Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. DoubleIsLoveDoubleIsLife

DoubleIsLoveDoubleIsLife

I'm currently using Unity 5.1.1f, and am installing to default location, I do have to import it in small chunks because of crashing, could this cause problems?

also, when I compile or 'refresh all' I get "Error communicating to external source", or something like that, as well as some shader time out errors.

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

How do your grass textures look like ? Seems like they have these dark sides themsleves. It is up to you to provide rtp with plain ones with equalized brightness. With no alpha channel that holds smoothness you will have very glossy output from grass. Take a look at my pdf and videos.

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

So - I have no clue what could be the reason. Looks like troubles with your unity installation. It is first time I see something like this while I sold a lot of rtp. I wish I could help you but your issue seems like related to unity/system/hardware even and not rtp.

4. corjn

corjn

Thanks for the support Tom, gonna try that :)

5. DoubleIsLoveDoubleIsLife

DoubleIsLoveDoubleIsLife

Finally fixed this! I updated Unity to 5.1.2, and re-installed RTP and it works fine now. I have been having problems with my HDD, so I think that could have been causing my issues.

My terrain looks awesome now, I'll definitely be giving this a solid 5 star review!

6. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

@tomaszek
    Can you please tell me wich kind of substances i can use with rtp on terrain with pbr rendering and also how?
    I read somewhere that i only can use non procedural substances but that does not work for me too. I am sure i do something wrong but do not find much about rtp plus substances on terrain with pbr on the web nor in your doc.
    I know i can bake the textures and use them but i would like to play with colors and scales on the terrain to find good values.
    I use the latest unity and rtp versions bute get black terrain parts where i try to use them together.
    I also searched on youtube but do not find a tutorial video there that explained this.

Maybe someone else can help here becouse i am sure i am not the only one who want to use them together.
    I also have bought TerrainComposer so i can follow it over that asset too.

I am not at this stage now with rtp now becouse of just starting to use it but i am interested on how i can make two parts of beach sand. I mean i want one normal, dry sand with little waves and then one part that is wet and every time the water gets back to the sea the wet sand should become a little less wet but more when the next wave come.
    Can i archives this with rtp or do i have to use uber for this wich i now also have?
    Oh and i do not whant to know how to make the textures, just the way i can archive the effect with rtp or uber but can then go to the uber forum thread if this Would be better.

7. Patidinho

Patidinho

Terrain is pink, i got 15 errors saying: Material dosen't have a texture property '_Control' UnityEngine.Terrain:set_materialTemplate(Material)

Regards Patrick

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to be more specific. Rtp3.2g - try 3.2h (has a few improvements). In dx9 you have got limited options since Unity5 moved to Microsoft hlsl compiler it manages temporary registers different way - I asked Unity about it - it can't be solved. Does example scene work on fresh rtp instal in U5.1.1 or U5.1.2 ?. I believe it should. Try to not use 8 layers mode nor triplanar since they seem to be the most temporary registers draining in DX9. Whats your exact setup, esp. In RTP LOD manager ?

Kindest Regards, Tom

9. MichaelSchenck

MichaelSchenck

I have been working with RTP in my game Lost Loot for a while. I recently switched the the latest Oculus 0.6.0.1 runtime and am now working with the native Unity VR support in 5.1.2. Unfortunately with that switch the parallax mapping is now being only calculated once based on the single camera in the native setup or maybe twice but using the main camera position. The previous Oculus integration had two cameras which caused the parallax effect to be rendering properly which looks very nice in VR. Is there any way to get this working again? Internally there are two cameras but how does RTP interact with these to do parallax? Any help would be much appreciated.

10. tomaszek

tomaszek

This is issue related to integrated VR in Unity. They are aware about the issue (shader doesn't have separate cam pos for left and right eye but one instead), but I can't tell when they will fix it. Workaround in shader would be quite nasty to implement and would introduce matrix multiplication inside pixel program reducing performance. That's why I don't even bother. Even if I theoretically can fix things it's insane to make such workarounds as it should be fixed on Unity/VR side.

I have the same problem with my UBER shader package - all beautifull parallax effects (with Z-write even which looks very good - no floating grass and details on the ground) are simply screwed.

Tom

11. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

I am sorry, but i do not find enough information on how to use substances together with rtp like i ask above.
    Can you please tell what rtp expect to find in a self created substance, what we have to do and what rtp do not like?
    In your doc (i hope i do not mix it with other things i found with goole) i read something like it is now easy to work with substances but no other informations on how and so on.

