Search Unity

results->dynamicBounds.empty() error

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by SunnySunshine, May 11, 2015.

1. SunnySunshine

SunnySunshine

Been getting this every now and again for the past time. Anyone know what it means and how it can be fixed?

No more information is specified when clicking the message.

This information can be found when checking the editor log file:

Code (CSharp):
    1. results->dynamicBounds.empty()
    2. (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Camera/ShadowCulling.cpp Line: 617)

2. makel

makel

Same error here. Sometimes Unity crashes after that.

3. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

We're also experiencing this with no crash log in the editor with version 5.2.3f1.

4. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

I'm having the same error here! Unity crashes instantly with the error log: results->dynamicBounds.empty()
    Looks like the error appears randomly after the game is running sometimes after 20 minutes sometimes after 5 minutes.... Happens also in a standalone build.
    I'm using Unity 5.2 maybe this is a known bug?

Log:
    -----
    results->dynamicBounds.empty()
    (Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Camera/ShadowCulling.cpp Line: 616)
    Crash!!!

5. Bamoose

Bamoose

I am also having the same issue. If anyone has a solution I can try, please let me know. Unity crashing after a few minutes of runtime is destroying my productivity. It doesn't seem to be tied to anything in particular that I do other than the editor is currently in play mode. I can start play mode and walk away, when i come back 5 min later i'll be looking at a crash submit form. Other times I will be actively debugging an animation and poof, the same error.

- The error.log notes:

Unity.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module Unity.exe at 0033:400de986.

Error occurred at 2016-01-06_173018.
    C:\Program Files\Unity\Editor\Unity.exe, run by Dumoose.
    57% memory in use.
    4095 MB physical memory [1728 MB free].
    8188 MB paging file [4458 MB free].
    8388608 MB user address space [8386456 MB free].
    Read from location 00000380 caused an access violation.

- The editor.log:

results->dynamicBounds.empty()

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/Runtime/Camera/ShadowCulling.cpp Line: 599)

Crash!!!

6. jerotas

jerotas

Some kind of Unity core error. We have to wait for Unity to fix it. File crash reports, all of you please!

7. KyleOlsen

KyleOlsen

This is no longer a problem for us in 5.3.1p1 (can't speak for 5.3.1 because we skipped it).

8. LockyStrike

LockyStrike

Hi! Still trying to find out what the reason of this error...
    Same error log:
    Unity.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005) in module Unity.exe
    Log from unity editor: results->dynamicBounds.empty()
    After this message shows (results->dynamicBounds.empty()), Unity crashes 1-2 seconds after that.
    Tested on versions: 5.1.1f1, 5.2.2f1, 5.2.4f1,5.3.0f4,5.3.1f1 and latest 5.3.1p3.
    Game is 3D action, so it's using terrain, unity trees, physics etc.
    What can be reason of this error? What should i do to avoid it? 3 weeks spent to find out what's the reason. :( It happens randomly from 2 to 15 minutes in editor and it seems to be a reason of crashes on mobile devices. Does anybody know something about it?

9. karl_jones

karl_jones

Unity Technologies

Soooooo did anyone file a bug report?

10. chuanyuer

chuanyuer

Maybe UI received a directional light, should not Use directional light to illuminate UI.Because some are too small and the direction of the problem leads to a shadow of 0.

11. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

is this bug still alive in the latest Unity 5.3.4? I really hope Unity fixed it.
    I didn't updated my project so I can't test with the latest Unity version and i can't reproduce it in an empty project.

12. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

unfortunately this bug is still existent in Unity 5.3.4
    @karl.jones I have submitted a bug report: Case 783827

13. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

So I've played with the latest Unity 5.3.4, and as soon as the Build crashes there's a Message coming up, something like: Oops the game has crashed, the funny thing is that, as long as I don't click OK on the popup the game still runs fine without crash, and I can play it normally. While in Unity 5.2.X it crashes immediately.

Stack trace Output.log:
    0x01362B5C (Game) [c:\buildslave\unity\build\runtime\camera\shadowculling.cpp:602] GenerateCombinedDynamicVisibleListJob
    0x013C4B7B (Game) [c:\buildslave\unity\build\runtime\jobs\internal\jobqueue.cpp:345] JobQueue::Exec
    0x013C4CE1 (Game) [c:\buildslave\unity\build\runtime\jobs\internal\jobqueue.cpp:717] JobQueue::processJobs
    0x015640ED (Game) [c:\buildslave\unity\build\runtime\threads\thread.cpp:40] Thread::RunThreadWrapper
    0x7674338A (kernel32) BaseThreadInitThunk
    0x77259A02 (ntdll) RtlInitializeExceptionChain

and from the error.log:
    Game.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module Game.exe at 0023:01362b5c.

