Search Unity

RTS Game: Armor Clash

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by stevenluo, Jul 27, 2015.

1. stevenluo

stevenluo

Like those classic RTS games, player can build up a base, train an army of modern armor and crash down the enemy with gunfire and missiles. Besides that, you will also see features like unit customization, random map, realistic vehicle effect that makes the game exciting.

There will be both PC and Mac version available.

Now it is on Steam Greenlight, you can support this game by voting in:

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=488460557

Announcement Trailer

Good Feature:

1. Realistic Vehicle Effects

By the powerful vehiclephysics system of Unity 5.0 engine, every vehicle unit has almost the same detail level of cars in racing game: each wheel of the tank or APC is simulated from friction to damping, you can see the suspended system works when vehicles moving across the rough ground.

There are also many lively physics effects implemented, like each explosion will exert forces to items nearby.

The details of vehicle producing in the factory are also visible. Crane hand carries the vehicle base to the workshop, robot hands install wheels and doors automatically, finally the vehicle move out of the factory, you can watch the whole process instead of just see units created on the map directly.

The details of vehicle producing in the factory are also visible. Crane hand carries the vehicle base to the workshop, robot hands install wheels and doors automatically, finally the vehicle move out of the factory, you can watch the whole process instead of just see units created on the map directly.

2. Unit Customization

There are not factions setting in the game, instead players can build up their own troop with hundreds of combinations.

Player choose the unit for different classes in the armory. For example, in the Main Tank class, there are M1A2, T90 or other tanks(new units will be added) available. In the Helicopter class, player can choose one from machine gun, AA-missile, long range missile to install on your Apache attack helicopter. In the Air Support class, F35 air strike and AC130 gunship support are very different in action. Player can form their own strategy from these units combinations.

3. Neutral Forces

Besides the enemy, there will be neutral forces spawned on the map, Player can hunt them to get bonus resources, and once a whole neutral camp was cleared, a group of units will come out and fight for you, they maybe rocket jeep, T72 tank, or someone else, which means you get extra forces at early stage.

4. Random Map

As it shows in the trailer, buildings and doodads on the map is randomly generated. When hosting a game, player can choose a map theme like Desert, Mountain or City, then a random map will be generated after game started. Maybe in the last game there is a resource point surrounded by houses that infantry can garrison, now it becomes a factory that full of explosive oil containers, so the strategy must be very different each time.

Weak Points:

It seems odd to tell the weak points in the advertisement. For this is my first game and my resources and energy are limited, so there would be lacks in content than other AAA RTS game. I should tell you honestly before you decide to spend any money on it. I will keep making games for players in a long term, so the trust is most important, and I will try my best to improve the game, fix every bugs before and after the game release.

1. There may not be campaigns

I know that campaign is a very important part for a RTS game, but I really did not have enough resource to make it: I can not make CG, and can not hire people to make record speech. I think I should put my limited time and resource on features like skirmish battle, random map etc that can be replayed more times.

BTW: I may add Challenge Mode in futures, which may be very different from skirmish play.

2. Max player number is 2

For each unit even doodads on map have physics property, the performance costs rise up. I have tried a 2V2 skirmish battle, when 100+ tanks on the map the performance is not acceptable. By now I reduce the max player number to 2, and it works well. I will try to optimize the performance and it may take change in future.

Future Contents:

1. Local Network Multiplayer

By now the LAN is under designing and testing, I should make sure every object is correct in synchronization. It may be 1 or 2 months later after the early access version released.

2. New units and maps

I will keep on adding new units and maps, like Leopard 2, Paladin howitzer, Warrior etc, each unit will have its own trait rather than just different attack and hp values, and do not worry, they are free:)

I will also update news on the facebook page:

https://www.facebook.com/windforcegame

These are the details of the game, I am still polishing the game now, please do not hesitate to give you any feedback on Steam Page or facebook, I will try my best to make the game bette and cooler:)

GL && HF

Windforce

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Whiteleaf and calmcarrots like this.
  2. stevenluo

stevenluo

In Armor Clash, missiles are fine crafted. Different phases of accelerating, smoke and glow effects, explosion effects are detailed, which give player realistic experience.

Deleted User and Whiteleaf like this.
  3. AaronXRDev

AaronXRDev

4. stevenluo

stevenluo

Thank you for your support.

Unit Showcase: SA-8 Gecko

The 9K33 Osa (English: wasp) is a highly mobile, low-altitude, short-range tactical surface-to-air missile system. "9K33" is its GRAU designation. Its NATO reporting name is SA-8 Gecko. Its export version name is Romb.(From Wikipeida)

In Armor Clash, player can choose SA-8 Gecko in fire support class. It carries 6 rockets that can both attack air and ground units with a long range. All rockets will be fired at the same target, and will destroy a normal helicopter, but the long reload time may be the weakness.

5. stevenluo

stevenluo

First skirmish map: Desert

Many players feed back that the battle field environment is too "empty" in the announcement trailer, so I did some polishing work and release some new screenshot about it.

It is the first skirmish map -- Desert. In the desert there is not just sands and stones, in the center of the map there is some abandoned wagons on the rail track, one the left and right, player troop can pass the canyon by the bridge. Control these three import point will be the key to the victory.

6. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Question: Do you plan on adding a workshop map editor/maker? It would help with any lack of content and the longevity of the game. I'd use it.

7. stevenluo

stevenluo

I will consider to make easy way for player can add or customize new units after the game release:) Please visit www.facebook.com/windforcegame for continues update.

Unit Show Case: T-90 and T-72

The T-90 is a Russian third-generation main battle tank that is essentially a modernisation of the T-72B, t was originally to be called the T-72BU, later renamed to T-90.(From Wikipedia)

In the game T-90 has faster speed than other heavy tanks. And T-72 tank will be a cheaper choice, player can form a large armor troop much earlier. Player can also get bonus T-72 tank from the neutral mercenary camp after clearing its guard.

8. ironbellystudios

ironbellystudios

I think the models and overall idea is great! I worry for the multiplayer only approach, as that is a hard line for RTSs to walk without big followings, but it's certainly not impossible! I've voted for you on Greenlight in the meantime :)

9. stevenluo

stevenluo

Thank you very much.

About the network, I will use NetworkView in Unity, but I do not know how to "Save" a game if there is too much physics effects. Does Unity can save a game like capture a screenshot with one command?

10. PenguinEmporium

PenguinEmporium

Well, if you're looking for a Save-state like feature, most people recommend data serialization. I tend to use PlayerPrefabs since I don't usually save an entire scene.

11. Whiteleaf

Whiteleaf

Wow! This looks great! I love RTS games and haven't ever played a modern one. This might be the first one I will play!

12. michael87

michael87

I have to offer you about your game Send me your email.

13. VisualTech48

VisualTech48

I have to admit, I loved command and conquer, and this game reminds me a lot of it.

Great work, happy to see more!