Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[Remake] Silent Hill 4: The Room - Henry's Apartment in Unity 5

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by DennG, Jul 9, 2015.

1. DennG

DennG

Hi,

since Unity 5 came out we've been working on a project for learning process of creating a 3d game level.
    We chose a level from one of our favourite games 'Silent Hill 4: The Room' and tried to recreate it as similar as possible. We were struggling with many things especially the new lightmapping/GI system Enlighten, but we learned a lot and it was worth it.

We've made short video and uploaded it on youtube.
    It inlcudes a short cinematic trailer with a own version of the 'Room Of Angel' soundtrack and a short gameplay.

I hope you like it (watch it in 1080p60):

Screenshots:

We have done the modelling, texturing, scripting, sound design and video editing all by ourselves (team of two people).

Assets from the store used for this project:
    • Alloy Shader Framework v3 by @xenius and his fellows
    • Filmic Tonemapping and Eye Adaption by @G.Mika

We would be really happy to get your feedback.

Btw...
    We started our own project now which will be shown in the WIP section the next few months.
    Stay tuned.

All rights belong to Konami as mentioned in the video.
    It was a private project for practice only and won't be publish it anywhere.
    Please, I do not want to end this in a copyright discussion.

ROBYER1, DevMember, bartm4n and 8 others like this.
  2. laurentlavigne

laurentlavigne

That's one low ceiling.

3. DennG

DennG

4. Slavka911

Slavka911

IGN?! great!

DennG likes this.
  5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Very impressive results! If you have any feedback on our framework I would love to hear it. ;)

6. DennG

DennG

Thanks for your feedback @n00body
    I'm glad that you like it!

It was our first project that we used Alloy in and we are very satisfied with the result.
    I really like the Alloy UI and the countless possibilites you can achieve with the modular approach.
    I'm looking forward to the rain/wetness system since we got some crazy ideas going on :D

My only criticism is that the roughness from the custom Substance Painter shader isn't exaclty matching the one inside of Unity.

7. Deleted User

Deleted User

@DennG
    Yeah, unfortunately that is beyond our control since Unity does pre-filtered cubemaps using Phong and Substance Designer/Painter uses importance sampling using GGX. I hope our preview shader looked close enough and helped more than it hurt.

DennG likes this.
  8. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This is impressive @DennG... it feels very moody and scary just like Silent Hill would be. Though I do have some critiques as far as shading is concerned.

-- looking at all of the surfaces, everything feels very monotone and grey. Though this is Silent Hill's signature feel, it feels off to me.

-- Also there is no differential in the surfaces such as the doors, walls... and chain. If those are painted wood doors, there should be some shine to the doors, especially if it is painted. I noticed that they were dirty looking and having some shine would help sell the effect. The walls as well need a little shine to them especially if they are painted. As of right now, everything looks too rough... The chains need some shine in areas where there is coating...the chain looks too uniform.

-- And finally, there are some scaling issues with some of the objects in the room... especially the couch, chairs, and ceiling which feels too low. That is probably the hardest thing to do when you are creating levels for games.

Other than this... great work... and nice links for the asset store... I use most of these.

9. DennG

DennG

@n00body
    Okay. Thanks for elaborating.
    Yea, it's close enough! ;)

@Neptune_Imaging
    Thanks for that detailed answser and feedback!

1.)
    Yeah it's very monotone but on purpose to hit the Silent Hill mood.
    At the beginning it was too much saturated and it felt wrong (compared to the original).
    In our new project we'll do it in a own way.

2.)
    You're totally right. Thanks for pointing that out!

3.)
    Funny thing is when you check the ceiling from the original.. it's as low as ours :D
    I just checked it.
    But I agree on that too. Higher ceiling and better scaled furniture would be more realistic.
    I'll keep it in mind.

Criticism like that really helps us!! :)

Btw. I'm looking forward to your Alloy tutorial!

KRGraphics likes this.
  10. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

I love you so much for making this!
    I've been a huge fan of Silent Hill and one of my projects get a praise "Silent Hill in FPS"

This was great to watch and I couldn't help but think how I would go about this. I'd probably do a James in the toilet scene :p

Great work with use of plugins too, congratulations.

DennG likes this.
  11. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Yep, no problem. I do a lot of architectural modeling and I will place a six foot cube in the level to get a realistic feel for the environment. And I need to look at the SSR plug in you're using.

I'm hoping to get my tutorial done by sometime next week.

DennG likes this.
  12. DennG

DennG

Thanks!
    I'd love to see James in the toilet... wait... :D

Our new project will be SH inspired too ;)

TanselAltinel likes this.
  13. Jolkio

Jolkio

Looks absolutely great apart from those scaling issues.

Can't wait to get a peek at your own project :D

DennG likes this.
  14. Plawius

Plawius

Hey! That's really great work! :)
    Thanks for using out SSR solution

DennG and TanselAltinel like this.
  15. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

Aside from being a nice solution (happy client here :D ) I don't think he had much of a choice for Unity 5.x :p

Plawius and DennG like this.
  16. DennG

DennG

Let's see how it performs against the official solution which arrives at 8th of september ;)

17. Slavka911

Slavka911

I think the Plawius SSR I saw on the Project is very impressive and has very good performance.

The Unity standard SSR could be good, but I don´t think better than Plawius SSR! :)

Moonville Entertainment DennG achived 60 frames per Second with SunShafts, Plawius SSR, Volume Fog and very detailed Textures on the meshes! I think it´s a hard way to achive 60 fps for a setting like here, because of many models and Image effects!

Great Job!
    Hope you will get more feedback for the work

@all
    Sorry for my english...

Plawius and DennG like this.
  18. TanselAltinel

TanselAltinel

@DennG
    Would you happen to think to recreate any other scenes from your other favorite games? Small, but beautiful. I think we need more of these type of works.

19. DennG

DennG

Not in the near future. I'd love to remake something from Zelda: Ocarina of Time... :rolleyes:

We're trying to focus on our own project for now. Currently I'm in heavy planning and prototyping mode.
    We'll release a teaser trailer in 1-2 months.

Plawius and TanselAltinel like this.
  20. OfficialHermie

OfficialHermie

@DennG Are you going to share the source code? I mean without the pay-fx of course, but it would still be an amazing learning experience.

Last edited: Aug 24, 2015
  21. FabricioRibiero

FabricioRibiero

Is this available for download? if don't, i want it very much ;)