Search Unity

Rpg+Mmo

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bartrman, Sep 20, 2014.

1. Bartrman

Bartrman

Hi all
    Wanted to get the unity community opinion on some thoughts. I am in the planning stage of making a RPG and MMO that I would play and everyone else would play. I have been around a log time playing Rpg's and Mmo's. I remember playing Ultima 1 on Com64. Most of the mmo's/rpg's today are mostly the same with a few differences. I mean you have your standard race's "Human, Elf, Dwarf with some mixture. My thinking is what if you had some different kind of characters to play with other than the norn. So My first endeavor is working on characters for the game I am working on. So my questions to everyone is 1-What if you had characters like Skeleton for a race with a different set of skills for that race. Other characters looking at are Gargoyle reace, Arachned race. Troll race. Each with its own set of skills, weapons and armor. These are some thoughts for Characters.Please fell free to imput on what you would want to see and what skills would be cool.

2. Limeoats

Limeoats

This does not belong in the Showcase forum. Please post this in the appropriate section.

3. Drakons

Drakons

Well, (imo) the reason that most RPGs use some sort of elven/human race as playing race is that players link them with some sort of good/light/whatever race, whilst skeletons and trolls always described the evil/bad/dark races. It would be a fun experience to invert that - thinking of Overlord :D And as you doing an MMO (first aim for a small but lasting playerbase - than aim for massive...) both sides (or even more. a faction free mmo would be nice . . a real rpg) would be possible (even wow did skeletons and trolls :p ). Maybe think about some not so frequent used races? Elementals? Giants? Demons? Cats? :D

4. Bartrman

Bartrman

Thanks will do.

5. Bartrman

Bartrman

Where does it go. First time posting. wasn't sure of correct place

6. Archania

Archania

Look at everquest, wow, and other ones out there. Most have similar races. But if you go large like giants as playable characters remember that everything you have must be giant size.. meaning buildings dungeons etc for all players to interact with.
    I think everquest has the most playable races due to it being around forever.

7. Teila

Teila

Why not go original? Make up your own races or use some of the uncommon ones we see on the asset store as player characters.

Just make sure you make each race desirable to your players. I am a tabletop gamer in my spare time and in many rpg games there are so many different character classes, especially if you add in supplemental books. But some are better than others. If you take the time to make original or even different races, then make sure your work won't go to waste. Make sure they are actually playable and balanced so that people will play them. Nothing it worse than a table full of Barbarians. ;)

8. Whippets

Whippets

If you've got humans as a playable race, that'll always be the most popular choice. Some fantasy MMORPGs release stats on the popularity of races - humans invariably come top.

If you've got a range of heights for your races, then the homeland of the smallest race has to be oversize to allow characters from the largest race to explore.

Reasonable balance is what you're aiming for - I don't think there's a fantasy MMORPG around where constant nerfing doesn't take place to try to create balance.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

I vote for chicken race, they will seriously cluck you up!

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

Troll race FTW!

11. Demigiant

Demigiant

The only type of playable creature that would make an RPG more interesting than the norm to me would be a creature whose habitat changes the game dramatically, independently of the creature's looks. Like a creature that lives underwater or stuff like that.

P.S. I'm surprised no one still jumped in to say "ohnoooo another mmmmorpg"! It's the beginning of a new era :D

12. DallonF

DallonF

Ultimately, what you're talking about only changes the visual style of the game. If I took an existing MMO, and swapped all the character models so that you play as the bad guys and and fought the good guys, would it really be different? It would maybe be a fun novelty for a few days, but ultimately it's the same game.

The question you need to ask yourself is "Why do most MMOs feel the same?" Because I don't think it's the races you play as. And then follow up with "Why hasn't anybody done it differently?" (Or if somebody has done it differently, why have they not been nearly as successful as the same-y MMOs that dominate our discussion?)

Ryiah likes this.
  13. Nubz

Nubz

And it never ends.

14. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Awesome! it's been a bit quiet since the last post where someone wanted to make an mmorpg with no prior experience in game development.

15. SteveJ

SteveJ

I actually think that idea of playable spiders is really cool. Not sure I've seen that before?

(I'm assuming that's what the OP was attempting to say with "Arachned").

16. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

I want a Truckasaurus mount!

17. bbQsauce

bbQsauce

Wookie race pls

18. Nubz

Nubz

Epic idea BBq

19. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

I always wanted a MMO with a shape-shifting race as a third, playable faction. It would keep people on their toes when they cannot trust the world around them. Imagine them hiding in the world as a critter, waiting for you to get close or stealing your best friends appearance (name and all) :D

AndrewGrayGames likes this.
  20. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

That...actually has some potential.

21. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Benefit of being a professional, it was a fun thought that crossed my mind. On top of it, a potentially, natural race for griefers where they can do some good for the overall game by doing the stuff that they love.

22. DallonF

DallonF

Third? If this is an option, I don't think you'll see anybody pick the first two races. You should either have everybody play as the shapeshifters and let that be the main hook of the game, or make it a temporary and limited state that players can unlock (similar to how LOTRO implemented PvP iirc)

But other than that, I really like this idea :D

23. Deon-Cadme

Deon-Cadme

Why? The rule of game design is, if you got something that makes one race better then the rest, either nerf it or improve the rest. So, the obvious step is to first look for two other races that have something that make them equally interesting to play ;) Every race doesn't even have to interest everyone, the goal at the end of the day is to split the community into evenly sized factions that represent an equal amount of strength if all players collide with a big bang.

Hmm... what if you remove xp and levels from a race... what if their strength depended on the number of souls that they consumed since they died? A natural race for hardcore players :cool: Grow stronger then the rest but start all over again if you die.

What if your world is a sphere instead of a map? Or a map on the screen but a sphere in the code... and you create a race that can instantly teleport to the opposite side of the sphere. They just have to find the right location in the world and they can instant teleport straight into the heart of their enemies stronghold (and level designers / game designers would obviously make locations like the most challenging for this race to reach).

What if you can turn the day-night cycle or the four elements into race mechanics? You can go on forever like this and probably also find a mythical beast with the same powers somewhere. Or turn it the opposite way around, dig through Japanese, Chinese, Nordic, European, Native Americam, African... history for ancient beasts with interesting abilities that you can turn into game mechanics.