Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. kilju

kilju

i got this error when compiling shader: Shader error in 'Hidden/TerrainEngine/Details/Vertexlit': invalid subscript 'color' at line 178 (on d3d11)
    seems like no matter what i choose it allways comes.
    error only comes when compiling then its gone.
    it doesnt seem to make any harm thought. should i just leave it like this?

2. garyhaus

garyhaus

Why am I not seeing used shaders and Target platforms in the inspector?

Also, I am using deferred...

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can you check if combined texture (RTP inspector/combined textures/special combined tab) used for perlin normal is actually fine and present ? Try to visit perlin normal tab to rebuild it otherwise (or drag and drop this ready made that's used and saved on example scene terrain).

Your error is not related to RTP. It's Unity (or replaced with some 3rd party package) detail shader for things rendered on terrain.

By default all shaders are compiled (new Unity do it enough efficient and quick) and all usable targets (except for mobile gles2 and winphone rt 9x_11 which are not capable for RTP). Notice that in the opposite to earlier RTP I don't "include" platforms, but rather exclude only these 2 platforms. So it should work on everything that's capable - mobile gles3. iOS, desktops, consoles.

For your compilation problem. Try to reduce 1 feature or go for 2 passes - First&add 4+4.

Tom

4. Seneral

Seneral

Had a similar error, perlin did not show up, cranking the sliders up rresulted in black layers. After some switching back between the main paralax settings and combined special perlin) textures the said combined texture finally showed up. Though the tiling scale and mip offset don't seem to do anything anymore:( The update is looking really good so far, I'm eager to finally feed some proper PBR textures into RTP;)

Edit: Also, is there an option to blend the UV blend replace feature? I want it to be replaced at a distance, but the hard edge currently prevents me from replacing it more than 0.2...
    Edit 2: Actually it get's blended, but there's somehow a minimum range which is higher than my distance start value I had set in the main settings - that reulted in a harsh edge for some reason:
    http://www.youscreen.de/cohpwtwp74.jpg
    It's not related to the main settings nor any shadow cascade, there seems to be another range limit which I'm not aware of:(

Last edited: Jan 23, 2016
  5. garyhaus

garyhaus

Thanks. set on two passes. Working now!

6. tomaszek

tomaszek

I will look again into perlin normal issue and get back conclusions here. Could you give me some example of "hard edge" issue for replacement ?

Tom

7. Seneral

Seneral

Here's a screen:
    Screenshot2.jpg
    Replacement is of course exaggerated. Distance start values is at 0, blend range doesn't really matter then because the edge is more than 50 away. Seems like everything is blended correctly with a minimum range at that edge. Again, this does not match up with a shadow cascade or any other range setting that I know of...
    There's also a slight difference in brightness at this edge depending on which value the distance start is set: The higher the distance start value is, the darker the inner circle gets in comparision to the outer circle...

With a distance start of 30 the edge nearly disappears when setting the replacement a bit lower (quitee balanced):
    Screenshot3.jpg
    At 50, the replacement is ok, but the inner circle is slightly darker. While barely noticeable in a stil image, when moving this is kinda annoying:
    Screenshot4.jpg
    Any Idea what this range is?
    With the right balance this is not too visible, but still...

8. Uto

Uto

Should demo scenes work right out of box?

9. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

Yes. In Combine tab slot perlin map is empty. Delete RTP Lod manager does nothing when textures rebuilding, but i put perlin texture manually and it works!

Honestly, knowing all the current restrictions and having experience in the use of RTP. My console has no errors), and everything works like clock!

Thanks Tom for Big update.
    With Best Regards, Leonid.

10. duplexius

duplexius

Hi Tom,

I updated to 3.3 today and noticed the following new bug, which did not happen in 3.2g (the version I updated from).
    In some areas there are pitch black dots. Barely visible, but post processing effects like bloom react on them like crazy.

