-[Rise of Guardian's]- Legacy Online Entertainment is looking for dedicated members

Discussion in 'Collaboration' started by Legacy, Apr 6, 2012.

1. mattcscz

mattcscz

Hey Efraser, just wanted to drop a post to say I love your work and it's looking really awesome! I wish you best of luck!

2. Legacy

Legacy

Thank you :)

3. Legacy

Legacy

Quick update today:

Last night i decided to switch back to Riak as our database solution as it currently is the only smooth working database solution i have found for unity. When using MS SQL we had to include the System.Data assembly within the plugins folder of the project but it was causing editor crashes constantly and refused to create a working SQLConnection object bare in mind we were using the .net 2.0 assembly as i beleive unity does not support anything past 2.0 currently. I began setting up a Riak Cluster last night and should have it live tonight and will be migrating over our database code to use UGameDB's api. AI is coming along very well, I ran profiler and the AI Engine i have built has a very small footprint but i am noticing that unity's pathfinding takes up alot of resources so i may have to write a custom solution as the crowdmanager was one of the highest cpu consuming tasks.

4. Legacy

Legacy

Todays Update:

Been working on a few things over the course of the last week. Continued development on the AI engine, I have currently hit a snag which is not a major snag but it does cause some unpolished looks. Pretty much the navmesh agent actually takes explicit control over an objects Rotation because it uses this for stearing, Now the issue arises with AI agents that are not necessarily humanoid such as a dragon or a bug monster. What happens is the navmesh agent does not support aligning with the surface it is on (referred to as the surface normal) which causes agents that are not of a human shape to look odd when they move up slopes such that the front of the body goes through the surface and the back part seems to float. I do not know at this point in time if unity plans to fix this as it is pretty important to have all sorts of ai be able to navigate up and down slopes without looking odd. Unfortunately because the navmesh agent uses the rotation to steer the only way to align the object with the surface normal is to stop the navmesh agents control over rotation and write a custom steering system to steer the agent and align it with the surface normal at the same time. This feature will not be ready by the AI Preview release so keep that in mind please. Other than that the AI engine has a very small footprint and works very well at the moment we are just touching up some areas to feel a bit more realistic.

I have also been busy working on moving things back over to RIAK, i currently do have a node setup and am setting up 2 other nodes for a full sandbox simulation of what to expect when dealing with multiple connections to a distributed database cluster. I have been halting work on the login lobby and character selection and creation system because of lack of 2d artists to create UI elements so i decided to say screw it since we use NGUI and can add/remove/update sprites on the fly in an atlas that i will just create some simple beveled UI elements to put the ui together with so hopefully that will be finished soon.

5. Avanger

Avanger

man but what you have done?
    your projectis only a lot of assets from Dexsoft , arteria etc...
    and use script for other assets found on asset store exemple Unistorm , character Controller etc

you only buy this assets and put it togeter how you made an MMO with doing nothing all you made is for local system worck and not an MMO

6. khanstruct

khanstruct

Farmville was built almost entirely from pre-existing code. The asset store is there for people to purchase and use assets built by members of the community. It doesn't make much sense to criticize someone for using the tools available to them rather than re-inventing the wheel.

7. Avanger

Avanger

is not an offese but where will be the fun to made a game so you use all prepared and going to modify it

8. Prion Games

Prion Games

Well assets that are available to you that only need few modifications or adjustments is hell of a lot better then coding or making it all yourself.

This is specially true for an MMO. Most codes and assets can only be made different a certain amount of times before more than likely you end up copying someone. Look at game ideas, MMORPG styles, company names, etc. It is very hard to be fully or even partial unique as the game industry is booming, which means more people remaking and making new resources and ideas that will over shadow or collide with others.

So if you want to make this bad ass and unique code, chances are is had already been made or at the very least a basis for it.

