Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Autarkis

Autarkis

Hey Tomasz,
    After upgraded to 5.1 ( and now 5.1.1) and having the latest 3.2g, i'm still getting weird issues on the geom blend objects. It looks like what should be with some sort of opacity on the RTP_blend_underlying sub object isnt working on all meshes ( some are fine in the project, some arent?)
    Pretty annoying as you can expect ( i doubled checked the terrainrelief script, and the change from nonpublic to public is there). Also tried reimporting RPT 3.2g and recompiling the shaders.. but nothing is getting me out of this jam. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

Somebody reported me on that when using StandardShader with geom blend feature. It looks like transparency on overlying object is not working properly. It's either always fully opaque (no blend available then) or full transparent (we see only the underlyint terrain-like object). Could you try with another geom blend shader ? This would make me sure there's an issue with my tweaked standard geom-blen shader.

Tom

P.S. I might be not available for next 3 days due to Unite Europe.

3. MS80

MS80

I have the same issue with geometry blend! It happens with the other blend shaders as well!

4. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Hi, I'm fairly new to RTP, I'm currently trying to use a splatmap to set the textures of my landscape, but it isn't working as expected.
    I used the free version of Terragen to create the hightmap and the splatmap (but since there aren't any builtin tools to create and export such maps (which I ofcourse first discovered after having created the map) I had to be a little creative. I also had to retouch the maps in Pixlr afterwards just to get the colours right etc.
    But as you can see here it just doesn't look right.

editorView.png
    This is what it looks like in the inspector
    InspectorView.png

And these are the two images I use the splatmap and the heightmap just for reference. The x on them was just to help me orient them correctly as their positions and rotations for some reason were completely messed up when they were both the same rotation etc.

SplatMap.png Heightmap.png

Can anyone tell me what I'm doing wrong?
    That said all the example projects look amazing, and when I'm not using splatmaps but just playing around with brushes on my own it also looks pretty good, this whole splatmap thing is just confusing the hell out of me.

5. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Perhaps I should just point out what is messed up (clearly the positions, not sure what to do about that though). But my main problem is that the colours on the splatmap aren't bein used correctly.
    Especially the alpha is clearly not snow on the image, also there are weird black spots that I have no idea why are there.
    Grass seems to be in the right place for example. But it's very white, even where it shouldn't be mixed with anything else. If I grab a brush and paint down grass next to it there's a very clear difference between the grass I painted and the grass the splatmap produced, despite the fact that I used the exact same grass layer.

6. wolfybytes

wolfybytes

I've had my eye on this asset for a while, though I wanted to wait until my I was ready to use it in development. Before I do buy it, I have a few questions.
    • Has anyone tried using this on mobile platforms and are there any compatibility issues?
    • Also, how detailed do your base textures need to be? Right now I'm using a single texture stretched over a large terrain. If I were to apply RTP to it, would the perlin noise over the single texture still make it look detailed?
    Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 1.05.55 PM.png Screen Shot 2015-06-23 at 1.06.10 PM.png

7. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

@wolfbrother9393
    As far as I'm aware, what one usually does, is, create a splatmap(an rgb colour map) from the actual diffuse map.
    That way high-detail textures can be applied to the different colours. That would make it more detailed when you zoom in, you then apply noise to make it look good at further distance (like your image number 2), because it breaks up the symmetry of the detailed textures.The detail level of the textures you use really just depends on how close you are to the terrain I suppose.
    I hope this answers at least your last question. I am however very new to RTP so I may be wrong in what I said, but in that case hopefully someone else can set me straight.

Your terrain btw. looks gorgeous, what did you create it in?

wolfybytes likes this.
  8. wolfybytes

wolfybytes

Thank you! I used Real World Terrain which you can buy on the Asset Store. They use Digital Elevation Models from the SRTM database and Google satellite imagery to create accurate and pretty good looking terrains. The main problem I've been having is finding a good way to retexture any of the terrains I make so I can use the detail in the google texture and overlay something else on top of it.

I've thought about splatmapping and looked at some tutorials which used the height to determine the texture color/type but I hadn't looked into using the diffuse map. I'll definitely give that a look.

