Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Run Jump & Shoot

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by SoftwareWorkshop, May 29, 2015.

1. SoftwareWorkshop

SoftwareWorkshop

Hi,
    I recently released a new game called Run Jump & Shoot. Currently it's available on the Google Play, IOS version is currently under review and I won't be surprised if they will reject. It's the first time I'm submitting anything to the IOS store so I guess there is plenty of stuff that I could have done wrong.

Anyway - RJS is an endless runner set in the scifi settings. You play as a secret agent running away from the enemy base (endless base to be sure). You have to jump and slide to avoid obstacles, slide under the shoots and kill the enemies as you go. The last one is not required - if you won't kill them they won't do you any harm. Apart from shooting at you of course, but as they have only one shoot you might as well ignore them once they've fired at you.

You can see it in action here:

If you would like to give it a try you can grab it at https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.plateaugroup.runjumpshoot
    Feedback would be nice. Both good and bad.

2. Sailendu

Sailendu

Looks good, downloading.

3. SoftwareWorkshop

SoftwareWorkshop

Please let me know if you like it once you played it.
    Have fun.

GarBenjamin likes this.
  4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

OK @SoftwareWorkshop a little preface - I'm working on something kind of similar so some of my comments may be a little overly critical only because I think this type of runner has a lot of growth potential. I don't have an android device yet so I didn't get a chance to play, all comments are based on video.

I recently played Vector - which I didn't even know existed before last week. The things that Vector got right was the animations - so any game (your game) which is in the same vein as Vector needs to have good animations. The animations you have aren't bad, but they are definitely not unique - and there is no variation. Dude slides the same way every time, jumps the same way every time. Some variation would really be nice. It doesn't have to be full up parkour ridiculous monkey flips or anything, but some variation would add more appeal and reduce the repetitiveness.

The other thing Vector got right (my opinion only) was the obstacle avoidance and impact animations. Every different type of obstacle has a couple random avoidance moves and has different impact moves. It's actually pretty forgiving on the mid-height obstacles and has some random animations if the player doesn't swipe at the right time.
    In your game the character dies if an obstacle isn't dodged. I can understand the fire and the grenade/explosion and the bullets killing him, but wires hanging down kills the guy? And a storage rack, and a pipe that is nearly cleared kills the guy? It seems like a death is a little extreme, and it would be more player friendly and funner if there was a different result from running into wires hanging down or not clearing the storage rack.
    It looks like you used ragdoll for the deaths. They look pretty nice. A couple improvements could be adding some visual feedback on the different death types. i.e. Catch that dude on fire when he slides into a burning vapor trail or maybe he could do a choking death pirouette before going into ragdoll when running into the poison cloud.

I'm not really a fan of Vector for a number of reasons but the animations are great, and I like it because of that, and I think it improved upon runners before it and gave us areas to improve upon it - Greatly. :)

When you get through iOS review - please update here so we can know it's available.
    And hopefully you can give me some quality feedback when I'm finally able to show my works on here.

5. SoftwareWorkshop

SoftwareWorkshop

Thanks a lot for your input.

I will try to add some different animations for next version but it will depend whether I'll get some good animations.

I understand your point about death - in some cases it might have been extreme but on the other hand try to run your face/head into a pipe. You might end up unconscious. Anyway - it might make sense for vector because there is some guy running after you, but in my case there is no danger in running slower so slowing the run down if you hit the non deadly obstacle just don't make sense. But I will think about improving the idea to make more sense.

I will consider some additional effects for death/gas death.

When you have something to show then just PM so and I will give it a try.

Thanks.

6. SoftwareWorkshop

SoftwareWorkshop

As promised - IOS link is here.
    Please let me know what do you think.

Thanks
    Mariusz

7. Sailendu

Sailendu

Just played the ios version. The game is good, but I think the controls can be improved. Right now the character doesn't jump or slide as soon as you press the buttons, so it's kind of hard to predict how much earlier of a obstacle to press the buttons for jump or slide. The character should jump instantly when the jump button is pressed. And congrats for releasing your first game on iOS.