Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. khos85

khos85

Holy moly, wow, thanks Tom!

2. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, the missing element that might not be figured out by an user were:

- stick your geom blend object to paint "enterance surface" (perfect blend in the end)
    - export, model
    - reimport model and replace original geom blend object

voila !

Glad to hear it's useful.

BTW - as you could imagine - sticked geometry at cliffs could help you resolve streching without necessity to use triplanar shading (as far as you don't have too large cliff areas to handle).

ATB, Tom

P.S. As I wrote this functionality a few months ago I needed myself to figure it out back how I did this tunnel (so many features in RTP I'm lost in sometimes, can you believe ??? :) ).

3. kilju

kilju

thank you for your answer :)
    got another question tho :)
    can i paint terrain by hand? cos i made terrain with terrain composer and now i cant paint terrain. it only lowers my height when i try it

4. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP doesn't overwrite any default Unity terrain functionality (painting height/splats). In the package you can also paint some other things like global colormap and so on. Well, can't tell why it doesn't work for you. RTP should not have anything to do with your issue.

Tom

5. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

Is there any word when this will go on sale again. I tried ordering it on my phone at work. I waited all day to try and make it home to order this from my computer and its full price again :( I litterally miss out on every sale that comes up for this thing because Im at work....so sad

6. MattyWS

MattyWS

I got the pack and it was well worth it! Sorry to hear about Unity screwing you over by not mentioning that sale. I bet you made a massive profit this month though so congrats. :)

I am having trouble working out the mesh to terrain blend though.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
    hopeful likes this.
  7. kilju

kilju

yea dunno whats wrong. got it to paint sand but only sand. i try to play with it to see whats wrong

8. tomaszek

tomaszek

Patience... (and follow this thread). The real value of RTP is probably beyond $90 (not only my opinion), so - current price is fair. But I could also consider helping some indie developers though at some point.

So - RTP on mesh and you'd like to blend (using geom blend functionality) additional objects ? I found some torubles with not properly working collider in Unity5 beta. Is this related to your issue ?

Try to check different options - RTP with materials and without - try to remove RTP component (first, enable materials in LOD manager and recompile) and check on plain Unity terrain. For RTP - check your setup, if you've got detail textures up and running. Follow my first steps video. Open my example scene and check.

Tom

9. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

your plugin is worth so much more that $90, but I am on extremely tight budget which is not your problem but, its really helpful when RTP dose go on sale for lower income people. I always get a message at work when trying to order this on a sale on my mobile phone "Unity team are currently working on a way to purchase assets on mobile devises" Next time there's a sale I'm just going to leave work sick lol. Its people like you that make Indie developers life better by putting out plugins like this :)

10. WWW.A3D.US

WWW.A3D.US

Hello Tom !

How is everything !

First of all i would like to thank you from the deep of my heart for having Unity 5 Compatibility So fast and so well done in this latest update.​

You even improved over The usual Unity 5 Terrain Bugs.​

So Much Seriously, i still dont know why Unity Technologies didnt Invited you to be part of their Development team. They should do that Asap ...​

Anyway ...

Bellow SOme ideas for new features Completly Spoiled As usual : ) .​

Iv Been working here with your Triplanar Shaders For Custom Meshes feature .

And i know its possible to Do And adapt our Custom SHaders
    As says here on the "Rtp BIble" That is your User Pdf : http://www.stobierski.pl/unity/RTP.pdf

9. Standalone RTP shaders

Custom geom blend compliant shaders
    In a basic situation to make shader GeomBlend compliant follow
    steps below:
    1. find line "#pragma surface..."
    2. put "decal:blend" at the end of line above (if not your shader doesn't have it already)
    3. find "struct Input {"
    4. add "fixed4 color:COLOR;" at the end of struct (before "}" )
    5. find "void surf" function
    6. put
    o.Alpha=1-IN.color.a;
    #if defined(UNITY_PASS_PREPASSFINAL)
    o.Gloss*=o.Alpha;
    #endif
    at the end of it
    Refer to example GeometryBlend_BumpedDiffuseOverlay.shader
    (made from BumpedDiffuseOverlay.shader) - I put comments there that reflect above instructions.
    As one may see – we're using vertex color A component to make blending, so basically you can't
    make any surface shader GeomBlend compliant, but only these which doesn't use vertex color A.
    To know more about making GeomBlend shaders (for people with at least basic shader coding
    knownledge) – refer to the code of all shaders starting with "GeomBlend_"​

And thanks so much ... for the explanation ...