This screenshot is without any post processing effects, scaled up in Photoshop.

blackpixels.jpg

Update: I found out that this no longer happens when I recompile the shaders without the Water/Wetness features.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  11. Morfeuskiev

Morfeuskiev

12. duplexius

duplexius

@Morfeuskiev:
    I did a fresh reimport and the inspector is still the same.

13. Seneral

Seneral

Are you sure you're using the latest version 3.3? Notice how you've 'layer 1 spec multiplier' first and with 3.3 this is 'layer 1 metalness' because of the new Unity 5 PBR support.... or better, do you even use Unity 5?

14. duplexius

duplexius

Yeah it looks like the asset store decided to only download 3.2i. o_O
    Will try to get the real 3.3. And yes, I'm on Unity 5.3.0, skipping 5.3.1 because of bugs.

15. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

Quick question about substances. When I use "Get textures" the resulting detail texture seems to be completely desaturated as opposed to the coloured version in the substance. Any idea what might be going on there?

Screen Shot 2016-01-24 at 16.38.22.png

16. Seneral

Seneral

Maybe your sustance format is not set to RAW?

17. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

Thanks for your reply. It is set to RAW. At first it was not, but then no textures were created in the first place so I changed that.

18. IDreamofIndie

IDreamofIndie

There seems to be an issue with Global Normal Map In RTP V3.3. When activating the Global Normal Map and recompiling the shader the splat textures become stretched/skewed and the normal isn't working.

Using Unity 5.3.1f1

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

That's why you've got RTP3.2 downloaded. RTP3.3 is U5.3 only. Too many things changed in rendering pipeline. You can still try to import RTP3.3 on U5.2, but I give no guarantee evertyhing will work.

Tom

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

Is your global normalmap texture import type set to "normal" ? Put it into right slot in RTP globalmaps. In triplanar the world direction for blending is taken from texture not from mesh normals. Is it case for you (triplanar) ?

Tom

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm not much into grabbing substance texture in newest Unity, maybe something changed. If it still resist to import you can also do it manually - small gearbox icon on the right top corner of substance material inspector has option "export bitmaps". Save than as tiffs and use as regular texture in RTP (watch sizes that still need to be the same around one texture type - diffuse/gloss, normal, heightmap)

Tom

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

I imported RTP3.3 (on U5.3.1) multiple times - all example scenes should work fine (at least at clean project where we don't have chance to exceed shader keyword limit)

Tom

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Your problem is related to blending distances. Far replacement occurs only where far distance starts (with far distance fade length). Unfortunately I don't have yet any quick fix to completely remove this gentle replacement start outline you've noticed.

Tom

24. AlterHaudegen

AlterHaudegen

Thanks, that did indeed work!

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

One thing I haven't emphasized yet, which is big improvement in RTP3.3 - custom inspectors for "configurable" shaders. They are very handy now - inspectors have now their own "LOD manager mini" which can look into shader code and turn off/features and recompile shader. That makes them very robust with general list while still - we don't use any additional keywords for features (like snow, water, etc.). That's how it looks like now, maybe some users miss it while these inspectors are very powerful now:

NewRTP33inspectors.JPG

In most cases there's no need to configure shader code inside (with some exceptions - I haven't expose every #define in inspector). Till now inspectors were very hard to read (tons of parameters exposed with no clean grouping on features with fold/unfold + all per layer features had to be set in vectors (without range check).

ATB, Tom

26. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Hi, Tom.

I'm using the default Unity Grid Projector included in the Unity standard assets, which draws a grid on top of all objects using projectors. This works fine on my water plane, but the projected grid won't show up on the RTP terrain. Is there some feature in RTP that makes projectors not work?

27. tomaszek

tomaszek

I don't have explicitly placed ignoreprojectors tag in shader code. Does it work on Unity standard terrain shaders ? Do you use tessellation ?

Tom

28. Vanblam

Vanblam

Question: I'm using the Triplanar shader for my uTerrain world. I see an option for "Use splat texture atlas". Is there any tutorials on this subject for Triplanar color atlas instead of 4 splat detail textures? (I've read through the docs, might have overlooked maybe).

