Search Unity

Rocket Fist - Throwing one punch at a time

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DanielSnd, Apr 15, 2015.

1. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Lately I've been working on a long-term project, it started off as a local multiplayer vs arena, kind of Towerfall meets Pool, in which you only have 1 (bouncy) weapon and have to retrieve it to throw it again. Later on I decided that not having a singleplayer mode would cut off a lot of the game's potential, as people don't always have friends over to play games, so I set out on a quest to make it a more complete game.

Along the way I started a devlog, with the goal of having NO-ZERO-DAYS of working, so every day since february I have been writing about my progress in the game that day. That made me feel accountable, I know that some people are actually reading what I write, and that if I miss one day they will know, the rules I imposed to myself is: It doesn't matter how small of a task you complete in a day, you must at least complete one task.

So that's my story, I'm now bringing that devlog over here, to spread more the word about the game and hopefully get some feedback on the way :)

And here is yesterday's devlog, it's not always in video format, but yesterday the update was a little too visual to show in text/gifs.

RavenOfCode, ADNCG, Woolooh and 4 others like this.
  2. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

So today I worked on the last attack, I left this one for last because it was the most complicated to create… Well, it had the most parts D:

It consists in a fire puke (particles, lots of particles), which should cause damage if touching the player, and spawn enemies if there aren’t enough enemies spawned already.

I started by creating the particles, took me a while to achieve the visual I had in my mind when thinking of fire puke, but in the end I’m quite happy with the end result of those particles :) I made an array for them and I’m toggling an “enableEmission” toggle in the code when needed, so they don’t just disappear out of nowhere, but instead smot emitting.

"foreach puke in FirePukes"… Don’t judge my naming conventions XD but yeah, that’s kind of how the actual attack code is looking. It’s a succession of things happening with WaitForSeconds waiting for the next thing to happen.

So, the boss can puke enemies at you, that will both force the player to deal with a bit more direct threat than the boss’s pattern of attacks and will also be a source of possible health-pickups and extra weapons. They’re aggro-able and will follow the player if they pick their scent, while adding them I found some problems on my pathfinding, so I had to reprogram some of it, now if the enemies find a free path to the player (checking a raycast) they’ll simply move in the players direction, otherwise they will use the A* to try and get a free path to the player, that solved a bunch of problems.

For the spawn itself, I decided to use the same spawner I wrote for the rooms, however some of the logic in it involved talking back to the room to tell if the monsters were dead, and give a list of the alive monsters for it to keep, I had to abstract some of that so it wouldn’t require a “roomtemplate” component. That opens up possibilities for making hazards that spawn enemies, or enemies that spawn other enemies, like the boss :)

Now there is only one thing left for this boss battle to be “done” for the contest… The boss death D: I’ll leave that for tomorrow… I am running out of time though =x I have until 11:59pm of the saturday to submit this to the competition, but saturday I should be already working on Ludum Dare so… D: I gotta finish this up quick, I still have a menu to program!

#Unity3D#gamedev#game development#indie game dev#indie game development

Last edited: Apr 17, 2015
    Woolooh and SeanHoward3D like this.
  3. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This would have to be the most original idea I have seen in a long time! :)

Love the gameplay, looks ADDICTING! Are you releasing this?

And this whole thing reminds me of Super Smash bros. beginnings! (It all started when Sakurai, the SSB developer, made a test engine... ;))

4. thedreamer

thedreamer

wow.. I am just wondering... Am I going to see this product in the asset store?

5. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Thanks ^^ I've been taking it to some indie gatherings over here and people get crazy over it, they seem to have a whole lot of fun :D

Being compared to smash bros <3 such a honor!

No D: Definetly not, you'll probably see it on Steam and the Wii U e-shop.

6. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

The game is almost ready for the competition! Uncle Knuckle is now done, all the attacks are there and he properly dies once both hands are taken out. I did a quick death animation that is actually not as bad as I thought it was going to be.

