Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Grab Yer Assets (GYA) v3 - UnityPackage Import & Management

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Xeir, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Xeir

Xeir

Note: When using the optional 'Settings->Open URLs in Unity', it appears that Unity versions 5.1+ have an issue opening the Asset URL within Unity IF the Asset Store window/tab is NOT already open. It will instead go to the Asset Store Home page. A second attempt will then go to the correct asset page. If the Asset Store window/tab is already open, it will work as expected.

This is being looked into.

2. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Hi Xeir,

First of all congratulation for your work, I'm loving GYA.

Please consider implementing exporting asset's urls as columns in the csv file.
    I think it's interesting to manage assets using google sheets. For instance you can create a sheet where a column is a formula like:

= image(a1) : where a1 contains the asset icon's url

and

= hyperlink(b1, c1) : where b1 contains the asset's name and c1 the asset's url

Regards,
    Rod

3. Xeir

Xeir

Hey there Rod!

Very happy to hear that you are finding GYA to be useful !

I've just added the hyperlink into the export routine as the second field and have already tested it under Google Sheets, it appears to work fine. I'll add the image url portion to the list.

If you would like to test it out, let me know.

Regards!

4. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Sure, I'll PM you.

5. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 2.15j16a

2.15j16a
    - Added: CSV export now also exports package URLs. Tested with Google Sheets and Libre Office. NOTE: Links may not work for some spreadsheet apps, Numbers/Excel, as they may encode the '#' sign that is used by Unity for the package URL as %23 when clicked.
    - Added: 'Export Group Data as CSV' under the Multi-Asset Menu
    - Changed: CSV export fields id, version_id, category_id & publisher_id return an EMPTY field instead of '0' for Exported/'Non-Asset Store' packages
    - Fixed: Unity 5.3 - warning CS0618: `UnityEngine.TextEditor.content' is obsolete: `Please use 'text' instead of 'content''

2.15j02a
    - Fixed: User defined Groups now sync during refresh between multiple active instances of Unity

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  6. ilmario

ilmario

Hey, can this asset be used to display info (only) about assets in current product folder?

Lets say that I hyphothetically had a very bloated project folder with asset imports from several developers, and its not clear what has been imported so far, and I want to get rid of assets we wont really need.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  7. Xeir

Xeir

@ilmario -

Determining already imported assets is not something that GYA handles at this point.

While I have considered this in the past, Movinarc has already provided an asset on the Asset Store that may help to some degree. Take a look at Package Uninstaller: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/35439

I am still considering a few ideas that may work their way into GYA at some point, but nothing that I can commit to at this time.

Hope that helps at least a little in the meantime.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!

8. Saxi

Saxi

5.3 was suppose to have Asset Uninstaller but Unity didn't get it figured out before release. It is scheduled for 5.4 now I believe but most likely will never get released due to problems with GUID and they likely won't resolve it properly.

9. ilmario

ilmario

Thanks for the replies. Happy holidays :)

10. Xeir

Xeir

11. eagleeyez

eagleeyez

You are so cool!

Why?, because you are constantly updating, keeping us informed and generally just making a great product that works. Thanks again for this, It is indispensable when using Unity.

Xeir likes this.
  12. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Same problem here. It does import the folder structure but not the files. If one imports just one project everything is fine.

Using unity 5.3.2f1

13. Saxi

Saxi

Unity tried to implement Asset Uninstall which they failed, so 5.3 has issues with asset imports.

14. Xeir

Xeir

Indeed, I can confirm that all versions from 5.3.x to 5.4.0b6 suffer from this.

15. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Any news?

16. Saxi

Saxi

I don't think it was fixed yet and 5.4 beta reintroduces the other import bug.

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  17. Xeir

Xeir

Saxi is correct, I have not seen a fix implemented as yet on the Unity side, nor have I seen an update to the info I have provided them as yet.

I've been working on an alternative, but the results are not consistent at this point. I'm not giving up hope just yet however.

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  18. Xeir

Xeir

Quick heads up, may have a solution for the broken multi-import in 5.3+ that I am satisfied with!

More info will follow later as I have some more testing/verification to do.

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  19. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Did it work as you expected?

20. Xeir

Xeir

Ran into a few issues, so I back ported the code to 5.24 to verify that the concept works, and everything does work as expected in 5.24.

5.24 had public/private methods so I could reference UnityEditor.AssetsItem[] directly, however they've been removed in 5.3 and are now internal/sealed as UnityEditor.ImportPackageItem[]. So I had to change the reflection code I used and have been dealing with that.

