Search Unity

Runtime Level Editor

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by JohnParask, Aug 31, 2014.

1. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Looking over your video's one thing you should add also is asset sorting with category tabs.
    And the UI something most miss is being able to show/hide the editor windows. Once selected many level builders may want a larger level window to place the same asset more precisely.

hopeful likes this.
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I have some questions.
    Do this have or get some kind of grid features?
    Do it work on mobiles?
    Do you ad some kind batching to reduce the drawcalls?
    Can we still preorder?

Edit:
    Just preordered
    Can this also handle lod?

JohnParask likes this.
  3. JohnParask

JohnParask

Hey, there is no grid system yet but it is planned. It does not work on mobiles because of the save system but i can make a version for mobile after the main release.Yes it does handle LOD system or anything you like since the assets are simple prefabs.

Thanks for pre-ordering.

davem250 likes this.
  4. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Will then the mobile version part of this asset or will it be an extra to buy just for mobile asset?

JohnParask likes this.
  5. JohnParask

JohnParask

It would be as a free update for it.(part of the same asset). Actually the only problem is the Save System which uses System.IO and i don't think it would be compatible with Mobiles. So i will have to save using PlayerPrefs.
    Since you are developing on Mobiles (As i can understand since you are asking about it) does PlayerPrefs has a max size for a string ? I mean that Windows Registry has a limit so does mobiles has a limit too ?

6. JohnParask

JohnParask

System now supports Player & Script prefabs. Bot has a visual (see-through) model which will be visible only inside the editor.

davem250 and dreamlarp like this.
  7. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I noticed that your inventory and crafting app is in Java. Is this going to be in c# or Java? Most teams use c#.

hopeful likes this.
  8. JohnParask

JohnParask

Nope, it is written completely on C#. https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/19900

You probably saw the .js scripts from the standard assets (FPS Controller & 3rd person controller)

davem250 likes this.
  9. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Yes I see now. We may not wait for the pre-order bonus to pic that up.

Jaqal and JohnParask like this.
  10. JohnParask

JohnParask

Sure, why not :p .Since the pre-order bonus will have one more package for sure (And might one more).

davem250 likes this.
  11. Teila

Teila

Hello, This looks great but I have a few questions.

Can it be used in a multi-player game?

I saw that you could limit the players to only destroying/editing things placed with this asset. Is it possible to limit their building to a specific area? Say a player has a plot of land and they can only build there, would that work? Or maybe you want to use it to allow players to add furniture and decorations to the inside of their house.

12. JohnParask

JohnParask

That's not implemented yet, but after the main release i might do it. However it would work for multiplayer if you just want to share levels betweenplayers.

P.S : The Beta release date will get delayed because i have a very serious bug. Everything works perfect inside the Unity Editor but when i build it items goes black when i change materials. I Think that it is a Unity's bug so i don't know what to do.

davem250 likes this.
  13. JohnParask

JohnParask

Runtime Level Editor is still alive.

Sorry for not posting for a while since i'm trying to fix that bug. I have to admit that it is almost fixed, actually the bug is gone, but due to some actions which required i have to re do some things. So the BETA is coming buys.

davem250 likes this.
  14. JohnParask

JohnParask

davem250 likes this.
  15. davem250

davem250

Hi GreekStudios0,
    Okay so i have tried both the 32bit and 64bit versions of RLE beta 1!
    First off: the 32bit version doesn't seem to save the level only the screenshot!
    Second: the 64bit seems to save the level, but not the screenshot :p
    Other than that... Great job on it so far ;) Cheers.

JohnParask likes this.
  16. JohnParask

JohnParask

Hey, both versions works for me, might a software is blocking my RLE from saving files ?

davem250 likes this.
  17. davem250

davem250

dunno, i am using Windows 8 (not 8.1!) and i just tried to create a simple level (the one in the 32bit version contained 1 plane 1 table 3 chairs and 1 point light!) (the 64bit version contained 1 plane 1 cube and 1 cylinder) but i will definitely try further to see if it is my computer that is messing it up ;) Cheers.

18. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for your feedback :) , here is a quick video of how it should work.

Take a look and report to me any bugs ;)

davem250 likes this.
  19. davem250

davem250

Well i have just tried the 64bit version Again and it still saves only the level file and not the screenshot... also i have discovered another issue i have run into: now when i have 3 saved levels all with different names, but it only shows the first level i tried to save (in the load dialog window...) i will also send you a screenshot of what it looks like :)

20. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yes, send me a screenshot.

