Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Rome: Truly AAA Quality Exterior Enviroment Pack for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by QuantumTheory, Mar 1, 2016.

1. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Rome for Unity is an expansive, truly AAA quality environment pack series that utilizes current-day game industry 3D art techniques to deliver unparalleled quality for your projects.

Here is what you can look forward to:
    • Extensive Modularity; build your city using varieties walls, doors, arches, gates, terracotta roofing, and more, all built on a 2m grid.
    • 100% Physically Based: all surfaces utilize the capabilities of the Standard Shader via the Metal/Rough workflow.
    • No Photo-sourced Textures: Rome is built using the cleanest, sharpest material data possible via custom Substance Designer and Substance Painter workflows. No more blurry, high contrast, photo-sourced images that are double compressed and sent through a destructive image process.
    • Artifact-free Normal Mapped Objects: Enjoy beautiful props with clean, custom normal maps from high poly sculpts.
    • Area-weighted Normals: get the smoothest geometry and lighting by specially modified vertex normals.
    • Library of Prefabs: homes, temples, arcades, hallways, etc
    • Sensible Geometry Detail: all objects are modeled with next-gen in mind, but with LODS and a sensible triangle count for desktop and console GPUs.
    • Demo Scene: Of course!
    • Documentation: A large and detailed environment pack needs good documentation! Youtube videos demonstrate all you can do in the pack.

This thread will be the official development blog of the project! Follow it to stay up to date on screenshots, news, videos, and release information!

Rome: Fantasy Pack I Overview

Demo Scene FlyThrough

High Resolution Screenshots

If you like what you see, please like and comment in the videos. Also, if you decide to purchase Rome, please consider providing a review in the store after you've dug in to it. Reviews are a great way to let customers know what you think and gives them confidence in their purchase! And it is a huge help to publishers like me who do this full time.

Have questions? Feel free to ask any questions in this thread and I'll get back to you asap. Depending on your support request, an invoice number may be required. If that's the case, we will continue the discussion through email.

Thanks for your support!
    -Pete

Last edited: Dec 5, 2016
  2. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Rome: Fantasy Packs in the News
    Rome: Fantasy Pack I was featured on Allegorithmic.com's User Story blog. In this interview, I talk about the material creation pipeline for RFP1, the thought process behing Rome: Fantasy Pack I, and share some tips and tricks.

(link in image)

Rome was also featured in a blog post on 80.lv. Check it out!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2017
  3. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Continuing the Rome Fantasy Pack series, Rome: Fantasy Pack II brings classical Roman exteriors and interiors to your Triple-A projects. Construct Roman temples and other exteriors from a bevy of modular prefabs and props such as ionic and corinthian columns, statues, elegantly carved friezes, and more. Detail them further with an exhaustive list of options for their interior including friezes, brass decor, even fresco paintings. Combine with Rome: Fantasy Pack I and blow away your audience.

Highlights:

• Extensive Modularity; walls, doors, roofs, stairs. Construct your interiors and exteriors using the prefabs, then use the included Combine Mesh editorscript to reduce drawcalls and make it a prefab.
    • Jaw-dropping Materials: Custom-made Roman frescos and mosaic art, many based on their real-life counterparts meticulously reconstructed for use in 3D.
    • Special Shaders: wetness, stains, and even decal shaders. Special effects like puddles can be painted with vertex colors.
    • No Photo-sourced Textures: Rome is built using the cleanest, sharpest material data possible via custom Substance Designer and Substance Painter workflows. No more blurry, high contrast, photo-sourced images that are double compressed and sent through a destructive image process.
    • Artifact-free Normal Mapped Objects: Enjoy beautiful props with clean, custom normal maps from high poly sculpts.
    • Huge Library of Props: Roman furniture, interior and exterior home decor, lighting props, authentic columns, and more.
    • Cultural Detailing: use the 100+ fresco and frieze decals to give your Roman architecture and towns that authentic feel.
    • Area-weighted Normals: get the smoothest geometry and lighting by modified vertex normals.
    • Demo Scene: Of course!
    • Architectural Demo Scenes: Example layouts of interiors and exteriors made using the prefabs included.
    • Unparalled Support: Got issues? Need some help? Shoot me an email using the address at the top. Don’t forget your invoice number as proof of purchase!

Unity Asset Store | Playable Demo | Screenshots | Tutorial

As always, thank you for your support!​

Last edited: Feb 22, 2018
  4. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Here is a sample of some assets, with just normal mapping, you can expect. This is my take on a corbel with some decorative wreaths connected to a small festoon. I took some time to model out the high poly versions of these assets and baking them down to the low poly. The bakes came out pretty good, but I have to go back and refine the low poly a bit more. Notice the soft corners on the corbel. Rome will have many of its 90 degree angles softened either via normal mapping or area-weighted vertex normals.

