Search Unity

[SOLVED] Rotate camera on z-axis when x-axis rotation is 90 degrees

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by DivideByNil, Feb 13, 2016.

1. DivideByNil

DivideByNil

I am making a little tilt marble labyrinth game as my first Unity project, and I am trying to get the camera to rotate simulating the act of tilting the game table. The camera is rotated at x = 90, y = 0, z = 0). This causes it to look directly at the center of the game board beneath.

Rotating along the x axis works as expected with vertical input, but rotating along the z-axis simply spins the camera rather than rotate on its relative z axis -- and I understand why. Since the camera is already at 90 degrees, rotating on the z axis will produce the effect of spinning instead of rotating.

My problem is that I haven't figured out how to solve this. I want to be able to rotate along the x and z axises given that x = 90 is center. I've been trying to hours to come up with the math that would solve this but have come up short. I must ask for your help!

Here is an example of my code that produces the issue I described:

Code (CSharp):
    1. Quaternion target = Quaternion.Euler (tiltAroundX+90, 0, tiltAroundZ);
    2. cameraController.transform.rotation = Quaternion.Lerp(transform.rotation, target, tiltForce);
    The cameraController is simply the component script of the camera object. TiltAroundX and tiltAroundZ are accelerometer input angles, Pretty basic, but here I struggle. tiltForce is just an argument to control tilt speed.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

2. gorbit99

gorbit99

This is a basic problem of euler angles. Taking it out of local rotation and instead using world location, or putting the camera into a prefab should work

3. DivideByNil

DivideByNil

I'm not really sure how to do any of those things.

I found no way to differentiate euler angles between local and world. The syntax doesn't seem to allow it. I don't know what you mean by put the camera in a prefab -- a prefab of what? To do what?

Believe me, I tried everything I could think of before I asked for help... These suggestions are far too vague for me. Thanks anyway, though.

4. gorbit99

gorbit99

Put the camera into a prefab then rotate that instead.

5. DivideByNil

DivideByNil

After tooling around for a half-hour trying to work with a prefab I was able to accomplish nothing. I have no idea what to do.

Can you walk me through this? I would appreciate it.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016
  6. gorbit99

gorbit99

Create an empty gameObject, put the camera in it, rotate the gameObject, Done

7. DivideByNil

DivideByNil

gorbit99, thank you for your help! Because of your clear suggestion I was able to solve the problem by placing the camera on a parent dummy object with the camera itself pre-rotated, just like you said! I can now rotate the camera (by rotating the parent object) as desired.

Thanks for your patience and help as I learn to use Unity.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2016