Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

Splat coverage is taken topplanar - like every global texture, but detail maps can use triplanar texturing to remove streching. Try to compile RTP shaders with triplanar selected in LOD manager.

Tom

2. helgarddebarros

helgarddebarros

Tom, just an update. I opened the project, unchecked "8 LAYERS in first pass", and all my errors disappeared and the project is looking like it did before the update. So before the update I could use that option, and after the update I cannot. It is not a problem, the project looks fine and I can work with this.

Attached Files:

3. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

I just updated the plugin and now get this error:

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/Common/RTPFogUpdate.cs(21,52): error CS1061: Type `RTP_LODmanager' does not contain a definition for `RTP_COLORSPACE_LINEAR' and no extension method `RTP_COLORSPACE_LINEAR' of type `RTP_LODmanager' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

I have reimported. I refreshed the plugin. I also tried closing and reopening Unity. When I reopened it, I got an error message saying that it couldn't load my window layout. It says this can happen if there are compile errors in the project. Unity has defaulted back to the standard window layout. I am still getting the error displayed above.

4. skullofaplesiosaurus

skullofaplesiosaurus

Thank you for your reply. Please forgive me, I don't know shaders very well yet so I barely understood 5% of what you're talking about. Here is another video of my project. I ran the profiler and statistics in the editor to show you more of my problem.

What I previously thought about passes could be all wrong. I don't know what my problem could be so could you talk to me like I'm 5. That should help.

5. Naidgel

Naidgel

Hello! I need your help, I do not understand how to create a dynamic snow.
    1) I create a new terrain
    2) I add 4 texture Paint Texture
    3) Add Component -> Relief Terrain -> Engine - tarrain or mesh
    4) Configurable _RTP_LODmanager
    4.1) RTP features - Add pass (4layers) -> check "Dynamic snow"
    5) click Recompile shaders
    6) Terrain -> Settings -> Snow -> Strenght "1" not snow, why?
    Sry for my bad En =(
    I read Documentation PDF
    "just reserve one of your layers as snow texture/bump map – and define number of this layer in LOD manager"
    I opted for the null, one, two - texture not snow.
    Please tell me what I'm doing wrong
    Please create a video tutorial about the weather.

Sry x2 for my En

6. nasos_333

nasos_333

Adding to the above question, is RTP snow dynamics controlled by a global shader variable and if so, what is the variable name and control ranges ?

Thanks

7. errandfox

errandfox

Hi Tom; how would I save the custom terrain materials using the reliefterrain-firstpass shader for each of my terrains? I am trying to get a new weather/sky system working with rtp and the system changes the terrain material and shader. I can see the customer material for rtp in the inspector in terrain settings but I can't find it in my assets, how do I reuse it or save it?

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to remove RTP3.2 installation before getting RTP3.3

I don't see any issue on your video. What are you worrying about ?

When you have 4 layers on your terrain, add pass won't be used. Enable snown in first pass in LOD manager and recompile. After installing RTP snow should be enabled by default (it's used on my example scene).

It's in my docs. Jimbob posted it also here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/page-14#post-2493356

Tom

9. silentneedle

silentneedle

@tomaszek It seems that the dynamic snow doesn't work with geometry blended game objects, is there any workaround/fix for that?

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

It can work, but you need to use geom blend shader that uses the same snow routine as terain. I'd recommend - 1/2 layer configurable geom blend shader - configure them to use snow and they should work with terrain.

Tom

11. skullofaplesiosaurus

skullofaplesiosaurus

Sorry man, I thought my problem was quite evident, but maybe you haven't used VR before. In this video my framerate drops below 70 and even below 60 fps during other times. This is bad

And then in this next video I try to make sense of the profiler, but I'm still new, I have no idea what it all means

How do I render this terrain as cheap as possible for VR? Please and thank you.

12. kaarme

kaarme

Okay, I got it working. Thanks for the tips. I am now testing a bit.

Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrainGeometryBlendBase': maximum ps_4_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/Internal/../RTP_AddBase.cginc(601) (on glcore)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF FOG_EXP2 RTP_PM_SHADING
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP

I have height&normal from texture, texture above bicubic filtering and displace detail heightmaps on.

When disabling it and compiling:
    Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-AddPass': maximum ps_4_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_AddBase.cginc(601) (on glcore)

Compiling Vertex program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF FOG_EXP2 RTP_PM_SHADING
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING SHADER_API_DESKTOP UNITY_TEXTURE_ALPHASPLIT_ALLOWED
    Now terrain is pink when close again and recompiling won't fix it.