I also got the goal in there and added to his code that when spawning he should close all the doors into the room, and when dying he should open the doors and open the room’s goal.

Now I want for the competition to take the player from that goal beam to a “Win Scene”, so I figured for now the player simply escapes the factory into a grassy happy field, not sure what a robot is going to do in a grassy field but that’s good enough for now XD I got to reuse the grassy field I made for the Infection Game about a year ago.

Now I only have 1 day left, I still have one key feature for the singleplayer that isn’t there yet. When the player dies nothing happens, no continue, no special menu, no nothing. So I’m going to add a cool little scene with player parts on the ground and a message saying press Start to try again or something like that. It’ll restart and generate a new level (tutorial if you haven’t passed the tutorial, regular level if you already have passed the tutorial).

Other than that, I still need to build some sort of main menu for the player to choose between arena or adventure D: and picking how many players for the arena.

Well, that’s it for today, hopefully tomorrow I’ll get this thing done for submission D: Tomorrow is also the start of Ludum Dare, so I’ll be busy with that for the next few days afterwards.

7. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Looking better than ever! Keep it up! :)

Love the grassy field also! And who knows, maybe the robot has a couple of organic parts in him that need the sustainability grass brings... ;)

8. Stiffx

Stiffx

9. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Hahahaha, solar-grass-powered-panels!

Thanks! ^^

Started the day by fixing a couple little bugs, and adding some extra help for the player to understand that a locked door is a locked door, as you can see by the picture above. Some playtesters didn’t really understand what was up with the blue beams in front of the door, so I hope with this little screen above it it becomes a little more obvious. Once the door is unlocked (Now the keycard also sports an unlocking icon) the icon updates on the little screen. I also added a little screen to the boss door.

Afterwards I went on to a very important gameplay element that was missing, a game over screen with a button to restart the game. I made a broken robot and created a game over scene with it.

Afterwards the theme for the Ludum Dare was revealed and I went into brainstorm mode with my team, since I still have a lot left to do in Rocket Fist for the competition we picked an idea that I could program fairly quickly, I’ll most probably have to do it in one day and a half.

I’ve been procrastinating the menu for a long long time, but with the competition deadline being tomorrow, I figured I should do something better to have on the menu. I decided to try and do a 3D Logo, since 3D is more of my specialty, used maya to create text mesh based on the font and retopologized it, extruding it to give it even more of a 3D look. Soon enough, the logo was born, the first logo I actually liked for Rocket Fist.

I then set out to actually do the main menu. I need the player to choose between the Adventure mode and the Arena mode (Even though the Arena mode is waaaay more fun right now, not sure if all the judges will be able to have other people around to play with.) Using the same assets from the logo with some modifications, I made a scene with the buttons.

Now for tomorrow I need to program the button selection with joysticks (and mouse, why not), and make another scene for the arena player amount selection. Tomorrow is the LAST DAY to submit the game to the competition, so I really gotta get this done before really putting time into Ludum Dare.

ADNCG and Woolooh like this.
  10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

This is a big leap forward; A main menu, game-over screen AND one of the most impressive 3D logos to come from an, er, indie dev round here! :p

And with all this going on, I wish you luck in this competition thing you're submitting to! :)

DanielSnd likes this.
  11. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Thanks ^^ I just submitted today! Your comment made me really happy XD

:) That's how the game is looking right about now.

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Could you post animated GIF? I can't see youtube at school... :(

13. sowatnow

sowatnow

Looking good, well done.

Eths likes this.
  14. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

:eek: it was way too many changes/improvements for just one gif, that's why I figured a video would be better to show, hopefully by now you managed to watch it I guess XD

Thanks :D still far from done though xD despite having already submitted to this contest, I want to make this a long-term commercial project.

---------------------------------------------------------

Alright, so yesterday I submitted Rocket Fist to the Student Game Competition, today I decided to not work on it and do just the Ludum Dare instead. If you don't know what Ludum Dare is, you can learn more about it here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ It's a huge Internet-based Game Jam.

The theme of this edition is: "An Unconventional Weapon".

