Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. TheDevGuy

TheDevGuy

Massive issues with this on latest version and new buyer. Followed 1st video tutorial but am getting black terrain and console errors. Also latest version of unity.

I can screenshare if that would make it easier to see whats going on because im getting over 15 errors and obvious editor issues/settings issues.

Please help, thank you! Looking forward to using this tool.

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

Thanks for posting the solution. I was mentioned a few times before, but the thread has its traffic and solutions often get unnoticed. You're perfectly ritght and this is actually RTP fault. I put wrong conditional compilation directive in ReliefTerrain.cs so, for U5.1 and higher I don't set custom material in script. Will post the fix in next udpate but I wait for a moment, because apparently something wrong happened to RTP with U5.1.1p2 I need to check it first (vetting update on AssetStore can take up to 3 weeks even...). Anyway - every new Unity release is a bit stressful event for me...

Tom

3. tomaszek

tomaszek

Unity version is ? I assume you've got RTP3.2g. Set custom material in Unity terrain settings as posted above. Then - in deferred attach script that's present on my main directional light (look at my example scene). Can you check if RTP example scene works for you on fresh project ?

Tom

4. snacktime

snacktime

So I looked into this myself today. A quick fix is to make an editor script that calls EditorUtility.UnloadUnusedAssetsImmediate(). Then save the scene. That will clean up at least some stuff.

The file size issue is two things. One, even without bugs storing images in the scene results in them being serialized as plaintext YAML. My RTP scene is 76mb, and compresses to 18mb with 7zip. 99% of that is image references.

As for textures not unloading, some of this is just multiple references to the same texture. Glancing through my scene file YAML I'm seeing what looks like quite a bit of this. If you have multiple objects all referencing the same texture, it's going to serialize the texture in whole multiple times. Unity also has some bugs here that I'm guessing are related to the flat structure they use. Normally you would have components being children of a game object, and properties being children of the component. But they use their own system for tracking this instead of creating hierarchies, which logically would be a lot more error prone when it comes to dangling references. That's my best guess after looking at their YAML structure.

The only way to combat this effectively is completely separate the UI from your data, and store heavy data outside the scene in asset files. The UI should be something you can load and leave in the scene while developing, but unload entirely when you do a build. That's a huge pain but long term it's the only way to actually solve the problem.

For example with RTP it might work better to not have ReliefTerrain component on the gameobject that contains the terrain. Then you could load the UI by creating new gameobjects just for ReliefTerrain, and destroy them when you want to unload the UI. Now that's a lot of work and I'm not saying I expect Tom to just go rewrite it all. This is mainly a future reference/FYI post on what's happening underneath and how to avoid these issues.

tomaszek likes this.
  5. tomaszek

tomaszek

Thank you for looking into this issue. Seems like a thing that could be solved with any quick bugfix in RTP though :(.

I can call EditorUtility.UnloadUnusedAssetsImmediate() after saving textures to pngs (so they are not scene objects referenced by ReliefTerrain script anymore). That should help a bit as far as you said.

Tom

6. jalapen0

jalapen0

Hello Tom,

Things are blending now after your help. Thank you. Now I have another question, related to blending. Is there a way to modify how it blends? In otherwords, if you look at the screenshot below, you can see that it blends but it is very abrupt. Is there a way to stretch it out or fade it out over a bit further distance to make it blend a little nicer? I'd like it to look more like the second image. Thanks!

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you follow my guidelines it's either your detail heightmap for sand that's pretty dark with only small stones present there or terrain coverage texture issue. Try to paint it manually at the edge of blending layers - Unity is supposed to have it managed correctly (alphamap coverage textures)

Tom

8. jalapen0

jalapen0

Yup, you are right. Changing up the heightmaps a bit is causing it to blend better.

9. ntwinter

ntwinter

Hi Tomaszek.
    I'm getting a console error 'RGBM2RGB' does not contain a definition for 'titleContent' and no extension method 'titleContent' of type 'RGBM2RGB' could be found.
    Currently running the latest Unity and RTP with TerrainComposer.
    Not sure why the error occurs?
    Also getting: Type 'SampleTerrainHeightmap2Texture' does not contain a definition for 'titleContent' and no extension method 'titleContent' of type 'SampleTerrainHeightmap2Texture' could be found.
    Thanks.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2015
  10. ksam2

ksam2

There is a problem! I'm using a 4 tiles terrain but when I use "Height&normal from texture" the edge of terrains will not match together. like below pic we can see a big gap between terrains.

