Search Unity

RPG/FPS Project 2014

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Eric2241, Apr 11, 2014.

1. Eric2241

Eric2241

Then whom.

2. Deleted User

Deleted User

Carking, whilst I agree you should slow down / take your time and show some major improvements. Maybe a monthly swing by swing account, people should stop jumping up and down on you.

Also don't get yourself in a tizzy, be professional and learn to deal with and / or ignore negativity. You think these guys are bad, they are nothing compared to the general public.

3. Eric2241

Eric2241

Ok then.

4. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

OK. This project will never be finished like so many other projects before it that literally put the graphics before the gameplay. I'm not sure why anybody would be interested in looking at computer generated grass, trees and mountains when they can just look outside their window.

5. Eric2241

Eric2241

Again typing said words is not constructive, nor useful. Read the posts before posting on someone's thread.

6. LazyPoet91

LazyPoet91

I am not a dev, I don't know anything about making a game, but I know how to behave politely.
    And what's going on in this thread is really, really shameful. How can you be so rude to the dev? So offending, almost insulting?
    I think you should help and support him with his work. Give him advices is ok, but with a complete different use of language.

To the dev: Keep up your work. Don't listen to the haters. My post is actually not useful at all, but I simply HAD to say this. Made me really angry to read how disrespectful people treat you here.

Hope to see much more of your work soon :)

Baldinoboy and Eric2241 like this.
  7. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks man! And you will be seeing more stuff soon!

LazyPoet91 likes this.
  8. Eric2241

Eric2241

Making grass in maya!

9. Eric2241

Eric2241

Better art assets, and shading!

10. Samuel411

Samuel411

Why are you listening to this person? They even said they don't know a thing about game development. They think your project is great and holy because you have pretty pictures.

Also its not recommended to make 3d meshes for grass as they lower the fps, and from the looks of it you really need to get as much help with the fps as you can.

11. Eric2241

Eric2241

"Ever since I was a child I have had this instinctive urge for expansion and growth. To me, the function and duty of a quality human being is the sincere and honest development of one's potential." –Bruce Lee
    This man matches the description. He says:
    QUOTE EDITED. READ THE BOLD, ITALICIZED, AND UNDERLINED text it clearly says that it is not useful but he is a man of positive behavior.
    PEOPLE READ, life gave you two eyes and a brain use them.

BACK ON TRACK:

I would like help with the fps, that would be much appreciated!

Baldinoboy likes this.
  12. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

Looks good.
    But what fps genre are you aiming ? It seems to be an Open world game.
    There is a story ?

13. Eric2241

Eric2241

There will be a story; though it goes along the lines of a nation united by one monarch, he gets overthrown in a coup d'etat by his brother. His son (the player) will have to fight his family to regain the throne. It will be largely open world like mount and blade. The fps will be like battlefield/cod.

14. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

Don't fall in the trap to do a cod/battlefield clone, usually they are very bad ;)
    So there will be some rpg ? It would be good :)
    Good luck for your game !

Eric2241 likes this.
  15. Eric2241

Eric2241

Yep! There will be quests, and more!

16. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

This thread lol :rolleyes:

Deleted User likes this.
  17. Eric2241

Eric2241

What about it?

18. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Alright, you just went and quoted the 'God of Martial Arts' as if anything he said applies to anything or anyone here in this thread. This 'project' will end up like so many other projects started by developers like yourself on this forum... dead and forgotten as time goes by. Much like all the bad guys who came across Bruce Lee in all of his films, other than Chuck Norris.

19. Eric2241

Eric2241

First off ip man is the god of martial arts he is the grandmaster who trained Bruce lee. This is a legitimate project created by a legitimate group. If it should die (which it won't) in its current incarnation in order to be born into its ashes and arise into a fireball (much like the legendary Phoenix) of code and assets to be distributed in the form of .unitypackage to all of the welcoming souls of non-internet trolls contrary to many people who have besmirched the dainty and just qualities of this thread, and should definitely watch out for karma.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  20. carking1996

carking1996

We want to see the project happen, Eric. But you're focusing more on the artwork than the game itself. Start off with a plane/cube ground and use that for playing. Show us a game you can be proud of instead of just an artfest.

21. Eric2241

Eric2241

I actually have most of the mechanics done such as dialogue, and the first person stuff, and ai system that I am refining. I figure that it will only take about 2 months to get that set up, so I'm working on graphics and maps which will take longer. And plus it makes me more interested if I can look at a beautiful scene rather than a box.

22. Sven-Frankson

Sven-Frankson

I've never tried to build realistic terrains, but have you checked for grass shaders ? You might have a much better quality/performance ratio.

Good luck !

Eric2241 likes this.
  23. Eric2241

Eric2241

Be looked into that however I don't definitively know how to apply them, though I figure I would just replace the default billboard grass shader. Does anyone know of any bill board grass shader or any grass shaders? Any help appreciated.