I got together with my team in Flock Draw and after a long brainstorm we came up with the idea of a pacifist sword that just wants to do gardening. In this case you're controlling this sword, rolling around in a garden. However there are a couple of animals roaming around and if you're not careful you might hit them and enter a EXSWORDSISTENTIAL CRYSIS!

But yeah, started making it this morning, this is what we got so far:

Tomorrow I need to add some win/lose scenarios. We also want to have some gems and such coming out of the bushes as we cut them (<3 Zelda), for the player to collect and score based on. Maybe a store to spend them and improve the sword's speed, jump and etc. But not sure I'll have the time… We'll see ^^

HakJak likes this.
  15. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Interesting concept! Sounds like a Honedge (A gen 6 Pokemon) decided it wanted to do gardening... And failed in the process! In case you wish to know, I pulled up a Pokedex page on this thing: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Honedge_(Pokémon)

And Ludum Dare? I might re-furbish one of my experimental projects and pop it on that... ;)

EDIT: Just came up with something really funny... :D Might pop a WIP link in soon! :)

Last edited: Apr 21, 2015
  16. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Hahahah that does look like my guy XD, I want to see what you came up with btw :D

This is what I did yesterday:

You can play the game over here: http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-32/?action=preview&uid=53184

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Oh yea... Obviously, the comp's over, and I couldn't submit anything... :D

But what I had thought of? AN accidental cooking accident starts off a series of wars where the primary unconventional weapon is, guess what? COOKING IMPLEMENTS! And of course, the classic frying pan makes an appearance in the middle of battle! :)

Anyway... that was as far as I got. that and a makeshift frying pan made in blender. :)

18. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

awe, too bad xD that would have been cool to see.

----------------------------------------------------------

So today I took the games to Full Indie, a cool Indie Devs Meetup that happens over here every month. I showed Ex-sword-stential crisis to a couple of people but as I was head to get my head back into Rocket Fist mode, and Full Indie always gets me pumped and full of ideas, I got some people to play the singleplayer mode (but most of the time… multiplayer, because it’s way more fun and more people can enjoy it at once XD)

So, I’ve been struggling with the singleplayer for a while, it’s nowhere as fun as the multiplayer and sometimes it actually feels a little slow/boring. So I wanted to see some people playing it while I watched to figure out what kind of things I could do to improve their experience. I also talked quite a bit with a friend of mine that was there (the guy in the first picture), he’s an awesome game designer and always has great suggestions.

One thing he noted was that one of the greatest feelings is when you get to bounce weapons from each other in a cool way, and that’s also something I love about this game, since I first implemented it. With the scrap weapon, the weapon you get with most abundance in the game (you get it by dash bumping into an enemy, so you have a pretty infinite supply of it), that is kind of lost. The weapon is a single-use only, you throw it, if you miss an enemy, it sticks to a wall, and you lost it.

Losing the weapon and having to re-do a dash bump to acquire a new one was quite frustrating, sometimes it’s hard to aim and a battle would be way longer than needed just because you keep missing the shots by little. So the idea is, you can still retrieve it from the wall, the weapon will only be destroyed if it actually hits the enemy.

So I went back and changed the code for this change to work, and when I tested something I didn’t quite foresee happened. When I threw a scrap weapon and I hit a scrap weapon stuck on a wall, it bounced back. And while I didn’t foresee that happening, it actually felt good to me. It had a similar effect ot the weapon where weapons bounce and I feel good for doing something cool, so I think that is part of the solution :)

I have some more ideas on how to improve the scrap weapons, one of them is to have the upgraded scrap weapon explode into it’s smaller unupgraded pieces when hitting a wall, and those pieces come away from it with enough speed to damage a nearby enemy, which would be one extra reason to try and upgrade your weapon (by picking more scraps while already holding a scrap). The other idea is to add a little explosion when a scrap-to-scrap collision happens, so you could throw a scrap into a bunch of scraps and cause a cool chain-reaction with scraps flying to different places.