But im WOundering ...

There should be a Easier way for us to do this ...

1) Is somehow possible for a next sooner update to you investigate SHADERFORGE Code nodes ...
    And can you allow us ( Or teach us ) to make use and access of RTP Features With SHADERFORGE Code nodes ...

That Way allowing us to make All kinds of Custom RTP Powered shaders With SHaderforge ..
    For Custom External Terrain Meshes ...

Special notes On this topic :

If you check this days ... The usage of shaderforge for everything, even for Very advanced custom shaders as the Cloth shader from David Miranda http://goo.gl/xvxIRZ ... It starts to be more often.

Another thing is that Shaderforge users Usually have alot dificulty in Develop Terrain Shaders ...
    So basically Having The Relief Terrain .cginc Features atached as Custom code nodes in Shaderforge Would allow Everyone to have The Amazing Relief And triplanar Features Inside Shaderforge ...

This can Actually be very easy, if you check how SKYSHOP Done the integration of their extra code nodes inside shaderforge ... you will see how the integration of a external shader features inside shaderforge can be actually easy to develop .

If you check also Shaderforge tread http://goo.gl/03JDtd
    The Relief Pom Subject in SHaderforge is Raising ... SHaderforge developer Implemented ddx/ddy Features in shaderforge latest releases, and there are many people trying to do their own Relief Codes and even sharing it around http://goo.gl/emzoj7 ...
    SHaderforge developer is also developing a custom Relief Node that will be out in next update...

But absolutely nothing compares with your Pom Relief / Triplanar Techniques ...

So My Pleadge:

Why not to Pick on SHaderforge and STart Developing some custom SHaderforge SHaders With Acess to Relief terrain & Relief Shaders in code or even have some RTP shaderforge nodes ?

You could include this in Relief terrain Pack or in your Pom Packages..
    Or even Sell it separate as David Miranda did in its 15$ cloth shader.

If is somehow easy, maibe you should do this before Shaderforge next updates...
    So that SHaderforge Oficial Implementation / port of Unreal Relief Codes does not overight your possibilities of making some Extra Business out of this Features needs. And get All Shaderforge Customers Needing Badly RTP and POM Shaders inside their Shaderforge Workflows .
    I will try to do this on my own ...
    Or even pay someone to do this one month or so ...

But WOuld be so amazing if your RELIEF & POM SHaders Have official SHaderforge Nodes compatibility. SO that we could pick in Your SHaders Features And Lose the Gooze and get wild doing some custom shaders with shaderforge that are also Fully RTP Features compatible ...

Dont mind me, as are just some wild ideas as usual ...
    Hope you can Make some use in anyway of it.

Thanks for listening.
    And for your Amazing efforts in this Amazing Full featured no other alike extension.​

Most of all Have a WOunderfull Happy, prosperous and Full of achievements 2015 for you and all yours !

RUBEN
    / A3D STudio

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  11. Deleted User

Deleted User

I've read previously in the thread, and experienced for myself that editing a RTP terrain in one scene will affect all RTP terrains in the project. I've read in this forum thread that you can bypass this by duplicating the RTP shaders per scene, and slightly renaming the shaders or whatnot.

However, I've got a use case for about 3000 terrains with about 260 texture variations to provide diverse environments. Instead of doing 3000 scenes, I'm looking to do 1 scene that dynamically loads the terrain out of the 3000 possible.

So if I have 1 scene that can load 1 out of 3000 RTP terrains at a time, do I need to make 3000 copies of the RTP shaders in order to use unique textures on each scene? I hope not. I need deserts, tropical locations, lava planets, and a lot more and I'd like to present them all with the beauty of RTP.

