
    I hope I could help you. You can contact me also by mail.
    Thanks a lot for your feedback and suggestions! Highly appreciated!

41. artician

artician

This is great, thank you for the reply.

To answer your questions:
    I'm running Unity Pro 3.5.7 on Win7-64.

For the title bar being pushed offscreen, for the time being I can only preview resolutions that are very small. This is probably the biggest issue for me since it means I can't use the tool for what it was intended for.

The window scrolling issue only happens when in Play mode. If I have Play unchecked it no longer scrolls.

Lastly, you're right about the checkmarks for selecting all platforms. The reason I wanted it to select all Android and not just a top-x% is because I want to preview many devices at the same time. If you think having so many platforms selected would be a major performance issue I understand.
    If you could enable a shift-click, multi-selection functionality for these checkboxes, that would be even better. Then I could just shift-click-select and deselect smaller groups of devices I want to preview, a few at a time. That would give me what I needed perfectly.

Thank you very much for your reply. Even though I wasn't sure if this was a tool that would work for me, what made me purchase it was seeing that you were responsive to forum posts and updated the tool frequently for features and bugs. That's a big deal to me, so I truly appreciate the help. Assuming this ends up working out on all devices as I expect, this tool is fantastic. :)

Thanks again!

42. Thavron

Thavron

Sorry for the inconvenience. That issue is indeed very annoying.
    I guess it's pushed out of reach by the scrolling issue (see workarounds below).
    Until I've fixed that issue, you can reopen the Game View by hotkeys.
    If it's still reopened out of reach deactivate xARM update while reopening the GV.

I could reproduce the bug with 3.5.7.
    Most of the issue is gone if you deactivate "Update while Game View has focus" under "Options" -> "xARM Preview options". After that change it will scroll much slower.
    Removing the -5 (as I've described above) will unfortunately not fix the issue, because the -5 is needed most of the time also in Play mode... I'll see how to handle that odd Unity behavior...:confused:

I think adding "All Android" and "Top 10 Android" is a good option. The performance wasn't my main concern (it's faster with Unity 4.x), but the clarity/usability with such a long list of ScreenCaps in Gallery, drop downs, etc. was.
    The Shift-Click selection is also a good idea.

Thanks a lot! I always try to do my best. :)
    Nice to read that my plan worked out! ;)

43. Thavron

Thavron

@artician:
    To ensure the GameView's toolbar is always reachable please replace SaveGameViewPosition() in xARMManager.cs with the following code.
    The scrolling issue with 3.5.7 isn't fixed with this, but at least it doesn't scroll out of reach.

Please let me know how it works for you.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     // save GameView position when focused
    2.     public static void SaveGameViewPosition(){
    3.         // workaround for odd Unity behavior (y down scrolling window)
    4.         int yWorkaround = -5;
    5.         // Padding to screen borders
    6.         int screenPadding = 35;
    8.         // check position on screen (*2 to get correct Rect.Contains() behavior)
    9.         Rect screenRect = new Rect(0 + screenPadding, 0 + screenPadding, Screen.currentResolution.width - screenPadding*2, Screen.currentResolution.height - screenPadding*2);
    10.         Vector2 gameViewTopLeft = new Vector2(aktualGameViewRect.xMin, aktualGameViewRect.yMin + yWorkaround);
    11.         Vector2 gameViewTopRight = new Vector2(aktualGameViewRect.xMax, aktualGameViewRect.yMin + yWorkaround);
    12.         // save only useable positions
    13.         if(screenRect.Contains (gameViewTopLeft) || screenRect.Contains (gameViewTopRight)){ // ensure GV's toolbar is always reachable
    14.             // save position
    15.             if(gameViewTopLeft != new Vector2(0f, 12f)){ // workaround: 0,12 is the position while switching edit<->play mode
    16.                 Config.GameViewPosition = gameViewTopLeft;
    17.             }
    18.         }
    19.     }

44. artician

artician

Hi,

The scrolling fix seems to work. I changed -5 to a value of 0.

The offscreen issue still persists, but I have a new step you can try to reproduce it. It seems that the first time xArm updates the Game viewport (either when Update x1 is clicked, or the scene is Played), not only do the shortcuts for opening/closing the Game viewport no longer work, but the viewport also loses its borders and can no longer be resized manually (which was a workaround I used before to reach the title bar).

Thanks for the help. Please let me know if there's anything else I can try.

45. Thavron

Thavron

Hi artican,
    Thanks for your reply.
    Great!

Thanks for describing the steps. I think I could reproduce it (my GV jumps, but not offscreen).
    In 3.5.7 saving Game View's position does somehow behave differently than in 4.x.
    It seams like the position is only saved on Unity close and Play->Edit mode switch.
    So in your case it returns to the offscreen position (caused by the scrolling issue).
    Please follow these steps:
    1. In Edit mode move the (undocked) GV to a proper position
      (use Shortcuts or restore a Layout)
    2. Close Unity
    3. Reopen Unity
    After that the offscreen GV position should be gone and should not return because of the scrolling fix.
    Please let me know how it works.

