Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

Wow, this looks pretty amazing! Just spent nearly two hours reading through all the posts and poking at documentation, and I might be falling in love!

I'll be buying the open source package in a few days to give you support!

Voted for AI as the next big feature.

Would love to see PlayMaker support.

Basically I would love to adapt this into something similar to Muramasa: The Demon Blade. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SAHME_7mizg

~C

2. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

Agreed.

3. TopThreat

TopThreat

Assuming you are still using mecanim and I can import my own chars (There are two threads and I am not clear on what you ended up with) I will buy the Source version of this as soon as you have some basic AI out for it. AI does not have to be genius level for most of us. Hell, use computer cheats to make the opponent stronger for all I care. I just need to be able to have a player be able to fight the mobs that I pop in as opponents (once again - assuming you allow for mecanim so I don't have to create animations for every specific character I have the main char fighting...)

Also - Are there any particular project settings that have to be set in addition to the input settings (settings such as forward rending support or gamma space only) or any other settings that would impact merging this with a different existing project ?

4. Mistermind

Mistermind

When the time comes, I will take a closer look at PlayMaker and see if there is any possibility. I've added it as "study for possible implementation" to the upcoming features page.

Currently UFE does not support mecanim, but after reviewing some of the functionality of Unity 4.3, there might be a chance I can adapt Mecanim to UFE. You can read my review on Mecanim here. The "re-study" of Mecanim implementation is already listed on the upcoming features page.

This is the official one now. I explained in that topic I would be moving to this one because we can't edit the title or polls that were already posted. You can read more about it in the last pages of that topic or in the first post of this thread (under *).

The initial focus of the engine is to present a professional approach to commonly used editors and engine that makes up the fighting game industry today. AI is next on my list of major updates, but as I explained in a reply to jaelove, It won't be as simple as we would like it to be. It involves a lot of possibilities and I'll try making it so it can actually read your game rules and act accordingly. Anything less than that would end up affecting the quality of the project as a whole. You can check out the polls here.

Aside from replacing the InputManager from your project, you must also set the first 3 layers of your project under Project Settings -> Tags (User Layer 8, 9 and 10) to Ground, Projectile1 and Projectile2 respectively. That shouldn't be too much of a problem when merging UFE with an existing project. To read more about the installation procedures and how to update an existing copy of UFE click here.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  5. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Okay, MMind. I found the Hurricane Kick on the Mixamo Store ($5.00) and I'm trying to follow the guidelines you've given on the website, but I don't know how to implement the move, as in finish making the move and copying it to the Demo Character's moveset. Is there any way I can do this?

Thank you for replying to my last post.

6. Mistermind

Mistermind

Because U.F.E. operates using the Legacy animation system (and not Mecanim), you won't be able to use Unity for that procedure. There might be ways of doing that using 3D Max, Blender or Maya, but for Unity to simply read humanoid characters and animations as one, it needs Mecanim. Take a look at this thread, as I explained why UFE could not operate with Mecanim.

I already added a "re-study" on Mecanim added to the upcoming updates as it received some significant improvements with 4.3, but I can't say for sure it will be doable.

7. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Oh, okay. Thank you. I am also trying to add another Heavy Fireball attack and modify it into a Shakenetsu Hadoken, an actual fire Hadoken like the one Akuma uses. I want to make sure the fireball is red and the opponent is engulfed in flames for a couple of seconds when he or she is hit. Is there a way I can do that?

8. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

I'd also recommend checking out PlayMaker for laying out varied event based behavior routines. I could see a way of doing AI where you would run an input recorder for moves and sequences. Once you've gathered the data you can use events to play the move sequences.

You could loop through a bunch of routines that make the AI aggressive or defensive and then layer attack routines on top.

You can also then vary AI routines based on a few states defined by the game (round time, player proximity, AI health, AI Super Meter, Player Health, Player Super, etc.)

I'm going to see what I can hack together with PlayMaker and this package. I'll work on prototyping a brawler side scroller using this as the combat engine. Very excited!

I'm going to do tile mapped levels, do you have any advice on the best way to hack in to the level system? I'm going to try out the Rotorz Tile System for the level editing. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2ze2VfFqAc&feature=youtu.be

Just purchased EFE Source and getting everything setup!

9. Mistermind

Mistermind

To have a different fireball you could maybe edit the texture of the fireball that comes with UFE or purchase different assets from the asset store. I personally recommend FlyingTeapot assets for that.

As for applying a different effect when the opponent gets hit, you could try applying some particles effects to the hit effect options under Global Editor.
    Currently, without the use of code, this is the only way, but I might be able to add some extra options to applied particle effects or texture change on hit as time goes by.

10. Mistermind

Mistermind

You could try that probably for the particular project you have ahead of you. As for a feature available on UFE, I will have to consider other factors as the engine is open for a LOT of different game play. People like jaelove and liero116 are already in very advanced stages of development and let me tell ya: Looking at both games its like looking at Street Fighter and Mortal Kombat. The only thing they have in common is that they are both 2d plane fighting games.

