Search Unity

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Okay, I think I've got it:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UFE.Awake ()

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    CharacterSelectionScript.OnGUI () (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/CharacterSelectionScript.cs:237)

Is this it?

2. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yup, this is it. I believe I know what the problem is. If you are using the CharacterSelectScriptcs (script responsible for the character selection screen), make sure you have the profile picture correctly attached to the character in order to have it function.
    Add them as described below:
    $Profile_Pictures.jpg

You can find file examples under UFE\Characters\Demo_Character\Source

3. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thank you, MMind. I will try that.

4. Hur4c4n

Hur4c4n

Hi MMind,
    I'm the creator of Terrordrome - Rise of the boogeymen. http://terrordrome-thegame.com/
    For the commercial Follow-up (Terrordrome is free) we decided to use Unity and eventually hire someone to re-create inside Unity the funtionalities of the 2d engine we used for TRDM. But I stumble upon your program and I think this is what we really needed. UFE looks like a solid product that fits our needs. Im seriously considering buying the open-source version since we will need to customize our game a lot.
    Here are my questions:
    1- Are you planning on adding a Finishers moves system? (popularized by Mortal Kombat), it's a frequent request for a horror fighting game.
    2- Are interactive stages or objects something you plan to add? (ex: Characters able to grab an object from the stage as a weapon, or use an area of the stage to inflict some damage)
    3- We want a customization system inside our game, allowing the player to "create" his own character from a set of pre-made assets. I imagine it possible with the open-source version and a skilled programer right?

Thanx and keep up the great work, UFE looks very promising!

5. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you for your interest!

Absolutely. I believe I forgot to add it to my upcoming features page, but I'll do it right now. However, considering how the code is set, such feat should be relatively easy to accomplish with the open source ( given you have the people/knowledge to do so).

I do have interactables listed as one of my upcoming features, but as you can imagine it can create a vast amount of sub features that not even I am currently aware of.
    Although its not a high priority right now, its definitely something to be implemented in the future =)

You are 100% correct on that. With Mecanim support coming in the next update, such task might be even easier to accomplish.

I'm looking forward to see what you and your team can build. Your project seems very interesting!

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

As professor Farnsworth would say:
    "goood news everyone!"
    So Unity has recently contacted me and they announced UFE (PRO) will be on "Madness" sales from February 3rd to February 14th. If you were holding back or undecided, this is your chance. UFE Pro will have a 50% discount!

Also, because of the new Mecanim implementation, along side a new mecanim compatible character and a new set of animations that will be included in the package, the Source version will have its price readjusted to $225.00. The other versions will remain the same price.
    Those who already purchased UFE Source don't worry, you will not be charged for this or any other update.
    If you haven't purchased Source yet and you plan to I recommend doing it so soon. The price update will probably be in effect before Madness starts.

Mecanim will be available for both Source and PRO, however the Basic version (coming on February) will not have this feature.

7. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

just an idea for a future major update. Why not 3rd and 4rd player support. Would be useful for team base games or games like capcom vs snk.
    Thanks in advance.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Good idea too. And it could create potential openings for Party Brawler games.

I'll see what I can do. In terms of suggestions and upcoming features my agenda is pretty busy, but I've been known to have things done really fast =)

9. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind. I'm still having issues even after following your advice. When I started the engine without the PS3 controller, the models went underneath the stage, making me unable to see them in gameplay. Is there a way to attain my invoice number?

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

It seems its not the same issue but a new one. Again, I would need to see the error before telling you what it could be. From what you said there it seems like either the ground is not set in the layers or you don't have a plane mesh to your stage.
    I recommend using the demo files (stage and character) inside the engine itself and just replace the data inside of them. Its easy to miss a step when you are trying to create everything from zero.

As you can imagine, this is a tool (UFE) inside a tool (Unity). There are plenty of things you can play around both with UFE and Unity, and as any development process goes, with so many tools trying working together in the same environment, breaking something is almost inevitable.
    Its best sometimes if you just play around with everything just to see what it does. Always read the console error messages so you get some clue to what it is and where to start. Even if you don't understand what they mean, with my help you will start to =)
    The functions and variables have pretty self explanatory names so for the most part, so don't worry, eventually you will start to pick things up.

11. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Okay, I will try replacing the game files with the demo files. Thank you for suggesting that to me. But quick question, MMind. I see the files within the demo version of UFE and I want to know how I can go about exchanging the files.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
  12. Blackghost

Blackghost

Hey Mmind, I know you are planning to implement a weapon system in the future. Im not a programmer but I have a couple of ideas on how you may can implement it. You could have a global alternate weapon state (boolean probably), that will only be toggled or activated when a player picks up a weapon. You can have empty slots for weapon animations, that will be toggled on when the player enters the weapon state. Whenever this state is activated, the animations that are assigned to these slots will be toggled on. If the weapon is discarded or dropped, the player will revert back to the default animations.

13. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, guys. Do any of you know how to exchange the UFE (Pro) files with the ones in the demo using Windows? I'm having a little bit of difficulty doing so. Thanks in advance.

14. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

Not only that , but unique with tag team battles like Marvel!. lol. Fighting game companies should have adapted this model a long time ago with team battles in general. its crazy! lol

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  15. Mistermind

Mistermind

UFE files are located under (Project Folder)\Assets\UFE.
    Once you replace the files, make sure they are also listed under move set in the character editor:

$file_move.jpg

You can probably come up with some ingenious solutions involving multiple move sets. A new animation set that is used as a trigger to combat stance in a move like "pick up" for when the character picks up a weapon. As for having the actual weapon on hands, you might have to use one of UFE's events (probably OnMove) so you can dynamically attach the right weapon when "pick up" is executed.
    Although the idea to allow for weapon pick up without the use of code is great, it might take a little while for it to be implemented due to the voted priorities ahead of me. If you are in any major priority or dead line, I recommend getting a junior programmer to help you out, specially if you have the source version, so you don't have to be dependent on the ever growing upcoming features page.

Well tag team is a different story, and its already listed as a major upcoming feature.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  16. Mistermind

Mistermind

Demo updated!
    New character added (mecanim compatible). As an example, I have 3 different models using the same animation set in this new build.

A special thanks to Larry Hendrix for providing me the animations for it!

1.0.3 is coming soon!
    http://www.ufe3d.com/demo/

Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  17. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind. Your tip about the files helped me a little bit, but I still have difficulty exchanging the files. Is there a way you can show a video tutorial of how to exchange the files for Windows 7?

18. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm I'm not entirely sure what exactly you mean by exchanging files on Windows 7, but would this video be of any help?

I'm sorry, but video tutorials really take a lot out of me since English is not my first language. I have to keep it short in terms of what I can say during a video otherwise my accent starts kicking in heavy hehe.

If that video didn't help, try taking some screenshots of what exactly you are having problems with.
    Also, if I may, I would suggest try getting help from a junior programmer, just so he can help you dealing with the harder setup options of UFE.

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

Alrite guys, version 1.0.3 is out!

Here is whats new:
    * Added support for Mecanim Animations
    * New Character with several new moves and animations (Mecanim compatible)
    * Basic Moves list rearranged and divided into groups
    * Added 6 animation options for each blocking animation group
    * Added maximum players distance in the Camera Options
    * Added "snap to current cam position" in Move Editor ->Cinematics
    * Fixed the input system so it records axis being held as the first input of a button sequence
    * Fixed bug where holding up after a diagonal jump would keep the character jumping in that direction
    * Fixed bug where holding an axis down after a round end would freeze the character in that animation
    * Fixed bug that sometimes pushes the character all the way to the other side of the screen during corner combos
    * Fixed bug where the defeated player's body goes in "slow-mo" after the game ends
    * Added option to disable counter force applied when hitting a cornered opponent
    * Added camera shake options on bounce
    * Added optional sound on bounce options
    * Replaced term "Corkscrew" with "Knock Back"
    * Option to disable alternative color added (a new alternative for alt color/texture/model will be added soon)
    * Added space between each hit if continuous hit is toggled in the hit options
    * Added Move Queue Type to Global Editor ->Advanced Options (documentation soon)
    * Added Op. Gauge Gain on Hit to Move Editor -> General
    * Fixed several problems with Cinematics options. Overall improvement of the tool

Instructions:
    For those who purchased in the Asset Store, Source version has already been reviewed by the Unity team. All you have to do is update it and follow the update instructions here. The PRO version is still being reviewed.

Sellfy users may use their download attempt on their previous download link. I'll make sure everyone has enough download attempts left. All versions of UFE from Sellfy are updated.

I'll soon update you guys on a new video:
    UFE Mecanim Integration

Documentation update coming soon too, so stay tuned!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  20. marcipw

marcipw

Cool!

Thanks MMind.

21. Unifier

Unifier

Yay, UFE supports mecanim now! Is there any limitations with mecanim or is it fully supported with all UFE features?

22. Mistermind

Mistermind

Currently there are some limitations, but they shouldn't be much of a problem. I'll making a new video soon highlighting how easy it is to use it. I also wrote a small article (kinda hidden) explaning the pros and cons of each animation type on UFE here: http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/animationtypes

23. Unifier

Unifier

Thank-you! I think now we'll likely be purchasing UFE inside the next week or two. What if I wanted to extend the systems in UFE to 3D movement - am I going to have a lot of problems?