Sadly the unity forum has a not so good search function at the moment and also with google i do not get what i need to make the best out of rtp and self made substances.
    I want to use pbr substances that are made for linear colorspace with the metal way.
    I also get no answer about the wet sand question wich maybe belong more to the uber thread.

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

You put substance material into RTP layer slot. Then you can grab substance output as regular textures. They can't be used fully dynamical way because RTP combines textures for subsequent layers to save resources (we can use limited number of textures in shader). But this still can be useful. You can tweak substance material and grab again textures in RTP inspector - it's placed in layer settings below these 3 slots for color/normal/height maps.

Metallic setup - that's not the way RTP's PBR works. It's more like in Unity's terrain standard shader with smoothness data stored in detail color A cahnnel. There is no metallic maps available. It's more like specular output but you can control color of specular color by detail color tint slider.

Tom

13. AndreyO

AndreyO

Hello Tomasz. I have the same shader compiler error mentioned in this post.

"Shader error in 'Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FirstPass': Surface shader Input structure needs INTERNAL_DATA for this WorldNormalVector or WorldReflectionVector usage at line 605 (on d3d11)".

The error appears when DX11 tessellation feature with "full shadow pass enabled" used in combination with Water/wetness with "Caustics" enabled.

I'm using:
    RTP 3.2
    Windows 8

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

I will take a look at this and try to provide quick fix when I find the issue.

Tom

15. tomaszek

tomaszek

OK, I'm able to reproduce the issue, but I'm pretty sure I fixed this already (have even comments in the code where it has been fixed). Probably Unity changed something for surface shader compilation in newest release and it again breaks... :(. Need to find a way to manage the bug. It's only present when any of feature that needs vertical direction (snow, water, caustics) is enabled and Unity makes automatic shadow pass for the shader.

Tom

16. kilju

kilju

hello guys. is it possible to add more than 8 layers?
    im trying to do really big open world so 8 splat textures aint really enought.
    if it is the case that u can only use 8 textures does anybody know anykind of workaround?

Last edited: Aug 2, 2015
  17. AndroidWG

AndroidWG

Hi Tom,
    So I've just set up a new scene, imported a terrain from World Machine and set up RTP. The shaders work (I can se the perlin noise and all that stuff), but I can't paint the terrain. I select the layer in Unity's default terrain system and the blue brush appears when I move the mouse over the terrain, but when I click, nothing happens. The texture doesn't change, nothing. Also, if I try to paint the terrain right after I click Refresh All button, Unity freeze for a few seconds, but still nothing happens.

I'm using Unity 5.1.0f3, RTP 3.2 and Windows 10. Note: After Win 10 update, it worked all fine.

18. tomaszek

tomaszek

So - does it work or not in the end ? If you can't paint the terrain while showup RTP shader it might mean problem in Unity terrain system itself. Or try to update Unity to the newest U5.1.2f1 and newest RTP3.2h - should work.

You can use 12 layers, but not in deferred (8layers in first pass, 4 in addpass). It's not adisable though for performance reasons. Rather use grouping. Split your world into moultiple terrains which don't use more than 8 layers per terrain at once. It is possible in RTP with grouping to use different setup (different textures) on separate terrain objects when you place them in under different transform parrents.

Tom

19. kilju

kilju

ok really nice to hear :) how i will do this? because im using terrain composer and it make all terrain files in same parent.

20. Porto881

Porto881

I bought TC and RTP3 yesterday and after watching the tutorials I feel incredibly lost. Will there be any new tutorials that explain things step by step on how to use the two together because I have no idea on how to make things work...

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP and TC are independent products. What TC helps with RTP setup is filling in detail textures (color with gloss, normal, heightmap) textures + global maps like global colormap and global normalmap.

Go thru TC to feel comfortable on how to manage your terrains . It will take a while, you can't expect you get all basic ideas in 1 day.

Go thru RTP pdf documentation and videos (firt steps at least)

Then you'll realise how to use them together. TC can make and manage terrain(s). RTP renders terrains' surface. So - even manually you can setup RTP when a terrain with 4/8 layers is ready. You don't need to use RTP integration helpers in TC if you feel lost. For RTP it's like - ready made terrain you can change shading model to be more advanced. My PDF - go thru it as this will probably save you alot of frustration as well.