Error occurred at 2016-03-30_190454.

62% memory in use.
    0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
    0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
    0 MB user address space [1768 MB free].
    Read from location 00000340 caused an access violation.

Context:
    EDI: 0x15ed6c70 ESI: 0x165705d0 EAX: 0x000002f0
    EBX: 0x03ab36ac ECX: 0x00000000 EDX: 0x0043f5cc
    EIP: 0x01362b5c EBP: 0x087df888 SegCs: 0x00000023
    EFlags: 0x00010202 ESP: 0x087df87c SegSs: 0x0000002b

Bytes at CS:EIP:
    8b 81 40 03 00 00 e8 f9 fd ff ff 83 c4 0c 5d c3

14. bardia68

bardia68

Hi guys, I had the same problem (Editor crash and "Forced Close" for mobile devices). I am using NGUI for my game. The problem seems to be solved by moving all NGUI GameObjects into "UI" Layer and turning off "UI" layer from my light's culling mask.
    Hope this works for you too...

Attached Files:

15. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

@bardia68 Ok I guess I owe you a beer! :)
    I'm still testing it (Unity 5.2.4), but as for now it looks pretty good and I think that actually fixed the bug!

Some more details:
    - Turning off shadows in the quality settings has no effect regarding the bug, unity still crashes.
    - Turning off shadows on all lights in the scene, no crashes anymore - which is weird because turning them off in the quality settings had no effect.
    -̶ ̶̶r̶̶e̶̶m̶̶o̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶a̶̶y̶̶e̶̶r̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶r̶̶o̶̶m̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶l̶̶i̶̶g̶̶h̶̶t̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶u̶̶l̶̶l̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶m̶̶a̶̶s̶̶k̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶a̶̶r̶̶d̶̶i̶̶a̶̶6̶̶8̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶u̶̶g̶̶g̶̶e̶̶s̶̶t̶̶e̶̶d̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶u̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶g̶̶o̶̶n̶̶e̶̶!̶

̶s̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶o̶̶m̶̶e̶̶t̶̶h̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶e̶̶i̶̶r̶̶d̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶p̶̶p̶̶e̶̶n̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶i̶̶t̶̶h̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶h̶̶a̶̶d̶̶o̶̶w̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶o̶̶m̶̶b̶̶i̶̶n̶̶a̶̶t̶̶i̶̶o̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶w̶̶i̶̶t̶̶h̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶i̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶n̶̶o̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶s̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶a̶̶n̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶f̶̶a̶̶n̶̶c̶̶y̶̶ ̶̶u̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶h̶̶a̶̶d̶̶e̶̶r̶̶s̶̶,̶̶ ̶̶j̶̶u̶̶s̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶h̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶d̶̶e̶̶f̶̶a̶̶u̶̶l̶̶t̶̶ ̶̶o̶̶n̶̶e̶̶s̶̶.̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶ ̶̶h̶̶a̶̶v̶̶e̶̶ ̶̶t̶̶w̶̶o̶̶ ̶̶c̶̶a̶̶n̶̶v̶̶a̶̶s̶̶e̶̶s̶̶ ̶̶b̶̶o̶̶t̶̶h̶̶ ̶̶r̶̶e̶̶n̶̶d̶̶e̶̶r̶̶i̶̶n̶̶g̶̶ ̶̶i̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶c̶̶r̶̶e̶̶e̶̶n̶̶ ̶̶s̶̶p̶̶a̶̶c̶̶e̶̶ ̶-̶ ̶̶o̶̶v̶̶e̶̶r̶̶l̶̶a̶̶y̶̶.̶

edit: it's still crashing....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2016
  16. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

*sigh* looks like I was happy to early, had some more time again to test, and it is still crashing! :(

17. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I'm getting this error as well. It crashes every time I run the game, sometimes after a few seconds, sometimes after a few minutes. I'm sure it's related to Static Lightmap baking, because I did that for the first time today, and even after clearing the baked data the problem persists.

18. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

I tried searching for this case in the Issue Tracker, but nothing came up for this number. Do you know if it was dealt with? Or have you managed to find a fix? The only thing that seems to fix it is turning of shadows from the directional light. Thanks.

19. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

@jonfinlay No, Unity didn't fixed anything related to this bug. I'm currently trying to make a new project where this bug can be reproduced for Unity but as for now I had no luck and also no time.
    Here's the bug report: https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?783827_rupm1p1sihrt8acv

I didn't tried it with static lightmap baking, will have a look at it.