Where it stands now, is that I can:
    - Yes, manually perform the asset extraction
    - Yes, get the returned collection as an object (5.24 returns just a collection: UnityEditor.AssetsItem[])
    - Yes, convert that object to a local collection which holds the info for all the assets being imported
    - No, pass the local collection to the import method.

BUT .. I get the following error: (TargetParameterCountException: parameters do not match signature) and that's where I'm running into a problem.

I've probably just been staring at it so long that I'm missing the obvious.

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  21. Xeir

Xeir

This is one of the things I'm looking into in attempts to address the broken multi-import in Unity 5.3+. As you can see, the 5.24 version was easy enough,

This is a simplified version and is essentially the same as calling UnityEditor.ImportPackage(path) to import a single package.

Issues with Unity 5.30+ version:
    1- Can't use 'UnityEditor.ImportPackageItem[] miResult = new UnityEditor.ImportPackageItem[] {};' for creating the collection to manipulate so created a local version.
    2- Had to change the MethodInfo call to use Activator.CreateInstance, due to issue #1
    3- miResult receives an object now, instead of a collection as in 5.24, due to issue #1 & #2

Unity 5.30 and newer version:
    Currently fails sending data to the final method as it can't convert local XeirGYA.ImportPackageItem[] to UnityEditor.ImportPackageItem[].
    If miResult is passed straight thru unmodified, it works. But that serves no purpose for multi file import.

Still working on it however.

Code (CSharp):
    2. // 5.30 and newer
    3. // internal sealed class ImportPackageItem
    4. // internal sealed class PackageUtility
    5. // public static extern ImportPackageItem[] ExtractAndPrepareAssetList (string packagePath, out string packageIconPath, out bool canPerformReInstall);
    6. // public static extern void ImportPackageAssets (ImportPackageItem[] items, bool performReInstall);
    8. // Using local collection since ImportPackageItem is internal sealed
    9. public class ImportPackageItem
    10. {
    11.    public string exportedAssetPath;
    12.    public bool pathConflict;
    13.    public bool assetChanged;
    14.    public bool exists;
    15.    public bool isFolder;
    16.    public int enabledStatus;
    17.    public string guid;
    18.    public string previewPath;
    19.    public string sourceFolder;
    20.    public string destinationAssetPath;
    21.    public bool projectAsset;
    22. }
    24. // Single import for 5.3+
    25. public static void ImportPackageViaReflection530 (string pFilePath)
    26. {
    27.    // Extract
    28.    string[] paramsExtract = new [] { pFilePath, null, null };
    29.    Assembly Core = typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly;
    30.    Type miTypeToReflect = Core.GetType("UnityEditor.PackageUtility");
    31.    object miObj = Activator.CreateInstance(miTypeToReflect);
    32.    MethodInfo miExtract = miTypeToReflect.GetMethod("ExtractAndPrepareAssetList");
    34.    var miResult = miExtract.Invoke( miObj, paramsExtract ); // returns object
    36.    // Use Json to Serialize/De to the local ImportPackageItem[] for manipulation
    37.    ImportPackageItem[] miResultData;
    38.    string miResultText = JsonConvert.SerializeObject(miResult);
    39.    miResultData = JsonConvert.DeserializeObject<ImportPackageItem[]>(miResultText);
    41.    // Manipulate data here ...
    43.    // Import
    44.    object[] paramsImport = new [] { miResultData as object, false };
    45.    MethodInfo miImport = miTypeToReflect.GetMethod("ImportPackageAssets");
    46.    miImport.Invoke( null, paramsImport );
    48.    // Error: ArgumentException: failed to convert parameters
    49.    // Convert.ChangeType has been tried
    51. }

Unity 5.24 and older version:
    Simple, easy and just works. Provided just for reference.