So can I stick with one RTP shader setup and then load a terrain and substitute texture atlases as needed instead? I should probably just programmatically test this, but I'm away from my dev rig and I'm curious. I love RTP and the results that I am getting, but I need to develop a production pipeline with it that is efficient and meets my game's requirements. Will sticking with one RTP shader setup and programmatically changing the textures and atlases from code work do you think? Any insight is greatly appreciated. Thank you!

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to duplicate shaders only if your scenes need different setup in LOD manager. It's not the case if one of your scenes uses 4 layers, the other 8 (4+4 setup). You don't need to copy shaders for that. BUT - if you enable dynamic snow (that might be needed in some scenes) it will be handled by shader in another scene. Of course you don't need to put snow on the ground if don't need it on tropical scene (set snow strength to 0).
    So - the answer is - you can setup all scenes separately. It won't break anything. Inside a scene there will be one ReliefTerrainGlobalSetupHolder object (referenced by ReliefTerrain object (component) attached to your terrain.
    To speed up your workflow you can also use preset functionality. Setup one scene and its terrain with RTP. Then make preset (in RTP/settings/main section). You can save it on the disk to reuse on another scene. There you can load your preset and restore it. Simple as this.

ATB, Tom

P.S. Remember to save all your aux textures to disk before making preset. Aux textures I mean these produced by RTP (atlases, combined normals, combined heightmaps, global colormap if you affected this by painting). Otherwise your preset will store nulls instead of references to saved assets (textures).

Deleted User likes this.
  13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Great news. Thank you so much for your hard work, both in code, and in the top notch support you provide.

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Need some time to go thru your spoiler. Although will try to do it soon.

Tom

15. 99thmonkey

99thmonkey

Does your script turn off the terrain collider for everything else as well? So if I have AI about 10 meters behind me chasing me, will they then fall through the terrain when I go in the cave? What about other objects that are not static that use gravity and such?

16. weasel47

weasel47

I finally bought this asset last week and I'm having a lot of fun with it.

When I use tessellation on multiple adjacent terrains (made with Terrain Composer) I can the seams between terrains from a distance. They mostly disappear when I get closer, but tiny specs are still visible. Am I doing something wrong? Is there a way to make the tessellations line up at the seams?
    I tried turning bicubic filtering on (don't know if that would make things better or worse), but the terrain doesn't get rendered at all when I compile the shader with it turned on.

Sorry if this has been asked somewhere before...

Last edited: Jan 17, 2015
  17. snacktime

snacktime

Is it the shaders in RTP that are making mostly solid textures really splotchy? It takes a color and then varies how light/dark it is in spots and it looks horrible. Does it to all textures and I can't figure out what is causing it.

18. OnePxl

OnePxl

Isn't that the Perlin noise that is applied to prevent obvious patterns in repeating textures?

19. tomaszek

tomaszek

you need to attach the same script to your AI chasing you. That is - every object that is supposed to penetrate the terrain surface need to be resolved separately. As soon as your AI reaches entrance trigger collision between AI and terrain is disabled - that's why you can enter "inside".

Tom

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

W/o any screenshot I can not get any idea of your issue.

This hasn't been asked before. We'll investigate it with Nathaniel (to make sure adjaced terrains have exactly sticked geometry and has exactly the same values at borders of heightmaps). Give me some time to look on this.

ATB, Tom

21. tomaszek

tomaszek

Regarding your questions about Shader Forge. I don't know that good SF. My regular experience with this (excellent !) tool is to reverse engineer its output. Like somebody made a shader that satisfy him, but misses some features (like working lightmaps in all lighting modes and so on). Then I get output code of SF and rewrite this into surface shaders. In fact I always get dizzy investigating these wire chaos out there :). I'm so oldschool programmer then... But it really takes me minutes in Mono to code a shader that would take me hours to wire all the stuff in SF.
    But let's back to your question. Even relatively simple shaders need quite a big spreadsheet of components and dependencies in SF. RTP is not suitable to be rewired there.

