Search Unity

3D Rocky Hills Environment Pack - Development Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by florianalexandru05, Jan 23, 2016.

1. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Rocky Hills Environment Pack
    Asset Store Link - pro

Description

High-quality environment art package for AAA games V 3.0. Little to no photo source material as most textures are made using Substance Designer or hand-painted. Assets are well optimized as 4k atlases make it light for GPU and memory while the prefabs contain 3 to 4 LOD levels. The vegetation contains and works with the third-party tools Custom tree importer (CTI) which is compatible with Advanced Foliage Shader. The custom tree importer shaders provide realistic-looking wind and foliage with minimum performance impact so there is a good possibility of use on lower-end platforms.

Compatibility

Standard version: The pack is compatible with most versions of Unity ranging from Unity 5.0 to Unity 2019 and higher as it contains only art assets. Supported download version starting from v 2017.1.0.

SRP version: This pack is compatible with Unity (SRP: URP + HDRP) 2020.1.3f1 or higher. Supported download version 2020.1.3f1 or higher.

• CTI HDRP fix - 05.13.2021
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yeGjFDmQH4OPSd79w3YnXcrQN1c5FRwj/view?usp=sharing

• CTI URP fix - 05.14.2021: See the bottom of the post! ↓↓↓
    Main pipeline Standard

The main pipeline used is the Standard Shader, Metalness workflow with merged maps and supports instantiating: (Metalic Shader: Albedo (RGB) // Metalic (R) Ambient Occlusion (G) Smoothness (A) // Normal (RGB)).

Main pipeline Standard SRP

The main pipeline used is the "Universal Render Pipeline" containing one HDRP conversion package inside. Switching to the High definition render pipeline is relatively easy and works almost out of the box.

CTI shaders

Work within the Standard Pipeline and within the Universal Render Pipeline/ High Definition Pipeline. Each pipeline has its own run time components.have custom shaders workflow with merged maps and supports instantiating: (CTI/LOD Bark Shader: Albedo (RGB) Smoothness (A) // Normal (GA) Specular (R) Ambient Occlusion (B)); (CTI/LOD Leaves Shader: Albedo (RGB) Smoothness (A) // Normal (GA) Specular (B) // Ambient Occlusion (G) Translucency (B) Smoothness (A)).

Features and version updates:

• Features

• PBR materials and 4k texture atlases, light for GPU and memory
    • Unique cliff meshes with 4 LOD levels
    • Modular boulders with 4 LOD levels
    • 1019 prefabs total (optimized meshes, merge prefabs, and more)
    • 561 models
    • A variety of ground tiles for summer, fall, and winter
    • Unique wood texture tiles
    • Unique 4k tree bark texture with roots
    • 20 particles
    • 14 Amplify shaders + 1 edited and improved terrain grass shader
    • Editable amplify shaders:
    - Detailed Map Coverage Snow (detailed map + customizable animated sparkles, supports tessellation)
    - Detailed Map Coverage Moss (detailed map + dry and healthy color, supports tessellation)
    - Snow Foliage (simple shader for snow covered plants)
    - Simple Snow Triplanar
    - Ice shader
    - Running water shader
    - Custom Standard (Tessellation)
    • Mesh and ground splats including snow
    • Summer, fall, and winter seasons for all assets
    • 146 trees and 156 bushes
    • High-quality grass models with variations and wind including "terrain versions"
    • All trees and plants have realistic wind and shading
    • 4 Example scenes
    • 4 Example scenes URP
    • 2 Example scenes HDRP

• Updates and improvements from the previous version

• Improved textures (less blurry textures)
    • Updated models
    • Improved billboards
    • Better integration with the terrain engine
    • Better playable example scenes
    • High-performance grass mesh. Improved grass mesh with different shaders types: grass, weed, bushes, and flowers.
    • Interactable HDRP demo scene with UI.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Current Stage (current) v3.0

This package is currently being updated and improved further!!

Old Stage (outdated)
    Posts underneath are like taking a trip with the time machine!