11. tomaszek

tomaszek

Lastest RTP version I've submitted I changed window .title to title content because U5.1(.1) introduced new scripting here and old one got deprecated. So - if you've got error here that means you probably don'r run U5.1. What's exactly the Unity version you've got ?

You can fix it manually - change .titleContent.text with .title - that's how it worked in previous Unity versions.

Tom

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

If you used my utility to make the height&normal texture it should work, but you need to remember to set adjanced terrains with Terrain.SetNeighbors() function. If you use tool like Terrain Composer it should make it for you. If not - you need to make it yourself thru script. It's because adjanced terrains must share mesh normals at edge.

Tom

13. ksam2

ksam2

I'm using Terrain Composer and it's work good before I use height&normal texture. I make height&normal texture with your utility.

1- I've created a 4 tiles terrain with terrain composer
    2- Set RTP and everything looks good
    3- but after using height&normal texture (created with your RTP utility) terrains edges looks like that.

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Could you the edges of textures for adjanced terrains ? Border pixels of textures for adjanced terrains should the same. Are textures set wrap mode to clamp ? Could you close-up with wire frame for adjanced terrains - I'm trying think what could get wrong, because I've tested this functionality many times before for multiterrain setup and it just worked. No other users complained while I know at least a few of them use this feature extensively.

Tom

ksam2 likes this.
  15. ksam2

ksam2

Weird. Ok I'll create a new project and new terrain to see if there is any way to solve that problem.

But I have a new question. I want to create a big map maybe as big as GTA V! but when I use"height&normal from texture" frame rate decrease from 40 to 8. (in a medium terrain) . is there any advise how can I use height&normal on big terrains?

Because I've mentioned there is no way to use height&normal on real big terrains. but maybe there is any trick we can do to solve this limitation

16. tomaszek

tomaszek

Theoretically it should actually work faster - releasing CPU, but remember to increase pixel error (you can set it to max or even use separate terrain to only visualize its surface while you use second terrain to show foliage and to act as collider). Don't set tessellation factors too high - pixel size triangles in are no good. Keep them as large as visually possible. What's your GPU ? Not all SM5 GPUs are much tessellation friendly. Like built in Intel HD ones (like mine :) )

Tom

ksam2 likes this.
  17. DivergenceOnline

DivergenceOnline

I'm glad the issue is getting some attention but you have to understand, as i'm constantly reminding people it seems, there are a lot more disciplines in the game industry than programming, and thus this kind of stuff might as well be greek because it doesn't mean a thing to designers such as myself.

Is there a fix incoming for RTP or not?

18. ksam2

ksam2

tomaszek

I figure out what causes my previous problem. when I enable "Texture above bicubic filtering" in LOD manager terrains edges doesn't match each others but when I turn it of then there is no gap anymore.

Is there anyway to solve that? or should I turn that off? without this option tessellation doesn't looks good.

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

Can't be solved by any simple switch setting in RTP currently. If you can have terrain heightmap resolution a bit higher to produce height&normal texture - go for it (remember about performance guidelines above). This will also smooth a bit yout terrain.

Tom

ksam2 likes this.
  20. jalapen0

jalapen0

Hey Tom,

For testing purposes, is there a way to turn off heightblending? I would like to test alpha blend. Also, is there a way to multiply the global color map further? (past 1)

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

No heightblending - nope.
    Look into ReliefTerrainEdtiro.cs and find the right place to change the range of global colormap multiplication value (just CTRL+F for slider label and you will find the line of code with range at the end of it).

Tom

22. jalapen0

jalapen0

Ok got it. I guess I will probably need to manually fix the blending with terrain tools. I've done what you mentioned. Toyed with heightmaps and I've left the seetings the same from when you worked on it. It's just not blending as well as I would like. Probably using an image to apply the textures wasnt the best idea but the world is just too big and my time too small to do it any other way.

Any recomended texture painting assets I could buy that might be easier than unity's built in stuff? Then I'll crank through it. Thanks!