13. tomaszek

tomaszek

Your profiler shows probably vsync (WaitForPresent) on CPU. GPU usage - you don't have it enabled in profiler, so I can't tell. For RTP - the less features you use, the more cheap it gets. Try to not use too large detail textures (like 4k), esp. detail heightmaps. On my example scene I use 512 on details and 256 on detail heightmaps.

Tom

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...-v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-86#post-2477023
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...-v3-on-assetstore.206516/page-86#post-2477297

15. topofsteel

topofsteel

I receive the compile errors below when building for WebGL. I'm updating an older project that had been targeting the Webplayer. Removed and replaced RTP to version RTP3.3b and went to set the target in the _RTP_LODmanager, but I don't see those options there anymore? I checked the code and there actually is platform dependent compile statement...

Code (CSharp):
    1. #if !UNITY_WEB_GL || UNITY_EDITOR
    2.         Substances = new ProceduralMaterial[holder.Bumps.Length];
    3. #endif
    Why is that code being compiled? My build target is definitely set to WebGL. Commenting that line out works fine though. Thanks.

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/_Internal/ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder.cs(1797,26): error CS0246: The type or namespace name `ProceduralMaterial' could not be found. Are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/ReliefTerrain/_Internal/ReliefTerrainGlobalSettingsHolder.cs(1797,9): error CS0103: The name `Substances' does not exist in the current context

16. tomaszek

tomaszek

3.3b is not much webGL friendly. The most probably line gets compiled because you're in editor. and your target build platform is webGL. You need to comment out all occurences of proceduralmaterial() and lines that depend on it. Substances are only used in editor to grab their textures. They are not used nor needed for rendering in RTP.

Tom

17. kaarme

kaarme

I'm giving up. Now the terrain is a plane over my player. The tessellation does not work.

18. docsavage

docsavage

Hi @tomaszek,,

I am just starting to learn about the graphics side of game dev (now that most of my game code is done). I have RTP and I have Uber and it's totally obvious that they are great products. You customer support is also fantastic and above and beyond expectation, especially compared to some asset store developers.

But a word of respectful constructive criticism. You obviously know you products and shader's etc inside out but when you give explanations for using the products it's like a maths professor trying to teach advanced maths to an infant.

I suspect that a lot of other customers are like me. I realise I will need to learn vastly more about shaders etc to be able to get the most of of these assets and that's a problem for me due to other real commitments. It's putting me off actually using them and I know I will not be using them in the game I am working on now.

If there is any way to simplify the use of these products and integration into projects then I and I imagine others would greatly appreciate it Having all the power and functionality is great as users get more advanced but to just have a quick way of getting stuff done would be great. Even if it's not optimal or utilises the full capabilities.

I bet you would get more free time as well due to less questions on these forums. Probably needed the way unity keep changing everything and expect developers to play catch up.

Hope not disheartened you but I think if anyone else released a product nearly as good but easier to use you are going to lose most of your potential customers and some current ones.

19. docsavage

docsavage

Just had a thought. A simple document flow chart starting at intended target device that them goes to best suggested shaders/lighting etc would be fantastic. Just to direct down the right paths.

eg.

Target || Lighting || rtp components used || rtp components not used || settings

old mobile ===> whatever===>

ps4 ====>

high end pc ===>

Just a thought

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
  20. tomaszek

tomaszek

Could you try with my example scene ? There is height&normals map prepared already (2 versions) to be applied to the texture slot when tess/displacement is enabled in LOD manager. It works fine for me, also I double checked recently if making the height&normals texture worked. Do you test it on terrain. Is your terrain set to 0 at y-world axis (shouldn't matter though) ?

Tom

21. kaarme

kaarme

I'm going to check it, but I have tried it multiple times in the example scene and reimported rtp.
    Also I couldn't find how to get rid of this:

22. kaarme

kaarme

This is what I thought.

23. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

Awesome, thank you - I'm up & running again! Everything is working great!

24. Curunir

Curunir

Hello Tom!
    Maybe you already saw this error for thousand times, but can you help me?
    When I build my project these bunch of errors throws in console. What can cause this?

Thank you.

Attached Files:

25. Gruguir

Gruguir

Hi, the wetmask paint tool is constantly crashing Unity when i begin to paint (5.3.1p1)

26. tomaszek

tomaszek

What's your target platform. Seems it doesn't have enough resources to run RTP.

I'll look and check it on U5.3.2f1.

Tom

27. jdraper3

jdraper3

Hi Tom!