Question 2: I use to place the spec map on the alpha channel of the defuse map. It does not seem to be working anymore. Looks like its grabbing specular info from the alpha channel of my mix normal maps. Is there a change to this? ( Triplanar Shader ).

29. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Thank you for the updated shader Tom (I've been busy with exams so I've first had a chance to test it now), there was a tiny error, a space that wasn't supposed to be between a minus and a one, but after fixing that it worked perfectly.

I have a different question now. I've googled it, but I couldn't come up with anything.
    http://i.imgur.com/wQUltVd.jpg

As you can see the edge between the blending texture and the actual texture is unrealistically hard. Is there a way to set how soft the "Autoblend from vertices distance" should be?
    For the runways it's a hassle to have to paint them in hand since they are like .. well this one is 12 x 180 units, that's a lot to hand paint for something that I suspect could easily be done in code xD
    Also, the line between the blended texture and the terrain seems oddly visible. Is this me doing something wrong?

30. Sir-Spunky

Sir-Spunky

Thanks for the fast response. I did some more research and the problem also appears with the default Unity terrain.

It seems to be related to the pixel error setting, probably because Unity divides the terrain into multiple meshes for LOD purposes. Because I use orthographic projection, the projector fov gets really small and only hits one of the terrain meshes directly underneath the projector object, while the remaining terrain meshes gets no projection. This explains why it still works on the water plane, as it consists of one entire mesh.

As this is a more general terrain/projection issue I won't bother you more with it. Thanks again!

PS: Check out the difference that RTP textures does in visual quality. It's huge!

Screenshot 2016-01-25 19.32.53.png Screenshot 2016-01-25 19.32.55.jpg

John-G likes this.
  31. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

With the latest version on Unity 5.3.1, I get this error when entering play mode:

Shader error in 'Hidden/Relief Pack/ReliefTerrainGeometryBlendBase': maximum ps_4_0 sampler register index (16) exceeded at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_Base.cginc(661) (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF RTP_PM_SHADING
    Platform defines: UNITY_ENABLE_REFLECTION_BUFFERS UNITY_PBS_USE_BRDF1 UNITY_SPECCUBE_BOX_PROJECTION UNITY_SPECCUBE_BLENDING UNITY_TEXTURE_ALPHASPLIT_ALLOWED

I'm using the same amount of features I was before the update and it seemed to work; and I noticed the error is only in the geom blend shader and not the main ones.

32. tomaszek

tomaszek

To make an atlas for standalone shader you need to use regular RTP component as helper. Simply make any terrain (blank) with your 4 detail layers. Attach RTP compoenent. In LOD manager select atlasing. Recompile. Select again RTP inspector on terrain and you'll have atlas made (progress dialog with "padding" wshould appear for a moment). In Combined textures tab - atlases save the atlas generated to file. Now you don't need terrain. Remove it and LOD manager. Use the atlas in your standalone material.

There is no thing like specularity map in RTP shaders. What it has is gloss (smoothness, roughtness inverted) on Alpha channel of diffuse color texture. New PBR controller in RTP is gloss ranging (min/max, far distance gloss add/reduction). Could you specify what's exactly the problem you're facing (screenshot would be welcome) ?

Tom

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

Autoblend works the way it takes outer edge vertices and set blending on them to 0. If your mesh is tessellated (small triangles) blending won't be smoother. It would require to analyse the mesh "deeper" and blend gradually subsequent triangles, not only outer edges. That's what user need to do on his own hough (to manage alpha channel of vertices color).

For your dark edge - hard to tell where it comes from because I don't see it in wider context. Does it depent on light direction ? Might be wrong normals. Do you use RTP3.3 on U5.3 ?

Tom

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

Give me the exact LOD manager setup, I'll try to reproduce. It might be the case that in playmode your camera or geom blend object go into different lighting mode (forward) which requires more texture samplers. If it's on Unity side it would look like bug.