Also, what is the limitation of setting animations to "smoother"?

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  24. Mistermind

Mistermind

Its a little tricky. In an answer to Master Thespian a while back I explained a bit on how one could try looking into achieve this feat.
    Its not an easy task, but technically speaking, it could be done.

Sorry I should have linked that one up. Its explained here:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/character:movesets

Animation Flow
    Sets rather or not the animation should be controlled by the frame rate or by Unity's own animation engine.

More Precision: The animation is controlled by frame rate (recommended)
    Smoother: Unity controls the animation flow, making it look smoother. Don't use it if you have animations and moves that are too fast (below 20 frames)

Last edited: Jan 31, 2014
  25. Unifier

Unifier

My last question before making the purchase has to do with making the gameplay work with 3D movement. I plan on keeping the camera much like it is but the players will be able to move in the Z axis as well and they will rotate towards each other so that they stayed lined up. Are there any major limitations in your setup to allowing the characters to move in 3 dimensions?

26. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yeah, thats what I linked in the previous answer:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/21...-(UFE)/page6?p=1477145&viewfull=1#post1477145

You can follow the conversation and try following some of the hints I mentioned there. Sorry I can't be of much more help than that, but unfortunately I got deadlines on each promised feature. I promise though, as long as I can pay the bills, I'll keep improving upon the engine. One way or the other, the 3D movement out of the box will eventually be released.

27. Mistermind

Mistermind

New video is up!

Learn how to use Mecanim on UFE

Last edited: Feb 1, 2014
  28. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

Does this mean we need to buy a separate package when it eventually comes?

29. Mistermind

Mistermind

Most definitely not!
    Everyone that already have the package will have every update to it completely free.
    There might be price readjustments every now and then depending on the content that gets added, but for everyone that already purchased, there is no extra charge.

30. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

Attached Files:

31. Mistermind

Mistermind

Sure. I'll add it to the list right now.
    Keep in mind though that something like this is way ahead of development. I have some priorities ahead of me voted by the community.
    I can't tell you for sure right now how its going to be developed, but yeah I can get some inspiration from SFxT.

32. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

thank you for reply MMind

33. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

Awesome!

34. Mmccook

Mmccook

Are there any examples of how to override the button config through the UI?

35. Mistermind

Mistermind

Just the commented code, but here, this should help you a bit:
    $UIButton_Configuration.jpg

Navigate to that folder and click on one of the prefabs. All elements used in the current selection screens are set there ;)

36. Ale_alejandro

Ale_alejandro

$red_promo.jpg

Just finished modeling 1 of my characters. i wanted to optimize him before rigging and going to unity. MMind what workflow do you recommend for taking a character from modeling, texturing rigging, then unity then UFE. this "Red Racer" is my first character going into the engine but not the last. i plan on having 6-7 characters in the fighting game depending on time.

i planed on putting a cat rig on him and going from there would that be cool? or do you have another better workflow. thanks!

37. MrEsquire

MrEsquire

Hi dude,

Any chance of mobile support in future versions?
    Any thoughts on this, let us know.

Thank you

38. Mmccook

Mmccook

I was probably not clear enough, I was asking if you had an example(c# ) of remapping the keys while in game , like button config for players. I was trying to remap them via the UFE.player1_Inputs object but I couldn't figure it out.

39. liverolA

liverolA

I just bought one copy of source version, and then find there is No AI now...
    can't wait for too long to next version,i want to implement some basic AI myself, but after some hours failed,
    is there some instructions for this? how to add some easy/test AI for the character, In UFE.cs there is a FireMove function but
    it is only used to callback, not an action, would you please give some fast instructions for add test AI???
    because i dont' want to pay 225$ for a package we can't use now...Thanks

40. Mistermind

Mistermind

http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/upcomingfeatures
    In this page you will find every upcoming feature, all ordered by priority. Mobile port is the third in the list, right after AI and grappling.
    All these 3 features are the most requested, and definitely my top priority on the "second season" of my development schedule.

Well as far as porting something done on Maya or Max to Unity, all you have to do is export it to an FBX file. You can use other formats, but FBX seems to be the most stable and highly recommended one. Once you do that you can follow my video tutorials on how to add the hitboxes and create a move. Don't forget to check the live docs as well.

There is no run-time remapping unfortunately. The Input Manager system from Unity is, for some reason, closed source. Its actually one of the most requested features in their wishlist page. Given that you followed the installation instructions, to change the inputs you must go to the input manager (Edit -> Project Settings -> Input)
    $Input_Manager.jpg

Make sure you read everything before purchasing!

