Search Unity

Rigify to Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Dantus, May 27, 2011.

1. Dantus

Dantus

Sorry, you got me wrong, that was meant to be ironic :)

The whole topic is really not that simple. Your approach makes absolutely sense and you presented it in an appropriate way. Hopefully you have more to show in the future!

2. Dantus

Dantus

This addon creates rigs that are NOT compatible with Mecanim at the moment, except it you take an indirect way as we pointed out in the previous posts. Beside that I am not the developer of Rigify. What I created was Rigify to Unity, which helps you to automatically remove unnecessary bones. Maybe I just got you wrong and you are already aware of that.

The renaming of bones may be a little tricky, though not impossible, but there would be impractical barriers with the import into Unity. Extra bones are in general not a big deal with Rigify. You can just add them.

Honestly, I never tried to somehow make an existing character use Rigify and trying to preserve the existing bone naming structure. The easiest way to get a good answer is by trying it out.

3. Dantus

Dantus

Added a link to the very first post that explains that Rigify can be used in combination with Mecanim.

4. j0hnbane

j0hnbane

Thank you for taking time to post this video.

5. Dantus

Dantus

I am glad you like it.

6. Dantus

Dantus

I would like to inform anyone that Rigify to Unity is going to be removed from the Asset Store.

7. RUBILYN

RUBILYN

HI ! For the "Indies Community Spirit" Sake :
    I Just made this 5 Stars Review Bellow At This Free Product in Assets Store :
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/735

"Deeply Amazing Script !

We all hope this script is NOT Removed from assets store ..
    Like other Free Scripts Of this Author .

This is quite usefull for Working in Teams ( wich beying free helps destribution )

Its QUite a Bummer when we use Free scripts like this With Coleagues Then Sudently they become comercial or Are Removed from Assets Store ( for the shame of only god knows why ) ...

A thing that is first Given and granted for free Should Not Be Althered in its state !

That to say that we would also love to have older scripts ( as Free cloud system ) and Other Free Systems from same author BACK to Assets Store please !

The More Free Assets in Assets Store - Will atrackt more people And therefore - THE More Rich the Indie Ecosystem and overall Store Will be for all us !

IN THE NAME OF ALL STARVING INDIES ! THANK YOU DEEPLY SO MUCH !"

8. Dantus

Dantus

Let me first thank you for the very kind words. It was indeed and still is one of my goals to help the indie community with the free assets. The Asset Store turned out to be the wrong place for my freely available packages which is very unfortunate. I haven't made a decision yet what the future of those packages should be.

The Unity Asset Store isn't an option for me anymore when it comes to freely available assets. I only use it for the commercial packages because I don't want to handle the payment on my own.
    My assumption is that they are heavily underpowered and don't even have the time to think about any package that is not a huge success and when it comes to freely available ones, there is no chance of being heard at all. The whole Asset Store perfectly suites the publishers with a huge following, either the ones who have a really popular package or the ones that have lots of fanboys.
    The longer my freely available packages were in the store, the more the reviews started to diverge. When there is mostly one and five star ratings, something must be wrong with a package or some information must be missing. Getting that information is literally impossible. Getting in touch with the people who write one star reviews is not possible, they don't even get notifications when publishers write answers in the review section. There is also no way for me to find out how many people gave which rating, which would be a quite useful information. It is possible to report stupid one star reviews and those might be removed, but the rating will stay there. In my opinion anyone who gives less than four stars for a freely available asset should be forced to write a meaningful review.
    I contacted the Asset Store guys a few times about those issues I am having and they told me to post the idea on the feedback page. My reply was that I am already aware of the outcome, because not having thousands of customers and follower will not end up being successful (http://feedback.unity3d.com/suggestions/improve-feedback-for-free-packages-asset-store). They could have given me a direct link to they trash folder, it would have led to the same result.

Long story short: I don't like it, I can't change it, good bye.

RUBILYN likes this.
  9. RUBILYN

RUBILYN

@Dantus

Hi there ! Dear Dantus !
    Thanks so much for your cute and honest reply !

( First of all im sory for my engrish Im a Native oriental ) ...

Im a Big Fan yours and of your products ! Since like 3 or 4 years ago ...
    And let me say that i just got in touch with your line of products one day because i was hunting for freebies and then iv found your free cloud system, ( Some years ago, in your older official site , after a google search ) and got hooked , That much before iv found you in assets store ...

So let-me see if i can understand the deeper of "the problem" and i can help somehow ..

