Search Unity

[RELEASED] WORN EDGES - Generates a worn look for your props

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Steven-1, Oct 9, 2013.

1. maxwood

maxwood

Hey Steven,

I'm looking to create a worn look on my surface edges to give the impression of torn paper but I'm struggling to do so. I'm still getting to grips with the settings but is this possible? Any advice on how I can achieve this?

2. Steven-1

Steven-1

Do you mean something like this?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 25, 2014
  3. maxwood

maxwood

Thanks Steven.

That's sort of what I'm looking to create although using a texture inplace of the white area and the white in in the orange area to show the torn effect. I've managed to create a similar setup on a box.

The problem is now when I try and generate a sharpness map on the mesh I want to use it just renders as a solid black colour. I can send you the mesh if you wish to try and reproduce it, it's very basic. It may be that the mesh is too smooth but essentially I want to generate a map for the edges of this mesh and then apply the worn edges to it :)

Cheers,

Max

4. Steven-1

Steven-1

Oh, ok, it creates a solid black map instead of the sharpness map, that sounds like a bug that was fixed in latest versions, are you sure yours is up to date?
    If it is, please do send me the object so I can see what causes the problem.
    (steven.craeynest@gmail.com)

Edit:
    Something else just occured to me,
    which sharpness calculation method are you using?
    If you are using the "per vertex and edge"-method, and your mesh has no sharp edges, then the map will always be black. If that's the case you should switch to the "per pixel"-method.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  5. maxwood

maxwood

Hey Steven, sorry for the delayed reply.

Yeah I'm running the latest version and using the "per pixel" method also. I will email you the mesh over.

Cheers,

Max

6. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

I have a procedural mesh that's generated at run time that's using a substance material. Will this asset work in this use case ?

Cheers.

7. Steven-1

Steven-1

Hi,
    I'm afraid not, this asset is a tool for use in the editor, so you can't really practically use it in-game.
    I was thinking about making it work in-game as well, but just haven't gotten around to it yet.
    Also, substance materials don't seem to work, if the substance textures can somehow be converted to regular textures then it should work though.

Best regards,
    and sorry for the late reply,

Steven

8. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

@Steven,

Really love to have this awesome tool in game because both the meshes and materials are procedurally generated.

Here is a way to get texture2d info from substances:
    http://forum.allegorithmic.com/index.php?topic=93.0
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/ScriptReference/ProceduralTexture.GetPixels32.html

Having the ability to make worn-edges on procedurally generated meshes and textures will make this package much more flexible and powerful to potential users.

Would you consider a request for adding this functionality in a future update ?

Cheers.

9. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Unity's UMA open source project has really cool scripts that generates atlases and textures with lighting multi-threaded speed both in-editor and in-game. (supports Unity's Free and Pro - RenderTexture ) Perhaps you could use those scripts in this project.

Cheers.

10. Steven-1

Steven-1

Alright, I'll look into it. (I actually already did look into making it work in game some time age, but I ran into some problems)
    I'm fairly busy at the moment though, and I"m also working on another update for worn edges which I want to finish and release first,
    so I can't really promise when it will be there, but I'll let you know here when it is.

Best regards,
    Steven

11. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Big Thumbs up. Cheers.

12. nosyrbllewe

nosyrbllewe

If I get this asset, will I be able to sell the models and textures I used it with this on the Asset Store. I would only package the textures that your tool generates, and not the core tool.

13. Steven-1

Steven-1

Yes, no problem, you can sell these.
    If you do, it would be nice if you link to the worn edges tool, but that's not mandatory.
    There is no actual restriction on what you can do with it, all textures you create with the tool are yours to use as you please.

14. Steven-1

Steven-1

I'm working on an update I will submit in a couple of days.
    With it, I will increase the price a little (to 35$).

I just want to give a heads up to whoever's planning on buying it but hasn't yet, as you now have at least a couple of days to buy it at the current price.

After submission, it usually takes a couple of days before it is approved by Unity and it is available on the asset store.
    (ranges from an hour to a week, so I can't give an exact date, but probably somewhere next week.)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2014
  15. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Steven,
    bought ... great asset!
    Could you post some news regard the new incoming update?

