Search Unity

Road Architect: Roads, intersections and bridges for Unity [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MicroGSD, Mar 5, 2014.

1. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

2. Rico21745

Rico21745

Hey MicroGSD,

Does Road Architect support procedurally generated roads? In the future, we may need to generate roads between points on a Terrain procedurally and I'd prefer to not have to write my own tool for something like that if possible. Do you have a runtime API we could tap into? (can't be done using the editor, must be done at game runtime)

3. Meceka

Meceka

It's not connected to building. That building wasn't there when i have created the road, building doesn't have a collider. And this can happen even if there isn't any other object other than road and terrain.

4. Boneyard_Games

Boneyard_Games

I love the product, purchased it a little after it was released and it's been useful for all of my projects.
    I'm just posting this because I hope to see this resolved on future versions, making small roads attach to larger ones.

Something to look like this maybe?

5. Meceka

Meceka

Roads doesn't get lightmaps. Also there is no lightmap setting in inspector.

6. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

You can use GSDRoadAutomation.cs to see how to automate road construction from scripts. However, it will not work during game runtime.

7. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Meceka,

In the inspector window for GSDRoad there should be a "Lightmapped" setting (and you will have to mark Static as well). Do you have not have these options in your version of RA?

8. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi TXMex, this will be doable in the next big update to RA, however it is not currently supported (see http://microgsd.com/RoadArchitect.aspx at "Advanced intersection lane interpretation").

9. Meceka

Meceka

I don't have those options.

10. devias

devias

Hey MicroGSD,

Can I Export All roads, shoulders, bridges, tunnels, fences in one object ?

11. JBR-games

JBR-games

How is the next update coming along? last I seen you thought late may or early June. Maybe late June??
    Also what are the planned updates in the next release? Hoping for on/off ramps , improved intersections sizes, and the ability to have different road sizes intersect. Been watching this for months and waiting for these updates to buy this asset.
    thanks

12. Meceka

Meceka

While moving markers that are closed to each other (or in different roads, when they are near) It makes unwanted intersections. The reason is the drag-drop marker intersection thing has unnecessarily large value or something. Where can i set this value? I want intersections to happen when i put markers completely on top of each other (instead of about 20 meter away).

13. gecko

gecko

Just purchased this, but I get a compiler error:
    Assets/RoadArchitect/GSDRoadUtility.cs(3928,43): error CS0103: The name `tData' does not exist in the current context

I'm using Unity Pro 4.3.3 on Mac Mavericks.

14. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi JBR,

The updates timeline is probably late July now. The update will provide a mechanism for you to input any kind of 3d object you want and mark road entry points and seamlessly connect roads to any object you like, based upon any tangent you want.

Hi Meceka,

I'll add this to the issue tracker to make it a global option to specify the snap area.

Thanks for the suggestion/bug report.

15. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi gecko,

I've responded to your email with a link to an update which will fix your issue.

16. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Meceka,

I've provided you with a link to an update which will provide you with these options.

Hi devias,

You can export an entire road (including all of its sub objects) via "Windows -> Road Architect -> Export -> Export whole selection to single obj"

17. droderick

droderick

Hi Micro,
    just wondering we purchased RA back in April and are using it in a production environment (a real app that is being delivered to a client). We have been eagerly following the status of updates and were wondering if there were a way we could get on a beta list for testing/and possible use in our project. We have already pushed RA to it's limits in terms of functionality and have actually build our own traffic system from the ground up to work in conjuenction (as much as possible) with Road Architect. Was wondering if we could be put on a beta list for your development builds of RA. If this is possible, please PM we and i'd be happy to setup a time to talk with you about what we have/are doing with RA.

thanks,

d

18. ssb

ssb

I have a quick technical question if you don't mind. What method do you use to detect/connect the edges of meshes extruded along curves? Like the dividing walls or railings. You use externally-created meshes but connect them along curves seamlessly.

19. casselliot123

casselliot123

is the forest scene included?

20. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi droderick,

Email me at support@microgsd.com and we'll get this sorted out.

Hi ssb,

I wrote a custom algorithm to determine which vertex points should be connected to each other. You can also customize the thresholds for this algorithm. Additionally you can use a different second custom algorithm I created to extrude objects the more rigid way (although I think I marked it as deprecated).

You can see the implementation in the GSDRoadMeshSplinate.cs in the Setup function. You can see how the mesh caps are handled too to save triangle counts.

21. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

22. gecko

gecko

I'd like to make the shoulders on my dirt road to be peaked rather than flat (like the dirt and gravel has been plowed off the road, forming a peaked border along the road). Is there a way to do that?

23. Meceka

Meceka

Hello,

How can i use the generated splatmap png file? Can you briefly explain, or direct me to a tutorial? Thanks.

24. gecko

gecko

Also, the intersections of my dirt roads have an awful lot of meshes in them. I need just the most basic of intersections, but RA creates a bunch of meshes, most of them overlaying other meshes. And if I have shoulders enabled, it's even worse. Is it possible to have super-simple intersections -- simply two roads meeting, without lanes or anything?

25. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Gecko,

For that I would make a custom extrusion object in a 3D editor and texture it with the appropriate gravel or dirt, and then extrude it across both sides of the road.

This is a good idea, I will add it to the issue tracker to allow for simple intersections when simple materials are used like dirt.

26. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Meceka,

To use a splatmap png file, use it with an asset like TerrainComposer which will allow you to paint terrain based upon the splatmap. This will allow you to create very realistic looking texture effects surrounding the road.

27. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi everyone,

Those of you having DX11 issues with shaders can download this update:

http://microgsd.com/Support/AH192938/RA-619.zip
    1. Unzip the file
    2. Import the package into Unity
    3. You may need to re-import the materials folder of Road Architect
    4. This update and about 10 other minor updates will be available from the store within a couple of weeks.
    5. You may have flickering issues directly after importing the package; simply double click on the terrain in the hierarchy and re-zoom in to fix this issue (or restart Unity).
    Thanks

28. gecko

gecko

That'd be great! Any idea how when that'd be available in an update?

29. tgentry

tgentry

I have been reading a lot about GSD Traffic. When I first read on your web site that it was to be apart of Road Architect, I said good enough and bought Road Architect. Now I read that RA will work with GSD Traffic, how can I get ahold of GSD Traffic to go with RA?

30. longroadhwy

longroadhwy

This is good. Looking forward to your other updates.

31. Meceka

Meceka

How should I make a road closed loop? It never works whenever I make a roads beginning connect to its ending. I have also tried adding a second road (road2) to make the connection between node1 and node(last) but it still doesn't work. It makes some unwanted bugged connections.

32. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi gecko,

I'm not sure when this update will be available. Probably within the next two patches.

Hi tgentry,

GSDTraffic will be a separate product from Road Architect but they will be integrated with each other. It will be released later this year. If you aren't satisfied with your RA purchase email me at support@microgsd.com

Thanks

33. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi meceka,

Road connections in a closed loop is currently an unsupported and undocumented feature. It should work with roads of the same lane widths. This will be a full feature in the next big patch which introduces the connected 3D objects.

34. Meceka

Meceka

Having a single road, and putting last node on the first node also doesn't work. A single road can't be made a loop either.

But if I connect last node to node2 instead of node1, it makes a T intersection and works ok.

35. SGtRumpel

SGtRumpel

Hi there,

I have recently bought your tool and I am impressed by the features. Yet I have some issues:

1. Weird stuff happens when you try to connect a road to itself, be it lastNode to FirstNode or LastNode to any Node. As we are working on a racing-game, it would be important for us to be ale to make a "closed Track" (EasyRoads has a small menu-item providing this funcationality).

2. When you delete a road, the terrain doesn't reset its height - I still have the carvings of the deleted road visible.

3. I understand that you have the Base-Material of the road in world-mapping and the markers in UV-Mapping. I would like to use textures that have already the markers on them, but use an alphachannel to blend with the terrain on the sides. Is it possible to disable the basematerial an only use the UV-Mapped Material? When I select "none" in the base Material, it still will display the texture previous selected.

Thanks,
    SgtRumpel

36. tgentry

tgentry

I am extremely happy with the purchase and I am looking forward to the next update that will enable it to tie with external models. I was just wondering about the traffic since I read it like it was going to be an addon to this. When the other does make it to the asset store you may count on me as another costumer.

37. Meceka

Meceka

In the 3-road intersection, I am explaining the reason it glitches;

If there is a slightest curve in the addition road, spline bends wrongly, causing intersection to glitch.

Here in the picture below, I have drawn the actual spline in red. It turns to left of the screen without any reason. It should behave as in green line. Just because of this every 3 road intersection need lot's of tuning to work. That wrong ending of curve messes up the intersection everytime.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/cwg17plas89oaur/Screenshot 2014-06-30 14.43.01.png

If there is a fast workaround for this, please share. It's causing me a headache to make intersections.

38. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Meceka,

Thank you for the detailed description of the error. I'll let you know if I can figure out what is causing it. It appears that there must be some error on the tangent a couple of meters after the intersection point.

The only possible workaround I can think of for this specific scenario is to move the intersection around slightly and most of the time that will "fix" weird issues like this.

Thanks!

39. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi SgtRumpel,

The closed track system will be supported in the next patch but is not supported in its current state.

#2 I'll add to the issue tracker. For now if you delete all of the nodes except the first one it will deform most of the terrain back to normal.

#3 If you go to "Road#->MainMeshes->RoadMesh->RoadCut#" and change the base materials there it should be persistent throughout road updates after that. You'll have to do it for each road section you want the material. In the next update there will be an option for "none" on the default material and a "custom" option which will do all of this automatically.

If the closed track stuff is unsatisfactory, email me at support@microgsd.com and I'll get it sorted out.

Thanks tgentry, I hope it will be released in 4 months.

40. Meceka

Meceka

Is there a way to divide a road to 2 seperate roads for means of faster modifications? Right now I have a road that's moving all around 2kmX2km , and when I want to modify or fix an intersection, or move road slightly, i have to wait 40 seconds for it to update, and it's really annoying.