That could be very helpful! And later if you'd like to, you could offer whatever adjustment you made to the engine as an addon on the asset store (given it requires UFE to work)

There is a stage system you could maybe play around with it a bit and see where you can go from there. Try stretching the boundaries of a selected stage under Global Editor for example.

11. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Okay. Thank you, MMind.

12. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

On a side note I am a HUGE fighting game player/fan. I logged over 1000 hours with the Tekken series alone. I've always wondered why no one ever did a great scroller/adventure game mixed with a good fighting game engine.

Did a little controls/test video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydRFly6v6OU

Are you putting in run when you tap forward 3 times and hold forward like in Tekken?

13. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'm glad you made that test video =) Please keep us posted on whatever video you decide to have during your development progress!

Interesting move concept. What caught my attention there was the run. Although I imagine you -could- make a move like that by using UFE's OnMove event, it does take some creativity to pull it together currently. I'll study the possibility here and add it to the upcoming features. If any of you guys who already have the engine managed to figure that out please feel free to share =)

Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  14. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

Tools are pretty easy to use and the demo project let's you see your thought process pretty clearly. Overall pretty cool stuff!

How much effort do you think it will be to support multiple ground planes or platforms (good for the Smash Bros. battle style too)?

A few questions to help with this Frankenstein...

Where is the best place to hack out, or to hack in the loading of player 2?

Here is my newest crime against humanity... :) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHn-95Jt9HA&feature=youtu.be

15. Mistermind

Mistermind

I would say start with Physics.cs under the Scripts folder.
    I would recommend you also check out the TrainingRoom and replace the "Plane" used as ground with a different mesh, but I believe you already done that as I can see in your video =)

I'm not sure I understand the question. You mean load a different character?

Thats pretty cool! That should probably get some Smash Bros fans very excited =D

You are definitely in the right path. Keep hacking it up, play with all those variables. Even the scripts that are not fully commented have pretty easy to understand function names.

So guys, good news for some of you:
    Because of the lack of a proper mirror system for Legacy animation, UFE uses a somewhat outdated work around to "turn" the characters when they change directions. If a character has complex shaders, this work around may cause some noticeable visual glitches. So, due to the importance of this feature along with an overwhelming amount of other options, I'm pushing "re-study of Mecanim" as a priority after this next video I'm working on, as it has a "mirror" variable that can potentially fix all our problems.

Notice I said "re-study". That means I'll try my best to come up with a solution that can suit the engine without using its visual editor. If that can't be accomplished, I'll let you guys know.

For those who are already working with the Legacy system, don't worry. I intend to leave both options open. Switching your animations to Mecanim is also rather easy so don't worry about any rework.

In the meantime, enjoy the screenshot for the next video tutorial: The move editor

$MoveEditorTutorial.jpg

16. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

Sorry, what I meant was:

Where should I look to remove player 2? Is it possible to hack player 2 out without breaking everything (sorry not really a coder).

What would be the best way to create a new player 2 during run time?

Looking forward to the next tutorial video!

17. Mistermind

Mistermind

Currently I don't think that is gonna be so easy without modifying a lot of code. The engine is currently designed to work with 2 characters, and all of its variables are highly connected towards that goal.
    In the near future I plan on creating a beat 'em up alternative in witch multiple characters can join the battle, as well as having tag-team feature on UFE that will allow for multiple character recognition, but for now however, I'd say there is no way around other then tempting with the code.

18. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Quick question, MMind. Is it possible to import characters used in the Unity Multipurpose Avatar after content has been added to them to create your own character? If you don't know who created it, please Google/YouTube Fernando Ribeiro.

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

Yes I've heard of UMA, but I have not had the chance to try it out yet. As far as I can tell, if the exported model/gameobject has a bone hierarchy it can work.

I wish I could spare some hours to play around with that tool. It seems incredibly good, but I have to sort my update priorities.
    As soon as I get some spare time I'll definitely take a look at it, and maybe even look into possible connectivity around UFE.

20. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thank you, MMind.

21. Ale_alejandro

Ale_alejandro

hows it going mmind. Im in the proccess now of finishing my game design document and creating assets for the fight engine. i have 2 main features that i want my game to have but since im new to coding i want to run it by you to make sure it possible before i document it

1. Power up mode-my characters will fight with various hand to hand martial arts to start off with but i want them (once meter is gained) to be able to"powerup" this would trigger a a quick cinematic then allow the powered up character to use a weapon making his damage boosted during that period of time. I know this is possible as i read your documentation and you stated the stance change can be a.sort of a power up. I just wanted to.run this by you and get your thoughts.

2.the other feature i want to add is making it so each level has different effects on the fighters. For example level A meter gain is x2 or level B gravity is enhanced. How hard would something like that be to implement?

Thanks for.any help. Im about 2 weeks away from those features as my main focus this weekend will be getting my characters in unity and testing performance and animating more moves.

[

Last edited: Jan 16, 2014
  22. Mistermind

Mistermind

You are right on the money =) Stance change is the best way to approach that. Make a move that consumes meter and trigger a cinematic (make it so the game freezes so it creates a nice effect), and maybe add some nice particle effect to it using the particle effects option.