Tom

35. imDanOush

imDanOush

@tomaszek Please help, I stuck very badly. I have made a terrain in 3DS Max and then I painted the vertexes. how would I convert it to a terrain and use RTP to use the splat map (or vertex colors) of the created terrain in 3DS Max?

36. tomaszek

tomaszek

What's the data stored in vertices? Coverage of layer ? To convert such info into splatmap that's needed by Unity terrain and RTP on mesh you'd need to make your own tool. You could, however try to use your model with my standalone shader (with up to 4 layers usable). It's triplanar (so cliffs can look not strenched).

Tom

imDanOush likes this.
  37. tomaszek

tomaszek

I've just uploaded RTP3.3 docs on server. For previous version replace filename with RTP32.pdf

ATB, Tom

38. skullofaplesiosaurus

skullofaplesiosaurus

hi
    I recently bought Terrain Composer and RTP3 because of this tutorial

I'm loving it so far, but there seems to be a problem when applying my colormap. Here is an image of my problem

http://i.imgur.com/tNxBm2W.jpg

Whenever I apply it there's an offset with the splat maps. I know for certain they actually line up because I've opened them up in photoshop. This is my World Machine project where I built all my maps.

http://i.imgur.com/2O13vz0.jpg

Please let me know if there's anything I'm doing wrong.

39. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey tomaszek,

Purchased RTP recently and setup a few terrains that looked really good. Love the blending. Definitely the best part of this extension. One problem I am noticing though is even though POM is enabled in the RET_LODmanager there is only parallax. This is also happening in the demo scene. Sure I am doing something wrong so figured I would ask.

Thanks

40. skullofaplesiosaurus

skullofaplesiosaurus

41. skullofaplesiosaurus

skullofaplesiosaurus

Wow, kidding me? I just updated to 3.3 and I'm still having the same problem. Now there is no "distort perlin levels" under global color settings. My color map is offset again. Is there a way around this?

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

For demo scene I turned on triplanar which reduces POM to PM. Try again recompile with POM and without triplanar if it's enabled. Test demo scene then.

Tom

Baldinoboy likes this.
  43. tomaszek

tomaszek

Found the instability issue related to water/wetness. Will submit update of RTP3.3b soon.