9. PnW

PnW

I need help. I recently downloaded RTP, and from the looks of what I've seen on the tutorials, it looks like it can do some really amazing things! The only problem, is that when I try do do anything with RTP, following the instructions exactly, nothing happens. It's as if the terrain is not even affected by RTP. I'm using Terrain Composer with it. Could that be part of the problem? Please get back to me as I would really like to figure out what is going on. I want to use this awesome tool.

10. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

@wolfbrother9393
    Ok, that wouldn't work for me (from what I can see), it looks beautiful, but there doesn't really seem to be much control over the terrain.
    Currently I'm considering having a go at World Machine, it doesn't look as impressive as Terragen but at least it can output splatmaps and heightmaps without having to "cheat" (didn't think of checking that when I downloaded Terragen, derp).

I think it's near impossible to convert your current texture into a splatmap exactly due to the lack of control when it uses real world locations as there's no easy way to descern what is what on the image, and clearly going from elevation alone just won't cut it.

But I'm very very new to the world of Terrain generation so I don't know much yet.
    Personally though, I intend to try to create a new terrain in a new tool so I can get the propper splatmap etc.

11. tomaszek

tomaszek

Teila, Karearea, MS80 and 3 others like this.
  12. eskovas

eskovas

That's awesome and VERY generous Tom :)
    I'll be buying it as soon as possible!

Edit: Bought :D

Last edited: Jun 24, 2015
  13. MS80

MS80

Thanks Tom, this is really a great deal!
    => instant upgrade! :) UBER is the new awesome!

14. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Very generous indeed. I'll be buying it when I can afford it.

15. mossyoak

mossyoak

Anyone Please Help. New to RTP here I have set up the shader and it looks amazing. However I am unable to paint textures as needed in specific locations. Is there a setting I may have enabled or disabled? Has anyone else experianced this issue?

16. BreakingPointDev

BreakingPointDev

I've been having this issue with RTP V3.2g. No matter what setting I change in the RTP shaders, textures or anything I can't get RTP to work. I'm only getting Diffuse up close, blurry textures in the distance. All textures are setup correctly exactly as they've been with older versions of RTP and Unity that worked. I've spent hours messing with settings trying to get it to work. Also after recompiling shaders I get these errors. Can you help me get this to work?

Shader warning in 'Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-FirstPass': use of potentially uninitialized variable (_h) at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_Base.cginc(3046) (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF RTP_POM_SHADING_HI

Shader warning in 'Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain2GeometryBlendBase': use of potentially uninitialized variable (_h) at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_Base.cginc(3046) (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with DIRECTIONAL SHADOWS_OFF LIGHTMAP_OFF DIRLIGHTMAP_OFF DYNAMICLIGHTMAP_OFF RTP_POM_SHADING_HI

Shader warning in 'Relief Pack/ReliefTerrain-AddPass': floating point division by zero at Assets/ReliefPack/Shaders/ReliefTerrain/RTP_AddBase.cginc(1269) (on d3d11)

Compiling Fragment program with RTP_PM_SHADING

Attached Files:

17. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

@UnknownDeveloper I'm not so sure about the shader messages, however I've had the exact same problem as you.
    After hours of fiddling I found the solution that worked in my case.
    RTP didn't set the material to Custom, which is required for RTP to work. For me, when I set it to Custom it just worked. (I may have had to recalculate shader or something, I don't remember, but it set the specific material automatically).

upload_2015-6-25_1-27-19.png

18. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I'm still not 100% sure why this didn't work. However it's no longer a problem as I've created a different island, with World Machine, which works great.

upload_2015-6-25_1-31-34.png

19. lazygunn

lazygunn

Definitely get working in your detail textures with whatever maps world machine can spit out for your splats, i find RTP most fun when i'm very close to a surface and getting all that PBR and POM/tess goodness out

I'll give www.gametextures.com another plug here, they're a gift for this kind of thing

20. jalapen0

jalapen0

If I make any changes to settings anywhere run the RTP terrain script, I have to manually click the refresh all button to see any changes. In otherwords, the changes to not update realtime in the scene. Is there something I need to change to fix this? Thanks!

EDIT: nevermind, I had to exit unity and go back in.

21. jalapen0

jalapen0

Got another question instead. What is this and how do I get rid of it? I want the nice sand texture all the way to the camera not this...whatever it is.