1 - As far as i understood / As fact : The overall problem of Your Free Assets / Are 1 or other 2 "non pro" people that actually "dont understand at all how to use your free product" / then as the product is free and everyone can leave a Review / They leave a Bad review / and that Affects you as Merchant / because your Stars Ratting "as merchant" comes down ... And you get "lower quotations" in the assets store "stock market" / In a Word : People see "so many Bad reviews" in the free product and actually that might stop them to buy the "Pro" ...

2 - Other fact: As far i understood, People Just "hit download and run" with your free product, without caring for support, or feedback, wich is frustating / and other times very time wasting to solve problems with those people that are basicaly "bitching negative", leave a "1 star", make a "1 bad review" , just to "hurt your business" and dont even care for support, or "how to use / debug / help improve" the free product at all ...

3 - As Third fact: Assets Store developers & managers got better to do / Maibe have toons and millions reports & problems / And as they are few people working for many millions : They might have "orders from above" to just deal with more priority cases that afect "merchants that make more money" .... leaving the "minor money" cases as in the case of problems with "free assets" completly unsolved ....
    Assets Store developers "code developers" that do the management of better systems are actually "non existent" or "we just dont see their work" as there is no "roadmap" or More active "Features beying developed" by merchants needs and request .... So assets store "In code & features structure" is old and rusty, and its development with new features slow or inexistent ??

4 - Is that all ? .... Might be there some others ...

Im actually a Product Manager at A3D studio that will have some assets in the store soon...
    So its quite of my job to find "Solutions" to this kind of questions ... as above ...

Anyway as fast reply , and help to solve "all this and more problems" ...

I have to say that Sometimes ( or most of times "in Live itself" ) The best solutions are the ones that we can Have Creatively all power to manage ... and are in those that we should put more Value ... and is what you can manage totally that will give more value into our work ...
    Sometimes not the fact of "us bitching endlessly" against the system of a "Bigger group" that will "help us anyway" ( Cause will just get us with the "Grumpy" Reputation Instead , Which will make us at some point to start becoming ignored ... if we force those "our problems" too much on others ... ) .
    The Solution is Always to "make our own Platforms" and Use The Bigger to Boost our Little...

That is About Life Itself, and on the Assets Store or Any Community or Market Works in the same way ...

Best Solutions for all this is Usual Sintetise What are the problems in "Others" platforms exactly , Then Get Creative with Smart Workarounds "on our own Platforms " Were we have total control and really can grow : So Lets see...

- Well my advice is Just Relax And Dont Care About Whatsoever problems ( so they dont become bigger )
    - - And its Like ( on my Humble point of view ) :
    - - - "Whatever !! If there are bad Reviews on Asset Store by some "Ignorant user" / the merchant just have to make a smart Reply to The Review "showing everyone how ignorant that user is" ... So that Ends with the problem 1 .
    - Advertising and making contests inciting for people to make Reviews with some kind of Reward , also Works ( if that thing of reviews and ratting is that much important ...
    - - Constantly updating assets with new features or even Asking users to "contribute to the code" opening a GitHub Account or even opening at your Site a Official forum for user contributions on that asset also helps ..
    - - - A cool Example of success is the case of LUX https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/16000
    - - - - It have a GitHub : So users Contribute to its Evolution ... Because also the Developer potentiality boost that ...
    - - - - - And that Asset ( as well Free Assets ) of this merchant http://goo.gl/Y28l6s / are the free assets as well constant updates even on the free development that makes him so famous and have so much positive interaction with the community ...

- That Bigger problem Itself might be a Great Solution !
    - - If Merchants Don't have what they need out of The Assets Store Platform ... They can and Should Conjugate it with "their own site Sales Platform" ...
    - One of the Bigger examples and case Studies Here is DEXSOFT ! https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/publisher/15
    - - They are using Assets Store / and actually ( out of hundreds ) they dont have a Single model that is free ( lol ) So they don't contribute ... But they also have Constantly Huge "Crazy Sales" They do at Their own Store http://dexsoft-games.com ...
    - The fact is that this days , if you have a Paypall account and Host space and a Simple Wordpress Site you can do easily a Store On your own Site / Beside your store at assets store / and Serve There "promotions" , on "product variants" Like DexSoft Does and Pretty Successfully Well ... ​

In This Case on Your Specific Situation . Dear Mister Dantus : I would Advice.
    - - - And Serve Those Freebies Tru Your Site "as free Products"
    - - - - ( that means People must register your Site Community "as customers" to make Downloads" )
    - - - - - You can Take this Solution further by making a "Support Forum" at your Site connected to the store ... And Serve There The Free Downloads And From time to time Upload there Other "FreeBies" / In Attachment ( so Only people That is Registered at your Site Store / Forums Have access to them / The Official Support Forums Trick With The Free Downloads there only for registered users is important as is - What will make a Better 1o1 Interaction with your Community of Customers and users ...
    - In this Model of Web Merchandising you use therefore The Assets Store to Boost The Advertising of your Site / and The Building of a More Stable and Stronger "your own web community" out of your own "Products Store" ...
    - - You can Even Invite other Merchants Friends That Have Assets to Sale to Sell there also at "Your Site asset Store" ... ( And the More Freebies You put there the More People and Success that Site Sales will have Im sure ... )​