Tom

44. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Hi I just updated unity to 5.3 and rtp to 3.3, I have a pink terrain and gets loads of vert_surf errors and this
    Code (CSharp):
    1. Maximum number (128) of shader keywords exceeded, keyword RTP_POM_SHADING_LO will be ignored.
    2. You will have to delete some shaders or make them use less keywords.
    3. Keywords used in project now: AFS_COLOR_AMBIENT AFS_GRADIENT_AMBIENT AFS_SH_AMBIENT BILLBOARD_FACE_CAMERA_POS DIRECTIONAL DIRECTIONAL_COOKIE DIRLIGHTMAP_COMBINED DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_SEPARATE DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_ON EFFECT_BUMP EFFECT_HUE_VARIATION ENABLE_LOD_FADE FOG_EXP FOG_EXP2 FOG_LINEAR GEOM_TYPE_BRANCH GEOM_TYPE_BRANCH_BLEND GEOM_TYPE_BRANCH_DETAIL GEOM_TYPE_FACING_LEAF GEOM_TYPE_FROND GEOM_TYPE_LEAF GEOM_TYPE_MESH HDR_LIGHT_PREPASS_OFF HDR_LIGHT_PREPASS_ON IN_EDITMODE IN_PLAYMODE LIGHTMAP_OFF LIGHTMAP_ON LOD_FADE_CROSSFADE LOD_FADE_PERCENTAGE NIGHTSKY_OFF NIGHTSKY_ON POINT POINT_COOKIE RTP_PM_SHADING RTP_POM_SHADING_HI RTP_SIMPLE_SHADING SHADOWS_CUBE SHADOWS_DEPTH SHADOWS_NATIVE SHADOWS_NONATIVE SHADOWS_OFF SHADOWS_SCREEN SHADOWS_SINGLE_CASCADE SHADOWS_SOFT SHADOWS_SPLIT_SPHERES SOFTPARTICLES_OFF SOFTPARTICLES_ON SPOT SUIMONO_CAUST_ON SUIMONO_DYNREFL_ON SUIMONO_FOAM_ON SUIMONO_REFL_COLOR SUIMONO_REFL_CUBE SUIMONO_REFL_OFF SUIMONO_REFL_SKY SUIMONO_TESS_ON SUIMONO_TRANS_ON UNITY_COLORSPACE_GAMMA UNITY_HDR_ON UNITY_UI_ALPHACLIP USKY_HDR_OFF USKY_HDR_ON USKY_MAPPING_POLAR USKY_MAPPING_RECTANGULAR VERTEXLIGHT_ON _AFS_DEFERRED _AFS_GRASS_APPROXTRANS _ALPHABLEND_ON _ALPHAPREMULTIPLY_ON _ALPHATEST_ON _DETAIL_MULX2 _DETAIL_OFF _DETAIL_ON _DETAIL_SIMPLE _DETAIL_TEXTURED _DETAIL_TEXTURED_WITH_SPEC_GLOSS _DIRECTSPEC_OFF _DIRECTSPEC_ON _EMISSION _EMISSION_ANIMATED _EMISSION_TEXTURED _EMISSIVENESS_OFF _EMISSIVENESS_ON _GLITTER _IBLDIFF_AMBIENT _IBLDIFF_CUBEMAP _IBLDIFF_SKYSHOPSH _IBLDIFF_UNITYSH _IBLSPEC_OFF _IBLSPEC_ON _LAYERCOUNT_FOUR _LAYERCOUNT_ONE _LAYERCOUNT_THREE _LAYERCOUNT_TWO _LIGHTMAPPING_DYNAMIC_LIGHTMAPS _METALLICGLOSSMAP _NORMALMAP _NORMALMAPS_OFF _NORMALMAPS_ON _OCCLUSION_FROM_ALBEDO_ALPHA _OVERLAYFOG_OFF _OVERLAYFOG_ON _PARALLAXMAP _PARALLAX_MAP _PARALLAX_MAP_2MAPS _PARALLAX_POM _PARALLAX_POM_SHADOWS _PARALLAX_POM_ZWRITE _SNOW_OFF _SNOW_ON _SPECGLOSSMAP _SUNDISK_HIGH_QUALITY _SUNDISK_NONE _SUNDISK_SIMPLE _TERRAIN_NORMAL_MAP _TRANSLUCENCY _TRIPLANAR_WORLD_MAPPING _UVSEC_UV1 _WATER_OFF _WATER_ON _WETNESS_DROPLETS _WETNESS_FULL _WETNESS_NONE _WETNESS_RIPPLES _WETNESS_SIMPLE
    4. UnityEditor.AssetDatabase:ImportAsset(String, ImportAssetOptions)
    5. RTP_LODmanagerEditor:RebuildFeaturesInFile(String, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean, Boolean) (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/RTP_LODmanagerEditor.cs:2478)
    6. RTP_LODmanagerEditor:RefreshFeatures() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/RTP_LODmanagerEditor.cs:1304)
    7. RTP_LODmanagerEditor:OnInspectorGUI() (at Assets/ReliefPack/Editor/ReliefTerrain/RTP_LODmanagerEditor.cs:365)
    8. UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()
    The new ui is confusing, will it always use 2 passes or is there a way to deselect the bottom add 4 layers. Im using no tess, shading options none selected, pom no shadows, uv blend, global colour blend, global normal map, dynamic snopw, sharpen, fake ao, glitter

DX11 Defered/linear with 2 camera setup 1 in defered and 1 in forward

Thanx Jimbob

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  45. tomaszek

tomaszek

I thought new UI is rather simplier. For addpass you can select features needed, but the pass itself is used only when you have 8 layers and first pass doesn't have 8 layers mode selected.

