Search Unity

[RELEASED] Water 2D line

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Eyeofgod, Jun 8, 2013.

1. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

Water 2D line

$ScreenShot1.png

Hi there,

I have submitted my first package to the Asset Store. It’s a 2d water line simulation. If you don't have any clue of what is this you can check it out here.

It has been designed for mobile use so the performance is great, 60 Fps on iPad1.

It comes with a ready to use water prefab perfectly configured, two water shaders (one for PC/Mac standalone and other for mobile), a sample scene and documentation.

The custom inspector allows you to tweak all the parameters easily (surface color, deep color, mesh subdivisions, surface line color and material, density, size...)

As a bonus I have included simple buoyancy physics. Note that this is not a package center in buoyancy, so don’t expect lifelike buoyancy ;)

This is the link to the Asset store: Water 2D line

Hope you like it!

2. PabloAM

PabloAM

Nice job!

The blur effect is compatible with mobile devices??

Why is needed to upgrade Unity3D to 4.1.3??

Can water "filled up" when happens a collision ?

Thanks!!

3. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

Hi PabloAm,

The blur effect is not compatible with mobile devices (well It works, but destroys performance), and requires unity pro.

Thats because how the Asset Store works. Because I'am working with 4.1.3 version the Package automatically requires the same version... there is no option to change this. Unity should allow us to manually set the desired version...

Yes, you can increase the size of the water plane on X,Y on runtime when something enter or exits it. The source code is available so you just have to do whatever you want on the OnTriggerEnter method.

Thanks for your interest

4. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

It took a while for me to get a decent setting, having a bit more clarification in the documentation on each variable would be nice.

Would it be possible to add an option to trigger waves/splash on just collision with a CharacterController without use of a rigid body? Can't really make much use of the waves otherwise.

Edit:

I've actually run into a pretty big problem! The idle waves simply don't really seem to be working. Even on the included example scene. The surface of the water is flat and super-tense. If I click on the water in the editor, it SEEMS to be doing the proper wave patterns:

http://i.imgur.com/C30nl0L.jpg

But when you actually look at how it actually behaves in game or in the editor when it's not selected, the surface curves aren't showing up at all, just a mostly flat surface with an occasional jitter. When rocks are dropped in, there is little to no reaction from the water surface at all.

http://i.imgur.com/g1izKEr.jpg

Edit Edit: It seems I've found the problem. It appears that if vsync count is set to 'Don't Sync', the water surface fails to work, for some reason...

Last edited: Jun 20, 2013
  5. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

Mmm... very estrange, isn't it? In which platform is Unity configured? And are you on Mac or PC? I have tested it on Mac, with unity on iOS and on Android without problem. Any more clues will be great

6. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

This is Unity 4.1.5, on a PC with Windows 7. (Just updated to the newest unity yesterday so I could install the asset.)

I started an entirely new project with just Water 2D to test the Vsync bug, and it still occurs.

Another really weird clue is that when I tried to create a FRAPS recording of the problem, starting the recording would actually fix the bug. Ending the recording would return the water back to the buggy state. I could literally use the record button as a switch, turning the bug on and off. Unfortunately, it also meant I'm unable to take video of it not working. Could be related to vsync, somehow?

7. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

You were right, it's directly affected by vsync and it behaves different in windows/mac/ios. To solve it you go to the line 367 and change Update() for FixedUpdate() This will solve the issue.

8. AMO_Noot

AMO_Noot

Thanks, that did the trick!

Do you have any recommendations on triggering splashes without use of a rigidbody, by chance?

Edit: Nevermind, we found a workaround!

Thanks for the great asset.

Last edited: Jun 24, 2013
  9. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

Great! I'm here to help :)

10. pixlweaver

pixlweaver

From the screenshot in the first post, it looks like the water has refraction. However the web build does not. Is there a refraction feature? If so, is there a video or web build that shows it in action?

11. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

I bought your Asset last Week.. and tried a few settings and dummy scenes with it..
    Now i´m a bit helpless.. how can i create a underwater effect (with disortion effect..etc.. like in your screenshot..)?

I mean..
    I´ve overwater, the water line.. but no underwater (even in your demo, the underwater part is a filled texture, like there´s no transparency in the water)..