24. primus88

primus88

People, people... just leave the guy alone. Why so much hate? What is this project worth to you? It's not like you funded his project and now you see him wasting money and time, lol.
    Some of you gave him good pointers, he didn't wanted to listen, then there is no need for the flaming.

Keep doing what you see fit Eric. No doubt that soon you will understand where is the problem in what you are doing, but probably this is not yet the time.

Some people learn from others experience, some learn from their experience and some don't learn at all. Let the guy decide for hiimself.

Eric2241 likes this.
  25. Eric2241

Eric2241

What I've gotten with the unity pro trial. Just experimenting. The scene looks just about as good with out the image effects though I wanted to see what the scene would be like with some added,

26. thornekey

thornekey

are you sure you want to make the grass a mesh and not just a billboard ? Seems a bit costly..

27. Eric2241

Eric2241

I then rendered it to a texture then applied it as a billboard though it did not give satisfactory results, which resulted in a throw away.

28. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I still find grass tricky to make look good. I refuse to use the normal grass method. Looks a lot better to use detail meshes instead. A few more tris but if you can make a good texture it pays off. Still bake the high detail grass into a texture but then apply that to a few bent planes and it will look a lot better.

29. Eric2241

Eric2241

Thanks for the tips! I'll look into that. Unity 4.6 beta main menu design. Don't mind the logo.

30. Eric2241

Eric2241

New main menu location?
    I think this is it.

31. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

100 intensity bloom and millions of flowers.

Deleted User and carking1996 like this.
  32. Eric2241

Eric2241

I admit that I used a lot of bloom, but in the actual build there won't be bloom as this was made with Unity bloom trial. There aren't actually that many flowers as I used larger values for the height and width. Which is the goal. But what can I say haters keep hating. So in the mean time while they keep hating here's a picture of the scene with some revised stuffs, and the main menu made in Unity 4.6 beta. Hope you guys like it, no bloom or image effects for that matter.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  33. Samuel411

Samuel411

Why are you posting pictures of things that wont be in the final build?

34. carking1996

carking1996

If you don't own Pro, why are you posting pictures with it(won't be in the final game)?

35. Eric2241

Eric2241

The picture with the UI will, the picture with the hdr bloom won't unless I can port it to indie effects.

36. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Why post pictures of Pro if you don't own pro?

Deleted User likes this.
  37. Eric2241

Eric2241

Why? Because I said that I could port it to indie effects. READ. OMG. READ.

38. carking1996

carking1996

You're not 5. Act a little older and take criticism please.

39. Samuel411

Samuel411

Maybe he is 5?

carking1996 likes this.
  40. Eric2241

Eric2241

That is a useless, puerile, petty statement which reveals your true age as the child.
    I'm completely fed up with the lack of intelligence on this thread. If I am the 5 year old then I am the only one who is able to actually read. It is completely disrespectful to not read a single thing I post. That creates confusion which ultimately lead to this. Please stop. I clearly took his ideas as I removed the bloom, and I reduced the amount of detail. I know this will result in backlash but seriously if you don't have anything useful to say don't say it, or if you think creating a bogus and useless argument online bring it on, I can fight. This "five year old" will beat you in this argument because from this first day I have been righteous one, I have only combated liable, hate and disrespect. I have also replied to everything however some trolls here have been deliberately overlooking the explanations in order to create this senseless casus belli against me online. How sad. Do unto others as you would have them do unto you - 孔子. Stop.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2014
  41. Samuel411

Samuel411

If you want critisim on your picture showing the menu then : The trees in the background need more detail, the terrain in the bg needs better texturing and more flowers to match the terrain in front.

42. Eric2241

Eric2241

Finally. Thanks! That was actually useful. Will try that tomorrow.

43. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Sun shafts still look retarded.

Deleted User likes this.
  44. Eric2241

Eric2241

There are none.

45. carking1996

carking1996

He's speaking about the flare. I also think it needs gameplay.

46. Eric2241

Eric2241

Oh yeah that was a random flare, I was looking for a flare that was more warm. Though I can replace it. I'm trying to get everything to work before gameplay showoff. Because I don't want to be like every other fps on the Unity Forum where they just show a ready made prefab running around shooting at the air.

Baldinoboy likes this.
  47. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Really nice Eric. Just a recommendation but with the main menu I think it would look better to use manually placed trees in the background. Or just increase billboard distance. Just so there is nice detail in them and the bending, even if it is far away, will bring more life to the scene.

The terrain looks really nice. Love the cliff normals. What are you using for the water?

48. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

What is with the obsession 3d menus? I find people put time into them when they can be doing other things.

Deleted User likes this.
  49. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

I really enjoy 3D menus. They are the introduction to the game and if your game has a living and open environment it feels important to have a living and open menu too. That is how I feel at least.

Eric2241 likes this.
  50. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

So this videogame is about looking at scenery with 'Rapture' level bloom lighting and a menu system.