Please fill out a bug report too, you can refer to this thread and to the bug report Case: 783827
    If you have a project where Unity can reproduce this bug then upload it as well.

20. GiantGrey

GiantGrey

@jonfinlay have you got any success reproducing the bug?

I just got an email from Unity you can read it in the bug report
    https://fogbugz.unity3d.com/default.asp?783827_rupm1p1sihrt8acv

I'm still trying to create a repro project but as for now it just won't crash.... Unfortunately it is also very time consuming and I can't sacrifice more time for it.
    One interesting thing is, that in my case if I create a new scene inside of my crashing project and i add the same light with shadows and build it, it does not crash. -> So I assume there must be something very specific in the other scene which causes the crash and it is not project dependent.
    So next thing I wan't to try is to test it with additive scene loading, asset bundle loading, skinned meshes.....

21. jonfinlay

jonfinlay

In fact the problem seemed to have fixed itself (touch wood!). It happened consistently for almost two days, then stopped. I may have changed something without noticing, but I don't believe I did because I spent a whole day checking and testing everything. I suspect it's an error deeply embedded in Unity, which is why it proves so difficult for us to reproduce it. I don't really have the technical know-how to even begin to imagine what is causing it, but perhaps if you continue working on your game as normal with the shadows off (which works) then perhaps it will fix itself for you as well, or Unity discovers what the problem is.

Just for the record, it happened a few days after I bought Amplify Bloom, and the problem seemed to occur more the lower I decreased the threshold.

22. jtate5

jtate5

We are having similar crashes in our game as well. Has anyone discovered a fix for this? Most of our crashes have a stack trace like this:

> SetupShadowCullData(class Camera &,class Vector3f const &,struct ShaderReplaceData const &,struct SceneCullingParameters const *,struct ShadowCullData &) Unknown
    GenerateCombinedDynamicVisibleListJob(struct CullResults *) Unknown
    JobQueue::Exec(struct JobInfo *,__int64,int) Unknown
    JobQueue::processJobs(void *,bool *) Unknown
    JobQueue::WorkLoop(void *) Unknown
    Thread::RunThreadWrapper(void *) Unknown
    kernel32.dll!BaseThreadInitThunk() Unknown
    ntdll.dll!RtlUserThreadStart() Unknown

23. digglesbee

digglesbee

Good news! I seem to have discovered a solution to this. So after wrestling with this for a few days, the error results->dynamicBounds.empty() inside [c:\buildslave\unity\build\runtime\camera\shadowculling.cpp] pointed me to look into Umbra and how I'm using the system.

Turns out I wasn't, in the application I'm working on, we have no need for occlusion culling, so there are no bakes or occlusion areas. Then it clicked, empty dynamic bounds as an error, we don't use occlusion culling (purposefully), so I did some searching I what do you know I have several cameras that may or may not have occlusion culling active. Once I disabled occlusion culling across all the cameras, I have yet to see this error, on multiple machines and devices

TLDR; If you have not specifically set up to use occlusion culling, by baking out occlusion areas, try toggling off the "Occlusion culling" option on your cameras.

Shrikky23 and jonfinlay like this.
  24. hzz

hzz

I set all my gameobject inactive,but still crash.so i create new scene,copy all my things to new one,just Ok. hope can help .

25. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

Having the same issue. But for me it only seems to happen when I am running two copies of the game on the same machine. I am going to disable Occlusion culling as per @digglesbee suggestion and see if that fixes the problem. I had tried using Occlusion culling for the first time and that's when the error started happening.

26. Harryw007

Harryw007

I'm having the same issue but with my crash report, it says I have no RAM! I'll show you some of the crash reports:

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.4.0f3_a6d8d714de6f]

KERNELBASE.dll caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
    in module KERNELBASE.dll at 0023:7599a6f2.

Error occurred at 2016-12-04_091738.
    C:\Users\HarryW\Desktop\Ravenfield_B4_Win\Ravenfield\ravenfield.exe, run by HarryW.
    28% memory in use.
    0 MB physical memory [0 MB free].
    0 MB paging file [0 MB free].
    0 MB user address space [3941 MB free].

I wonder if there is a fix

27. Chrisdbhr

Chrisdbhr

Same problem here, I sending a bug report now. I have some script changing the shadow cast type of some objects, when a players is behind it, it will "cast shadows only", if not, it will show normal shadows, maybe it's some render error dunno
    upload_2017-2-25_2-30-56.png

28. 8bitgoose

8bitgoose

The occlusion was the culprit . As soon as I disabled that, ran fine. Hasn't crashed once since then randomly. Probably an issue where a space should have something according to the bake but doesn't and then Unity freaks out.

Chrisdbhr likes this.