Well, but those will have to wait until tomorrow, I need some rest! I know I only took a 2 day break from Rocket Fist, but I’m so pumped to work on it again :D

19. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Impressive! Love the scrap weapons; I actually have a similar "multiple little pieces" weapon in my mobile arcade racer! (Mine works by splitting into three after hitting an opponent, with one going after the leader and the other two picking any target they wish. ;))

Likewise, I can help and give examples if needed! :)

20. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

On top of that, what do you actually do in single-player? I can help improve it if you like. :)

21. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

The singleplayer is a little dungeon-crawler with room generation like binding of isaac. Going to send you a build, suggestions on how to improve it are welcome xD

22. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Awesome! Got your PM BTW. :)

EDIT: Heh... I think there's a slight typo in the program folder! (It's called "RocketPunch!") :D

23. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Today I implemented the other changes I mentioned yesterday about the scrap weapons. Now the upgraded one explodes on contact with a wall distributing it’s components equally around it ( Took me some time to program the math behind calculating the angles for this distribution ><; Math is definetly not my strong suit )

I also made whenever 2 weapons hit each other, they create a little explosion between them that can impact other nearby weapons, which creates some cool chain reactions when throwing scraps into other scraps.

With those 3 changes (2 today, one yesterday) I feel the singleplayer is already much more dynamic and less boring/repetitive. It’s still not super fun, but it’s taking steps to the right path I believe.

I also did a bunch of quick fixes in singleplayer bugs I noticed while people played on full indie (Especially a pathfinding bug that made aggro-able AI go crazy). And made the enemies drop between 1 and 4 scraps when dying, which lets players always have at least 1 scrap laying around after killing an enemy. Another thing I did was to limit the amount of upgrades a scrap weapon can get, so things don’t get too crazy like in the video.

One last thing I did today, I will probably not make available for players, but helps me in the development… Sometimes I want to get just the right screenshot, but it’s hard to time the unity editor pause just right, and then I have to find the camera in the hiarchy to move it, and then the particle effect is not how I wanted and… ugh! So I created a cool script that with a button lets me slow down time using my mouse wheel, with another button it lets me set the timescale to 0, effectivelly “pausing” the game, while toggling the camera into a free-roam mode, which allows me to get the timing right for cool screenshots in nice angles/camera positions :D (+ a button that allows me to step frame by frame if what I want is not actually there yet).

Well, that was it for today :) It was a productive day.

ADNCG and Corvinuz1227 like this.
  24. romi-fauzi

romi-fauzi

I'm subscribed to the development of this game! are you doing this alone? I'm also coming from a 3d background, just started to learn c#, but yours already looking very professional-ish....

25. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Yeah, I'm doing this alone, this is my baby project :) I had a lot of experience doing this kind of things already, I've been making smaller games for about 2 years programming and about 3 years doing art. You can see some of my other games here. ^^

26. boromir6

boromir6

I just want to say, I think that boss is absolutely beautiful. So smooth and well designed, and the colors are perfect. That could've been straight out of 3D Mario World or something!

DanielSnd likes this.
  27. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Thank you! that is great to read! :D Seriously!

Today I fixed some more little bugs and made some more little changes.

When people were playing I saw a lot of people having trouble to hit the enemies with the dash, the dash would fall short and they would find themselves too close to the enemy and get hit. So I increased (for the singleplayer only) the range in front of the player in which the dash will do a dashbump, I plan on making a particle effect in front of the player doing the dash like it’s an actual attack. That made the dash bumps easier to connect.

I also bumped up the amount of knockback that both the enemy and the player receive from the dash. To make extra sure the player would have an easier time not getting hurt, I also decreased the player’s collider a little bit, so the player needs to get closer to the enemy to get hurt.

Playing around with the screenshothelper I did yesterday, I wanted to make things prettier so I started messing with some settings and fiddling with some particles (Made improvements to the dash particle, rocket trail particle, and created new particles for when you equip a weapon and upgrade a scrap weapon). I found out that I didn’t have DX11 turned on, and by turning it on things became way nicer and better antialised. I also fiddled with the Ambient Occlusion script and it now feels better as well.