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  12. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

The water refraction shader doesn't work on the web player. I will check it out again, and see if I can fix it

13. OzDave

OzDave

Cheers, I implemented this into my little game.

$Screen shot 2013-08-23 at 7.44.16 PM.JPG

Sp3ci likes this.
  14. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

I'm still trying to solve the shader for the webplayer...

OzDave Congratz! IT's really nice

15. PanCrucian

PanCrucian

Make offset on the surface of the ship could sail. It is necessary that the ship did not create a splash. I hope I have understood :)

16. vividhelix

vividhelix

Hi,

I'm using Water2D with no issues when I drop it into the editor. However, once I make a prefab out of the object containing the water line, when instantiating the prefab I get this problem:

IndexOutOfRangeException: Array index is out of range.
    Water2D.InitializeWater () (at Assets/Water2D/Code/Water2D.cs:347)
    Water2D.Awake () (at Assets/Water2D/Code/Water2D.cs:202)
    UnityEngine.Object:Instantiate(Object, Vector3, Quaternion)

It looks like the mesh has no vertices (I debugged it and meshVertices.Length is 0). Am I missing something?

17. vividhelix

vividhelix

If anyone runs into this, the solution is to remove the mesh filter in the prefab. Alternatively, you can click "Destroy Water" and the apply changes to the prefab.

18. erick_lima

erick_lima

I made a web player build using Water 2D line and I'm troubling with shader I guess. The water is purple, any ideas?

Sp3ci likes this.
  19. langem

langem

Hi, I bought this cool asset a while ago. Now that I try to use it with Unity 4.5 it crashes the editor (test scene) when hitting the play button. Any ideas?

20. Eyeofgod

Eyeofgod

It happens in some hardware + software configurations, normally when using windows 8.1 and an intel integrated card. Try to launch the editor with -force d3d11 or -force OpenGL, and see if it continues happening

21. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi

I am curious, if you wanted water to go flush up against the edge of a platform, how can you stop the first point in the wave going over the top of the platform? Like this:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/dzcf5pv0k529zpl/wateroveredge.mov?dl=0

Something a reviewer mentioned, if you don't want waterSplash or afterPeakwaterSplash or splashSounds and you delete them from the inspector panel, it crashes as those objects are missing. Would be good to add a null check (don't use) in your script.

Also it only works if the gameObject with the rigidbody has a renderer attached. If for example you have a gameObject with no renderer, with a child sprite, then that gameObject won't trigger the water interaction.

You are using _size in ObjectEnteredWater to effect the number of springs right?

p.s your link to this forum in your Asset Store description is wrong
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/en/#!/content/9149

Many thanks!

22. Deleted User

Deleted User

Here is some code I suggest you add:
    Code (csharp):
    2. //FXandsound
    3. if(_emitParticles)
    4.  {
    5. if(instantiatedWaterSplash){
    6. instantiatedWaterSplash.transform.position = myTransform.TransformPoint(meshVertices[selectedVertex]);
    7. instantiatedWaterSplash.Emit(Random.Range(10,20));
    8.  }
    9.  }
    11. //Audiosplash
    12. if(splashSounds.Length > 0) audio.PlayOneShot(splashSounds[Random.Range(0, splashSounds.Length)]);
    and
    Code (csharp):
    2. //Getparticlesready
    3. if (waterSplash) {
    4.   GameObjecttempWaterSplash = Instantiate (waterSplash) asGameObject;
    5.   instantiatedWaterSplash = tempWaterSplash.particleSystem;
    6. }
    7. if (afterPeakwaterSplash) {
    8.   GameObjecttempWaterSplash = Instantiate (afterPeakwaterSplash) asGameObject;
    9.   instantiatedAfterPeakwaterSplash = tempWaterSplash.particleSystem;
    10. }
    Code (csharp):
    2.    voidSplashParticles(int_column)
    3. {
    4. if(instantiatedAfterPeakwaterSplash) instantiatedAfterPeakwaterSplash.transform.position = myTransform.TransformPoint(meshVertices[_column+firstUpVertex]);
    5. if(instantiatedAfterPeakwaterSplash) instantiatedAfterPeakwaterSplash.Emit(Random.Range(5,9));
    6. }

23. Sp3ci

Sp3ci

I've got the same issue. Do you need Unity Pro for this?