I had an issue on 5.2 and the previous RTP release that went away (not sure why or how) but after upgrading to 5.3 and the latest RTP, it's back :(

I'm using 8 layer / 1 pass mode and several of my detail textures keep getting changed to a different resolution by RTP. I will see an error like "Detail tex 0 size=1024 while detail tex 4 size=512" that will show up like 20 times per second in the console as long as the Relief Terrain script is showing in the inspector.

When I fix the texture sizes to 1024 (I know that they all have to be the same size), as soon as I go back to the terrain and look at the layers in the RTP script, it sets them back to 512 and the error starts spamming the console again.

When I remove the RTP component from the terrain, I can change the texture sizes and the new size sticks - however, the second I add the RTP engine component back onto the terrain, the size changes back to 512 for several of the textures and the console is spammed constantly with that error again, so I know it's RTP that has to be changing it.

Is this a known bug or is there any known solution or workaround? Thanks!

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

8 layers makes atalses which require all detail difuse/gloss texture are of the same size. If you unselect RTP terrain and change all 8 textures to 1024 you should be able to regenerate atlas (you can click "refresh" below any detail color texture). It's sometimes misleading that you change maximum size of texture to 1024 whilte the texture itself is 512 for example (so it can't be imported as 1024). However once I saw some glitch in Unity that the texture was 1024 but was reported to scripts as 512. The solution was to make a copy of texture and use the copy. You won't have troubles when you're not in 8 layers mode. you can try to swtich RTP to 4+4 mode in LOD manager temporarily. Attach copied textures (whicn you're sure are all 1024). Then switch back to 8 layers mode. Atlases should get rebuilt without problems then.

Tom

jdraper3 likes this.
  29. malkere

malkere

Hey, just a quick mention. I've started talking openly about my game, Solace Crafting, which uses RTP as one of it's main components. I've mentioned it and TerrainComposer on my website, let me know if you'd rather I didn't Tom :p
    I have a WIP thread on the forums I'll be adding more and more pictures to, and twitter, or the website etc.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/solace-crafting-an-rpg-for-crafters.384090/

To be honest I'm not yet doing RTP much honor, there is a lot of it I don't understand yet, but I get better at it every week. The UV filtering and far distance replacement are absolute musts for rendering at long distance like I'm doing. Also the hole cutting for terrains has been a big help!

30. docsavage

docsavage

@tomaszek,

Full of a cold so thought would sit down and have another go at RTP. Followed you youtube vid but some things seem to have been changed with version 3.3, not complaining. Managed to suss out easy enough. Don't know why considering not thinking straight while ill but something just clicked and have been able to get some basic but nice terrains up and running.

This is obviously one of the asset store greats. Getting the snow on a scene is a joy. Once got to grips with this then looking forward to using Uber(owned since day 1) to get a snow storms/ and rain storms up and running.

So basically it's not as hard to get going as I initially thought, maybe the break did me good or you have made it easier since last time I tried it.

A flow chart for recommendations would still be good though.

Thanks

doc

Edit - Forgot to say the amount of information and work in the pdf doc is great.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  31. jdraper3

jdraper3

Thanks Tom, that workaround fixed the issue :)

32. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

I'm trying to get textures to look a certain way, but can't seem to figure out how to make it happen. I've attached a screenshot of the problem:

Fresnel.png

The color close to the edge of the hill face is far to light. Instead of this light color, I simply want to texture's colors all the way (or a drastically reduced lightness to the color). It seems as though RTP is treating this texture as metallic, even though the Layer 1 metalness is set to zero.

My color space is linear.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

And, echoing what someone said earlier: I don't want to seem negative. RTP is a fantastic asset - I love using it and love what it's doing for my environment! Thanks for all your hard work. I know we'll get this issue figured out :)

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

It's effect of Unity PBR implementation. In metallic workflow the "magic constant" for dielectric specular color is not black, but quite bright actually. It's global Unity shader parameter unity_ColorSpaceDielectricSpec. As long as I modify some lighting pipeline (without tweaking Unity PBR), we might think about some customization here as a lot of users complain about it. Replace .cginc file from attachment and reimport shaders folder. All shaders out there that use metallic workflow should get affected to have pitch black specular color for metalness set to 0.

In next update I'll make tint color adjustable in LOD_manager (new RTP global shader color property named RTP_ColorSpaceDielectricSpecTint - when it's not set it's 0, so bright dielectric tint will be removed instantly).

NOTE - that this tweak won't manipulate fresnel implementation in Unity PBR which means - even with completely black spec color and smoothness set to 0 we still receive specularity term at grazing view angles.