Code (CSharp):
    1. // 5.24 and older
    2. // public sealed class AssetsItem
    3. // internal sealed class AssetServer
    4. // private static AssetsItem[] ImportPackageStep1 (string packagePath)
    5. // public static extern AssetsItem[] ImportPackageStep1 (string packagePath, out string packageIconPath);
    6. // public static extern void ImportPackageStep2 (AssetsItem[] assets);
    8. // Single import for 5.24 and older
    9. public static void ImportPackageViaReflection524 (string pFilePath)
    10. {
    11.    BindingFlags _flags = BindingFlags.Instance | BindingFlags.NonPublic | BindingFlags.Public | BindingFlags.Static;
    12.    UnityEditor.AssetsItem[] miResult = new UnityEditor.AssetsItem[] {};
    14.    // Extract
    15.    string[] paramsExtract = new [] { pFilePath, null };
    16.    MethodInfo miExtract =
    17.      typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly
    18.      .GetType("UnityEditor.AssetServer").GetMethod("ImportPackageStep1",
    19.      _flags, Type.DefaultBinder,
    20.      new[] { typeof(string), typeof(string).MakeByRefType() },
    21.      null);
    23.    miResult = (UnityEditor.AssetsItem[])miExtract.Invoke( null, paramsExtract ); // returns collection
    25.    // Manipulate data here ...
    27.    // Import
    28.    object[] paramsImport = new [] { miResult };
    30.    MethodInfo miImport =
    31.      typeof(EditorWindow).Assembly
    32.      .GetType("UnityEditor.AssetServer").GetMethod("ImportPackageStep2",
    33.      _flags, Type.DefaultBinder,
    34.      new[] { typeof(UnityEditor.AssetsItem[]) },
    35.      null);
    37.    miImport.Invoke( null, paramsImport );
    38. }

Last edited: Mar 18, 2016
  22. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Noob question:

Is it possible to iterate through the list of desired packages and import each one calling 'UnityEditor.ImportPackage(path)'?

I wouldn't mind being prompted to press an 'OK' button at the end of each import. That's better than manually importing 88 packages by searching and clicking them. :)

23. Xeir

Xeir

That is how it's done currently by calling UnityEditor.ImportPackage(path) and that is what is no longer functioning correctly due to changes in Unity's import methods.

Perhaps hooking into the AssetPostprocessor to determine when ImportPackage finishes, then start the next import once it has. I know that I looked into doing it this way once before for Unity 3.x and ran across some problem that I cannot recall offhand, but I will revisit it as an option.

I haven't seen any updates relating to the bug-report so far but do also have the issue mentioned in the beta forums.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2016
  24. Xeir

Xeir

Ok, looks like I have found a fix for the broken multi-import in Unity 5.3+ !

Been testing it all day with good results. Doing some code cleanup now and will do some additional testing before submitting it.

Rod-Galvao likes this.
  25. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 2.16c25a

2.16c25a
    - Fixed: Multi-import for Unity 5.3+

Let me know if you run across any problems.

zeb33 likes this.
  26. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

Using 5.4 beta 10. Still same error. :(

27. Xeir

Xeir

Thanks for letting me know. The new method should work for any version as it performs each import separately instead of relying upon Unity's ImportPackage auto-queuing.

2.16c25a was tested on versions from 5.30 to 5.40b9 with no issues, will have to look into the latest beta to see what is up.

28. Xeir

Xeir

Just tested it under 5.4.0b10, no issues noticed on this end.

If possible, let me know what packages you were trying to import, if there's a minimum common set of packages that causes the issue and/or anything else worth noting. That way I can test the same.

29. Rod-Galvao

Rod-Galvao

I tested with an empty project and indeed it worked.
    The other project has dozens of assets already. Maybe was that. I don't remember which specific assets I tested, but If I can reproduce it I will post here.

30. Xeir

Xeir

Well, that's a plus at least. Still worries me that something is breaking the multi-import however. If we can narrow it down as to the cause, I'll adjust for it.

Hmm, something that might be worth a try would be to change when Lock/UnlockReloadAssemblies is being called, currently it is outside the loop. I didn't see any difference in my testing so I left it outside.

If you want to try, it's easy enough:
    - go to the GYAImport class at the end of the file
    - comment the Lock/Unlock statements outside the loop
    - un-comment the Lock/Unlock inside the loop

I don't know if another asset can override the lock or not, but this will attempt to enforce the lock by refreshing it for every import.

Also, if you have a project that you get the error to occur in that can be shared without issue, feel free to send it my way and I can test it out. If not possible, and given the nature that many assets can't be shared, then a complete list of assets in the project that has issue and if I have most or all of the assets, I can attempt to at least reproduce a similar project scenario.

Thanks Rod!

Last edited: Mar 30, 2016
  31. Xeir

Xeir

Just did a quick check of Unity 5.4.0b13 and it looks like they have reverted/fixed the original working of the ImportPackage method so that multi-import works once more with the old code.

With that in mind, how has the modified multi-import been working for everyone in Unity 5.3+ after upgrading to at least GYA v2.16c25a?

Any thoughts about if I offered a toggle to allow switching between the two methods of handling the multi-imports?