I found only one bug similar to this : but only for Custom Map type:
    Regards
    Max

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  16. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Waiting an official Fix..here a temporary solution:

File Map.cs (Worn Edges\Scripts\Editor)

replace line 237:
    Code (csharp):
    1. sourceTexture = EditorGUILayout.ObjectField("Source Texture", sourceTexture, typeof(Texture2D), true, GUILayout.Width(64), GUILayout.Height(64)) as Texture2D;
    with :
    Code (csharp):
    1. EditorGUILayout.BeginHorizontal();
    2. sourceTexture = EditorGUILayout.ObjectField(sourceTexture, typeof(Texture2D), true, GUILayout.Width(64),   GUILayout.Height(64)) as Texture2D;
    3. GUILayout.Box("Source Texture", GUILayout.ExpandWidth(true));
    4. EditorGUILayout.EndHorizontal();

17. Steven-1

Steven-1

Oh, you're absolutely right, I'll fix it and add it to the next update.
    Sorry for the trouble.

I tend to develop it in Unity 3.5, and only test it in Unity 4, but I apparently missed that one.
    I suppose I should do it the other way, as most people seem to have switched to 4.

Though it's actually not a bug in the tool itself, but rather a bug in Unity (introduced in Unity 4.something)
    But as you noticed, it's easily fixed (or actually: avoided).
    (You can actually also just remove the GUILayout.Width and Height, they were just there for consistency, but are now actually the cause of the bug)

Thanks for letting me know

18. Steven-1

Steven-1

sure:

Changes in version 1.4:

- Added a cancelable progress bar when creating a map.
    - Overwriting existing textures when saving is now optional (and disabled by default).
    - Sharpness map creation (for "vertex and edge"-method) is a bit faster.
    - New sharpness map calculation method.
    - 2 sharpness calculation methods can also count holes (or borders-edges) as sharp.
    - It can now also be used on skinned meshes (always based on bind-pose)
    - New map: wood map.
    - New map: mask map.
    - New map: directional occlusion map.
    - New noise algorithm: lines noise.
    - Added a couple of combination methods for creating the combined map (instead of only multiply).
    - Fix for the incorrect custom map interface in Unity 4

Edit: submitted the update, it should become available in a couple of days

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  19. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Thanks, I can't wait to try it.

20. Steven-1

Steven-1

Update:
    version 1.4 now available

Most notable changes:

• Added a cancelable progress bar when creating a map.
    • Overwriting existing textures when saving is now optional (and disabled by default).
    • Sharpness map creation (for "vertex and edge"-method) is a bit faster.
    • New sharpness map calculation method.
    • 2 sharpness calculation methods can also count holes (or borders-edges) as sharp.
    • It can now also be used on skinned meshes (always based on bind-pose)
    • New map: wood map.
    • New map: mask map.
    • New map: directional occlusion map.
    • New noise algorithm: lines noise. (warning: it's slow)
    • Added a couple of combination methods for creating the combined map (instead of only multiply).
    • Fix for the incorrect custom map interface in Unity 4

21. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

Hi Steven,
    in the new version i see two new texture slots in the worn edge creation panel.
    I didn't found the way to use them(not yet documented in the manual).
    I miss something! What I'm doing wrong?

Max

$WE_1_4.jpg

22. Steven-1

Steven-1

Hi Max,
    I was just gonna post about that;
    those aren't supposed to be there :s

It was a test, but I forgot to remove them in the update.
    I've already submitted a new update with those 2 texture slots removed.
    They're harmless though (as long as you leave them empty).

sorry for the trouble.

23. sjm-tech

sjm-tech

no problem ... I was only trying to understand the new features.

- Could be very handy add a "Create Combined Map" button in the graph tab to make a n easy tweaking the result without closing the graph tab. (also an stand alone Graph tab like Gradient Ramp tab cold be ok)
    $WE_Wishes.jpg
    - Try to improve the speed of AO calculation (it is a bit slow also on cube).

Last edited: Feb 26, 2014
  24. ZJP

ZJP

Woow. How i missed this thread?! :eek:
    Do you have planned to add an option for the PBR shaders? ;)

25. ZJP

ZJP

Ok. No response since Feb 26, 2014. Nevermind : i will use Substance Painter for this.
    Time for UT Asset Manager 'to clean their House' :rolleyes:

26. Steven-1

Steven-1

Sorry for the late reply, I did not get a notification mail for your posts and so I hadn't seen it until just now.
    To answer your question, I am not all that familiar with physically based rendering, and so I wasn't planning on making an update for it. Perhaps something for later.

27. WWW.A3D.US

WWW.A3D.US

Hello Steven ! How Are you !

We are Old Customers of your Amazing Extension ...

We been working with it more than 1 year ago, and let me say its flawless .
    There is no better or faster Workflow to do Proper Mesh Aging in unity .