ATB, Tom

Attached Files:

Seneral likes this.
  34. tomaszek

tomaszek

It is a bug. I'll fix it in next update. Meanwhile you can do it in ReliefTerrainEditor.cs file yourself. Find 2 occurences of such line:

Code (csharp):
    1. Undo.RegisterCompleteObjectUndo(_targetRT.tmp_globalColorMap, "Geometry Blend Edit");
    and replace with correct line:

Code (csharp):
    1. Undo.RegisterCompleteObjectUndo(_target.paint_wetmask ? _targetRT.tmp_CombinedMap : _targetRT.tmp_globalColorMap, "RTP Paint");
    Tom

Gruguir likes this.
  35. Zylex

Zylex

I did as you described but the problems still seems to be there for me. Here is what it looks like(3.3b):

This seems very unnatural for a terrain and in the previous version (v3.1) it looked better with less shineyness on angles see:

Is there any way to remove this or atleast a setting to decrease this? It is great though that you fixed deferred and forward being the same and this is the only problem holding us back from using the updated version.

Marked likes this.
  36. tomaszek

tomaszek

To be sure you've got black specular color. Switch to deferred (if' renot yet). Remember that in 8 layers you need to render it in 1 pass. In scene view there is option to show Gbuffer outputs. Other than this -the one of purposes of introducing RTP3.3 was to uniform lighting with Unity PBR model. As far as in metallic workflow spec color for zero metalness is not black, but low-grey I've decided to tweak it. Of course I can again replace PBR of Unity with some custom one to not expose fresnel effect at grazing angles, but it won't match other objects rendered with Unity PBR paradigm.

It's not hard to manage (remove fresnel part from Unity PBR), but I'm wondering if it's any good. Would like to hear more opinions maybe. In deferred you'd have modified lighting in _all_ scene stuff. In forward you could separate terrain PBR from other objects.

Tom

37. imtehQ

imtehQ

does tessellation work on terrain in unity 5.* ?

38. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

Awesome, thank you! I'll get this implemented tonight!

39. tomaszek

tomaszek

Checked on U5.3.1 and it worked in DX11 and openGL4.1 (forced on windows)

Tom

40. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

If this fresnel tweak, and the black specular color, were also made to UBER would that cover most cases?

I understand that other shaders using Unity's PBR implementation would render different, but it seems to me that covering the terrain and anything shaded by UBER would cover most of the cases.

Of course, that may make anything shaded in Unity's default PBR implementation stand out all the more...

Ultimately, my vote is that adding the options would give us more freedom - and would therefore be a good thing. Maybe Tom or some of us could make some tutorial videos explaining how/why these features were added - to help alleviate any confusion that may arise.

I know for my game, the current fresnel and specular black level are unacceptable - I don't want plasticy-looking terrain in my game.

Also, I would like to see a slider for the fresnel and specular color options. Perhaps a slider that allows me to go from Unity's current implementation to zero and anywhere in between would be a good place to start?

41. Lipoly

Lipoly

Hello, I am having an issue with RTP.

We dynamically load/unload all terrains from a prefab based on proximity. However, it seems that Perlin Normal only works as long as the terrain is kept in the scene it was originally setup with RTP in...you can't prefab it, then remove it from the scene b/c when it is later loaded the perlin normal functionality is lost.

Furthermore, after you initially remove it from the scene, there appears to be no way to get it back, even if I pull the prefab back into the scene the perlin sliders just don't do anything. Everything else seems to work, though.

Here is a video demonstrating what I'm talking about. It may be hard to tell from the video, but when I play the level, and the terrain is loaded, there is no perlin, and dragging the terrain back into the scene shows the perlin sliders don't do anything anymore.

Here is a video showing the only way to get perlin functionality back (even though everything else I've tried appears to work) is to strip the RTP components and start over:

Thanks for any help! :)

Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  42. magique

magique

In the documentation it states the following:

"Although you can't use all the features in 8 layers mode, it's advisable to use it for performance reasons."

Is this accurate? Is it actually better for performance to use 8 layer mode? I want to make sure I use the best performance possible and I would have never thought 8 layer mode would be better for performance so I want to be sure about this.

43. Lipoly

Lipoly

I am pretty new to RTP...how do you even switch which mode you are using w/o simply having more/less layers?

44. tomaszek

tomaszek

When you save prefab all "loose" cene references are lost. Perlin texture is scene object until you save it in RTP/Combined textyres/special combined tab. You can also put there already made combined texture that's saved on my example scene (compare what's the texture in combined textures/special combined tab). Then your prefab should loose the reference. Material on Unity terrain settings is also scene object, but it's recreated when terrain is active, so that's no problem. Textures are not automatically recreated on terrain awake.

