Rogue of the Sea - Game Dev - Recruitment - Accepting All

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by JoystickKing, Mar 2, 2012.

1. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Last edited: Mar 16, 2012
  2. drewradley

drewradley

Do you maybe mean Rogue? Rouge is makeup.

3. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Changed, Thanks

4. Grandbean

Grandbean

I saw this post before under a diff name did you get a name change?

5. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

No closed other, waited for it to drop to the bottom, Re-posted it with the name, that way it's not spam.

6. TehWut

TehWut

I'm actually quite interested in this (I can't help on it) but I fully support this and look forward to it's work. It is actually qutie original (most "original" game threads are not that original at all). But good luck on your project!

7. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Thank you Tehwut. I will be sure to update this thread every time we make progress.

8. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'll admit to being interested in this also. If I wasn't working on my own 2D game plus two other projects I'd help you with writing, sound effects, and maybe music. But the music depends on what I have going on at that moment.

Let me give you a suggestion. I'd only have one music composer and 1 sound engineer. That way you don't have to worry about stylistic differences. Unless their style is pretty similar, than you don't have to worry about it. You could probably get away with having 2 sound engineers more so than 2 composers. Then again it all depends on the size of your project, i.e. the amount of work each particular person will be doing.

You might be also be able to get away with having less then 5 programmers. I'd say more like 3, but I'll let more experienced programmers answer that.

One more question then I'll shut up for a while (lol). Will there be any contract signings involved with this project? Like a Non-Disclosure Agreement or a Contributor Agreement (is there a formal name for this one)? By contributor agreement I'm talking about a contract stating that all work belongs to the company (to put it in a short way).

There are two types of NDAs. A Mutual and Unilateral NDA. A Mutual NDA is usually signed by insiders, a fellow game developer. A unilateral NDA usually signed by an outsider, like an accountant. I'm personally not as worried about it if people don't sign the NDA, but I do recommend a contributor agreement at least.

For those of you wondering where a noob like myself knows this, I got a kit called the Game Dev Kit. It's sold by an attorney named, Tom Buscaglia.

Here are 2 links for you:

http://www.gamedevkit.com/

http://www.gameattorney.com/

Edit: I could have the NDA definitions backwards. Also Is this game going to be free or paid? If it's paid it might be a good idea to pay royalties (% of payments). All of this is up to you though.

PS: I know I oversimplify things. Sorry in advance.

Another Edit: Do you have a Design Document prepared?

Last edited: Mar 3, 2012
  9. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

There will be no contract signing, because that scares people off. I take it in hope and trust that no ones steals our ideas.

Edit: Free, this is for volunteers.

Another Edit: No, the ideas are still in the making.

10. cdcant

cdcant

I'm glad you've found a good concept and I hope you find a good team. It might be worth looking at the ship-on-ship miniature games by Games Workshop for general game mechanics. They are slightly more in the strategy genre than your concept, but they still might supply some inspiration and basic combat mechanics since they are based on dice systems and simple mathematics.

Good luck Sean!

11. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Thank you.

12. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

#Bump to get above spam

Note we are looking for 3d modelers who can model ships. we are also looking for character modeler who can model the Pirates, Spanish, British and other country's..

13. rik338

rik338

stick to a project already.

14. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Yeah, this is the final project and we are going to stick with it.

Also we are in need of a concept artist to draw up some pictures of the galleons and someone who will be able to create the JoystickKing Logo as well as ROS (Rogue of the Sea)

15. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Note: This is a volunteer project, this will go onto be release for free download on various stores, any money made will go towards the funding of the game itself, such as web hosting. No one gets paid not even me and when I said any money made, that money will be made from the site it self, such as ads.

16. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Op Has been Updated

17. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I just want to give you kudos for changing the overview. This one is much better. Some small punctuation mistakes, but I don't care about that very much.

This is just a hunch, but I think you'll get a much more pleasing reaction to the project now that the overview is more polished.

If you want to get even more people interested, show them what makes this unique. By showing I'm talking about posting the concepts that make this unique. If I were doing this I would give just enough concept information to get them interested in contacting you even more. Do not post every little bit of information on what makes this unique, just the important stuff. You'll have to experiment with this a bit though, but it will be worth it, trust me.

Just my opinion. There is always going to be at least one person that disagrees.

18. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Thanks, But in order to get our concept art, we need a concept artist, our modelers are working well enough, but we do need to show our work. Thanks for the advice.

19. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

I take that back, I have just found a bundle of concept art of the final quality of the game, give or take a few things. You can never have a perfect quality game.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  20. crydrk

crydrk

You own that image of concept art? Answer carefully.

21. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

22. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Also If it was ours, it would have a watermark on it to tell people it is ours. Otherwise you must assume that it is not. We are In need of concept artists to draw up ships and other models. Until then we will have to make do with non-copyrighted materiel of the internet.

23. crydrk

crydrk

Nice, you found the edit button. Very professional.

24. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Question: What are the quests going to be like? Any generic quests? By generic quests I mean quests that have the same overall concept but it's still slightly different. Like killing 10 wolves and you go back and you get another quest asking you to get 10 slabs of deer meat (for example).

Edit: I ask because if you need anything like that, I have a generator that will do that in no time flat. I can also generate a list of names, items, dialogue, things like that. If you do need help I would be willing to help you. I'll add you on skype. I'm arcadia.divine btw.

25. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Sorry I took so long getting back to you, I've only just woke up, but at the moment I'd say that the quests will be trading missions, you have to retrieve a certain thInf from an island and so on, but quests will be added in the final stage of the game, because we are aiming for completion not perfection, this means that we will be working on the combat interface first then we will move onto the islands. It would be great if you could help but until then, well that might be a long time unless you are willing to help out in a different area as well?

26. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

That depends on when I find spriters (pixel artists) for my game, how much I have done when I do, and the current workload of the 2 other games I'm helping with. If I can help you soon, I will probably request to do either sound effects or music.

27. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Alright, why don't you look up jerp, he's a 2D sprite artist.

28. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Anyways, We are still in need of modelers, we dont really need programmers for now, but we will be accepting if you offer.

29. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Can I recommend something? Try some task management software. http://asana.com/ . Asana is free, you can also use a google account if you have one. That's what I did, I like it so far.

30. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

I'll have a look

31. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

We need more modelers you dont have to be able to model galleons or ships, we just need people to model buildings props and so on

32. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

I'll ask around about 3D modelers. Are you expecting the modelers to do low poly work? Potential 3D modelers are going to want to know that plus what kind of style of art you're looking for. Some other things to include are, do you want the final model to have bright colorful textures or do you want a more realistic look? I know that you have separate people doing the textures, but the modelers will more than likely want to know that. Plus it helps potential texture artists get an idea on what to expect.

Edit: I know that some modelers can do the shading/texturing along with the sculpting. Just something else to think about now.

33. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

We are looking for high end quality, all the models will be high poly in order to achieve amazing effects when you blow a hole in a ship. This ships are going to realistic and as soon as we get a texture artist we will start to texture the modelers. Like I always say. Aim for completion first not quality.

We are also looking for people who can model small models, such as barrels, creates, wooden signs and so on. You don't have to be an expert at modeling but we do need people who can model ships.

34. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

This is up to you, but if I may make a suggestion on the high poly comment, you could just as easily get away with medium poly models, but have the textures be as realistic as the team can possible make them. That way you save on processing power and whatnot. It takes a lot to sculpt a high poly object of anything really. Plus the higher the poly(polygon) count, the harder the player's computer has to work. Actually, you might be able to get by with low poly models, depending on what the model is for. Certain objects, like barrels, some equipment, shrubbery, maybe even trees will be better off with a low polygon count anyway. I feel like I'm bombarding and discouraging you, lol. I hope not.

Maybe someone with more sculpting experience can help me out on if we'd be better off with low or medium poly models.

35. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Well It depends on how we go about making the effects of the ship falling apart, I don't mind what ploy count we use so long as they look realistic. But I'll take your advice and we will have medium ploy models.

Also I would't say your discouraging me because you are helping me by pointing out the floors, which then can be fixed.

36. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Cool, that makes me feel better. Also we should probably take this discussion somewhere more private. After all this is a collaboration forum, Is that ok with you? We could take it to the chat room on Skype that was already created when I sent you a message while you were offline.

37. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Yeah

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Anyway, we are still in need of the following:
    • Modeler:
      • Character Modeler (0/2)
      • Buiding Modeler (0/2)
      • Prop Modeler(0/2)
      • Ship Modeler(1/2)
    • Programmer In C# (2/4)
    • Music Commposor (0/2)
    • Sound Engineer (0/2)
    • Shader/Texture Artist (0/3)
    • 2D Artist/Interface (0/1)
    • Concept artist Must be able to use Photoshop (1/1)
    • Webdesign Must know PHP/HTML5/CSS3/HTML/Jquery (0/1)
    • Terrain/Environment Designer (0/3)
    • Particle Engineer (0/1)
    • Level Designer (1/2)
    • Writer (0/2)
    • Animator (0/2)
    • Video Editing (0/1)
    • And anyone else who is interested

38. SaviourSelf

SaviourSelf

I'm rather interested in this, and think its a great idea, however I noticed a small grammar error. The apostrophe in Rogue's is possessive, and presents ownership to the word "of".

Would it not be "Rogues of the Sea" (no apostrophe) which would mean "More than one Rogue of the Sea"?

39. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Yeah, someone has already pointed that out, it's been changed though. Unfortunately you can't change the forum name.

40. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

I wasn't going to post here as you seem to be able to take criticisms constructively which is a start at least. However you then go out and start attacking other projects, despite the fact that your project exhibits all the signs of being as implausible as theirs. You haven't even addressed some of the questions you are asking others.

There are plenty of "ship vs ship games", making something on a different engine doesn't make it original. You don't even describe the game, your "concept art" suggests a first person shooter set at sea, although I expect thats not what you are trying to do. How about you write a description of the game, describe you own skills and experience, explain how you are qualified to manage a team of 30+ people, and leave the trolling to people who have at least added something to the community.

41. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

qft

42. ryandcreations

ryandcreations

I can do the terrain within unity.

43. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

@ryandcreations: Great, Pm me or add me on Skype: sean.w.hall

@johnnya: the reason I have not added much to the ip is because there's not much to say at the present time although I have not trolled on other threads. Like on that zombie thread I only stated what I thought about the current state of the community. But in life there are going to be people who like what you do and some that won't, I understand your point of view although I don't fully agree with it.

Also it is third person and like I said I was not attacking the sun thread. I was asking questions because I was interested and they had not awnsered the main ones. About ship v ship. No one hast done it the new unity as I know of and not as medevil.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2012
  44. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Currently uploading a images of three ship models, given to me by a friend called Jed. These will be featured in the Alpha. We hope to make at least 20 Ships. I understand that the ships need a few touches here and there. But in order for that to happen we need a full time modeler who will be able to edit them, make changes to it and so on.

This is the end quality we are aiming for on all ships we will make. We also need a developer who has a lot of experience in unity and coding to make the sail mesh a cloth so that it reacts with the wind.

45. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Right on man, I can't wait to see them. Wind shouldn't be too had to accomplish.

46. runner

runner

:) Just a friendly warning about the cloth mesh, It works great but the performance is much better on small area's like capes or flags or curtains, performance would be undesirable on sailing vessels of the middle ages with many sails they had. (Dunno if this was optimized with 3.5).

47. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

We'll keep that in mind, when we come to the stage of making the game play look more realistic it is most likely we will try a number of ways to getting the sails to react to wind. For now we are getting our ships done and this one needs to be textured, which is why we need a texture artist. But anyway this marks a milestone in our development as we will now be able to work on the movement controls and start to get effects such as the water moving, cannons firing fire itself and so on.

People we need:
    • Modeler:
      • Character Modeler (0/2)
      • Buiding Modeler (0/2)
      • Prop Modeler(0/2)
      • Ship Modeler(1/2)
    • Programmer In C# (2/4)
    • Music Commposor (0/2)
    • Sound Engineer (0/2)
    • Shader/Texture Artist (0/3)
    • 2D Artist/Interface (0/1)
    • Concept artist Must be able to use Photoshop (1/1)
    • Webdesign Must know PHP/HTML5/CSS3/HTML/Jquery (0/1)
    • Terrain/Environment Designer (0/3)
    • Particle Engineer (0/1)
    • Level Designer (1/2)
    • Writer (0/2)
    • Animator (0/2)
    • Video Editing (0/1)
    • And anyone else who is interested

48. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Currently uploading the other two. Which both too need to be textured and adjusted.

49. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Congrats on the milestone. Ship looks good.

50. JoystickKing

JoystickKing

Tuesday bump