---

Im Sure if you Dig in this Ideas : 0) Remodel your site so looks as professional web store. 1) Make Your Site Forums. 2) Have Your Site Proper Paypall Store Even with simple "buy now buttons". http://goo.gl/AgSqby 3) Using AssetStore as Marketing Advertising Tool ( by having freebies or promotions that direct from assets store to your site ) ... 4) Using Github to Engage other developers to Improve further your Free Tools ... Etc ...

All this Ideas and some more you can have applied , will make your Sales and rattings Rise Above ...

And ( If you bare and manage the 1 star silly rattings ) Sometimes you can Also Use your Many Freebies you Publish At Assets Store / as Powerful Advertising Tool Ally ( ... for Basically Announce for free Whatever you want to the world ! )

This are Just Some Thoughts And Solutions contributions from a Humble Product Manager and Online Sales Adviser.

Hope it Helps somehow . Thanks so much for listening ! All best Good Luck !

Kyo Chun
    KYON Studio
    A3D Team Market Adv.

10. Dantus

Dantus

It is basically the first two that are really annoying if it comes to free assets. That in combination with absolutely no information about who is giving you ratings or at least an overview about the amount of people who are giving reviews.

My assets are in the asset store because I don't want to have my own platform as it will lead to a huge amount of additional work. In my opinion the asset store doesn't work for free assets, that's why I only need to find an alternative for that.
    Sharing the project though GitHub would only work for Rigify to Unity as it is the only open source package I have. This project is basically done and as such a repository would not make sense in my opinion.

Thanks for your ideas.

11. RUBILYN

RUBILYN

@Dantus

Thanks so much for your Answer And Kindness.

If you think With Happiness, you will be happy !

You Still can Have The Free Assets Delivered at your Site As was before ( you just need to want ) ...

To implement the "buy now" buttons with paypall http://goo.gl/AgSqby Is Reaaly not that dificult takes 5 minuts ...
    The User Foruns is a thing of more 5 minuts http://goo.gl/XFDRBO ...

You Also have www.CgTrader.Com ...
    Our Team will be using it as Secondarily "Indies" & Freebies Store ..
    They are revolutionary and even have a "pay what you want" feature .. ^^

You Should try it one of this days !

Or you can Make a Deal and Sell at Dexsoft Store ...
    3dmodels-textures.com

When you do not limit yourself and others !
    The Sky And the clouds Are not the Limits !

In anyway Thanks so much !

Have a Wounderfull best SunDay ! <3

KYO

Last edited: Nov 2, 2014
  12. Dantus

Dantus

This will most likely be what I will do in the future.

The installation time is usually not what takes time. There are a lot of important factors to consider like maintainability, spamming, security and the overall management time it takes. It is not about being negative, it is about being realistic :)

RUBILYN likes this.
  13. Elzbach

Elzbach

Hello! I've run into a small problem in blender. When I am fitting the hand bones into my model, the dotted lines connecting the fingers to the palm (I'm not sure what they are called) disappeared. This seems to be causing problems when I click on Generate later. Is it a parenting issue? How do I fix it? My hand looks like this:

Attached Files:

14. Dantus

Dantus

If you select the individual bones in edit mode, you should be able to set the parent in the panel:
    http://www.blender.org/manual/rigging/armatures/panels.html#bone-panels-overview

I am sure there is a short-cut for it, but I couldn't find it. Another possibility is that the parenting relation is just not show anymore, because you somehow deactivated it. In that case you should be able to find an option somewhere to display it again.

Hope this helps

15. Elzbach

Elzbach

That helps a lot. Thanks!

16. AbandonedCart

AbandonedCart

Have you ever purchased a "buy one, get one free" item and evaluated one differently simply because it was free? I highly doubt it. The same goes for a free asset on a store. It is a store. Most do not consider that the item was free in their evaluation, but you will reach a larger audience because it does not require a credit card. This includes inexperienced users that may have trouble following the instructions, ignorant users that feel every script should operate perfectly without need for interaction, and children that are downloading for no other reason than being able to click download. Each of them may run into an issue, and the typical response to an issue is to claim the product is inadequate. For every one person that writes one of these (often insulting) reviews, at least five downloaded the same product and found it incredibly useful but forgot, haven't had time, or never even considered writing a review. They may or may not operate under the same belief that you only "need" to write reviews when there is an issue.

