Search Unity

[RELEASED] World Space Crosshair - 3D crosshair (necessary for VR!)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by vvander, Feb 20, 2015.

1. vvander

vvander

What is it? What does it do?
    World Space Crosshair is exactly what the name describes: a crosshair that exists in the 3D world space with the rest of your game, rather than as a screen space GUI piece. After building the World Space Cursor for our own VR-enabled game, we also needed to develop a crosshair that existed in world space as well. This is necessary because 2D screen space crosshairs will be unusable in VR. For those that are unfamiliar, regular 2D interfaces can't be used in VR because it is extremely difficult to focus on something so close to your face. Of course, this 3D crosshair can be useful for non-VR games, too, if your project needs it.

You can check out the online demo here to get a taste of what it looks like in action, and take a look at the Unity Asset Store page, as well. The online documentation is available for your perusal as well.

Is it easy to use in my project?

Very simple! Whether you need a prefab that you can drag-and-drop into your scene or something that integrates with your specific input system, this plugin will make a 3D crosshair extremely easy for you to put in your project.

Just like our other plugins, we have online documentation on our website as well as an offline copy included with the plugin files. Plus, our policy is to give integration support to anyone who needs it, regardless of how they're using the plugin. And as always, 100% of the well-commented source code is included, so you can change anything for your specific needs if you need to do so.

Woah, you guys are amazing!

Thanks :) Keep supporting our other plugins and sign up for dev updates here if you're interested. Check out our main page at www.makeorbreakgames.com!

--

Special Thanks

A special thank you to eVRyday for allowing us to use his excellent stereoscopic scaling tweak in our plugin. He gets all the credit for this solution to the weird, VR-specific phenomenon. Make sure to check out his YouTube channel where he explores all sorts of topics in the burgeoning VR industry. eVRyday is a huge asset to the VR community, so please join us in supporting his work!

Last edited: Mar 25, 2015
  2. vvander

vvander

New demo available! Same link, new fun.

Also, the plugin is complete and is being reviewed by Unity for sale on the Asset Store. More info soon.

3. vvander

vvander

Plugin is released! Grab it here!

The version on the Asset Store right now only works with Unity 5, but the Unity 4.6.3-compatible version is coming soon (waiting on review right now).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  4. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, I have found this asset that makes 3D crosshairs, and is true that a 2D crosshair is not good for a 3D game unless you make a FPS game that has the crosshair fixed in the center

I do not want to use any VR, but want to make a 3D game that I can move freely without the limitations of a 2D Crosshair

Maybe many people do not know about a 3D crosshair, so this may be why nobody has made any comments yet

I want to ask how is going the development of the future features to be included, specially these 3 ones that are found on the web page

http://www.makeorbreakgames.com/world-space-crosshair/

1) Optional boundaries for the crosshair, allowing the crosshair to prevent itself from traveling offscreen or outside a certain range.

2) UI activation capabilities, allowing the crosshair to interact with the standard Unity UI selectables such as buttons or check boxes. Note that this will likely require users to purchase our World Space Cursor plugin as well.

3) Custom inspector for the crosshair component, which will simplify the integration process further and suggest certain ranges for the values of the customization options.+

Is there any possible date for this update, I mean if it will be next month, or will be for 2 months or more?

Thanks very much for any help

Best regards

5. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

I have sent a PM to let you know about this post above and this one also

As I said above, I am NOT going to use this 3D crosshair in a VR game, is a First person 3D but not a FPS with fixed crosshair, this is why I want to have this Flexible 3D crosshair

I have seen the documentation page, and seems to be easy to integrate, but as I am a beginner and do not know about scripting, I wonder, how do you attack and combine this 3D crosshair to my own weapons of the player I already have?

Is it needed to make a script to manage this?
    Is a crosshair manager script included to be added to the weapon you want so it can use this 3D crosshair?

What happens with camera movements when using this crosshair?

As far as I know if the crosshair is independent from camera and is not atttached to the 2D GUI screeen, then how it woks this 3D crosshair with the main camera? are they totally separate with no relation?

When is needed (if needed) to use also the other plugin World cursor with this Crosshair 3D?

Sorry if I may be asking basic things, or mixing concepts, as I want to learn more about this.

Thanks for your help and I hope I can be able to use this awesome crosshair 3D

Last edited: Jun 20, 2015
  6. vvander

vvander

Hi @SpaceRay. I apologize for the confusion, but thank you for notifying me of your post via PM. I checked the forum settings and hopefully the notification problem will be fixed now. Thank you for your patience.

Unfortunately I cannot give an exact date for those features, as we are no longer actively developing our plugins full-time. This does not mean that our plugins are dead or without support, however - just that we don't make enough money from them to justify full-time development. We do use these plugins for our internal projects, though, so these features will absolutely be developed at some point (since we need them for our own projects), but it will not be anytime in the next month based on our current schedule. Hopefully it will not be much longer than two months, but like I said, I can't guarantee any specific time frame right now.

The crosshair plugin as it is now should be able to accommodate your project. A large amount of the flexibility with this crosshair is the ability to specify the projector object, which is called the "Raycast Origin" in the Unity editor. You can refer to the documentation page for more information, but as an example you could set your weapon as the "Raycast Origin" in order to have the crosshair follow the weapon's orientation as it rotates. There is no need to write a separate script for this functionality.

You're right that the crosshair does not interact with the camera by default, but you can set the camera as the "Raycast Origin" in order to keep the crosshair at a single point on screen. That way, when the camera is rotated the crosshair will move with it. This is how we are using it in the non-VR version of our internal project, so it definitely works well this way.

In summary, I encourage you to experiment with setting different objects in your game as the "Raycast Origin" for the crosshair. This should give you the results you're looking for (if I'm understanding your needs correctly).

Right now the UI integration isn't active for the World Space Crosshair yet, so unless you also need the features of the World Space Cursor itself right now there is no need to use it. Like I mentioned above, UI integration is one of the planned features for this plugin, but I can't give a specific date for its release right now.

Don't worry about asking anything basic! I'm here to help. Hopefully our posting problems are fixed now, so please feel free to post here or contact us directly at support@makeorbreakgames.com if you have any more questions. Good luck and please let me know if I can be of any more help.

7. SpaceRay

SpaceRay

Hello, Thanks very much for the long and detailed answer, is very helpful to have this and know more about it, so now I think will buy it and see how it works and what I can do with it and how can use it

If I have more questions I will tell you, thanks

8. vvander

vvander

No problem, and thank you for your support! Good luck with your project.

9. Jaxogon

Jaxogon

Hi,
    I'd like to change the reticle image via scripting. Is this possible with your asset?

Thanks!

10. vvander

vvander

Hello @Jaxogon, yes this is definitely possible. Your new reticle images/textures will need to use a shader with the Z-test turned off, however. This shader and its source are included with the asset and you are free to modify it if you need to.