Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Replacing built-in shaders for terrain billboard grass.

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by dsedov, Aug 3, 2014.

1. dsedov

dsedov

I've replaced built-in shader for the Billboard grass "Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/BillboardWavingDoublePass" by naming my shader the same way. Everything works fine inside Unity. When I do a build, however, it does not work. I use custom shaders for everything because of my own lighting model. I have hard time replacing built in grass billboard shader, and desperately need help.

Also my shader is based on the built-in shader and works fine inside unity, when I hit Play.

2. frogsbo

frogsbo

there are some shaders to upgrade the grass, and some complete wavy grass systems, it's good to see them, i dunno sorry.

3. dsedov

dsedov

Damn... I've tried everything. At first I thought that the shader was not exporting into the player, because it was not assigned to anything. But I've tried that - still no luck.

4. frogsbo

frogsbo

5. dsedov

dsedov

Checked most of them. None use the billboard unfortunately or use billboard with default Unity shader.

6. frogsbo

frogsbo

7. David L

David L

When you say it doesn't work, what does the result look like? Eg does it look like the shader is missing?

8. dsedov

dsedov

It looks like a default shader. I have a global color map that I use in a shader that samples worldpos and then converts it to UV on the global color map. This way I can have "blue", "green" etc areas that I sample and then multiply the final color with.

9. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

Make sure the shader file is in your Resources folder otherwise a standalone build won't find it. Normally any material using a missing shader would go a lovely shade of pink, but the builtin terrain grass shader will still be present, so it will be defaulting to that.