My plans about my other POM stuuf iss updating RSP to be PBR/U5 compatible (like standard shader with advanced POM capabilities). That's on my todo list. I've made already kind of anabolic feature pumped shader for [Modular] - http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/released-modular-pbr-scifi-pack.273733/#post-1902358). It doesn't present all features (like water features or reflections) but is quite nice. With POM Jakob was able to produce quite a low poly environment where every single screw in wall panels is perfectly detailed/extruded with self-shadowing PBR, lighting and whatnot (originaly it was kind of SF shader redone by me to work in forward/deferred and with all kinds of lightmaps but I couldn't resist to pump it up...).

POM for SF - it's currently quite limited because of missing loop/comditional functionality that would need to be implemended there. Can't tell if this is hard to do it. Ask Joachim Holmer maybe. So - original Policarpo relief shading might be done there via "unrolled" loops but performance might be not satisfactionable.

ATB, Tom

WWW.A3D.US likes this.
  22. SteveEsco

SteveEsco

OK, I bought RTP 3.2 when it was on sale but I feel guilty. It should be priced a lot higher. Do you have a donate button?

23. tomaszek

tomaszek

Nope, but don't feel guilty. Go and buy my other product (like VolumeGrass) if you don't have it. That would donate nicely and you'll gain additional asset :).

ATB, Tom

P.S. Yes, I know that when we consider all RTP content it's barely comparable to other assets at the similar price...

24. John-G

John-G

You can purchase assets on your phone ok.
    The trick is to switch your view from mobile to desktop.

Scroll to the bottom of the asset store page and you will see the following :
    Show desktop version.

Click it and now you won't get that misleading message and can now purchase assets normally on your phone.

25. snacktime

snacktime

Kind of but not in the way you might expect. I narrowed it down to only happening when creating multiple terrains with TC.

Create a single terrain manually using the good dirt diffuse from RTP, looks fine. Create a single terrain with TC, looks fine. Go from one to multiple terrains and shaders compile differently and it looks terrible.

TC is setting the last splat in the terrain script to the perlin normal map from RTP, which looks like what is causing this. No idea if it's a bug or just a bad idea on TC's part. It only happens when I change the number of terrains from one, and apply the splats to the other terrains in TC using set all from the first terrain splat.

FYI RTP still shows the correct splats in the layers tab.

See the attached good/bad pics, these are the good dirt diffuse textures that ship with RTP.

Attached Files:

• good.png
      good.png
      File size:
      340.2 KB
      Views:
    • bad.png
      bad.png
      File size:
      626.9 KB
      Views:
  26. tomaszek

tomaszek

'Hidden/Scene View Show Mips' - ouch. That's not my shader... :). Rather like Unity's built in shader that visualize MIP levels used on certain model.

Give me Unity version, RTp version, exact setup (LOD manager) + lights on scene + lighting mode (forward/deferred) + terrain setup and I'll try to reproduce your issue on my side.

Tom

27. tomaszek

tomaszek

Refer to my pdf docs and "working modes" video. "Bad" splat textures is expected behavior when you don't use materials. Simply I need to pass global textures (that are mostly different on each terrain tile) via detail splat texture slots. Of course in RTP layers tab they look fine (right textures are shown there). It looks odd, I know, but you can still draw coverage using Unity brush tool even if it seems wrong detail splat texture is shown there.

Could you explain what's exactly wrong with your "bad" screenshot above ? One of detail textures used as global colormap ? That sometimes happen when you, for example, setup multiple terrains (w/o materials) and then ReliefTerrain component is removed/reassigned (with "splat N null errors thrown).

Maybe you could try this scenario:

1. Make one terrain
    2. Attach RTP component, bring LOD manager, then recompile shaders _using_ materials (U4 materials enabled)
    3. Setup multiple terrains in TC

At this point everything should work fine. Only when you have many terrain tiles performance might drop (CPU load). So when you've got everything looking nice:

4. Save all textures from Combined textures tab/subtabs.
    5. Go for LOD manager and recompile with materials unchecked.

Remember that w/o materials you can't use 8 layers mode (8 layers rendered in first pass using atlasing detail colormap). Even if you cheat LOD manager to do it results will be _srewed_.