We been using this extension toguether with SHaderforge.
    And we now plan to release some assets at Unity store powered by wornedges..
    And if you dont mind we would like please to request you a 1 or two very important features improvments.

1) If it possible to have a way or a tool to merge 4 Worn maps into a RGBA Splat Automatically?

2) Do you think its possible for you to have a way to Bake the Results into Geometry Vertex Colors ?

We would like to Bake the results Chosing RGBA Vertex Colors Slots ...
    This way we can have 4 Triplanar Dirt / Moss / Wear / Oclusion Vertex Layers.
    Not Needing uvs And still spare The Extra Splat Bitmap per object..
    Im Sure this Splats RGBA & Vertex Bake features will increase your sales.
    As you can advertise the compatibility workflow with shaderforge ...
    And have all users of shaderforge buying your tool.

- Can you do this small improvments for a Sooner next Update ?
    Thank you so much for your Customer support.

Most of all.
    Have a Wounderfull Happy 2015 Year !

RUBEN
    / Alpha 3D Studio​

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  28. Steven-1

Steven-1

Hi Ruben,

Glad you like it.
    But I'm not sure I understand your requests entirely;
    For the first request, I assume you mean the grayscale combined map? That would technically be possible, and shouldn't be that hard to do, but I'm not sure what you want to achieve with that.
    For the 2nd request, what exactly do you mean by result? The combined map, or the actual baked end result? Either way, baking these to vertex colors will doubtfully give a good result, unless the mesh contains a lot of otherwise unnecessary vertices. Is that what you want, or am I misunderstanding something?
    It sounds more like you want to use the vertex colors to decide which of the 4 combined maps to use (like how the terrain works), or am I mistaken?
    I'm also not sure what ShaderForge has to with this, I've never use it, but as far as I can tell, it's a tool to make shaders using a node-based structure rather than writing code, I don't see what it has to do with this tool.

Could you perhaps provide a clear example of what you want to achieve?

I wish you also a wonderful 2015!

WWW.A3D.US likes this.
  29. WWW.A3D.US

WWW.A3D.US

Hello Steven !

Thank you for your interest in Our Work Subject ...

And Sure ... Thanks for asking.
    Here is the result we are trying to achieve With Vertex colors Splat Mapping

We Just need Something With this Result as in the image Above ...

I don't think should be that much difficult to do such vertex splat result with Worn Edges ...
    There is just need to Output WornEdges Result to Vertex Rgba Colors instead of bitmaps ..
    The Technique we are using is Conjugating Backed Vertex SplatMapping With Gpu SHader Noise Libs, so in that way we don't need to have a Extra Bitmap Splatmap for every mesh.

We use other tools as scripts in 3dsmax and maya. To bake in Bitmaps then to Vertex.
    But its so delayed. That it takes like 1 hour to setup every 50 meshes.

So We would love to Make our workflow faster Just with Worn Edges.

Would be great if we could just Select lets say 500 meshes in unity ...

Hit a button and Waith Worn Edges Do that kind of / Mesh Aware Batch Vertex colors Rgba SplatMapping to all meshes by a WornEdges saved preset.
    And do that not even needing uvs preferably.​

I know the result above it looks rough, but after this we can improve it
    Iterating it With layered procedural noise mixes directly in the shader.

The Final result as above is quite a little bit more than just a Worn edges splat map ...
    And best of all no bitmaps needed ... Just Vertex colors and Shader Noise libs.

This technique is especially useful for next gen Physically Based Shading in Unity 5 ...
    And well that's what we are working in ... and aiming for ...

But we need a proper faster Batch Vertex Worn Edges Processor inside Unity.

And there is really no other but your extension to do this in all Unity store ecosystem.
    Its quite a novel... but i think very important & smart VertexGpuShader splats workflow idea ...

We Hope you or anyone can Achieve some technological improvements In this Vertex Concavity / Curvature / Occlusion / Convexity / MeshAware Worn Edges Extra Splat Backing methods ...
    It's something really needed for us to finish things in proper times around here.
    __
    I just Send you by private message a Big Article
    ... on how and why to achieve this kind of results to use in Procedural Physical Based shaders ...

Thanks for listening.
    Have some wonderful weeks there !

Thank you

RUBEN
    /A3D Studio

Last edited: Jan 21, 2015
  30. ZJP

ZJP

Btw can you add an option that allow to use an external AO texture/Map. Because i use Knald for that.

31. Teila

Teila

I have been eyeing this for a while but am wondering if it works with Unity 5. Thanks.