I'm sorry liverolA, but the questions you are asking are a bit too vague. I'm not sure how to exactly reply to them.
    The AI is already scheduled as an upcoming feature here, and it has been voted by the community for the next priority for major development.
    Unfortunately AI is not something we can just snap our fingers and have it done. Saying words like "easy", "simple" or "basic", from my perspective, won't make my development any faster or easier to accomplish.

Given I'm just one person, if you really need the AI now and can't wait for the next development cycle, I suggest you hire a senior programmer to help out.

The money you spent for this tool already saved you thousands of dollars and months of production in a game engine. Although the AI is undeniably a very important missing piece of the puzzle, it does not demise the actual product or what it can do, so I'd say that last sentence is a bit inaccurate.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  41. liverolA

liverolA

Thanks for the truth,
    currently we don't want a "real" or complex AI,we just want to this Eg. let the player2 to fire a punch automaticlly,is this hard?
    can i modify somewhere or are there some functions i can add to do this,even like simulate a keypress!! Just need some test moves!! make the player2 like a Bot!

So what i need is not a smart AI but some functions to:

Let the player2 fire a light punch..
    Let the player2 fire a heavy punch..

Some function like : UFE.GetPlayer2().FireSimulateMove("PunchLight").
    These moves were controlled by code,not by Input. That's all!

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  42. Mistermind

Mistermind

You can try looking into the ControlsScript.cs. The button execution response is inside the Update function in a loop beginning on line 244. The input detection comes directly from the Input class from Unity but I don't think there is a way to force a state in an input. You can try manipulating the conditions inside that loop so it reads both button inputs or specific AI conditions.
    For example, on line 310, where it says:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (Input.GetAxisRaw(inputRef.inputButtonName) > 0) {
    you could try something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (Input.GetAxisRaw(inputRef.inputButtonName) > 0 || (gameObject.name == "Player2"  AIScript.GetCommand() == "Jump") ){
    Or even go as far as deliberately assign a move to the currentMove variable inside the script depending on a condition. Remember to always test if the gameObject.name is Player2 otherwise it will trigger on both players:

Code (csharp):
    1. // ControlsScript.cs
    2. void Update(){
    3.     if (gameObject.name == "Player2"  AIScript.GetCommand() == "Fireball"){
    4.         foreach(MoveInfo move in myInfo.moves){
    5.             if (move.moveName == AIScript.GetCommand()) {
    6.                 currentMove = move;
    7.                 AIScript.SetCommand(null);
    8.                 break;
    9.             }
    10.         }
    11.     }
    12.     ....
    13. }
    AIScript doesn't actually exist. This is just an example on how you could communicate with ControlsScript.cs using a class like that.

43. liverolA

liverolA

Thanks, I will give it a try!!!

PS:

Yes, finally i figure this out!
    thanks for the hint!

44. liverolA

liverolA

Got another problem,in the demo example, the mecanim Robot and Joan 's stand light punch will not hurt the player2? also the heavy stand punch will not hurt,but the medium punch can hurt.
    why?

The moves animation play normally,but will not hurt the other player.
    I compared the move setting with the legacy animation character,seems no different!
    do they miss some setting or what? (In source version).

45. Mistermind

Mistermind

My best guess is that you are suffering from frame rate issues while testing.
    Mecanim Bot and Joan are both Mecanim compatible characters, and they both use Animation Type - Smoother (more here: http://ufe3d.com/doku.php/character:movesets). The problem with this configuration is that when the frame rate drops, an animation can end up skipping some frames thus losing some of its active frames.
    It could be something else thought. I've just ran some tests here and everything looks find on my end as far as "out of the box configuration" goes.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  46. Mistermind

Mistermind

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

Can i used on my 2D project? (It's a side scroll 2D fight Game) With new features along version 4.3 of Unity.. 2D sprites manager from Unity...

48. Mistermind

Mistermind

Currently UFE do not support 2d hand drawn animation. The hitbox system must connect to the joins in a 3d character rig. There -might- be ways around using SmoothMoves (ChaneDev tried it, you can check his post here), but I can't provide support nor tell you for sure if its going to work.
    There are some plans to expand the tool into the 2D realm though, but its not certain.
    Feel free to navigate the thread as you will find a lot of similar questions and answers that might help you.

49. johnny12345

johnny12345

im confused about update i purchased the original source code from here as you mentioned before just click on the original sellfy link and that should have the updated version but i only have to more downloads left what now

50. Mistermind

Mistermind

You mean you only have 2 download attempts left? Don't worry. Go ahead and use it. If you need any more attempts just send me a PM. I checked all the quantities and you guys all still have attempts left.