ATB, Tom

28. snacktime

snacktime

Not sure what you mean by what's wrong with the bad pic? The difference is the problem. One I have no idea how it happens and there is nothing I specifically did to alter it like that. It's unexpected behavior. Literally I have a single terrain in TC, add a few more and set the splats to the same splats in the first terrain, recompile shaders, and all the textures have changed like that. Zero changes to any RTP configs by myself.

I understand what you mean about bad splat textures, but why is it different with a single terrain vs multiple? Should it not be and TC is just messing it up somehow? FYI I always get those splat N null errors with TC and multiple terrains.

I'm going to try just not assigning splats at all in TC and telling TC to get them from the terrain script and see if that works, because everything I'm seeing and hearing is telling me TC is messing this up somehow.

29. snacktime

snacktime

Silly question, how do I get back to the unity default shaders? I want to test a few things with unity default terrains/textures vs RTP.

30. snacktime

snacktime

Here is an example of the effect on multiple textures. good2 is with materials, bad2 is without materials. Good2 doesn't look great because it hasn't been tweaked at all, but it's fixable. Bad2 simply isn't fixable without getting rid of whatever RTP is doing to it. It's unusable.

So are you saying that RTP needs materials to generate the correct combined textures to avoid this effect?

Attached Files:

31. PixelSpice

PixelSpice

Hey Tom!

I Finally splurged and bought your terrain shaders, and I must say, they are fantastic! I'm quite terrible with shaders (and tried my hand at terrain shading a bit ago - failed miserably.) The RTP tool has helped me get the quality I want without having to create completely custom shaders, it's amazing! I've run into a bug that I can't seem to solve though, even though it may just be a checkbox somewhere.

For some reason, everything in the distance (just beyond what RTP considers "far") renders gray, or at least really de-saturated. There does seem to be some collor to it, but it's clearly out of place.

I've been able to narrow down what is causing it to the Global Tree Map (which I would like to have turned on, since I'm using TC to build my splatmaps, etc.). I do have a global color map set up for each terrain, so I would expect at the very least the shaders would fall back on that.

For Reference, this is what it should look like (Identical RTP LOD Manager settings minus the global tree map)

And this is what it looks like after I turn on global tree map and refresh under main settings.

It's a bit hard to tell, but ther is still color in the foreground, but the background everything turns the same color. This seems to happen even with snow turned off. (I probably should have turned if off for the example images - sorry!)

Also, not sure if it will help, but here is a link to an imgur album with my RTP settings.

32. snacktime

snacktime

Ok so finally kind of figured this out. The global color map for a texture is set to 1 by default. With multiple terrains the opposite setting is actually what looks closest to a single terrain. So it's just a completely unexpected behavior. Should probably be documented in bold somewhere.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  33. tomaszek

tomaszek

For one terrain (w/o materials) I don't need to use detail splat textures - I use global shader variables instead, that's why it looks different. It's fault of TC. Could you try making your scene with TC, but setuping all tiles at once ? When you setup one tile RTP assumes we don't need this "substitution trick", then you add more tiles and troubles might appear. So - make your scene in TC (multiple terrains). Attach RTP components. The problem about splat N null comes from such scenario:

1. setup RTP w/o materials
    2. assign RTP to multiple terrain tiles
    3. RTP uses substitution (passing global maps thru unity's detail textures per terrain tile).
    4. some of global maps are volatie objects (scene objects - not texture assets placed in your project)
    5. when you remove RTP component substituted textures stays there, if they're "volatile" they become borken references (void, null).

You can save all your textures in RTP combined textures tab, but removing RTP component from scene where "substitution" trick is used causes we've got "screwed" (substituted) detail textures on Unity terrain still present, that might be confusing, but I can't see any reasonable workaround now for this.

ATB, Tom

34. tomaszek

tomaszek

I'm not sure you're useing trees map as they are intended to be. Alpha channel of trees map defines baked shadows used at far distance. That's why on your screenshot above you see darkened mountains at the distance. While RGB channels of tree map:

1. when it's not black (by default it would be just white until you assign right texture) the color is used (it's just a dummy "pixel" sized tree at the far distance whre terrain trees billboards should disappear).
    2. when it's black no color substitution is made

So the question is - how does your global treemap texture look like ?
    Because I can't reproduce your issue on my side (right after enabling the feature in LOD manager and refreshing) - I haven't used any texture though.