Very Early stages

Models

Later screenshots

More updates to come!​

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 14, 2021
  2. Mister-D

Mister-D

hello , looks good !
    i dont know what sculpting software u use but i think your rocks look kind of blobby.
    what u could do is create individual sharp rocks( with planar cut(this is in zbrush)) and merge them together into one mesh. then go into xnormal and bake the mesh.
    anyway looks good allready but could use that bit of extra ;)

3. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for the suggestion but I was actually intended it to be that way. Next time I'll make a new pack I'll try it out.

As updates, the mobile level is coming along very nice and it looks divers and vast even with the limited model variation. Just a peek on it...

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
    S4G4N and Mister-D like this.
  4. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update!

Screenshots of vegetation props:

Coming up next, rocks and cliffs.

Farelle, S4G4N and Mister-D like this.
  5. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Early version of a cliff model. Still not finished yet.

S4G4N likes this.
  6. S4G4N

S4G4N

like everything about it :)

7. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thank you very much, Forge!

Model Update!

_____________________________________________________________________________

Tangent space normal map seams problem [Fixed]

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/tangent-space-normal-map-seams-problem-fixed.384063/

"So I made a cave, UVed it, painted the texture and even baked the normals. I fixed the seams and I even repainted the normal map so it's seamless but the shading where the seams are turn out wrong. I tried everything out there but nothing works! Object space normals work fine so it has something to do with the tangent space normal. http://wiki.polycount.com/wiki/Normal_Map_Technical_Details I tired using the software in the link to convert the object space to a tangent space normal, no seams but the shading is wrong so I need the traditional tangled normal to work. Anybody have a idea?"

Problem fixed!

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    S4G4N likes this.
  8. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Full cave model update.

BackwoodsGaming likes this.
  9. witchscroll

witchscroll

the rocks looks nice, look forward to see more.

10. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

You intended for the rocks to look less appealing, less realistic by making them look "blobby"? Okay, well suit yourself I suppose. I would take the critiques and rework the pack to make more natural looking rock assets, just my opinion though.

11. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Realism wasn't something I was aiming for from the start since this was going to be made for a semi realistic/cartoon style fantasy game. Natural rock aren't all sharp and square, nature makes all sorts of forms depending on the geological conditions, location and type of rocks.

I was aiming for something more like that:

What you see in the screenshots are actually the old versions of them and I have to admit after getting the same criticism again I can see they aren't really too appealing and since I lost some of the models, I am planning to rework them anyway. As an artist I always took criticism but I left some of my artistic freedom guide my results so if you like it or not is up to you!

Thank you for the suggestion again, I'm actually going to to try it out. The cave model you see in sketchfab will remain the way it is so I'll try to getting some slightly rounder shaped rocks at places. What I care about the most is that the models match!

BackwoodsGaming and S4G4N like this.
  12. protopop

protopop

This work is gorgeous! I love grass and rock.

I want to use them in my game:) Can't wait for it to be on the asset store.

Great work.

13. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks you! : )

Thank you very much, sir! What you see in the screenshots are old and the up to date terrain looks alot better but I lost some of the models so I'll have to remake them. I'm going to try putting some more quality in to them but I'll also include the mobile version, a playable level and even a couple of environmental shaders. I'm a bit indecisive about the price though.

S4G4N and protopop like this.
  14. zugsoft

zugsoft

Very good job.
    I will buy this one too.

15. protopop

protopop

I know the huge ones like Manufactura are around 70$ - if you have about 1/3rd or 1/2 that you could price yours accordingly. Just use your judgement. You can always price it on the higher side of whatever your estimate is and if its too high or theres no sales you can adjust it down - its easier to adjust down than up. I know as long as what i buy comes in useful its not so much the price as it is the quality.

16. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks you very much for your support. I was away for Valentines, was it any fun?

That's very helpful. I'll try to keep the price reasonable. Thank you :)

17. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update! Cliff v2

I know it's not the best lighting choice which makes it look a bit artificial but it's fine for showing of the normals.