21. davem250

davem250

Thanks for your help GreekStudios0, you have been a huge help in solving the problems i thought was bugs ;) it's nice to know that they weren't :D Cheers and definitely keep up the awesome Work on this great asset ;)

JohnParask likes this.
  22. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thank you mate :) for your feedback and for helping me out ;) Without the feedback of you guys i will not be able to continue my work.

So , guys download it (it's free & it takes about 2 minutes) and test it out. Make sure to post any bug :)

davem250 likes this.
  23. hopeful

hopeful

This beta build is nice, but of course it needs to be higher level for players to use, and I'm sure you're headed that direction.

Here's what I think I'll need for my players.

Probably just one column of toolbox / inspector that allows for:
    • Default overhead lighting on / off
    • Item snapping on / off
    • Show grid on / off
    • Hide unavailable items on / off
    • Select item to place (with available / not available indicators on each item)
    • Change item color(s), if item permits
    • Change item texture(s), if item permits
    As for items I'd have available, it would start with floor / wall / ceiling pieces, then furnishings like furniture, lighting, and special items with in-game purposes, like a wardrobe, an armory, other inventory bins, a recipe making station, teleporters, and maybe power-up stations.

When designing such an interior space, I guess there will have to be some way to allow the player to change the vertical dimensions. Probably the best thing to do is to have a default positioning and then click a button to raise or lower the item, maybe with a game dev imposed min/max setting. Also there should be a setting as to whether or not an item can be placed on a wall or in the air. (EDIT: Maybe have checkboxes on the item for placement on: floor, wall, ceiling, air.)

In terms of fool proofing, players will need to be prevented from creating an incomplete area, especially one where they can fall through a gap in the floor.

I suppose how this works from the game dev end is we define a cube collider or something as a construction area, either leave it open to the skybox or block it off with opaque geometry, then create a resource folder for the items that can be placed in that area. Each item in the folder has a script on it which controls their function within the RLE (like item is available / not available, help text / description, set color, select texture from folder, etc).

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    davem250, JohnParask and dreamlarp like this.
  24. JohnParask

JohnParask

Hey and thanks for your feedback.

Of course this is an early beta build and more things will be added. Some of the features you described above are already implemented.

• Default overhead lighting on / off (Can you please explain what you mean, there are lighting settings on Windows>World Settings)
    • Item snapping is already implemented but not the way you probably thing. For now i place some place holder keys so in order to snap an object to an other (which has the same snap ID) you have to press and hold Ctrl and then press numkey : [ 1 : to snap on - X , 2 to snap on + X , 3 to snap on - Z , 4 to snap on + Z , 5 to snap + Y , 6 to snap - Y) This will snap to the closest item with the same snap id.
    • Grid will probably be available soon.
    • You can hide any object you like by toggling the "Visible" check box of each item on inspector.
    • Options for locking an item on wall or just let free into the air is a very nice idea and i will try to add it.
    • Yes, you can add a box collider and prevent it.

25. hopeful

hopeful

I'm thinking of default lighting from the player's perspective. When they first start building they have no light sources of their own in place yet, so they would have the default lighting turned on. However, once they have placed some lamps, torches, ceiling lights, or whatever, then they may wish to turn off the default lighting so they can see the construction area lit with their own lighting.

Also, I'd prefer to not let the player mess with the more technical settings like transforms, even if the transforms are keeping items trapped within the construction zone. It would be better if the player would select an item and it would immediately orient itself toward the nearest valid placement surface, like floor, ceiling, or wall. Items that are placed in the air would preferably use the default orientation, though of course in some more sophisticated games players could have access to more technical placement tools, including rotations and scale.

By the way, some items that could be inserted into a construction zone could be dynamic instead of static, like a beach ball. Or a floor-cleaning robot. ;)

Last edited: Sep 19, 2014
    davem250 and JohnParask like this.
  26. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for your feedback, i'm doing my best for adding as many features as i can.

27. JohnParask

JohnParask

Runtime Level Editor will be submitted on the Asset Store within this month.

Thank you for your feedback.

www.rld.url.ph

28. JohnParask

JohnParask

So, Runtime Level Editor is ready, i'm just finishing the documentation. My system is using the new Unity UI and i have RLE working for Unity 5 beta. So should i wait until Unity 5 released and then release it or should i release it for the beta version of Unity 5 ?