Edit: Ok changed to the WaterPlane_Mobile and it works now.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2014
  24. Sykoo

Sykoo

It crashes on my... why?

25. Xevoius

Xevoius

26. awejk

awejk

plugin it's crushed on Unity3d 4.6.1 at the start scene, why?

27. PimajeXenja

PimajeXenja

Hi, I have recently bought this product, and I have an issue. Everything works fine except for custom objects interacting with the water. They go right through without being affected even though I have attached the floating object script.

[EDIT] I didn't see the "use 2d physics" checkbox. Cheers!

28. coshea

coshea

So I've used this asset in a project, although the asset isn't supported by the author any more. I've fixed little bugs, 2d buoyancy, custom sound triggering, pinning ends of the water so they are static etc.

Just tried this on Windows, but it completely crashes in the editor as other people have described above.

It seems that the mesh generated in the editor when you click create water, isn't liked by windows. In the drawGizmos code, the mesh is returning no vertices (even though you can see some), and when you run the example, when setting up the water script and trying to read the vertices from the mesh its returning 0.

Here is the code this asset uses to generate the water mesh:

Code (csharp):
    2. //Lets create the mesh
    3.         proceduralMesh = new Mesh();
    4.         proceduralMesh.name = "Water plane";
    6.         int hCount2 = widthSegments+1;
    8.         int vCount2 = lengthSegments+1;
    9.         int numTriangles = widthSegments * lengthSegments * 6;
    10.         int numVertices = hCount2 * vCount2;
    12.         Vector3[] vertices = new Vector3[numVertices];
    13.         Vector2[] uvs = new Vector2[numVertices];
    14.         int[] triangles = new int[numTriangles];
    16.         int index = 0;
    17.         float uvFactorX = 1.0f/widthSegments;
    18.         float uvFactorY = 1.0f/lengthSegments;
    19.         float scaleX = width/widthSegments;
    20.         float scaleY = height/lengthSegments;
    21.         for (float y = 0.0f; y < vCount2; y++)
    22.         {
    23.             for (float x = 0.0f; x < hCount2; x++)
    24.             {
    25.                 vertices[index] = new Vector3(x*scaleX - width/2f, y*scaleY - height/2f, 0.0f);
    27.                 uvs[index++] = new Vector2(x*uvFactorX, y*uvFactorY);
    28.             }
    29.         }
    31.         index = 0;
    32.         for (int y = 0; y < lengthSegments; y++)
    33.         {
    34.             for (int x = 0; x < widthSegments; x++)
    35.             {
    36.                 triangles[index]   = (y     * hCount2) + x;
    37.                 triangles[index+1] = ((y+1) * hCount2) + x;
    38.                 triangles[index+2] = (y     * hCount2) + x + 1;
    40.                 triangles[index+3] = ((y+1) * hCount2) + x;
    41.                 triangles[index+4] = ((y+1) * hCount2) + x + 1;
    42.                 triangles[index+5] = (y     * hCount2) + x + 1;
    43.                 index += 6;
    44.             }
    45.         }
    47.         //Vertex color:
    48.         Color[] colors = new Color[vertices.Length];
    51.         for (int i = 0; i <(int)(vertices.Length*0.5f); i++) //Deep vertex
    52.         {
    53.             colors[i] = deepColor;
    54.         }
    55.         for (int i = (int)(vertices.Length*0.5f); i <vertices.Length; i++) //Surface vertex
    56.         {
    57.             colors[i] = surfaceColor;
    58.         }
    61.         //Asign mesh properties
    62.         proceduralMesh.vertices     = vertices;
    63.         proceduralMesh.triangles     = triangles;
    64.         proceduralMesh.uv             = uvs;
    65.         proceduralMesh.colors        = colors;
    67.         MeshFilter myMeshFilter = gameObject.AddComponent<MeshFilter>();
    68.         myMeshFilter.mesh = proceduralMesh;
    69.         gameObject.AddComponent<MeshRenderer>();
    Anyone have any ideas as to why this won't work on Windows?