32. ZJP

ZJP

+1, So...

33. ZJP

ZJP

Hi?!

34. Steven-1

Steven-1

Wow, sorry for the lack of input on my part, I guess the forum's notification system is broken again, I haven't had any notifications regarding this thread since my last post.

You can already, every map can be replaced with another map, just (re)place an image in the texture slot. (the texture size has to match however)

It works correctly on Unity5, I have however not yet uploaded a version with Unity5, which is why there is a warning in the store.
    (At the moment, when you import it into a Unity5 project, it will just ask for it to upgrade itself, which only takes a second)
    I'll try to get a unity5 version available soon, but like I said, it actually already works on Unity 5.

35. ZJP

ZJP

Thanks for the reply.

36. melonhead

melonhead

get a unity 5 version up on the store and you will have my purchase also, can you upload a new video tutorial as the old videos will not show as the certificate says outdated, thanks

37. Steven-1

Steven-1

I will, as soon as possible, hopefully this weekend.

EDIT: Update now available (It took a bit longer because there turned out to be a small interface problem in Unity5, which I had to fix first)

Oh? They all seem to work fine to me. Maybe vimeo doesn't work for you for whatever reason? Maybe I should upload them on youtube as well

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  38. ZJP

ZJP

+1

39. melonhead

melonhead

youtube good please

40. melonhead

melonhead

managed to see the videos and noticed that there is a max texture output size of 1024, can you increase this please as my current textures are 2048 and now unity 5 accepts over 8000 texture resolution, purchase would be dependent on using 2048 textures.

41. ZJP

ZJP

:(

+1

twobob likes this.
  42. melonhead

melonhead

@ZJP as we have had no reply so far i have emailed steven at his wordpress page to see if i get a reply about increasing the maximum output resolution, looking at the included files in the package the main worn edges fill is a dll but there is a c# script named bakewornedges so wether this contains the output max code maybe we can manually change it in the script, but confirmation is needed by me before purchase as 1024 is too low these days for game textures detail.

i did mention in the email that i had posted on here so hopefully steven will answer on here, if i recieve an answer by emal i will let you know the outcome.

43. ZJP

ZJP

Indeed. :confused:

Thanks. :cool:

44. Steven-1

Steven-1

Hey guys, sorry the late response again, the last couple of weeks have been really busy for me, mostly family stuff.

Let's me assure you that there is absolutely no texture size limit, they can be over 8000 square pixels if you want. I don't know why you thought there is such a limit, could you tell me what gave you that idea?

Bigger size means it will take longer to generate the textures ofcourse, the texture size I choose for the videos is just a size that has enough detail, but is also not too big so it doesn't take too long to create.

The generated textures however are always square, and always have a power of 2 size. Which I mainly did because it's better (more efficient) for textures to be like that. (The power of 2 limitation is actually easily removed in the code if desired.)

Last edited: Apr 6, 2015
  45. Steven-1

Steven-1

Update:
    version 1.4.2 now available

• Added a Unity5 version
    • Fixed the link to the correct LibNoise package
    • Fixed an issue in the "Extend Texture"-interface (The texture slot was broken in some versions of Unity)

And I also added 2 videos to the Asset Store product page

46. melonhead

melonhead

hi steven, here is why i thought there was a max output texture limit. it says max size 1024 but as you have now assured bigger there is no problem Capture.JPG

47. Steven-1

Steven-1

Ah ok, that's just Unity's Inspector window which I unpinned to show the generated texture, as you're probably aware of, the default max size in the texture import settings is 1024, but this number can ofcourse be altered.

48. melonhead

melonhead

thanks for clearing this up steven, will be purchasing in the next day or two,looks like this tool is going to save me a massive amount of time trying to manually age my textures.

49. melonhead

melonhead

steven, have now purchased and am just begining to learn the tool, just wondered how in video with the robot on one wheel how did you display the robots texture that you were working on on the screen through the video, or was this done during editing the video as i just cant figure it out as i could do with seeing the texture as i work on it

regards

EDIT: just realised as the camera does not move in the video is the texture just on a plane?

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  50. melonhead

melonhead

after bake in editor.JPG baked file in photoshop.JPG steven there seems to be a problem with the baked textures, as you can see in unity it shows the texture is baked and the texture picture shows this with the rust on the texture, but open the file the rust part is now white,open in photoshop and rust is now transparent, i need the baked file to be a baked file as in the added rust or dirt is baked into the single file so i can run it through shadermap, have i set something wrong as i need to process the baked texture in other programs after being baked, see pics