Search Unity

Sci-Fi Effects 2.02 BETA! New Modular Features and FREE Update

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by s7, Dec 6, 2014.

1. s7

s7

Great stuff that's amazing! Planet looks good though. Did you get it from Asset Store?

2. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

The shader is from Space Graphics Toolkit and the textures I made with an old Photoshop plug-in called LunarCell (except for the clouds that are from a satellite image).

3. Gunhi

Gunhi

looks impressive, does this asset work well on mobile?

4. s7

s7

Thanks man! Speaking of mobile your would definitely want to turn off heat and blast waves for some explosions and flamethrower as well as point lights on some prefabs. Other than that it's just a few draw calls per prefab and to 9 at max for the biggest explosion. Textures ranging with highest resolution up to 4096x4096. After all this package was designed for desktop platforms in mind, but nothing stops you from running simple optimizations :)

Last edited: Dec 18, 2014
  5. dstew

dstew

S7,
    The shield webplayer demo is very good. Do you have plans to make a game out of it? (by the way, it did take a fair amount of time to load. Maybe reduce texture size or some other things to speed up the download?)

6. s7

s7

Thanks its great you liked the demo! ;) There are no plans on taking it further though. The web player size is only 75mb so how much time it takes to see the loaded level for you?

7. dstew

dstew

I have a decent download speed (50mbit). maybe it is just a server issue.

8. efreet

efreet

s7,
    Nice pack. Any possibility of adding projectile textures in psd format so we can edit the colour layer? eg laser impulse.

9. s7

s7

Cheers man! Not a chance, since this will be adding extra megabytes to the size of the asset. But there might an option of changing colors directly inside the material with color pickers. Lots of cool stuff coming with the next patch. ;)

10. super-cypher

super-cypher

Hi
    'Really' cool effects pack.

One suggestion though, like another package i have bought, why don't you have 2 sets (within this package), one optimized for mobile the other desktop?

Also as i understand it you use your own custom shaders, which I'm sure will need optimizing for mobile wont they? i think it just makes total sense to have two sets.

also why would anyone care about the asset size? they may care about texture sizes for their final game but im sure no-one will will ever care about the size of the asset store pack size. The more stuff and bigger the better!!!

cheers.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  11. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

would be a good idea two have two sub asset package one for desktop one for mobile

12. s7

s7

Hey thanks for pointing out and by the way this was on my Trello board before ;) Speaking of shaders these are mainly desktop optimized. Feel free to replace them with original mobile additive or alpha blended if you have such need. Unfortunately custom Surface and heat shaders would be an expensive one for mobiles so your're absolutely right and there will be several sub sets of prefabs for desktop/mobiles.

13. uds

uds

Thanks for the great asset!

A way to change the color of some effects (laser impulse, for instance) would be really nice. Any chance to have that color picker solution in one of the future updates?

In fact, I just need another color (e.g. red) for the laser impulses at the moment, so even an update with just a separate set of textures would be a big time saver for me...

14. s7

s7

Thank you! Yep a color picker solution thats what I am thinking of at the moment. We'll see how it fits into existing package and first of all I would love to bring in more customization options along with the new effects. By the way you can send me a more detailed email and I will fix you red color lasers (shouldn't take much of my time). Cheers!

15. Cosmo777

Cosmo777

+1 for any help on making the effects point to point rather than raycast

16. s7

s7

What do you mean exactly?

17. Cosmo777

Cosmo777

This might have been addressed, if so I'm sorry :). I was looking to use your beam effects ie lightning or flame thrower effects and give them a start point and end point in space rather than using a ray-cast with collision for the start and the end.

18. s7

s7

I try to give you a basic idea on how you can modify F3DBeam script. Lets assume that you already know your end point position and the start point is the prefabs transform.position. As soon as the beam prefab has been spawned the Update loop starts calling the Raycast(). The very first line starting with hitPoint = new RaycastHit() is responsible for storing hit position returned by raycasting. In your case, you can avoid using Physics.Raycast and probably introduce your end point Vector3 variable to store required end position. Make sure to calculate the proportion required to scale the beam texture correctly which is later passed by lineRenderer.material.SetTextureScale(...). The impact effect position could be calculated with your own end point value probably avoiding hitPoint.normal offset. We will skip the part where nothing were hit with raycasting since you are responsible for providing beam's end point. You can set beam's end point with lineRenderer.SetPosition(...), just make sure you provide your own value instead of existing one.

19. Cosmo777

Cosmo777

Thanks for your reply, I am have this integrated into my game already and it functions perfectly.