Each element here is a separate asset so you can reuse and combine them with other decorative assets.

wolfen231, punk, xenius and 2 others like this.
  5. S4G4N

S4G4N

Great looking work Pete, will keep an eye out for this :)

TeagansDad and Whippets like this.
  6. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

This is a test of a detail surface material I created and rendered in Substance Designer. The relief is from a real-life sculpture of Hermes that I took into ZBrush and rendered out some special textures to help create this complete effect. There is parallax occlusion being applied to this box so the relief is completely natural, not generated from some fake diffuse map. It's the actual height data from the 3d model.

I will be spamming this thread with work-in-progress shots. Mods be warned!

7. Whippets

Whippets

Will there be a range of detail textures to overlay on the bottom part of walls? Usually single colour repeating patterns.

Oh, along with bath-house parts, temple parts, and cloister/courtyard parts

8. GCatz

GCatz

WOW :) for a second I though its real
    looks extremely good!

9. TonyLi

TonyLi

Me too; that looks like a photo out of a National Geographic magazine!

10. Whippets

Whippets

I wonder what the poly count is

11. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I may pursue deferred decals for this pack which would make your first request easy to accomplish on the user end.

Yes. I will be investigating pieces to illustrate those environments.

Whippets likes this.
  12. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Here is a base brick/stone wall I'll be using as a common surface. It works well with the bases of columns or a simple trim on the friezes.

As I use Marmoset Viewer and Toolbag to view my surfaces, you can too! Check out the live in-browser preview of this surface: http://qt-ent.com/Blog/substance-base-stone-brick-a/

There are more to see on my Substance Blog, most of which will be used in Rome. I'll post more as time progresses.

Today I worked on a simple arched doorway which proved to be a bit difficult modeling the details. It took awhile to get the technique down, but now it's ready for material detailing.

13. mensch-mueller

mensch-mueller

Hi
    Really appreciate the results, so far! A visit on your blog and Substance Share reminds me that I should work more with Substance Designer or even Painter! :rolleyes:
    Also Marmoset Viewer is a great Preview Tool, unfortunately it doesn´t have parallax. Perhaps it´s in works?

Looking forward to next developments!
    Happy modeling and texturing!
    Michael

14. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

When doing any sort of high detailed normal map work, it pays to create a nice extensive kit bash library of the elements you use in the art direction of your work. Here's a sample of the frilly classical elements I've done which will be used in combination to create details on doors, thresholds, trim, friezes, cornices, etc. I'll also render normal, height, position, world space normal, and ambient occlusion textures of them, combine them in Substance Painter to make brushes.

15. S4G4N

S4G4N

Great !!!
    LEGO blocks so to speak :):):)

TeagansDad likes this.
  16. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

forgot to add a sample of a combined result:

TeagansDad, Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  17. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

good to see you're moving on to some current gen assets. These will surely bring a decent income over a long period of time. Hope you'll be able to release it soon. Maybe add some layers to your subtools and add some wear / tear / cracks so you can create some variations.

Whippets and S4G4N like this.
  18. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Modeled this today. I found it in a reference imagery of a door online. Here's just a piece of the ref:

These are the types of modeled details that I'm talking about; Making these, plopping them down on surfaces thereby creating awesome depth, normals, and albedo infomation. Plus, increasing my modeling skills.

I use 3DSMax for all my modeling. For those that use it, Step Build is awesome for creating the borders of a mesh from reference imagery. I've found extruding edges to be immensely useful. Not the old shift-drag edge extrusion method; the actual function. Give it a try.

19. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Oh, it's certain that I will wear the final modeled results. That's definitely a step in the process. I just need to get the final base geometry going, then bring it into Zbrush to bust it up a bit.

Regards to income, yea, heh, I hope you're right!

Whippets likes this.
  20. Whippets

Whippets

the detail is over and above the norm. It's going to make beautiful social spaces for players to inhabit and interact.

xenius and Teila like this.
  21. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I'm in the middle of creating a set of decorations to place on the various doors from which you'll have to choose. This one here is a door knocker in zbrush.

22. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Three door configurations will be included. I'll also texture these differently for more variety, probably high and low class-styles.. Green box for human scale.

If you look closely, you'll see soft normals on the edges of the geometry. I expect this to look really nice in VR!

Whippets, Teila and PitHeimes like this.
  23. PitHeimes

PitHeimes

Lovely work and good job on the edges. Always a pain in the ass to make them look great :)

24. Whippets

Whippets

Can we have the doors separate with pivot point bottom hinge side? That will make scripting them easier XD

25. Whippets

Whippets

One of the most important multiplayer social space packs in the works. Can't wait.

26. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Here is a shot of a worn marble tile floor substance I'll be using in the pack. I made this a little while ago in Substance Designer and it came out really nice. The little pock marks, the varying crud between the tiles all read very well.