For keywords problem. It's not related to RTP3.3. It's Unity 5.3 which introduced a lot of new internal keywords. RTP itself uses only 5, but I was talking about this many times before. For example on my other thread:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/page-13#post-2479803

You've got installed other packages that require a lot of keywords themselves (like AFS). You need to clean it up, reduce keywords used by hardcoding features, but for RTP thread - sorry I can discuss and solve this problem for everybody, because it's more general Unity problem.

Tom

llJIMBOBll likes this.
  46. llJIMBOBll

llJIMBOBll

Ah thank you, I will look to remove some keywords, I do have AFS. I just updated Uber too for 5.3 :DDD I didn't realize before about having a custom defered shader I followed your instructions . Thanx again. By the way I used Uber and RTP to make my game on steam, I have credited you ingame too. http://store.steampowered.com/app/429490

Thanx Again -Jimbob

edit! Perfect, I delete a load of not used shaders and works perfect Thank you Very Much! I cant recommend Uber & RTP enough, such nice graphics!

Last edited: Jan 27, 2016
  47. Baldinoboy

Baldinoboy

Hey Tom,

That did it. Thanks for the help. Man, POM is something else. Really amazing.

48. ZenMicro

ZenMicro

Hi Tomaszek,

I just updated and i got an error:

Assets/ReliefPack/Scripts/Common/RTPFogUpdate.cs(21,52): error CS1061: Type `RTP_LODmanager' does not contain a definition for `RTP_COLORSPACE_LINEAR' and no extension method `RTP_COLORSPACE_LINEAR' of type `RTP_LODmanager' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

upload_2016-1-28_0-59-31.png

Apologies if this has already been addressed. Also My sand texture especially went all blue and shiny.. so i guess I lost some settings at least. While i am at it, i have had this problem of lines and patchy black Z-Fighting on my textures... but I've been working on other stuff, but the patch did not resolve it, just different.

upload_2016-1-28_1-1-16.png

Thanks man! - You are like Santa Clause for Developers :D - I haven't even started to use all the extra cool stuff, I did do a test with the running water look down my rock textures, amazing... but i'll need to do the mesh creation for small sections i know.

49. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to remove RTP3.2 folder (ReliefPack) before installing RTP3.3. To not loose everything on your settings, try to use preset functionality and save preset .asset file first somewhere beofre deleting ReliefPack folder. You'll need to tweak some parameters again though because I' have simplified some controllers and introduced new PBR callibration per layer panel.

Your black stripes issue looks more like shadows problem. If that's tessellated terrain use "fullforwardshadows" but I believe it's simply too loow bias on Unity light settings. Unfortunately there is not much I can do here, because shadows and lighting is now ultimately on Unity side.

Tom

50. lmtm

lmtm

Hi Tom,

I have project in Unity 5.2 with RTP 3.2 with 12 layers and everything is working fine.

Now I removed RTP 3.2 from my project, I removed RTP_LODmanager and ReliefTerrain script from all my 4 terrains.
    Then I opened "RTP clear" project in Unity 5.3.

Then I installed RTP 3.3. No problems - no errors. All layers are working fine, except Perlin normal.

When I control Perlin normal value from 0.02 to 2, result on any layer is wrong, what means
    that layers are not wrinkly by changing Perlin normal value, but layers are changing
    only from light color to dark color - for example grass layer without perlin is fine
    and with more perlin is layer only darker but no wrinkle.

My settings :
    Setting - Combined textures/Special - set as in 3.2
    Setting - Perlin normal - set as in 3.2
    Setting - Main/Near distances values - set as in 3.2

Perlin in Your demo scene with 8 layers is working fine.

Can You submit, that Perlin is working with 12 layers in RTP 3.3 correctly
    or can You give me some idea what to change to have Perlin working properly?

Thanks,

Milos.