20. imaginationrabbit

imaginationrabbit

Great work with these effects-they look awesome

I would like to request a layer mask menu on the scripts- So I can have the raycast ignore certain layers- I want to have an enemy NPC fire a Plasma Beam but my NPC has a collider set to trigger in front of it and the beam is colliding with it- So it would be awesome to have the option to ignore certain layers- Would be a great add on to the scripts that control the various projectiles and beams- thanks!

p.s. I'm one of your non-coder users so please be kind ;)

On that note I'm having a difficult time getting the beam effect to reset correctly after its spawned-the impact position doesn't return to the origin- so in the future Playmaker or Behavior Designer actions/tasks would be awesome- or an explanation of how to properly use the effects when using Playmaker or Behavior Designer would be great- thanks for your time-

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  21. s7

s7

I can modify the existings scripts adding a layer mask, however you have to provide more details regarding beam effect before I can come up with a solution.

Please send an email to support@forge3d.com including your invoice number and detailed description of your issue related to beam effect.

Thanks

22. Exis

Exis

Here is a fix for the shotgun stuff for unity 5:

Attached Files:

23. s7

s7

Just a quick update showing some of the new effects for the upcoming Sci-Fi Effects patch. For those interested in Unity 5 compatibility, I will be updating all my assets to make sure they are fully compatible, as soon as Unity 5 comes out of beta. Stay tuned for more!

24. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

Ooh, the warp tunnel I can totally use. Nicely done!!

25. mittense

mittense

Yeah, me too. I want warp :(

26. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I really like very much and is one of the best sci fi effects that can be used as powerful and effective weapons with great quality that are very well done. Awesome effects

I have used 10 of the 12 example weapons in my game and they look and work very well

ADD ADDITIONAL WEAPONS TO THIS ASSET

and wanted to add more weapons from other packages bought also on the asset store (I have sent a PM (conversation) with 2 examples links)

I have seen that all the weapons are in the scripts, but I have very, very little coding knowdlege, so I do not know how to add additional weapons to be used together with your own effects.

I have also the Core Game Kit (http://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/6640 ) that maybe could be used with these particle effects weapons and also from other assets available on the store, but I still do not know how to do it

Please, if you be so kind and could help, would be really appreciated

SCALE THE EFFECTS

There are some particle scaler on the asset store, would this help to make the effects included in this pack to make them bigger ?

Thanks very much

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  27. s7

s7

Hey thanks a bunch!

I am working on the next update for this pack, so I will be adding more weapon effects (the next weapon type will be missiles definitely), along with the other kind of effects and usefull stuff.

There is a particle scaler included! For example, if you'd like to scale the explosion prefab (or any other prefab, which has the particle system in it's hierarchy), select the parent game object and add F3DParticle Scale script to it. You don't have to buy additional tools to scale the particles!

28. ZJP

ZJP

God bless you. Thanks. :cool::cool:

s7 likes this.
  29. jpthek9

jpthek9

Hi, I got this asset and have to say it's absolutely amazing! A 1 stop solution to all the effects I need for a sci-fi game! I want to let you know that the web player demo isn't working for possibly others as well.

30. s7

s7

Hey there! Thank you and it's pleasure to know you are enjoying the asset. I tried several web demos after reading your response and it seems to be working fine. Were you able to download the web demo or its something else?

31. s7

s7

Cheers! Will be posting another quick update soon!

32. jpthek9

jpthek9

It loads fine then crashes on a black screen. It might just be me. I'm really excited for the update! Didn't know it can get any better :D.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  33. jpthek9

jpthek9

Just wondering, will you ever complete the whole genre by releasing spaceship models? I'd be the first to buy!

s7 likes this.
  34. s7

s7

Another quick update showing new features of the next Sci-Fi Effects patch. Direct links to MP4 videos this time.

Warp Jump

Warp Jump effect comes in 3 colors with 'in' and 'out' versions. The effect can be scaled with the particle scaling script (the script is inculded with initial version of the Sci-Fi Effects!). The the ship's position can be easily matched with the particle spark moving trough the warp tunnel by simpply referencing the game object inside the hierarchy. The whole effect is activated/reset as soon as it gets spawned by the pool manager, which means enableing/disabling the transform resets the particles systems, while the broadcasting OnSpawned() resets everything else inside the helper scripts.

Debris Field

Rocks and junk debris fields. Comes handy when you have to add details to your asteroid fields, or destroyed ships. Setting the fading paramethers allows you to specify the minimum and maximum visibility range.

Nebula Clouds

Dimensional nebula clouds come in different colors. Fading can be controlled based on the viewing angle. Made with quads and combined with help of utility script at runtime to minimize the draw calls.