That way, there would be a user enabled alternative in case one ever fails to work in a given version of Unity, etc. Given that things tend to change quite often, I'm thinking it might not be a bad idea.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  32. zeb33

zeb33

Toggle option sounds useful. Would/could it auto-toggle?

33. Xeir

Xeir

There isn't anything that I'm aware of at the moment to trigger off of accepting the Unity version itself. Which means I can set automatic rules as described below, aside from using whatever setting the user may choose as an override.

On top of that, Unity has added another import option that is synchronous, which in essence is the same thing I did to get 5.3-5.4 to work properly.

So we have 3 possible options for multi-import now.
    • Unity's default async import (Does not work in Unity 5.3x - 5.4.0b12)
      • Extracts all pkg's prior to performing the imports (uses more temp space while importing)
    • GYA's sync import (Should work for any version of Unity)
      • Extract, import then cleanup before starting the next import
    • Unity's sync import (Unity 5.40b13 + only)
      • Extract, import then cleanup before starting the next import

Here is what I'm thinking of doing:
    5.0x - 5.2x: Default = Unity's Async Import .. Option = GYA's Sync Import
    5.3x - 5.4.0b12: Default = GYA's Sync Import .. (The only working option available)
    5.4.0b13 +: Default = Unity's Sync Import .. Options = GYA's Sync Import or Unity's Async Import

In testing, the new Unity Sync Import works as expected and it's always nice to use the native features if/when possible.

Granted, I could default to GYA's Sync Import for all, but I'm not confortable doing so until there is more feedback from those using it. In Rod's case, it worked fine for a fresh project, however, there was something in a larger project that prevented it from working properly. It could simply be something in the beta, as they're always in flux. More info/feedback is needed however to determine the cause.

So, this will use the best option for the different versions of Unity, yet allow the user to choose another if there is ever a need.

Any thoughts or suggestions are always welcome.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2016
  34. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

i like GYA even if it's still a killer feature: to track updates of installed packages.
    i know it's impossibile to know what packages are installed.. but if i install them by GYA, or if i mark a version of a package as installed with a wimple checkbox, then GYA can tell me (when i'll update packages by asset store -> reload in GYA) if there is an update for my project

right now i do it manually, with a text file for each project, with manual entered version of the installed packages.

i hope you have something like this in your roadmap because it would be a real time saver!

ciao

35. Xeir

Xeir

@krur

Think you'll like this, the bulk of the groundwork has already been layed out for tracking when updates are available. It's currently planned to be included in the next major update to GYA. No ETA yet, but it is getting closer. I will give some thought to the per project tracking.

Glad to hear that you are liking GYA!

36. zeb33

zeb33

I must be missing something really obvious here, so you can't use , for example..
    #if UNITY_5_4
    // toggle sync import on
    #endif

37. Xeir

Xeir

I took your 'could it auto toggle' to mean that, if it could auto-choose the best option for future Unity versions as in, if for example: Unity's Async multi-import fails due to an internal change, as it did in 5.3, that it could detect it mid-import and correct itself. As the errors aren't reported till the very end, that of course, isn't possible. At least that I'm aware of.

However, as mentioned above, there is version specific auto fallback/forward. So even if the new 'Unity Sync Import' is the User Default:
    5.3.x - 5.4.0b12 will internally fallback to 'GYA Sync Import', as it's the only working option.
    5.2.x and older will internally fallback to 'Unity Async Import', which is the method that has always worked for those versions.

The update should be available later today.

zeb33 likes this.
  38. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 2.16d09a

2.16d09a
    - Added: Preference 'Settings->Multi-Import Override' for user control of the Multi-import method used. ‘Default’ will auto-choose the best option. GYA may override the selected option if it is not available for the currently running version of Unity.

As mentioned in an earlier post, it will follow these guidelines:

5.0x - 5.2x: Default = Unity's Async Import .. Option = GYA's Sync Import
    5.3x - 5.4.0b12: Default = GYA's Sync Import .. (The only working option available)
    5.4.0b13 +: Default = Unity's Sync Import .. Options = GYA's Sync Import or Unity's Async Import

39. Xeir

Xeir

New version has been submitted: 2.16d13a

2.16d13a
    - Change: The way ImportPackageImmediately is called due to a change in 5.4.0b14.

It is recommended to upgrade GYA prior to upgrading to b14.

40. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Is there anyway to share configurations across computers? For example, if I make a group on my Mac, can I use that group on my Windows PC without having to recreate it from scratch?