23. ntwinter

ntwinter

Hi Tom,

Thanks for your previous prompt reply to me.
    I wonder if you could help me with another issue I'm having. Now - I can't say for certain whether this is RTP or TerrainComposer...
    I'm getting what appears to be clipping on all of my cameras including the Scene camera, of the base texture image. I've been following the PDF for the 24hour Demo for the setup and reached the Splat Map stage. Once generated, this is what happened. No console errors present.
    (Unity 5.1.1f1)

Attached Files:

24. mite51

mite51

Hello.. I was playing around with ShaderOnTriplanarMesh example scene and if I try to enable #define RTP_USE_COLOR_ATLAS everything just goes grey. I've tried to put in an LOD manager and messed with the settings concerning color atlas but nothing seems to get anything diffuse color at all. Any clues as to what I might be missing?

25. k-i-a

k-i-a

Hi Tom,

I have a big unity terrain(made with world and terrain composer), using RTP, and I need to add on top of it an arbitrary mesh I have to model in maya, that goes along the whole terrain.
    My need is to have an RTP shader that allow me to have the underlying terrain look.

it seems to me I need to vertex paint my new mesh with at least 4 layers (albedo,spec, normal, height maps for each layer) to create a nice look and fit the unity terrain nice and natural variation.

geometryBlend_2PM_vertexPaint_HB is the closest solution but it has only 2 layers :(

can you help me?
    I really thank you in advance :) for the support you are giving us and for this great shaders :)

Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  26. OneManStoryBook

OneManStoryBook

Hi I couldnt see if this has been asked but how do I set up my texture to look wet with the flowing water like in the example pics?

27. tomaszek

tomaszek

As the border is rounded it seams that it has something to do with RTP settings, not aseMap distance (that might be affected by TC). Basemap distance is set by RTP depending on mode ued and number of layers. Sometimes it need to be set at infinity, sometimes at small value (lie near distance in RTP), sometimes at 0 when I can't use close distance shader - it's case in Unity5 and 8 layers mode.

My first guess is probably you set "no detail color at far distance" switch in LOD manager but you don't have global colormap texture assigned. At closer distance I see satellite image - fields which are probably st as your detail texture with very large tiling (to span over whole terrain). This is not how RTP would use it. Satellite image should be use as global colormap while detail maps are close up ones - like grass, soil, sand, rocks, etc.

LOD manager doesn't control (anyway is not supposed to) standalone shader features - you set in shader code like you probably did, but you need to use RTP on terrain to produce atlas, save it to png file and use in material atlas slot for standalone triplanar (name of property is _SplatAtlasA - by default commented out because we use separate detail textures in the sahder ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone).

Have you tried ReliefTerrainPMStandalone_geomblend.shader or ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone_geomblend.shader

?

Check your detail glossiness. Alpha channel of detail texture is supposed to have smoothness data. If this is void (DXT1 with no alpha) would produce extremely glossy look. Refer to my PBR videos, starting with this first one:

Tom

28. k-i-a

k-i-a

Hi Tom
    this is what I was looking for :p

I am trying using ReliefTerrainPMStandalone_geomblend but there is a problem with tiling setting. I change their values but they are not updating on the scene.

29. k-i-a

k-i-a

I have found how to update the geometry blend tiling

selecting the terrain under the geometry blend object
    opening the terrain rtp material in the inspector...
    going to settings, main... main settings..tile size... changing this value have updated the geometry blend object tiling... I have re-set the previous parameter.

30. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can use triplanar version, or fix something I missed in regular one (use it preferably, because triplanar cost higher on GPU load). Replace this line (24th I guess it is in your RTP version):

Code (csharp):
    1. _TERRAIN_ReliefTransform ("Tiling (XY), offset (ZW)", Vector) = (1,1,0,0)
    with this:

Code (csharp):
    1. _TERRAIN_ReliefTransformTriplanarZ ("Tile size", Float) = 3
    Named "triplanarZ" but this is actual tiling size used in non triplanar shader as well.

Your trick might also work because when there is no property defined in material global value is used by shader and this is probably what RTP sets in your setup. With the fix above you'll be able to select different tile size for geom blend shader.

ATB, Tom

31. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

Is there any good in-depth documentation or video tutorials on using RTP with Terrain Composer? I have my Terrain Composer all set up and am now trying to learn RTP with it but I am unable to manipulate any of the textures with the perlin or UV settings, for example. Moving the sliders has no effect.