ATB, Tom

35. plink

plink

The timing on this discussion is odd since I was going to post about this very thing over the weekend. This topic actually goes back to page 7 of this thread where Quen had posted about the same issue. You guys ended up taking the discussion to Skype but there was never any resolution here in the thread. Anyway, none of that's really important. :)

The issue can be replicated on my end when I activate the Global Trees Map without first having a texture in the proper slot. Once a texture is in place, the issue obviously goes away but if I set the texture back to "none", the issue doesn't come back. Maybe it's a difference in Mac and PC (I'm on a Mac) but the blank texture slot doesn't initially read as "white" in this instance. All of this is neither here nor there since of course a texture needs to be in the slot but this at least explains how some people might be seeing the grayed out texture. Okay, well it doesn't really explain it but it shows the scenario where it can happen.

Still loving RTP btw and I'm constantly amazed at how much work you've put into this amazing product. Thanks for all that you do Tom!

36. Jack62Lewis

Jack62Lewis

Hey, I just bought this and am getting it working with this video:

One thing I'm noticing is that the perlin effect disappears when I get near it both at runtime and in the scene view. Is this normal?

37. tomaszek

tomaszek

Perlin normal is limited to so called "far" distance only. This idstance start and fade lengths are defined in settings/perlin tab in RTP. If you'd like to have it "everythwhere" (just as close to camera as possible) - dial down far distance start to 0. Then you can define starting value (up to 1). That's described in my pdf.

Tom

hopeful likes this.
  38. PixelSpice

PixelSpice

Thanks for the quick response. I did try to go assign a tree map in the global map section, but the feature said it was disabled and didn't have a spot to import a texture. As to the other comment mentioning maybe it was a Mac vs PC thing, I'm currently running Windows 8, Unity 4(.3.1 I think).

I'll try recompiling and seeing if I can manually pull a tree map from TC and throw it in the settings. I thought at first this was automatic behaviour from the integration (similar to how TC sets normal/heightmaps in RTP.)

39. tomaszek

tomaszek

You need to be aware that the feature don't work together with tessellation. But do you really need pixel trees feature ? You would be probably first one that uses this ... :). If you'd like to use baked shadows alone it's better to use global ambient emissive maps instead (they have the same baked shadow functionality handled by texture alpha channel).

ATB, Tom

40. weasel47

weasel47

Never mind, this issue seems to have gone away (mostly) when I regenerated the terrain. I am sometimes seeing "sparkles" from tiny holes all over the terrain, though. I started seeing them after turning on tessellation.

41. tomaszek

tomaszek

I was playing with the issue yesterday. So - for sparkling pixels the options are like I said:

1. minimizing number of separate submeshes rendered to not have submesh seams anywhere
    2. MSAA
    3. placing some basic (diffuse is enough) geometry under seams ? This would hide underlying skybox from "sparkling". Just wondering if such solution would be any good because we can't control where submesh patches of terrain are exactly placed (they are dynamic). For RTP used on custom meshes that might be doable though.

For tearing issue. It's not present I'd say, but you need to remember:
    1. stick your terrains right way (using neighbours definition) or your terrain might get teared even w/o tessellation
    2. make sure your sampled height / normalmaps have blended edges. That is - the edge pixels should be exactly the same on the adjanced texture borders or you'll have seam visible on normals and tearing that comes from detail extrusion, because the displacement is realised along normals. Thus - edge normals pointing different directions will lead into tearing.

ATB, Tom

42. Tandinos

Tandinos

Hi, I'm using brand new project with only RTP 3.1 in it i imported my height map from world machine, Set it up added 4 textures, added the engine component, Refreshed to add LOD manager to scene re-compiled , refreshed terrain , (sometimes i get no perlin texture others i do) When I add Normal maps height maps to textures it doesn't change them at all Using newest version of unity, textures same size just using ones you supply, other times using the example (which is different to the one in your video has 8 layers i believe) when I try to paint textures onto map I just get black everywhere I paint, and on other maps I get a really ugly reflection off the ground, I also get a huge black shadow around my Camera when Viewing terrain and when I adjust the Perlin settings nothing changes or I just get less shadow or more shadow, Have no clue what im doing wrong , as following the example I have different example , and results.,

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

For brand new project - go for RTP3.2, then check it again (following my tutorial). In working modes video I'm presenting 4 layers mode setup, so try to follow it and tell me if this works or not for you.