41. Xeir

Xeir

Certainly, copy the 'GYA Settings.json' file from the source machine over to the new machine as such:

Note:
    - Always wise to make a backup of the files BEFORE doing this just in case.
    - If you have assigned User Asset folders in GYA on the target machine, it will be changed to that of the source machine. You may have to change it, if it points to a different folder/network share.
    - Exported (Non Asset Store) packages rely upon a fixed file path and you may have to refresh them by removing/re-adding. Asset Store packages do not have this limitation as the AssetID & VersionID contained within is referred to when processing the file.

1- On both machines, from GYA's menu (the gear), select 'Old Assets' to open a folder window and go up one folder, this should put you in '../Unity/Grab Yer Assets'.
    2- Make sure that GYA is NOT running on the target machine by closing the GYA window.
    3- Copy '../Unity/Grab Yer Assets/GYA Settings.json' from the source to target machine.
    4- Bring up GYA on the target machine and it should have the same settings and groups as the source machine.

In a future version, I'll add an option to go directly to the GYA folder and/or to copy GYA's files to make things easier for those that want to do this.
    The Settings and Groups will be seperated into their own files in the next major version of GYA that I'm working on, but it's not ready for release yet.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  42. Tinjaw

Tinjaw

Thanks for the quick reply. I will try that. I also volunteer to be a beta tester if you need another one.

43. Xeir

Xeir

Always appreciated and I will certainly keep you in mind when it's ready for testing.

44. Xeir

Xeir

Just a heads up. While I'm not sure how many were making use of the third party link to the 'Fast Asset Store', but .. sadly, looks like the link is down. Actually has been for the past few days. If it's not back up sometime soon, I'll remove reference to it in the next patch.

45. Xeir

Xeir

GYA v3 Beta is officially available for expanded testing before release ..

Anyone interested in testing v3, send a msg with your invoice # and I will forward a download link.

-- Here are just a few of the changes in v3:

- OnGUI/Scrollview code re-written, can handle large list without slowing down.
    - Asset indexing which greatly improves subsequent 'Refresh' times.
    - The GYA Refresh console message now provides 'Scan Results Per Collection' which can be seen if you scroll the console text view down.

- Added a 'Preferences' window which provides easy access to:
    Quick Reference, Preferences, User Folders, Groups, Maintenance, etc.
    - Improved 'User Folder' & 'Group' management

- Added Purchased Assets handling
    - Right-Click on 'Refresh' button will force a re-check of your 'Purchased Assets List'
    - Clicking on the 'Main Menu->GYA v3.16.xx.xxxx' will open a window that will show the additional info available from your Purchased Assets list as you scroll over the list.

- Optional 3rd Toolbar for quicker access to the main collections, while the first field shows how many assets are currently displayed in the list.
    - Changed the default sort by 'Title' to 'Title (Nested Versions)', this properly catches assets that have been renamed
    - Older versions of an asset are shown with a 'Curved Right Arrow' icon
    - Categories Menu, new option: 'Deprecated' (Show assets no longer supported)
    - Categories Menu, new option: 'Multiple Versions' (Shows assets that have more then one version)
    - Categories Menu, new option: 'Not Downloaded' (Show assets not yet downloaded)

- The v2 settings file, 'GYA Settings.json', which contained both the Settings & Groups has been split up into seperate files, 'GYA Prefs.json' & 'GYA Groups.json'.
    - The v2 asset info file, 'GYA Assets.json' has been renamed for v3 to 'GYA Assets v3.json' due to a change in handling and to prevent any conflicts with v2.

IMPORTANT: GYA v3 uses a different file setup from v2. v3 will automatically import and backup your v2 Settings and Groups the first time it is run.

TeagansDad likes this.
  46. Xeir

Xeir

I'm in the process of submitting GYA v3.

Just working on getting the images/screenshots up-to-date then I will update the forum as well.

Update: v3 was submitted on Monday, so hopefully it won't take too long to get approval.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2016
    TeagansDad likes this.
  47. Xeir

Xeir

GYA v3 has gone live!​

TeagansDad likes this.
  48. Setmaster

Setmaster

How do I import selected assets? The option isn't showing for me.

49. Xeir

Xeir

Import a single unitypackage:
    - right-click on it and select either 'Import' or 'Import Interactively'

Import multiple unitypackages:
    - select the assets/packages you would like to import
    - click on the 'Selected Assets' drop-down, the control directly below the 'Gear/Main Menu'
    - the option to import is located there as well as other options for handling multiple selections

For reference, you can see this shown on the main page, 3rd image down on the left. Link

If you have any further questions, etc., let me know.

50. Xeir

Xeir

@Setmaster Just wanted to check in and see how everything was going.