This is how the game is looking straight from my screen, without the super sampling and color correction I usually do for the pretty screenshots. It looks so much nicer than it used to <3

Talking about much nicer, I also fiddled with a supersampled screenshot of the logo, and made a png version of the logo and an icon version :3 It’s prettycool to look at the build and see an actual icon instead of the default unity icon ^^

I sent the build to a few people to playtest and it seems that the changed I did to the singleplayer are making it better, I haven’t yet had a chance to see someone playing in front of me though, like I have seen previous versions. I’ll try to bring it in person for some people to playtest tomorrow in an event. It’s so much easier to see what is frustrating and what is fun to people by observing them playing.

Well, that’s it for now. I’m happier with the way the gameplay is going right now, so I might go back to doing more art tomorrow, I the environment to look a lot better for the greenlight trailer D: and I need a lot more variation.

28. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Today I didn’t do much. Acting on the feedback I got from people using the keyboard to play, I added a way to aim and shoot with the mouse.

It checks for the mouse position every few mili-seconds, and if the position hasn’t changed in a while it deactivates the reticle and you can play just fine walking around. If you move the mouse the reticle is activated and the robot will be looking towards it. It will also shoot from the center to shoot directly at the reticle.

This made it way easier and more enjoyable to play with keyboard. I think the key to actually making it enjoyable as a whole now is in the enemies…

SeanHoward3D likes this.
  29. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

The game looks really good try posting in the game design forum for ideas with the single player gameplay. I was watching the video and it seemed alittle too slow, I guess not enough enemies or something

30. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... I found the dash bump sometimes failed for me. But then again, at times, I couldn't aim the scrap metal to save my life, so... I dash-bumped more often than what is porbably intended

31. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

@Aiursrage2k: That video was from alpha1, I've played a newer build myself, as part of the testing DanielSnd and I are doing, and it is somewhat quicker. (It's actually really fun watching your scrap weapons blow themselves up on walls! :))

32. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Good idea, I'll try posting there later on :D
    I'm also thinking of changing the way enemies work, making them more aggressive, maybe that could help feel more frantic.

____________________________________________________________________________________

Today I took a break to do a Brazilian Game Jam. The theme is water, we had an idea of going kind of the opposite way and making a game about lack of water. The player controls a character in the desert and has to manage his thirst levels while looking for water.

I got a desert in there and a character animated and moving around, dashing and attacking… Still, lots to do, and not too much time to do it =x tomorrow is going to be a long day.

FuzzyQuills and romi-fauzi like this.
  33. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

So… The Desert Game Jam didn’t go as well as I expected, the idea was too complicated, I didn’t have enough time (less than 48 hours because of time differences), and the gameplay ended up being quite simple :( At least I’m quite happy with the terrain generation :)

You can see a gameplay gfycat here.

Thanks to the terrain generation and the lighting, the game itself is quite pretty, I’m happy with the way it looks :)

+ This bug when the enemy just decided to say goodbye go away forever is quite funny:

SeanHoward3D likes this.
  34. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... Obviously that guy's not a fighter! :D What are you using for the AI?

35. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

romi-fauzi likes this.
  36. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

So, as a first step towards improving the enemies…. There was a weird bug with the aggro-able enemy AI. It was behaving a little weird and getting confused. Most enemies in the first playable test version were passive, which might have helped to the “slow feeling” of the game.

When doing the AI for the desert jam game I ended up figuring out what was causing that bug and how to fix it, so yesterday's task was implementing this fix back into rocket fist and the aggroable enemy is now behaving as expected :)

Yesterday was a slow day, I needed the rest after all those back-to-back jams ;/ and today while I thought was going to be a productive day, I woke up to a fire alarm test that they said is going to happen all day long. So I might need to sync the project to my laptop and try to find a quiet place to work somewhere else.

37. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

That would have definitely gotten you up... :D Very annoying, especially if it's actually caused by a dead battery. (I've been woken up in the middle of the night by alarms a couple of times!)
    I didn't even realise there was a bug there! :D I did find though that one hit from the rocket knocks them silly... ;)

38. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

So, once I introduced the mouse as a way of aiming (and eventually when I use the wiimote as a way of aiming), I knew I was going to have to make some strafing animations and implement them. Luckly, I had figured it our previously for another game and I just had to go back to some old code and adapt it for use on Rocket Fist.

Setting it up on the animator is pretty straight forward, I just needed to separate my “speed” float into a X and a Z speed, and pass those from the script into a blendtree. Soon enough I had my guy animating his run based on the direction he is looking at. Of course right now in the gamepad you cannot look into a place you’re not running but who knows, I wanted to experiment with allowing for aiming with the right analog stick, so we might see that implemented soon enough.

39. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Well, for R-Stick aiming, ,make it so that it can move around based on joystick direction, then have it snap onto the character after the stick is released.

40. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

YES! :D

So, a couple of classmates asked me to teach them how to rig, and I was already wanting to make some new enemies for the game, as to have proper telegraphed attack animations (and proper attacks instead of simply hurting you by touching you). I think proper enemies might make the singleplayer more interesting.

So I made this guy, this is his original concept art in my white board. I reused some of the boss model to save some time on modeling him. As you can see on the concept, I'll mess him up a bit, and break some parts of him and expose his wiring, but I was in a hurry so I just did the symmetrical version first and rigged that, will do some broken variations later on and use on the same rig.

I haven’t animated him yet (Yesterday was a long day teaching the classmates how to rig XD) but he’s rigged and ready to go.

41. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

I've been looking back into the devlog over my progress in these past 2 months of daily development... I'm starting to have a feeling I've made a mistake putting so much work into the singleplayer, that still doesn't feel fun for me.

The multiplayer has been fun and well received since it's inception, since it had about 3 hours of work put into it. The singleplayer after about 160 hours of work put into it, is still just "meh.. ok".

It's effectively 2 different games I'm developing, and the one that has received the most attention and time investment, sucks, while the other is pretty awesome and fun with minimal effort. I'm starting to doubt if I should put more hours into the one that hasn't proved itself.

I started making the singleplayer because I figured people would want to be able to experience the game without friends around, and the singleplayer mode could fill that void... but would it? If I can't make it fun it could even devalue the game, as people could judge the game based solely on the singleplayer experience. On the other hand, it could eventually be a fun and enjoyable experience if I sink a lot more time into it, but should I take the risk?

Now I'm thinking of how much more awesome the multiplayer could be if those 160 hours have been invested into it instead.

42. romi-fauzi

romi-fauzi

Hi Daniel,

I've been browsing your tumblr page, also watching the dev log, on getting some insight for the AI. I'm doing some AI on my current project, and it is currently using if statement, but somehow it get pretty messy enough, so I'm interested in your implementation using states.

Could you perhaps show me a bit of your code? Regarding the states, and also changing states condition, I've read the one in your blog, but somehow still cannot getting mine working correctly, maybe I'm just thick...

43. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Well yes, I most certainly can.
    Instead of my code that is quite a mess and has lots of things that will only work with my game, I wrote a very commented example AI and made a little package for you, hopefully it helps.

AI Example Code
    AI Example UnityPackage

If the code is still confusing, you can check the example scene in the package and test it out there, I included a bunch of debug logs and OnGUI texts to show what is going on.

44. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Anyway, today I poked real quick at the enemies, just making them all aggressive and making them take little intervals while walking so they wouldn’t just all flock at the same time towards the player.

I figured if I want feedback on whether to invest some more time on the singleplayer or pause it, I might as well give you guys a build to test and give me feedback based on ;x

So here it is:
    If you can try it out, I’d love to hear what you think.

Should I continue the singleplayer or give it a rest for a while and keep on working on the multiplayer?