Tom

Last edited: Jan 20, 2015
  44. SGtRumpel

SGtRumpel

HI there,

I recently switched from ATS Terrain shader to yours - and am quite pleased with it :) Thanks for creating it :)

I am currently re-working all the terrains in the project and have one issue I don't seem to be able to solve. Please view the image attached - I have the problem that the Near distance value (Distance Start and Fade length ) are extremely visible. If I set the fade to 0, obviously the border is quite strong.

Now if I set the fade to a higher value, it seems like the area of the fade is being blended additively - you van see a brighter circle around you when moving. Curiously it only affects some textures. What would the value be to influence this behaviour?

Thanks in advance,
    Maenny

Attached Files:

45. _MGB_

_MGB_

Hiho,

We're seeing a problem via source control: Artist checked in his new RTP terrain but when we get the project onto another machine all edits were gone.
    Is this info stored somewhere we didn't check in? Presumed it was stored on the game object with the RTP script on it?

Ta,
    M

46. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

Do the height maps that RTP uses have to have the height information in the alpha channel or does it simply work with grey scale images?

47. tomaszek

tomaszek

There are two distance ranges that ican overlap - close distance (set in settings/main tab) and "far distance" (set in settings/perlin normal tab), You could experince unexpected behavior depending on another settings that rely in close/far distance ranges.

First - in global maps / colormap we've got three blending values (for close, far and "mid range" which is something "between" near and far range) - try to experiment there. Otherwise I'd need to see your whole setup to reproduce your issue.

RTP is script component object attached to terrain, it has its own variables and references (to textures). Besides it refers to per scene "GlobalSettingsHolder" object that is shared accross terrain tiles. Both objects (terrain tile specific, and this shared one) stores textures that are often "volatile" (scene) objects until you save them. That might lead into broken references. RTP can save it's settings to object via perset functionality. There is an separate object that's meant to do it. This object (ReliefTerrainPresetHolder in scripts/internal) is saved into .asset file (done when you use "save" button present in RTP/settings/main tab). Don't know if this is enough info for you to solve the problem, but indeed - RTP boejct is not a persistent component like terrain object or material.

They read from alpha (so jpg DXT1 rgb is not enough - you might provide them as alpha8 - that's not important because they are not used by shader, they are only referenced in RTP component to make combined version (layers - 0-3 RGBA). Their references are cleared from RTP component on build just to decrease build size.
    (look for ClearAuxTextures cs script and look inside how it's done if you're curious).

ATB, Tom

48. Dreamaster

Dreamaster

OH!! I think I figured something out I'll add to this part of the discussion for others that might be new to this... Your demo height maps alpha channel is empty, but you have "Alpha from grey scale" checked on the texture settings, so that's something nice that Unity can do for us is copy that to the image's alpha channel, as long as the image format supports it (like PNG files).

49. _MGB_

_MGB_

We did save to a preset and loaded that on the new machine but all the values on the terrain (the ReliefTerrain component) were at default values.

ed: Ah, after debugging it appears I've been using the presets incorrectly - I was thinking that saving a preset with the 'save' button would overwrite it with the current settings, which it does not!

50. reptilebeats

reptilebeats

hi just thought i would post an error with the GeometryBlend_BumpedDetailSnow Shader, seems to be comeing out pink with the error
    Shader error in 'Relief Pack/GeometryBlend_BumpedDetailSnow': Too many texture interpolators would be used for ForwardBase pass (11 out of max 10) at line 40 (on )

i have absolutely no idea how to fix it, my shader knowledge is as about as good as a broken door handle. if you have a place to report bugs let us know and i'll send them your way when i come across them.