Earlier, I've tried to seperate that road on a 4 way intersection, let's say this plus sign is intersection: +

up side of intersection was road1, left and right was road2 and down side was road 3. But as I see, an intersection only supports 2 distinct road at max. It bugged up everything, roads become really badly glitched, it was unrecoverably, ctrl+z didn't work. And I had to load a backup.

Intersection was the only way to divide that road to 2 distinct roads, but it didn't work. Connecting one roads ending to other roads beginning also doesn't work. As there is no option to seperate it, I now have a huge road (it's road3) and every update takes 40 seconds to complete. And it's really a headache for me on intersections. They blow up(you know what I mean) and I just spend 10 minutes tweaking, moving up-down left-right on a single intersection to make it work. Then sometimes another intersection blows up without modifying anything, and another 10 minute wasted.

I hope the next update will make these intersections more usable. And It would be great to have an option to divide a road. It would also work if intersections could have 3 or 4 distinct road connections. It doesn't make sense for all the road to be updated for a slightest modification.

Edit: Closed track is unsatisfactory for me too. Connecting end node to node0 doesn't work, and also side objects become bugged if I do that.

41. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Meceka,

Currently there is no way to divide an existing road into multiple separate roads. How many nodes do you have on the road that is taking 40 seconds to update? Do you have multi-threading enabled? We're running very large road systems (200+ nodes) which don't take too long to update but we have fast processors. The next big update allows updates to occur without updating the road (toggle switch).

Currently you will not be able to connect 3 different roads together at once. You will be able to in the next big update which allows the 3d object connections.

I'll take a look into what it will take to split roads.

The closed track is currently unsupported (road connections) but will be supported with the introduction of the 3d object connections.

42. fred_gds

fred_gds

Hey,

I saw this asset and it is looking amazing. So I have two question left. I read on the first page that you planned to implement european roads and an ai traffic system. So i was wondering whether any of those features where implemented yet.
    And when do you think that the highway-ramp/-exit support will be available?

Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  43. JBR-games

JBR-games

i orginally heard the next big update was planned for end of june, then when that past it was the end of july, is it still on target for that ?
    Really looking forward to a freeway system with the ability to add on and off ramps. I will be buying this asset as soon as that is a reallity, as long as these updates come fairly soon...

44. Leito

Leito

I ran into a little bit of a problem. I was editing the road by moving around some nodes and for some reason the nodes have all disappeared except at the intersections. Selecting the nodes in the inspector and moving them around doesn't cause the road the react to the changes either. Is there any way to get the nodes back and get them working again? I've attached a screen. All the road's Gizmos are checked on.
    GIZMOS.jpg

EDIT: Nvm, it's fixed. I somehow turned off the GSDSplineN gizmo...

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  45. KKS21199

KKS21199

is there a way to make a complete road incase if we are making a racing game ? Like can it complete the road on its own ?

46. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Fred,

The AI traffic system will be released in about 4 months or more. Probably by the end of the year. The highway ramp support will be available on the next big patch which will happen in late August. It's taking a bit longer than expected due to the difficulty.

Hi JBR games,

It is slated for end of August now due to the difficulty of the features requested.

47. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi Leito,

Notice in http://microgsd.com/Support/RoadArchitectManual.aspx#Roadoptions that there is a gizmo checkbox. This is there because some users requested to be able to take screenshots of the system while in the editor.

Hi KKS21199. A self-connected road system is not supported in the current release but will be by the end of August. Right now you can connect roads of the same lane width but you will run into bugs if you try and alter the nodes surrounding the connection.

48. JBR-games

JBR-games

Im disappointed thats the update is still another month away, but i wish you luck on figuring out all the difficulties. Looking forward to seeing results to all your hard work .:)

P.S.
    Any chance that you will have a beta release soon for exsisting customers?
    A slightly buggy version that would allow me to flesh out some areas would make it worth the purchase for me.;)

Last edited: Jul 28, 2014
  49. gungan37

gungan37

Hi MicroGSD!

I bought RA about a month ago and have been impressed by the quality of your asset and strong email support.
    I have just a couple of suggestions:

(1) Speed limit signs--- the only speed limit sign included is 50 MPH. For us non-artists, it would be nice to have a few extra textures to cover other speed limits (e.g. maybe 5 - 85 MPH in multiples of 5)

(2) A beta for existing customers--- I agree with JBR Games's suggestion for a beta version. I understand the difficulty of following a release schedule and agree that you should take the time to make your changes stable rather than rush yourself. With that being said, a lot of us would like at least something to play with =)

50. MicroGSD

MicroGSD

Hi JBR Games,

Right now the road system is not in workable enough format. It would create more bug reports and slow down development, but as soon as possible we can get you a build off of the forked branch.

Hi Gungan37,

I agree, it would be nice to have more sign options in addition to the 338+ signs. I need to find a way to automate this process as I did the 338+ signs from a federal source so the signs are to federal and state specifications.

Same statement as above, we can do the beta as it gets more complete. I believe that it will be worth the wait.

Thanks!