45. romi-fauzi

romi-fauzi

Thanks a lot for the sneak peak of code! my problem was apparently changing state after yield return 0; line, as yours before, does that make a difference?

Downloading the game right now by the way :)

46. romi-fauzi

romi-fauzi

I've played it, for a pre alpha, it is really polished, it's really awesome.

Unfortunately I can't test multiplayer mode, maybe I can test it tomorrow with my son...

DanielSnd likes this.
  47. ExDeaDguY

ExDeaDguY

Honestly.. I think the single player was a lot of fun.. Sure... it was short and I zipped through each stage "zone" area in less then 30 seconds, But if you opened up the stages a little bit more (Increased size), added more enemies that you just fight for no reason other than surviving (Instead of every enemy being part of a goal to progress), and add more scrap weapons to use with various effects when used... Plus add a back story that drives the single player.. It would improve the overall feel. (In my opinion anyways). I could definitely see this on something like xbox live as a download for $5 bucks or something. I'd purchase it and play the single player when friends aren't around. Maybe have progression of single player unlock other bots and levels or something for multi-player. Add power ups to single player, make the # of enemies enough to crowd the player and have intense strategic button mash fight scenes. A lot of ideas could be put in place to make single player more exciting, just keep in mind.. Almost all games work on pleasuring the reward portion of our brains.. With multi-player you can dominate your friends and then talk trash to em, that's reward enough in it self. With single player you will need the game to offer that reward incentive to the user.

Regardless with what you decide for single player development.. You have a great game on your hands with a lot of polish and fun factor for being such an early alpha. Great work so far. Keep it up!

Last thing: You could also always think about online multi-player for when someone is playing alone. Or even if you have friends over.. increase the players per arena to 8 or 12, create larger maps for bigger games and allow up to 4 local player connect with others online.. That would definitely be fun.

Hope some of these ideas help you out,
    Best of luck!

48. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

That makes a lot of sense, thanks for the suggestions! :D I'm was already thinking about increasing the size of the rooms and getting more enemies in there. When I get back to work on the singleplayer I'll try implementing those along with a power-up system and extra weapons.

Thanks ^^ About online multiplayer, I tried playing around with that a couple of times, both with photon and with bolt, and damn, that stuff is so complicated D:

For my daily update:

Well… so… Yesterday I had a problem with my Maya license… Long-story short, I'm now learning how to use modo. Modo is pretty damn awesome and I'm so happy with it’s features :) Hopefully I'll break the "learning new software" barrier quickly and get to do some awesome stuff at it soon.

I'm following a couple of digital tutors tutorials, that's my objective for this week, learn modo while making new environment assets… I also gotta re-rig the little robot D: so I might learn rigging in modo doing that as well… So… Nothing to show for today, and probably for the next couple of days.

In other news, I figured out that since there's no way I’m releasing in june, I might as well move to Unity 5 already. So I'll now be able to move on to the new Unity UI, and get the Audio Mixer in there so Thiago can mix the audio :D

Well, that’s it for now \o

romi-fauzi likes this.
  49. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

My first foray into modo territory! :D So far I’m loving it, lots of things are soooo much easier and effective to do than their maya equivalent! Some things I’m still getting confused by, but I hope I can move past those soon and learn this tool, it’ll make me better and more efficient :eek:

I was following this tutorial: http://www.digitaltutors.com/tutorial/1476-Your-First-Day-in-MODO

JanCDS and romi-fauzi like this.
  50. DanielSnd

DanielSnd

Full HD version // Tutorial

This is the result of my second day with modo, following the second tutorial in Digital Tutor's modo learning path :D

I’m really really loving modo, things are way easier to do, the tools are way better thought out, and things are in many ways more intuitive. By now I feel confident enough to start working on Rocket Fist using it. (I've been away from the project for too long D: I should go back).

Next tutorial I'll follow is focused on Game Interiors, which is exactly what I need to do for Rocket Fist, then I'll stop following Modo tutorials and just get to my regular rocket fist work.