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

Looks like perlin noise aaplied. Actually I can't tell how far to the terrain you are. If you're close - it might be super-detail enabled in LOD manager and its value set at high value for this sand texture.

Tom

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Very weird, but it looks like a problem outside RTP,because coverage painting is Unity's functionality, RTP only renders it with the more advanced shader. Could you try to remove Relief Terrain script from your terrain and set terrain material from custom to Unity's built-in (in Unity terrain settings tab). Might be standard one. Then try to paint. We would narrow the problem to RTP or Unity.

Tom

24. tomaszek

tomaszek

Hi, I hope Mr.Logan hint helped you. Warnings are not that crucial, they don't break the shader. It's only HLSL compipler got more picky about the "pureness of shader code". I'm wondering, however, why could you get the bug. I believe I fixed hits in 3.2g. Need to triple-check this again maybe.

Tom

25. tomaszek

tomaszek

Look at the post of Mr. Logan above. I hope this will help you.

In RTP you would use the satellite map as global colormap, so it's presented when you're far away from the terrain. upclose you need to setup splat textures that controls detail maps. It's always a tricky thing to get it matched togeter - detail maps upclose and satellite image faraway. You need to fiddle with global colormap blending distances and parameters and setup detail textures to be as close as possible to what you're actually see on satellite image. I mean - when it's green - it might mean there is a grass there, or trees. Depends on the scale. Anyway - google for World Composer/Terrain Composer on AssetStore and youtube. Nathaniel who made it has very good showcase with flight simulator. mountains look very nice at distance and the same time they look reasonably well at the ground level, too.

Tom

wolfybytes likes this.
  26. MS80

MS80

*bump* ;)

Tom, could you please have a look what happend to the GeometryBlend feature? It seems the issue exists for all blend shaders. Using Unity 5.1.1p1 and RTP 3.2.g

Last edited: Jun 25, 2015
  27. jalapen0

jalapen0

You were absolutely right, thank you.

Another problem that I actually already mentioned, thought I fixed, but now its back. I have to hit "refresh all" under the main settings in order to get any of the sliders changes to show up in the scene. It's really making it difficult to figure out what things do, etc.

I have no errors in the console. I've already reinstalled RTP. Any ideas?

28. tomaszek

tomaszek

Give me Unity version you've got. I remember this problem was already solved (ny my and Unity). Seems like regression with newest Unity probably.

Tom

29. jalapen0

jalapen0

5.1.0p1

30. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

I believe I'm using the newest version of RTP and I have no problem with the shader, it seems to do it's thing as it should (may be different for other people though). You are using a shader like GeometryBlend_PM_HB right?

That said, I'm actually here now also about a problem with the geometry blending feature set.
    I have a runway I'm trying to blend into the terrain, I'd like it to stick out a little, but not a lot. This is the mesh I'm using.
    upload_2015-6-25_14-7-53.png

The ground beneath it is not completely even, but that just adds a bit of character.
    If I click either the "Stick to Blended Object along normals" or the same for downward, the result is something akin to the below.

upload_2015-6-25_14-9-40.png

It's messed up compared to the terrain, and is squashed completely flat, and the distance I set in the inspector makes no difference.

If I click autoblend the entire runway becomes invisible. I really don't know what I'm doing wrong here...
    I "fixed" it by just deleting the mesh and painting a new mesh on the terrain instead of the one I'd modeled. This works for the runway, but I've noticed a new problem now.

upload_2015-6-25_16-0-1.png

Both the runway and the test I made next to it just using a plane have very dark edges where they should be blended. I've tried the same technique on the test scene and there it just works, blending is great, no dark edges etc.

It's almost as if the there's a shadow being cast under the runway, but I don't know if that is the case or it's something else. Has anyone run into anything similar?

31. jalapen0

jalapen0

Ok, it's because I do not have the terrain in the Scene view selected. If I have that terrain selected, then it refreshes fine. So not a huge deal, just something to look out for.

BTW I also tested on 5.1.1p1 and got the same result.

32. RodzGames

RodzGames

Hello, I'm new here and I have some questions.

Is it possible to not use terrain at all and only use custom mesh with this tool? Will I be limited in some aspect?