Holographic Effect

Highly customisable holographic effect I'm sure most of you find a good use of that. The interlaced mask is animated and made in screen space with several options you can tweak.

Steve-Tack and jpthek9 like this.
  35. Shodan0101

Shodan0101

WOW!!!! s7 this looks incredible!! Im a big fan of your asset ;) Thank you for creating top quality effects! I just purchased the asset! Thank you for adding even more amazing effects! Good luck and God bless!!

s7 likes this.
  36. s7

s7

I haven't looked that far ahead, besides that I have to release several updates to my existing packages. But I like what you have suggested and theres something on my mind that has to do with new spaceship models!

37. s7

s7

Thank you very much I appreciate that! :)

38. SimonDarksideJ

SimonDarksideJ

Fantastic work @s7 earned yourself another sale there and I've not even got a project to put it in yet :D but I do love sci-fi effects. Even better that you are still working on enhancing this project.

I'll also give a +1 to new spaceship assets, especially if they come with source files so we can "tweak" them to make them unique :D

s7 likes this.
  39. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

On the subject of spaceship and space station models, it seems that a lot of the ones on the asset store are either mobile-friendly and not appropriate for a desktop/console game, too cartoony looking, too "90's RTS" looking, just plain bad, or the fighters look too much like fighter planes (my only issue with spaceships that look like jet fighters is that it's a bit boring). There are some notable exceptions, but more models that match the style and quality of your effects and planet assets would be very appealing indeed.

In any case, the warp tunnel and warp jump effects will be very useful! Great stuff.

40. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

WOW, WOW!!!! The updates shown above with the spoilers for the next update looks really awesome, stunning and incredible. I will be waiting to see them and hope they are ready soon. Love really much the new Holographic effect that looks so well done and cool.:)

Thanks for your answer about the particle scaler, sorry to say that I can´t make it to work, I have done the following to try it

1 - I do not have any of the prefabs in the Hierarchy, I have the _Main game object of your demo example, so I attached the F3DParticle Scale script to it and nothing happens, so I removed the script

2 - I have to gone to the prefab of the projectile example and added the F3DParticle Scale script to it, but does not work, so I removed the script

3 - I have gone inside the prefab and selected the particle system object and added F3DParticle Scale script to it, as is supossed to be the best place to add the F3DParticle Scale script, but again nothing happens, the particles have still the same size.

Please, can you help to tell me where exactly should I use the F3DParticle Scale script?

Thanks very much

41. s7

s7

Thank you! :)

You have to place the script on the particle system in your scene. If theres multiple game objects included, for example, child particle systems, put the script on the topmost object which will be the parent to the whole hierarchy. Select the parent and in the inspector drag the slider to modify the scale. When you finished tweaking the scale, you can remove the particle scaling script from the object.

42. s7

s7

Thanks a bunch! The update is almost ready to be submitted, just a matter of finetuning and project cleanup. And since the asset store publishers received their Unity 5.0 beta keys recently, I will also make sure to fix all the compatibility issues with 5.0 before publishing.

43. zugsoft

zugsoft

I just bought it, and it's a great product,
    I replace your shaders with Mobile->Particles->Additive, and I made a APK for Android's users :
    http://62.210.137.161/Unity/Sci-FiEffects.apk

No need to modify shaders on WindowsPhone, but on my Android Phone some shader was white.

44. Steve-Tack

Steve-Tack

quantumsheep likes this.
  45. s7

s7

Thanks! Works like a charm on my Meizu MX4! It's the distortion shader you had to replace probably. But anyway, good job!

46. s7

s7

Oh yeah, I been thinking of adding this. It's nice that you have provided a reference. Thanks!

47. s7

s7

Last chance to get Sci-Fi Effects for only $25
    before the update arrives!

Whats new in version 1.1:
    The asset is now Unity 4.6 and 5.0 compatible.
    - Added: Warp tunnel effect, Warp jump effect, Burnout effect shader, Holographic effect shader, Fading debris field shader, Nebula clouds prefabs and shader
    - Added: 16 bonus sound effects to be used with warp jump and warp tunnel.
    - The asset now includes additional gamma space materials and prefabs for cases with significant visual differences.
    - Some shaders and several scripts were impoved to provide Unity 5.0 support while ensuring backward compatibility.

48. ZJP

ZJP

Very good update, but, do not forget 'Engine and Missile Thruster' please. :D

49. s7

s7

Thank you! I can guarantee the next update will be dedicated to missiles and thrusters!

50. ZJP

ZJP

Oh yeah!!. This made my day. :cool:

s7 likes this.