Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Request for Help] Editing 3d models for use in Unity

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Rizembus, Sep 15, 2014.

1. Rizembus

Rizembus

Greetings, I am a complete beginner to 3d game making, I'm just starting my game but I am having slight difficulty figuring things out, particularly when 3d models are concerned.

I want to use these models http://www.models-resource.com/psp/dissidia012duodecimfinalfantasy/ , but i am unsure on how to interpret the files (each model comes with a .obj, .mtl, .dae and materials .png), how should i go about to make the models usable in Unity? Do I import it straight? Do I have to recompile them in an 3d editing software like blender or maya? How do I check if they have animations attached?

As i also have no knowledge of blender or maya, I would appreciate if anyone could provide me with a good tutorial on both how to animate and edit the models(specifically in the Sephiroth DLC to join his wing with his body as they appear to be separate models) and how to compile them in a format that will be usable in unity.

Thanks in advance

2. christinanorwood

christinanorwood

I suggest you check out my Getting Started in Game Development series on YouTube - it will take a couple of hours. I'm using Blender for basic modelling, rigging, animation and export to Unity. For you files, obj and dae are two different model formats. The mtl file is associated with the obj as it's material, and the png is for the textures. You can import either obj or dae into Blender and Unity can read the .blend file.