I really want to paint meshes just like we can paint on terrain. I just want to be sure. Thanks!

33. tomaszek

tomaszek

Dark edges - present in deferred - open shader and change fallback at the end of the code to Fallback Off

Tom

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

You can use RTP on a mesh - there is an exmple scene on this included, but you can't paint "grass, rocks" and so on on this. This is terrain feature. Specificaly - Unity terrain engine which makes then coverage alpha splamap textures as you paint. But I believe there is a solution for this on AssetStore on terrain section. T4M if I remember well, you could try to use it to paint on your mesh but the same time use RTP as shader.

Tom

35. BreakingPointDev

BreakingPointDev

@Mr.Logan
    Thanks, seems like progress, setting it to custom material I can see the perlin and super detail showing up but my terrain is all black now. Not getting my diffuse or ambient lighting. Unity5RTP.jpg

36. Mr-Logan

Mr-Logan

Thank you for the speedy reply, it fixed the problem. =)

37. RodzGames

RodzGames

Thanks, but unfortunately, T4M doesn't work with Unity 5... which is why I checked RTP. Oh well, I'll try to find another solution.

38. snacktime

snacktime

I just upgraded from a couple of minor versions back, and now my basemap is getting reset to 0 all the time. Recompiling/refresh doesn't fix. No idea what is causing this. I'm using 8 layers first pass, tried it without that and still same issue.

39. snacktime

snacktime

Actually, further testing and without 8 layers first pass and basemap gets set to 25.

Why does RTP mess with basemap anyways? Unless there is a really good reason not to, I'm just going to change the RTP code to stop messing with it.

40. RodzGames

RodzGames

I have two more questions :

1. In the scene Terrain2GeometryScene, how did you create the splatmap of the terrainMesh if we can only paint on real terrain?

2. In the same scene, I try to edit the plane which is stuck on the terrainMesh, but I can't do anything (add tri, remove tri or even blend...) Am I doing something wrong?

41. snacktime

snacktime

Now I'm getting some really strange things going on. Layer settings are having no effect. brightness, global color map, far blend, perlin, etc.. Just nothing. Without 8 layers first pass, refresh button on the texture is also greyed out.

When I restarted Unity, for a split second I saw the global color applied to the terrain, then it went away.

42. KuRouZu

KuRouZu

Hi, I bought your asset recently, it looks great but I'm having some issues. I'm using TerrainComposer, when I active RTP occurs this.
    I tried doing manually without TC. But I get the same result when I add a ReliefTerrain script to a terrain and RTP_LODmanager is added into scene.

If I get close:

TC panel:

I'm missing something? I'm using unity5.
    Regards

43. snacktime

snacktime

KuRouZu, that's one of the same issues I'm having and I'm also using TC. It's the basemap getting set really low.

44. KuRouZu

KuRouZu

I'm very new to TC and RTP, and I'm a little lost, is there any workaround to fix this?

45. snacktime

snacktime

Waiting on an answer myself. I just upgraded, didn't happen to me in previous releases.

46. Kruskovac

Kruskovac

Hey guys, i´m trying to create a terrain with eight layers with RTP. But if i enable the shadows of my directional light, i´m getting strange black artefacts on my terrain within the shadowdistance. Does anybody knows how i can get rid of these artefacts?

Thank you very much!
    Regards

VicToMeyeZR likes this.
  47. snacktime

snacktime

Ok so I tracked down most of my issues, including the basemap issue also reported by KuRouZu. It's the material. It seems you now have to set the material on your terrain to custom manually. Never had to do that before I'm pretty sure RTP did that. I'm taking a wild guess that Unity behavior changed here and RTP just setting the material isn't enough, you have to select custom as the option also or the material is ignored.

48. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

Same issue here. I have to disable the terrain shadows. I don't know if this is RTP or Unity GI

49. KuRouZu

KuRouZu

I can see in TC menu the material field with, for example, "Terrain_x0_y0 material" value, but this material doesn't exist. I tried to set a custom material but I'm getting the same issue. I hope the developer give to us some solution.

50. snacktime

snacktime

By custom I meant set the material on the Terrain component to custom. Then RTP will assign it's generated material. See attached pic.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2015