This is reality. You cannot change it and removing your product will only make you look like the bad guy. The best you can do is put up a disclaimer that reviews provide no means for technical support, then keep flagging the inappropriate ones and thanking the grateful ones. If you pack up and go home, who benefits? You wasted your effort, the people you helped no longer exist, and all of this because you didn't sell more copies of a free product...

The point is that posting how you intend to remove the package ends up making you look bad. I believe the old saying goes "don't bring yourself down to their level" but with the package still up, I am hoping you realized that already.

17. Dantus

Dantus

@LoungeKatt, removing it makes my life easier. That's why I still plan to do it. At the moment it is just an experiment for me.
    The Asset Store is great for commercial products in my opinion, but it doesn't work well for free ones. I still believe this could be improve and I have made a suggestion, but no one cares about it. I am by far not the only publisher in the Asset Store with that opinion.
    At the end of the day I don't care what anyone thinks if I remove it from the Asset Store. If it makes me feel better, it is going to be worth it.
    I started to actually sell new assets that I would have given out for free previously. Believe it or not, it is far more comfortable for me.

18. soniccat

soniccat

19. Dantus

Dantus

Welcome to the forums!

That looks interesting! Contrary to what Unity has done in their official "tutorial", your workflow seems to be non destructive which is essential in my opinion. It looks promising!
    The last time I checked it, I couldn't overcome some issues with the feet and legs that they were not properly connected for the use in Mecanim. Does this problem exist with your solution?
    I am also interested to hear whether you are using the DEF bones for weight painting or the ORG bones.

20. soniccat

soniccat

Thanks)
    Actually I didn't have problems with playing animation for a model in Unity after just importing fbx file without any bones removing. There was a problem only with Unity performance in Mac OS.
    My model doesn't have foots, only thighs and shins and I just connected ORG bones while mapping (ORG-shin, ORG-thigh). I had to load my robotMapping.ht file to map bones with body parts because Unity made it wrong. It connected some parts with DEF bones.
    In Blender In my model I didn't change the default behavior of weight painting. I had only DEF vertext groups. Connecting only ORG bones in Unity I expected that there would be problems but I didn't get them.
    If you have time you can try RigifyExample.unitypackage I attached in the article.

Dantus likes this.
  21. SpAiK

SpAiK

Hi, I'm testing this addon and it's great! Just to know, does it also work with fbx files exported from Blender? I ask this because I have the same scene exported as fbx and as blend and I only get bones removed from the blend file.

22. Dantus

Dantus

Rigify to Unity checks all models whether they end with "rigify" or whatever else you have specified in the settings and if that is the case it starts to remove the bones, otherwise nothing is done. Did you make sure this is the case?

23. SpAiK

SpAiK

As you can see in the attached image, the first model is the blend file at it has fewer bones than the second one that is the fbx one. But it still removes all the WGTs from the fbx.

Attached Files:

24. Dantus

Dantus

Can you post the files here or send them by mail?

25. SpAiK

SpAiK

I'm sorry but that's not possible as this is an ongoing project. Anyway I'm having some weirdness if I change the rig to Humanoid, there are parts of the model that won't deform as if they were not skinned. I think some bones are missing, I can see DEF-upper_arm.02.L but not DEF-upper_arm.01.L, same thing with thighs and the right side ones.

Edit: I found them, they're there but are moved from its normal position and so the skin with them in a weird way.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
  26. darkbatu21

darkbatu21

hi sorry if i get late i am use the rigify and i have so much problems with extra bones >.<

27. AndreBengtsson

AndreBengtsson

Hi! Great add-on!

I have imported my model with animations into unity and it worked fine. I tried adding another animation and overwrote the old file and it updated the animations in unity without problems. But suddenly it doesn't work. I made another animation and added another prop to the model's hand and overwrote the old file again, but this time only the new prop gets imported. The new animations doesn't get imported :/ I imported the file as a new model and that works, but not when I just overwrite the old file. I want to be able to simply overwrite so I don't have to redo the animator when I adjust an animation. Do you have any idea why this is happening? Thanks in advance!

28. deuxieme

deuxieme

Does this addon work in 2018? Have you tested with latest Blender/Unity versions? I really need a solution like this but I notice the last uploaded version is from 2013.

29. giantkilleroverunity3d

giantkilleroverunity3d

This process adds so much than the Unity internal attempt(animation Rigging). This uses a whole body attempt whereas from what I gathered is in Unity you have so much more effort and joint adding to go through.