I would also like to mention that the first version of the cliff is downloadable for free on sketchfab.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2016
    protopop and S4G4N like this.
  18. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update! Boulder

protopop and S4G4N like this.
  19. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

New screenshots of the current version of the pack with remeshed model topology, normal maps and AO.

protopop, S4G4N and JamesArndt like this.
  20. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update! Cliff 2

protopop and JamesArndt like this.
  21. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

These are outstanding, what an improvement!

22. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Update! Rock medium 3

Thanks! I was just remaking my old ones and I decided to leave a few rocks a bit more round shaped to match with the big cliff. 2 more rocks + 2 more medium cliff rocks + rock details and a few more stuff and I'm down with the rocks. It takes a long time to make, a rock a day... After I'm done I'll remake the vegetation since I'm not satisfied with how it's looking.

Thanks again for the comet and btw I placed the models side by side, they blend wonderfully. I am also realizing my mistakes as I work.

Edit: Speaking of mistakes, I made a mistake on the normals for the second cliff which is why it doesn't look right compared to the first but it's a easy fix when I get back to it.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2016
  23. Teila

Teila

Love the rocks, but don't need the trees. Any chance you would release the cliffs and rocks separately?

24. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Not at the moment. I'm making one huge pack, but aside from this, someone asked me before so I'm also giving the mobile versions of the rocks for free. I'll make a free pack soon, (the ones from the top screenshots), but I'll retexture them...

25. Teila

Teila

Can't use the mobile ones. :) But thanks anyway!

26. gecko

gecko

These look great --- but I really like the smoother, rounded (in quirky ways) rocks in those photos you posted above. There are lots of rocks with beveled edges in the Asset Store, not so many with that rounded-granite look. I'd love it if your pack had some of those, to construct environments as in those photos. They are far more common than people apparently think.

Also, one problem I have with most rocks is that they use a single texture for the entire rock, which means it's blurry when viewed at close distances. I really need BIG rocky mounds and cliffs, which means tiling textures. Possible in your pack?

27. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Thanks for the comment! Yes my models use one single big texture for this pack unfortunately but making tiled cliffs sounds pretty good so I might make a small separate pack, unfortunately those will have to use composite materials (grass on top) but I guess that it depends on what people use it for, we will see...

Update! Rock Medium 2

Update! Rock Medium 2 [RHE] Lighting test

Last edited: Feb 28, 2016
  28. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

kittik likes this.
  29. witchscroll

witchscroll

nice rocks

I suggest you make more rocks. i dreamed to make terrain only use meshes as rock/ground.

30. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I am making more rocks, I'm not even half way through also at the moment I'm putting together a free pack to :)

31. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

A small update on the free pack

Generic Cliff 1_Mobile vrsion, one diffuse texture. (No AO or normals)

I can't believe how well the mobile version got remeshed, it was looking pretty terrible when I picked it up from the dead, only 347 faces. I also fixed the other mobiel cliff.

32. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Not related to the pack but something I'm secretly working on while I work on the free pack.

GCatz likes this.
  33. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

34. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Last update for awhile. Working on something I almost got finished and I'd like to upload it soon so this pack will be on hold for a bit. It's the largest pack I'm making so far so actually expect more development on it .

35. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Still alive and breathing Unity lol. I am planning to sell the textures for the pack and the vegetation separately from the free version, at a cheap price. Rocky Hills Ground Textures with vegetation. This is what I got so far, Just need to adjust some things and upload:

Rombie and Teila like this.
  36. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Some new updates and a short video coming soon.

Uploaded a video with the purpose to give you an idea of the terrain scale. I think You Tube needs time to adjust the quality.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2016
  37. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

any date ? would love to purchase it!

38. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Not sure for now. I'm almost done with something unrelated I was planning to release this month but I just submitted the textures and vegetation + that terrain for 4.50$ (just waiting for approval) separately which was actually meant to complement the free version of this pack. After I upload the free version I'll get back to the current HQ pack, I'll be working on it in parallel with the free actually. I can't estimate when I'll be done but I can say it's going to be around 40 to 50$ or so. Most of the work is already done...

