Search Unity

Running old Unity 2.x games on OSX 10.9 Mavericks

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by any_user, Dec 19, 2013.

1. any_user

any_user

I'm working at a University where we have an archive of games and prototypes our students made. A large part of it is made with Unity 2.x, some even with 1.x, but I recently noticed that all of them crash when starting on OSX 10.9. Of some games we have the source code, but especially of small prototypes we only have a build, and the source code is either somewhere on the students hard disk, or not even there.

Is there a way to run these games on a new system without recompling them? For now we could just use an old computer with an older version of OSX, but this won't get easier in the future. Would be sad if all these games are not playable anymore. If anybody has an idea how to solve this problem, please let me know!

2. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Why not try to export them to a web player and run them through a browser?

3. any_user

any_user

With the source code, it's no problem, but I'm looking for a solution for games of which the source code is lost/not available.

4. gecko

gecko

Is this true -- you can't run webplayer games built in 2.x on Mavericks? We've got a bunch of games out there for past clients, and I can't believe UT would drop that support. It's only been a few years.

5. NTDC-DEV

NTDC-DEV

We're approaching 5 years (2.6 released in end'09), half a decade is a lifetime in software.

Nevertheless, I do agree that at least 2 major versions should be backward-supported. You might need to revert to a VM and run another OS... Maverick and Unity don't go along well, mostly because of problems on Apple's side mind you.

6. gecko

gecko

Well, 3.0 wasn't released until Sept 2010, so some 2.x projects (that were almost done so we didn't bring them into 3) are only three years old.

It's not for my sake that I'm worried; it's for my clients who, only 3-4 years ago, paid good money for something that won't work for most Mac users now.

7. Ostwind

Ostwind

Well 3-4 years is a very long time in software business for an app to not have updated in any ways since platforms and their tech/requirements change and in this case of webplayer browser too. This should have been known issue for your customers when they ordered and probably written in the contract that it will probably require mandatory platform updates in the future.