Tom

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

In case of TC - I'm not sure how to automaticaly solve this behavior (parenting all terrain tiles in one anchor). You can do grouping step after your environment is ready. This means TC terraincreating process is done and you setup your world with RTP (mean some manual work with textures assignment though).

Tom

23. kilju

kilju

ok thank you really much :D

24. Jack Ryan Carter

Jack Ryan Carter

Hello,

I bought your extension today, but it does not work, I have this. according to instructions from the PDF Then I thought maybe I did something wrong and have your Demoscene open the same problem, on this screenshot you can see well.

I have a Nvidia Geforce 540M DirectX 11 and staff of Unity. 5

Should it not be solved please contact me by e-mail or I will send the order no to cause a repayment.

Have a nice day

screen.png

25. Jack Ryan Carter

Jack Ryan Carter

Hello There,

I have found the error, my system probably does not support Shader right, I knew not, can you give me to refund the amount that would be nice.

26. tomaszek

tomaszek

I also have 540M in my laptop and RTP works. Specify me Your Unity version, RTP version (assume newest RTP3.2h) and give me output on console from compiled shaer. Find ReliefTerrain-FirstPass.shader and give me output in its inspector - should have the errors listed and the reason it doesn't work for you.

Tom

27. Jack Ryan Carter

Jack Ryan Carter

Shader error in 'Relief Pack / GeometryBlend_PM_HB_COMPLEX': failed to open source file: 'Assets / Relief Pack / shader / CustomLightingLegacy.cginc' at line 167 (on D3D11)

Compiling Vertex Program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF FOG_EXP2 RTP_PM_SHADING

Shader error in 'Relief Pack / GeometryBlend_BumpedDetailSnow': failed to open source file: 'Assets / Relief Pack / shader / CustomLightingLegacy.cginc' at line 110 (on D3D11)

Compiling Vertex Program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_SCREEN LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF FOG_EXP2 RTP_PM_SHADING

Hader error in 'Relief Pack / ReliefTerrain2GeometryBlendBase': failed to open source file: './../RTP_Base.cginc' at line 452 (on D3D11)

Unity 5.1.2f1 Personal

Recompile the shaders for give feature set shows no reaction

these errors occur also in the Example Scene is on board

28. MichaelSchenck

MichaelSchenck

Thanks for update. I assumed it was something with the dual cameras. I really hope they fix this because these kinds of effects are so cool in VR. I also can imagine it causing problems elsewhere.

On a side note I was wondering if you are going to release any of the underwater effects in the RTP 3 video?

Is the effect of the waves on the beach and water visible as the waves exposing the beach something that is possible now? Do you have any samples with it setup? I would very much like to look at getting that working for Lost Loot at some point, depending on the effort. I am currently using the Water 4 system.

29. tomaszek

tomaszek

Shaders haven't compiled because path to include file doesn't work. Have you installed this in default location (Assets/Relief Pack) ?

Your error for first shader (GeometryBlend_PM_HB_COMPLEX) looks weird as include directive looks like this in the shder code:

Code (csharp):
    1. #include "Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/CustomLightingLegacy.cginc"
    while in your output we/ve got lowercase "shader" in path instead of "Shaders". Have you tweaked by hand the shader compiler output when copying/pasting here ?

What's the output for ReliefTerrain-FirstPass.shader ? It should find RTP_Base.cginc file definitely (they are in the same folder with no need to specify relative path for #include keyword).

Tom

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

We started with Water4 and tweaked its code to get desired result, fog, custom postFX for rays underwater. To sync water from RTP on the shore place floating object on the water (might need some effort to get position of water for given world XZ point - reverse engineer vertex shader code from Water4). then you can use this object Y position to modulate water level as RTP parameter. Thet's the way it's done in the showcase.

Tom

31. Jack Ryan Carter

Jack Ryan Carter

Hello

the errors which I have copied from your Examplescene are, but exactly the same in new projects.

I'm going to find another way, obviously has something to do with unity.

If you are friendly and nice I would be happy about a refund, you have to decide, I will no longer use Unity, therefore, not your plugin.

32. tomaszek

tomaszek

Need to contact me in private via forum with order number and purchase date + your email so I can attach it when requesting a refund on behalf of you from AssetStore.

Tom

33. Porto881

Porto881

I tried to follow the tesselation tutorial:
    but when I get to around 1:10 and choose Tesselation/phong and then recompile shaders my whole terrain gets flat and pitch black. What is wrong? I have the latest versions of everything.

