Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack lacks parallax effect with native VR

Discussion in 'AR/VR (XR) Discussion' started by MichaelSchenck, Jul 29, 2015.

1. MichaelSchenck

MichaelSchenck

I have been working with RTP in my game Lost Loot for a while. I recently switched to the latest Oculus 0.6.0.1 runtime and am now working with the native Unity VR support in 5.1.2. Unfortunately with that switch the parallax mapping in the Relief Terrain Pack shaders is now being only calculated once based on the single camera in the native setup or maybe twice but using that camera's position. The previous Oculus integration had two cameras which caused the parallax effect to be rendering properly which looks very nice in VR. Is there any way to get this working again? Internally there are two cameras but how does RTP interact with these to do parallax? Any help would be much appreciated.

2. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

We are seeing this too... Tom had some info that seems to be similar (UBER shaders). We also see the same with standard parallax. Hopefully Unity fixes it soon, irs amazing when it works!

"POM effects will not wobble and can provide even better resolution over tessellation, but currently they are broken for integrated VR in Unity. We're still waiting for Unity fix on this (shader need to hae correct camera position available - separately for left and right eye, now it's constant...)"

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/uber-standard-shader-ultra.335493/page-6#post-2232029

3. MichaelSchenck

MichaelSchenck

4. EdBlais

EdBlais

Unity Technologies

The Developers who are working on the Relief Terrain Pack can now edit their Package to include prefab that covers this case. They just need to use the individual eye content in 5.1.2p1 (http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/different-content-in-each-eye.332575/) You could also implement the changes locally with their package's assets. I suggest using 5.1.2p3 when it comes out this week though. Because 5.1.2p1 has a bug with both cameras being placed at the left eye position.

5. StaffanEk

StaffanEk

What about the default standard shader parallax? Is that still broken?