Tom

45. tomaszek

tomaszek

When you've got 8 layers on your terrain, 8 layers mode should work faster, especially with "no overlap" switch selected.

"8 layers mode" refers to method of rendering terrain when you have 8 layers. Terrain is then rendered in 1 pass instead of 2 (4 in first pass, 4 in add pass). With 4 layers "8 layers mode" is wrong. Currently You can't mix terrains of 4 and 8 layers.

Tom

46. tomaszek

tomaszek

After some research it turned out that fresnel term in PBR calculations done by Unity doesn't influence here. It's GGX lighting with JointSmithGGXVisibilityTerm() which gives surprisingly bright output. Here are proofs (with diffuse color for all layers set to black):

1. GGX (black spec color, smoothness=0)
    JointSmithGGXVisibilityTerm.JPG

2. Normalized BlinnPhong with metallic=0 (so default dielectric spec color is used)
    BRDF2_Unity_PBS.JPG
    3. As above but I tweaked spec color for dielectric to be black:
    BRDF2_Unity_PBS_blackSpec.JPG
    So we can see now you'll be able to have pitch-black specular term for rough materials.

I'm adding a script (present in example scene on terrain object) where you can manipulate dielectric spec color tint. For lighting functions I will explicitly select "PBS2" level (normalized blinn phong) instead of highest level (GGX).

You can do the same now in ReplacementPBSLighting.cginc file:

put this:

Code (csharp):
    2. //
    3. // explicitly set mid-level PBS lighting function, because for terrain hi-end GGX can give unpleasant results for rough surfaces (overbrighten specular visibility term)
    4. //
    5. #define UNITY_BRDF_PBS BRDF2_Unity_PBS
    after this line:

Code (csharp):
    1. #define UNITY_PBS_LIGHTING_INCLUDED
    Reimport shaders and the look you complain should be gone. Are we downgrading spcularity model ? Yes, we are. But demanded results are at least more convincing. That's the point.

Tom

P.S. Although GGX used by Unity is physically correct, it's formulated from microfacet models. For organic stuff that's present on terrains it simply doesn't work like that - we have huge variety of micro surfaces even on 1 layer (like sand, dirt, wood, pebbles). But the most important factor is that specularity doesn't take into account normalmap variance. All these detail normalmap grooves when observed from distance (or at grazing angles) would gave totally different "ground truth" specular lighting result comparing to MIP filtered normals used.

47. magique

magique

I can't get RTP to display properly on the Wii U. No matter what mode I have it in, I only get colors on the terrain. I'm currently all the way down to Classic mode with no additional features for classic fallback. I have no specularity checked, Linear colorspace, no details on far distance, no lightmaps, and currently 4 layers only. All the modes I've attempted look fine on the PC, but only show up as colored terrain on the Wii U. I don't see any errors when running the game such as shader problems so I would think all should be well. I had it working once on Unity 4.3 for Wii U a while back, but no success yet on 5.2.

EDIT: I'm still trying to get this to work. I removed RTP completely and re-imported it. That didn't work. No matter what I set anything to, it just doesn't work on the Wii U.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2016
  48. Tethys

Tethys

Greetings Tom! Sorry to bother but we ran into 1 small issue after the 3.3 update. My project is set in Linear and Deferred. I am using the standalone POM triplanar shader on all our biomes. We usually use the Snow feature actually as sand for streams and lakes heh (set the coverage height threshold to be low and the coverage height length to be negative, for example -10). The issue is no matter what color I pick for the Color option in Snow, it keeps changing it back to a middle grey value. I have tried all sorts of colors, it just ignores it after being picked and sets it back to the middle grey value. What could possibly cause this? I can't set it to white for snow either for some reason. I have RTP, Uber and Alloy installed for shader packs, and I have tried these together before so I do not think there is an issue there.

**Update - I tried to set the snow color with RTP 3.3 in another project and ran into the same issue, this time however the color was locked down to white. Looking back in my main project, I see a few of my materials that are set to POM Triplanar have different colors for the snow, all of which I cannot adjust (some white, some greyish). I read through the manual for Snow but the section seemed to apply towards people using the manager script, which of course we don't use since its the Standalone shader we are using.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016
  49. bsgbryan

bsgbryan

Thank you for the detailed explanation!

I'll test this out and report back.

50. Vanblam

Vanblam

Hi, I'm using the tri-planar shader and I still don't understand how to clear up my gloss/specular problem. The shine reflecting off the specific areas that I want to shine is working fine, but I cant shake this gloss haze that runs across my terrain. How can I resolve this. (Using deferred lighting).

(EDIT: Pay no attention to the white shiny area at the top as that's a different biome.)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2016