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

Do you use dynamnic snow, water or caustics ? If so there is problem with full forward shadows option. Unity has bug in surface shader compiler which I'm trying to find a workaround for.

Focus on ReliefTerrain-FirstPass.shader and give me errors listed in shader inspector.

Tom

35. Porto881

Porto881

I have no snow, water or anything else, just a random terrain generated in TC. I tried unchecking every shader except first pass and far distance that wouldn´t uncheck but as soon as i check tesselation/phong and height&normal from texture and hit recompile shaders the terrain goes black and flat, if i uncheck tesselation and height&normal and recompile again everthing goes back to normal.

36. tomaszek

tomaszek

Have you provided height&normalmap in RTP/Global maps tab ? If it's not present your terrain will be flat (not displaced) and might be black because normals are empty. Try to enable the same in LOD manager for fresh project, RTP imported on RTP's example scene and compare.

Tom

37. soldier11213048

soldier11213048

Hi tomaszek
    I'm get one problem when import sbsar file into layer slot like the picture below.
    upload_2015-8-4_23-35-42.png

the error like below
    upload_2015-8-4_23-36-43.png

My unity version is 5.1.0f3 Pro
    My Substance Designer Version is 5.0.3
    the Relief Terrain version is 3.2
    I'm sure that the sbsar file's format is set RAW like the picture below
    upload_2015-8-4_23-39-47.png

the sbsar file had upload, could you help me?
    Thanks.

Attached Files:

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi, good you found this bug just before I submited new update today :).

find such line ReliefTerrainEditor.cs:

Code (csharp):
    1. orig_path=AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(_target.Substances[n])+"/";
    and replace with this:

Code (csharp):
    1. orig_path=System.IO.Directory.GetParent(AssetDatabase.GetAssetPath(_target.Substances[n]))+"/";
    Tom

hopeful likes this.
  39. tomaszek

tomaszek

OK, RTP3.2i submitted. Above error should be solved - for tessellation with shadow caster and feature like snow/water or caustics. Fixed also this bug with texture aquisition from substance for meshes (where path for saving texture was badly taken). Fixed also a glitch with LOD manager which doesn't manage shaders right on systems with CR+LF line endings.

Tom

40. Porto881

Porto881

Yes i provided the height&normal that is generated with Window/Relief Tools/prepare height&normal.

41. MichaelSchenck

MichaelSchenck

This can be fixed now according to Unity - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/re...ax-effect-with-native-vr.344239/#post-2235616. I hope this is sufficient to make it work and if not there probably should be some additional feedback to the Unity VR devs.

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

Could you give me your Unity version (with RTP version). I check this often before release new update. On fresh project my example scene recompiled with tessellation should work out of the box with tesssellation (there is included texture for heights&normals).

Tom

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

44. Porto881

Porto881

RTP 3.2h and Unity 5.1.1f1. I don´t think there is any problems with your software though I think it´s me that do something wrong with this. I followed the tutorial and tried recreating what you do but as soon as I try to recompile shaders my terrain becomes flat and black. The RTP example-scene works fine.

45. tomaszek

tomaszek

But what I'm refering to is make fresh project, install newest RTP, open example scene (terrain), in LOD manager there turn on tessellation (with texture, don't turn on detail displacement nor full shadow pass), recompile shaders. Tell me the result on your side. Is that what you've tried ?

Tom

46. soldier11213048

soldier11213048

47. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can't open your link. I guess it might be related to different mobile texture format. In such case you'd need to export textures directly from your sbsar (option available on the small gearbox icon in the substance component inspector header).

RTP on mobile - it is possible but need GLES3 compliant device. I'll doing RTP for mobile as separate product (limitedfeatures but hopefully working on GLES2 too).

Tom

48. soldier11213048

soldier11213048

Tom, I'd exported textures directly from my sbsar, But it's stll dark in my mobile.
    The reason might be that my mobile is GLES2 device as you said.
    I really expect the RTP product which surport GLES2, How long dose it release?

49. tomaszek

tomaszek

I have no schedule on this, but hopefully this year.

Tom

50. imDanOush

imDanOush

@tomaszek I am creating an island in 3DS Max, I want to use this asset in future when the island creation is done but I have vital questions here, would you answer please?

1) Should I assign materials, textures or UVs to the terrain of my 3D island in 3DS Max or should I do so with this asset in Unity3D when the island creation in 3DS Max is done?

2) Is there any tips and recommendation related to creating the terrain in 3DS Max, so that your asset work better and gets better result?