Search Unity

REQUEST: Unity Serial Input AND Output (read and write) tutorials with a hint on Arduino.

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Rickmc3280, May 25, 2015.

1. Rickmc3280

Rickmc3280

Does anyone know of any sources for tutorials that go into detail about Serial communication, how it all works and more importantly is tied in with GetComponent that way I can manipulate variables in one locations, change the variable data in another script and further have that data sent to the arduino.

I've literally watched 40+ videos trying to pick the pieces apart but just cant seem to find it or any classes that teach it. There was one tutorial which was explained so amazingly, but his computer kept crashing so he cut that section out... and moved onto the next one (blue balls in the coder/learner world right?).

OR Does anyone know enough about it to make a tutorial?

Right now I am revising my program because I've been using a slider bar which succcesfully manipulates data across 2 scritps and it sends the data to the Arduino which then uses the data... it seems though problems start when I move the slider bar and it dumps all the data all at once. So maybe a pause to refresh variable or something similar? (I dont know the terminology, but I always think of debouncing when i think of this problem).

Yes, I have Uniduino and SD Serial (and I've printed the code out and studied it and still dont understand the flow or more so how to fix the errors and dropping fps because of data overload.).

Last edited: May 25, 2015
  2. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

Serialising data is more platform neutral than a Unity thing. I'd look at the .net framework on stack overflow or MSDN. There is a live training session on saving data that could be helpful. There are Json read write packages on the asset store. Depends what you want to do.

For arguing, tho' I do know people use unity to drive it, is there an arduino forum that might help?