Search Unity

1. Unity Asset Manager is now available in public beta. Try it out now and join the conversation here in the forums.
    Dismiss Notice

Render Statistics

Discussion in 'Unity 5 Pre-order Beta' started by reptilebeats, Dec 10, 2014.

1. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

Hi im not sure if this changed in unity 4 so i will post in 5 forums.

I was just wandering if there were any details on the new Statistics window, like a description of what each meant mainly the Setpass calls and batches.

bit confused as there's batches and saved by batches now.

2. groovounet

groovounet

Unity Technologies

Hi,

This is a 5.0 change so it's expected that Unity website doesn't reflect this change.
    The documentation for this is being updated but this is not yet available in 5.0b16 but I expect it will be available soon. Check out RenderingStatistics.html in the Manual provided with future update.

The window says: "batches and saved by batching". The question is I think what's a batches: It's a set of resources used to submit draw calls. By batching batches we combine multiple set of resources together which is what dynamic and static batching does when enabled. We removed "draw calls" because it was a meaningful metric for optimization at basically a draw call is nearly free, what's expensive is the number of time we need to change the set of resources. To represent this, we use many draw calls for static batching per batches but a single draw calls for dynamic batching per batches but static batching is vastly faster than dynamic batching in 5.0.

Thanks,
    Christophe

gregroberts likes this.
  3. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

thanks for the info i will await for the new documentation

4. Shbli

Shbli

Hello, is there any updates regarding this? I'm also confused ..

I checked the documentation, seems they have a new screenshot but the old text is still there

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  5. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

not that i know off guessing it will all be updated when the final release it out

6. Shbli

Shbli

It seems to be the case, I was just hoping that someone will come explain about it here in the forum, last time I checked there was a new screenshot in documentation section.

7. RyuK

RyuK

Does "Saved by batching" mean the number of "resources used to submit draw calls" saved by batching?

Does it mean 1 static batching can reduce more batches (i.e. resources) than dynamic batching while the number of draw calls reduced by static batching is not so large as the number of reduced batches? Please elaborate this part if possible, I've not read the doc in the latest Unity 5 beta.

I guess the introduction of Metal is also related to this change, please correct me if it's not.