29. davem250

davem250

Maybe it would be best to wait for the full version of Unity 5 to put RLE up on the Asset store??? i mean there would be more sale because the majority of unity users aren't allowed for betas (if you don't take 4.6 beta into view :p) i cannot for one, download the Unity 5 beta and i am a pro subscriber... but if you're very impatient it would probably just be for your best to just release it... But i am looking very much forward to be buying and trying it ;) Cheers.

JohnParask likes this.
  30. JohnParask

JohnParask

Thanks for replying,

I was thinking of releasing it for Unity 4.6 but i have to re-do a lot of work which will take much time. I will finish the documentation and i will release the 1.0 version for Unity 5 beta only so i can take feedback and fix bugs before Unity 5. So, i will keep the official release date, 1/10/2014 [This is the date that i will submit it]

P.S : I'm making a new interactive documentation. Instead of making a pdf documentation i decided to make an off-line site which will be included with the RLE.

davem250 likes this.
  31. JohnParask

JohnParask

Runtime Level Editor has been submitted to the Asset Store and it will be available only for Unity 5 Beta.

davem250 and Jaqal like this.
  32. JohnParask

JohnParask

33. JohnParask

JohnParask

34. JohnParask

JohnParask

Runtime Level Editor is not accepted yet, i don't really know why... it is submitted since October 2...

Edit :

Runtime Level Editor will not be released for the beta version since Asset Store does not allow content for Beta Builds, so RLE is pushed back until the Unity 5 Release.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2014
    davem250 likes this.
  35. JohnParask

JohnParask

Still waiting for Unity 5 to be released, until then Runtime Level Editor is getting more and more features. Moreover the official forum has been opened here http://forum.rld.url.ph/ you may register from now however it will not be that active until the release.

36. MegaFlash

MegaFlash

HI,

Tried pre-registering but your website gives me an error 500 (after I tried to pre-register)

Internal Server Error
    The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator at admin@main-hosting.eu to inform them of the time this error occurred, and the actions you performed just before this error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

37. JohnParask

JohnParask

Yes, sometimes it not that stable the last few days, if you didn't manage to pre-order you may pm your email here.

38. JohnParask

JohnParask

New Feature

You can now rotate the camera around using the middle mouse button. (Hold it and drag the mouse)

39. JohnParask

JohnParask

Runtime Level Editor will be available at 23/01/2014 around 9:00 pm (UTC +2) as early access (before Unity 5 released) so it would be prized at 60 , however everyone who pre-order will get a 20 € discount. You can still pre-order it until 23/01/2014 9:00 pm (UTC +2).
    http://rld.url.ph/wp/pre-order/

I also want to inform you that the official forum is up & running.
    You may visit it at : http://forum.rld.url.ph/

Note :

Since RLE can not be uploaded to the Asset Store until Unity 5 is released you will have to buy it using our brand new E-Shop website which is fully secured using PayPal as a purchase method.

IF THE WEBSITE IS DOWN, TRY AGAIN. (This happens due to high-traffic) If you still can't access our website and you wish to pre-order then email me at : paraskevlos@yahoo.gr with your name.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  40. JohnParask

JohnParask

davem250 likes this.
  41. Instability

Instability

I'm curious, does one get the source code when purchasing?

JohnParask likes this.
  42. im

im

very nice / interesting!

why not make it available through unity asset store?

JohnParask likes this.
  43. JohnParask

JohnParask

Sure, the full source code is included.

It would be available, but Untiy Asset Store does not allow me to submit it until Unity 5.0 is released.

44. Instability

Instability

I'm intrigued... Is it possible to use prefabs that have scripts in your editor? Can you edit their public variables, just like in the regular inspector? If yes, then that's something I've been waiting for!

JohnParask likes this.
  45. JohnParask

JohnParask

You can have scripts into prefabs or even add only scripts (using a transparent object which will be visible only in the editor), however you can not modify public variables, at least not yet.

davem250 likes this.
  46. davem250

davem250

Hi GrrekStudios0, when i have purchased the RLE through your website, when will we be able to unzip the password protected zip file??? do you send a code via e-mail??? thanks,
    David Mortensen.

JohnParask likes this.
  47. JohnParask

JohnParask

The encryption password is included into the payment receipt.

davem250 likes this.
  48. davem250

davem250

Thanks for the answer, but i still don't see my payment receipt anywhere only the receipt from paypal but it doesn't contain any code that i can see :p

JohnParask likes this.
  49. JohnParask

JohnParask

Check your spam folder from your Email

EDIT : Contacted with davem250 and everything works fine now.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  50. im

im

? dont you have 4.5 version. if so why cant you release that in UAS?