32. k-i-a

k-i-a

thanks.
    yes I want to keep all easyer and lighter in terms of calculation as possible

using the paint tool I have a problem with vertex channels.
    I have 4 layers and 4 painting channels (RGBA) but I must use A for the geometry blend.
    in the inspector appears this note: mesh blend uses A channel. you might use different if you'd like to paint another material properties.
    How do I set this other use and how it works?

I have an other issue.
    using on the geom_blend the same textures on layers as on the terrain RTP shader... I find some difficulties to match the same spec result.
    I must set 0 on spec and 0 gloss on geom blend and 1 in layer brightness to have the same result (in the terrain I have spec 1 and gloss 1 and layer brightness 1)

same with uvblend brightness... to match it on geom blend I set 0, on terrain is 1... and on geom blend it is too bright

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

Check if your material type in Unity terrain settings is set to Custom (glitch in RTP3.2g - will submit fix soon RTP3.2h). Nat has some on this I believe - look for his movies.

Tom

34. Jarek-Defiler

Jarek-Defiler

Thanks for your reply. Ok, I set the terrain material to custom and now one layer is dominating everything, but I'm able to tweak the settings now. So I just to figure out how to get the original splat layout back up, which shouldn't be too hard. Time to tinker! :D Thanks again!

35. ntwinter

ntwinter

Hi Tom,

I've noted that under Unity's Terrain settings the material is set to "Built in Standard". Am I correct in thinking this should in fact be "Custom"? If I do change it to custom it resolves the issue of the 'clip' but the colormap is not displayed clearly. It seems that I am seeing the splat maps coloured by the colour map only, even at far distance when I would expect to see the splats fade and reveal the colormap at far distance.
    Below is a screen shot of the settings and scene view...

Screen02.jpg

Ahh - I see the post above regarding custom material!

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  36. mite51

mite51

That made sense and I did get it working... thanks. After I got it working I realized it wasn't quite what I needed. I was hoping that the color atlas meant the vertex color would select the material blend for a particular vertex. I have made my own voxel based naive surface net mesh builder, and what I would like is a TriPlanar shader that can blend between multiple textures... probably via the vertex color data.

"ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone_geomblend", looked promising, but it only shows up as purple, which I take to mean the shader failed to compile. From what I can tell there are 5 errors, all "maximum temp register index exceeded"... I tried to add "#pragma profileoption NumTemps=64" but that didn't seem to help. I did manage to get "ReliefTerrainPMStandalone_geomblend" working, but it lacks the TriPlanar blending.

I'm not entirely sure how to fix the "maximum temp register index exceeded" errors. Can you offer any assistance?

Tethys likes this.
  37. tomaszek

tomaszek

To cover with 4th texture I use unnormalized output (unlike the Unity terrain). Simply I need A channel free - can't be overcome. So let's say (1,0,0,0) means first layer coverage (0.5,0.5,0,0) measn - 50/50 for 1st and 2nd. But when they don't sum to 1 (100%) I cover with 4th texture. So - set your RGB channels to A/3 and leave Alpha for blending purposes. That is - "lack" of RGB means 4th channel coverage. When R+G+B=0 we have full 4th channel coverage. At this point, indeed - there is no convinient way in geom blend vertex painter to do this unles you just draw RGB channels with SHIFT (to set them to zero) to see 4th layer appear. You would need to use a custom vertex painter for this or make a script that converts RGBA coverage (normalized) into RGB unnormalized. As I said - algorithm is simple:

1. Take A
    2. Multiply R by (A / 3)
    3. Multiply G by (A / 3)
    4. Multiply B by (A / 3)
    5. play with A via geom blend script (to control blending)

Your doubts about ranges - you're right - they can be displayed different in custom RTP editor and in material inspector for standalone, so a bit of tweaking is necessary to get right results.

Tom

38. tomaszek

tomaszek

With some tweaking you can get decent results with global colormap set to multiply. Other options in LOD manager are - set global colormap blending mode to fade. On close distance you'll will to set the blending to low value, at far distance - to 1 (100%) then global colormap will replace completely details. But yet another option available is to tell RTP - don't use detail textures at far distance - "no detail color at far distance" checkbox. This will put global colormap (satellite) at distance regardless of blending values.