Tiny-Tree likes this.
  39. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Ground textures with vegetation released for 4.50$

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/59961

_________________________________________________________________________________________________​

Keep in mind that the texture quality was made from the previous version. You will find the same texture quality in the upcoming free model pack. Everything will be remade at 2048 px for the HQ one.

40. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

This thread is still alive and I'm back! I just finished and submitted another pack, which explains why this thread didn't get any updates for a while. It's been a while indeed and since then I tried finding ways to boost the looks of my models in Unity. I have been looking in to this pack again and I think I'll remake some things, till then enjoy some screenshots of the new look!

41. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

not plan to release on asset store?

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  42. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Not at the moment! I just finished another one of my asset packs just now: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/82569

What you see in the thread besides the latest images is pretty old and needs remaking. I am taking a small break but this is my next pack. What I can tell you for now is that I have if half done but I want to think a little bit on what to add and how to make it better.

43. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Gonna spam but, I want to make good looking trees and better foliage. I want it to be AAA!
    Also that means I have to work on the free version as well which I want to be pretty decent.

44. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

this package was just perfect quality for people aiming at mobile device, its sad if you make it better its probably not fit anymore, considering there is not a lot of good looking vegetation that would fit for mobile, it may be very interesting to release as is for the mobiles platforms!

florianalexandru05 likes this.
  45. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Well it's still gonna work for mobile devices. I won't really change the poly count, just make the topology better and remake textures and normal maps, I just don't like they way they look. I will add texture versions for mobile to and all models will come with LOD included. I'm pretty sure it will fit. I will offer free samples for people that want to use it for mobile. :) Also the free pack is going to be 100% mobile friendly! (I will include my old models in it to)

My vegetation pack has mobile friendly shaders but I I think I will try to make better shaders for foliage. I don't plan to big on that, something as simple as speed tree with vertex animated leaves so it's going to be good for mobile. Foliage will also have baked AO in the albedo like the vegetation pack, so no worries about draw calls. Everything will have 2 versions, for mobile and next gen. What I am working at is just the aesthetic look of the pack. We'll see how that goes!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
    Tiny-Tree likes this.
  46. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Alright, I'm back from my long brake, even made a few packs in the mean time and left this one aside but now it's time to give it some love. As It was brought up by one of my clients, I will make a announcement!
    I made the decision of releasing the free environment pack early, while in wip, and that will be as soon as possible. I think it could be a useful asset for game developers.

Expect updates soon!

alexanderameye and Tiny-Tree like this.
  47. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Some updates for the free version of the pack. I started creating and putting together resources I have in a new project so I can have it online soon, maybe this month if not the next one. Also, I'm putting the cave I did for the big pack in this free one. I'm giving it away for free! :)
    I will remake the cave in 4k for the big pack.

Don't expect much from this pack, just a few rocks and some trees... Will include normal maps and a few AO maps.

48. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

Still putting my stuff in the free pack. Won't be much, just a few cliffs and rocks and some spruce trees. I'm almost done, will just add a tile texture and I'll upload it as soon as I can, then I'll make updates later.

The models are almost identical to the high quality version, only lower polygon count for the mesh. I just baked the texture map from one mesh to the other.

49. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

I set up the free version and I also decided to put those old models in the pack to in addition. The rest of the regular models are pretty much ok for making a decent looking game. I'll just call this the light version of the pack. I should send it for submission by tomorrow or a few days at the least. I'll make a announcement when I do. The only thing I'll be skipping for now are those trees because they're a huge mess but I'll include the spruce trees. I'll add the trees in a later update.

50. florianalexandru05

florianalexandru05

A bit delayed but I wanted to finish the example scene I set up for the pack. Now I should have it uploaded. At the moment the pack contains:

3 Tiles
    15 Prefabs
    16 Models
    1 Spruce tree with 3 variations
    1 Example secene
    1 Legacy Project pack (13 items)

Well, I accidentally rendered in Gama but I thought it looks pretty interesting.