The shortcuts Alt+F4 and Crtl+2 do not work anymore to close and open GV?
    It's correct that the GV can't be resized after xARM did an update. It's already on my list to (re)enable that.

I'm currently working on a xARM update. I hope to release it soon.
    Thanks!

46. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.287 is submitted to the AssetStore and awaiting approval.
    It fixes all knows bugs, so if you still find one please let me know.

Changelog 1.04.287:
    IMPORTANT: Saved Layouts may still contain an un-resizeable Game View.
    See ReadMe: "FAQ: How to fix Layouts with an un-resizeable Game View?".​
    Change: Game View stays resizable after ScreenCap update
    Bugfix: Ensure Game View is always reachable
    Bugfix(3.x): Always trace Game View position
    Change: Ensure a xARMProxy always exists
    Bugfix: Game View has correct resolution after selection in xARM Preview
    Bugfix(3.x): Game View Y-Scrolling is rarer and limited to 5 pixels
    Bugfix: Only one Options window at the same time
    Bugfix: Ensure correct display of Preview and Gallery after Edit->Pause/Play mode switch
    Bugfix(4.x): Draw ScreenCaps without Playmode tint
    Bufgix: Game View has correct resolution after Gallery's 1xUpdate
    Bugfix: Preview update works after Gallery's 1xUpdate is used
    Bugfix: Save correct (not default) settings to xARMSettings.xml if last change was ScreenCap (de)activation
    Change: Oldest supported version is now 3.5.7​

47. ageana

ageana

Are you sure that you fixed "Ensure Game view is always reachable"? I still can't get the Game View window to position under the system menu bar. It gets under it and if I have 3 displays it always gets on the main one (the laptop) not the external ones. I have tried the solution from the FAQ but with no success.

48. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.287 is available in the AssetStore.
    If you're using multiple monitors see below for the workaround.

Sorry for the inconvenience. The bugfix works, but it causes another bug when using multiple-monitors.:mad:
    (The FAQ solution makes the Game View resizable, it doesn't effect positioning.)

I've planned (with high prio) to add an option to specify a fixed Game View position to get rid of this issue.

Until then as a workaround please open xARMManager.cs and comment out line 566 & 577.
    After that move the Game View to the desired position.
    That change shouldn't cause any problems, but if it does please let me know.
    SaveGameViewPosition() should look like this:

EDIT: Added line 17 to fix another issue.

Code (CSharp):
    1.     // save GameView position when focused
    2.     public static void SaveGameViewPosition(){
    3.         if(GameViewHasFocus){
    4.             // Padding to screen borders
    5.             int screenPadding = 35;
    7.             // check position on screen (*2 to get correct Rect.Contains() behavior)
    8.             Rect screenRect = new Rect(0 + screenPadding, 0 + screenPadding, Screen.currentResolution.width - screenPadding*2, Screen.currentResolution.height - screenPadding*2);
    9.             Vector2 gameViewTopLeft = new Vector2(currentGameViewRect.xMin, currentGameViewRect.yMin);
    10.             Vector2 gameViewTopRight = new Vector2(currentGameViewRect.xMax, currentGameViewRect.yMin);
    11.             // save only useable positions
    12. //            if(screenRect.Contains (gameViewTopLeft) || screenRect.Contains (gameViewTopRight)){ // ensure GV's toolbar is always reachable
    13.                 // workaround some positions
    14.                 if(
    15.                     // workaround: 0,12 is the position while switching edit<->play mode
    16.                     gameViewTopLeft != new Vector2(0f, 12f) &&
    17.                     gameViewTopLeft != new Vector2(0f, 17f) &&
    18.                     // workaround: assume odd y scrolling, if Game View has only moved y+5
    19.                     gameViewTopLeft != new Vector2(Config.GameViewPosition.x, Config.GameViewPosition.y + 5)
    20.                 ){
    21.                     // save position
    22.                     Config.GameViewPosition = gameViewTopLeft;
    23.                 }
    24. //            }
    25.         }
    26.     }

Last edited: Jul 16, 2014
  49. Thavron

Thavron

I've added another fix to the above code (line 17) to prevent the Game View is positioned behind MacOSX's menu bar.
    Sorry for all that re-patching.:(
    New version with proper fixes and the new "Fixed Game View Position" feature will be ready very soon.

50. Thavron

Thavron

xARM v1.04.291 is submitted to the AssetStore and awaiting approval.

Changelog 1.04.291:
    xARM Options:
    + auto/fixed Game View position option

Bugfix: Game View can be positioned on secondary monitors
    Bugfix: Game View doesn't move behind MacOSX menu bar

ageana likes this.