9. Legacy

Legacy

Have you not been reading the update posts? I have been writing server logic, the AI Engine, the Zone Engine, the Item and Inventory system, the spell book system and much more. The ONLY things that i have not written are the dynamic weather and obviously NGUI which is the ui engine were using and the character controller. Please dont post pointless things on this thread, i have already stated that i am no artist i have payed for all of my art assets and should be allowed to use them as place holders. Seriously i have no idea where people get that its wrong to buy art assets? How do you expect people to build a game and get funding with no art assets?

Last edited: May 15, 2012
  10. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

He's been programming, which I can tell even though I haven't been following.

11. bucco

bucco

Hey looks cool so far :)

Looking forward to a demo (can you make a mac version? :p)

12. Legacy

Legacy

Thanks, We will be developing this for pc and hope to support mac as well down the road obviously before release.

13. Legacy

Legacy

Some new stuff as of late, it has been a very busy month this month with some family things and it didn't help losing my job but development has still been going steady. Here is some new screenshots of the login screen in progress(there is a ton more to do but i just felt like i should share):

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

I'm not sure if anyone has said this, but the title makes no sense.

Rise of Guardian's... guardian's what? The 's signifies that the Guardian owns something, but what does he own.

I think you mean Rise of Guardians. The lack of 's means that guardian is a plural, hence, multiple guardians.

I'm not trolling here, I'm serious. People will actually get pissed over that.

15. Legacy

Legacy

Guardian's are actually the players, if you read the short story excerpt on the first page it goes through some of the story line behind the rise of guardian's i had not realized that it would cause discrepency i will ask a mod to change the title.

16. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

I'm not trolling being mean etc just a quick heads up before there any troubles with others but DreamWorks is making a movie with this title http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rise_of_the_Guardians

so might get some issues again just a heads up but landscape looks great

17. andorov

andorov

That phrase is grammatically incorrect. It should be "Guardians are actually the players..." You're using the apostrophe incorrectly. Not a big deal, but I think that's what Lukasaurus was referring to.

18. Legacy

Legacy

Yup i gotta have the mods change it i didnt realize it sounded wierd sorry about that.

I know haha they announced the movie the same day i named the game but not sure how much of an issue it will cause as technically the names are not the same the game is Rise of Guardians and the movie is Rise of The Guardians and is completely different from what this game is about haha, it is a childrens movie. But if anyone has any suggestions i am all ears :).

19. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

lol if you change it keep well away from my name its all ready close enough (until it upgrades to part 2 in its saga)lol

20. Legacy

Legacy

Here are some more images. As for right now we will continue to use our current name for the title, if an issue arises we will have no problem altering the title a bit as we have a few others set in mind. I cannot forsee any problems currently as it is not technically the same name as the disney childrens movie.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Legacy

Legacy

Oops forgot that i had forgotten to mention i have updated some of the website links and images etc as on of our team members is still working on the new layout.

22. khanstruct

khanstruct

White Wolf Studios have a sci-fi game called Trinity. It was originally titled "Aeon" but they were sued by the owners of Aeon Flux. The names weren't identical, and the concepts were nothing alike, but White Wolf lost the case and had to change the name.

I also know the feeling. A project I was working on was called Nexus. Then I discovered there was a game called Nexus: Kingdom of the Winds. I had to change the name of my game (which is now called X-Shift, by the way). Good luck!

23. Legacy

Legacy

That is a good point and thank you for the input. If we need to change the name it is not a major issue.

New images for an area im putting together to finally make the AI Video i promised:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

24. lukasaurus

lukasaurus

Terrain is quite nice, but the texturing needs a bit of work. Consider adding in some mountain/rock meshes to compliment the nice heightmap.

25. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Try adding the same textures using a different size as well. Makes a big difference and helps you avoid the terrain patterns you see where its repeating.

26. Legacy

Legacy

yup i will be adding some meshes for mountains and rocks later on once i get things planned out and yes i will also be adding in new textures and changing the texture sizes to match accordingly toget rid of any repetition, unfortunately you cannot completely get rid of repetition, its even visible in games like world of warcraft where they have top artists designing the areas.