Tom

39. k-i-a

k-i-a

I now understand the "strange" behaviour while testing some vertex painting.

mmh I am not really able to write scripts eheheh

to make things easy I could switch to 3 textures to be very easy to vertex paint... and I can split the mesh materials so to have 2 materials on the same mesh, each with 3 textures! is that correct?
    it could be useful because it allows to have 2 physics materials setting.
    and if I need some extra detail in some place I can add an other geometry blend object.

thank you again Tom.

40. camel82106

camel82106

Hello,
    are you please playing with 5.2.0Beta1?

From release notes:
    Shaders: Changed UnityGlobalIllumination, Unity_GlossyEnvironment, FragmentGI function signatures. If you have custom shaders that use Unity's PBR please check UnityGlobalIllumination.cginc, UnityStandardBRDF.cginc, UnityStandardCore.cginc respectively

Does RTP work with this version? I get too light terrain under 5.2
    And lighting looks little off. What I may await?

I like to try newest version of course incompatibility of plugins is a awaited tradeoff. Still I have bigger chance for resolving bugs while in beta stage.

Thanks
    Peter

41. stationx

stationx

sooo...how do we get this with Unity and RTP??
    I mean, we got the textures, the RTP tool, the GI, even the tessellation..and yet...this video seems unreachable to create with Unity...
    So, is this doable with RTP newest version?

42. tomaszek

tomaszek

Not recheable with RTP alone, but if mess around with some water solution (on the video - it's static however!) I see chances :). If you can put some additional objects like small rocks, good postFX setup - why not ?

Tom

P.S. I don't mean it's simple to do.

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

Will look into this beta later. Official release is September if I'm right. Meantime - I could make it working with beta while Unity change something next week. I had the same with Unity5 release - was nightmare to fix RTP every single beta release. I don't want to go this path again. I will observe it and prepare some steps if needed. I will however make RTP u5.2 compatible when it's on final stage, not sooner.

Tom

44. k-i-a

k-i-a

you must consider the Unity features and limitations.
    I think Tom can't do anything better with Unity engine.

here there is a video from GDC 2015 on how the Epic team have created this kind of rock assets.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?t=1138&v=clakekAHQx0

it's a very interesting video.
    they explain all lighting rendering techniques the Unreal Engine 4 has to make this super realistic env.
    Epic worked for months with a dedicated team of 12 super skilled people.

maybe Unity is more indie teams oriented, so in the same time they need to develop a whole game :)

45. camel82106

camel82106

Thanks for Your statement explained. I will stay with 5.1 for development and just make experiments on latest beta.
    Regards
    Peter

46. derkoi

derkoi

Hi Tom, I'm using RTP with your Uber shaders and using the Uber Global Params to control the Snow, wetness and rain. How can I hook RTP up to those global params please? Thanks

47. stationx

stationx

Actually, this video is not from the kite demo. It is a one man band tech demo and those are all textures with high tesselation....(except the big rock in the background which is an asset from the kite demo)
    Just want to see how far we can push the unity engine along with RTP. But the Uber shader is getting pretty close to this i think!

48. tomaszek

tomaszek

Rtp and uber work separately. In rtp you need to set the snow level separately and it is managed globally. Simply uber uses new snow implementation. I am working on global dynamic weather controller for uber now. With a few sliders you can modify fall intensity, wind (drying surface), temperature and time scale. I would like to put this for upcoming update.

hopeful likes this.
  49. mite51

mite51

I'm not sure if my question was just too dumb to warrant a response or the "ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone_geomblend" and "ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone" both don't quite do what I need. In any case I have made my own bare bones TriPlanar mapping shader that uses the vertex color to blend up to 4 textures. I would much rather use your package with all the bells and whistles.

Here's what mine looks like.... With RTP "ReliefTerrainPMTriplanarStandalone" ( even with RTP_USE_COLOR_ATLAS defined ) it seems it maps more like an environment map. What I mean by that is the diffuse texture used is based on the normal. What I would like is to have somethings ( probably the color channel ) control the diffuse texture then use only that texture for TriPlanar mapping.

TriPlanar.png

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi, comment out define for automatic coverage from global/local normal of object. Then you can paint vertex colors. Look at the beginning of the shader code - just below the material properties. If you enable/disable some properties you might need to uncomment some material properties of currently unused (turned off in #defines section) properties.

The #defines section is fully commented - look there for description of switch meaning.

Tom