Check out a live preview here: http://qt-ent.com/Blog/substance-marble-floor-a/

Whippets and TeagansDad like this.
  27. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

I thought I would post this shot of a collection of modular pieces so far. Here, this architectural piece is divided up into 4 parts: the column, the arch, the fasciae, and a terracotta roof. These are only a couple pieces though. You can mix and match different pieces of different style and height in there too such as friezes, festoons, and cornices. This pic was chosen just because it's cool ;) You'll notice the Ionic column top that is normal mapped.

When you begin to combine different parts, you get different architecture! This is a sample facade where the posts, archway, corbels (the curvy posts), stairs, roof, and cornice (the trim with the repeating brick extrusions) are all seperate modular objects. Everything is carefully crafted on a 2 meter grid to fit together in different ways. It's pretty fun finding what combinations look good!

I create the pieces in the latin terminology and I'll explain how to use and place it all on documentation. Do you think that would help or hinder people?

Loishtc, hopeful, Teila and 2 others like this.
  28. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Yet another combination of pieces I threw together.

Loishtc, Kurt-Dekker, S4G4N and 4 others like this.
  29. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The pack will feature two architectural types: The typical Roman Domas, where the wealthy reside, and the lowly Insulae. The Insulae were essentially the projects; spans of large apartment buildings in Rome where the poor, sick, and middle class folk get by. In this shot, you see multiple combinations of Insulae modular pieces. Different wall types with different window configurations, slope extrusions,walkways, arches.. The space between buildings was very tight. People practically lived on top of each other.The two prominent inset wall pieces on the lower-middle of the images are storefronts. Inside, people would sell bread, metalsmithing service, pottery, and fruit. Props will accompany those spaces.

S4G4N, TeagansDad, one_one and 3 others like this.
  30. hopeful

hopeful

Use the terminology. :)

TeagansDad, Teila and Whippets like this.
  31. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

The past day I've been dropping in some props with basic UVs and materials. When you model a bunch of props, it's hard to know when to stop or keep going. The best way is to just start placing things down and composing the scene until you feel the scene needs more silhouettes and color information.

32. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Here is a sample of a surface with a new parallax occlusion shader. Expect it to be used in the pack to show off the awesome relief of various surfaces.

mwituni, Jim-Boddie, one_one and 5 others like this.
  33. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Food! More to come.

S4G4N and Whippets like this.
  34. wolfen231

wolfen231

Looking forward to this.

35. Whippets

Whippets

Me too, I'm looking at a whole zone for this pack as we seem to have exteriors and interiors.

36. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

GIven the amount of assets and detail, the first iteration will be exteriors. Depending on interest and performance in the store, interiors and mobile/vr versions will follow!

37. one_one

one_one

That wall texture is pretty amazing. By the way, not sure if you care about that, but corn and pepper wasn't around in roman times.

Teila and TonyLi like this.
  38. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

It's true. I had misunderstood what certain articles were representing. I'm debating on whether to keep it.

39. TonyLi

TonyLi

Scale the pepper thinner and call it a long pepper. ;) Rome imported those and black pepper from the Malabar coast.

TeagansDad, Teila and one_one like this.
  40. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Alright. Cabbage, onion,orange, apple, peach, artichoke, and mushrooms. That's enough food for now ;)

Teila and Whippets like this.
  41. jimmy_doodle

jimmy_doodle

Wow! Is this rendered in Unity internal?

42. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Yep!

43. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Added some bread!

S4G4N, TeagansDad, Jim-Boddie and 2 others like this.
  44. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'm looking forward to seeing what beverage containers you make to help us wash all that food down!

Teila likes this.
  45. Jandar-man

Jandar-man

Keep up the good work!

46. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

Foliage is the next item on the list. I'm experimenting with some cypress trees here. I had the textures from a previously unpublished project so it's great to be able to reuse them. The foliage I make for this project will not be Speedtrees. So in the end, they'll be straight up meshes. I'll also have custom shaders (as above) and will investigate hooking the tree up to the wind system.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
    Fab4, TeagansDad, wolfen231 and 2 others like this.
  47. landon912

landon912

Jeez, those materials and textures look amazing.

48. QuantumTheory

QuantumTheory

So at this stage, I would say that modeling Rome is about 90% completed. There are some adjustments to be made as I start applying materials and UVing. As a result, I've gotten back into material creation inside Substance Designer. Here is a nice common stone wall I'll be using.

Getting the shadowed size looking good was actually harder than I thought. It's not just a matter of rendering AO and calling it done. You have to make sure the relief shows through in sunlight and shadow, but both have to look and feel similar. That's actually not so easy!

49. AdamGoodrich

AdamGoodrich

Great work !!

50. Whippets

Whippets

wow
    +1 for interiors XD