For meter gain you can use the OnMove event from UFE. From there you could use UFE.config.selectedStage.stageName to check on the stage and then add extra meter points to the character.
    Here is how this would look in the code:

Code (csharp):
    1. void OnMove(MoveInfo move, CharacterInfo player){
    2.    if (UFE.config.selectedStage.stageName == "Lava Stage"){
    3.       player.currentGaugePoints += move.gaugeGainOnMiss
    4.    }
    5. }
    And for the gravity, something like this:

Code (csharp):
    1. void OnGameBegins(CharacterInfo player1, CharacterInfo player2, StageOptions stage){
    2.    if (stage.stageName == "Moon Stage"){
    3.       UFE.config.gravity = 0.13f;
    4.    }else{
    5.       UFE.config.gravity = 0.37f;
    6.    }
    7. }
    Cheers!

23. Ale_alejandro

Ale_alejandro

thank you soooo much man!:D:D

24. Mistermind

Mistermind

New video is up!

A special thanks to Emmanuel Marenco for allowing me to use the character in this video!

25. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Hey dude, two questions:

Any book or tutorials you recommend to fully understand the engine?

A full start to finish tutorial would be great, I'd even pay for it. Are you planning on doing one? Or will you go topic by topic, so in the end we'll have the full "course"?

Sorry if I sound really amateurish, it's because I am, heh. But I keep learning more about Unity, so I hope I get to the point were I use your engine to it's full potential.

26. Mistermind

Mistermind

http://www.ufe3d.com could be considered a "book" per say hehe. UFE does require some minimum understanding of maneuvering around Unity however.
    Unity offers some fantastic tutorial for beginners. About 8 months ago when I first started playing with Unity I remember watching a free live classes provided by them. It was amazing. Here is the link: http://unity3d.com/learn/live-training

As far as "where do I begin", considering you went through the installation process, UFE doesn't really have a starting point. Most people are just reverse engineering the demo provided with the engine, witch I personally recommend as well.
    The video tutorials I provided so far do create some files from scratch (character and moves), but for the most part I'd say you can just use the demo and play with the values so you can get more confidence around the tool.

I plan on going topic by topic.
    There is no "right path" when using UFE. As a tool designed to tweak values, you don't have to follow a strict step-by-step to have a working game. The best way to play with UFE is literally don't be afraid to play with it. Change values to ridiculous numbers just to see what happens, delete stuff, create stuff, try messing with the models. "Break" UFE. Afterall, you can always restore it and start again =)

Unfortunately the end result of a tutorial like this is nothing short of a very VERY long set of takes hehe.
    Because of my accent, sometimes I have to record the same audio take about 10 times before getting it to sound at least understandable. This last tutorial for example took me about 5 days. 2 days recording the video, 3 days recording the audio.
    Its rather frustrating to "think" in English but express it poorly like me lol.

You can. Remember: Don't be afraid to play around with the tool. Sometimes we need step-by-step tutorials so we don't "screw up", but in the case of UFE, go ahead and "screw up". Its definitely the best way to learn.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2014
  27. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Thanks man, I'll do that. Is Spanish your first language? (Guessing by your last name)

28. Mistermind

Mistermind

Nope. Portuguese.

29. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

This is amazing. I'd suggest adding support to Final IK assap and what about networking?
    Online gameplay for this would be sick!!

30. Mistermind

Mistermind

Final IK seems VERY interesting indeed. Since I just began studying the possible Mecanim implementation. its worth taking a closer look to its capabilities.
    Networking comes later, so I haven't added to any of the major updates polls yet. Definitely on my to-do though.

31. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Consider UMA as well =)
    (Parabéns pelo projeto, muito maneiro!)
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/219175-UMA-Unity-Multipurpose-Avatar-on-the-Asset-Store!

32. Mistermind

Mistermind

33. liero116

liero116

If anyone's on the fence about what sort of stuff you can do with this engine, check this out.

I made the assets myself (except for the character model) and did nothing but heavily modify move and game properties. It's pretty clear that you can do a lot with UFE.

34. Mistermind

Mistermind

You know what's funny? I was gonna ask your permission to use a video footage of what you sent me earlier on a UFE trailer =D
    This is just fantastic man. You and jaelove have amazing projects in your hands.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  35. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

Hey MMind, another possibility for your list of things in the future. Supporting Smooth Moves. http://www.echo17.com/smoothmoves.html

It would be cool to be able to do 2D billboard with Smoothmoves animations and to hook that into the combat system. I managed to get an animation triggering, but of course all the character preview stuff falls apart. This would allow for a full 2D creation and animation tweaking system inside Unity.

Cheers,
    ~C

36. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind. Do you know where people can download 3D environments which can be played in as stages for UFE? I tried TheFree3DModels.com, but the only thing I could find was a beach in multiple formats, like .fbx.

37. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, liero116, do you know which website you found such stages like this? It looks really cool to use.

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

That is already possible with the GUI scripts commented and completely separated (and open source for all versions) from the core of the Engine.
    I haven't had the chance to play with Smooth Moves yet, but I'm sure their tools have similar means of compatibility when it comes to Unity.

In the case of UFE, take a quick look at UFE\Scrips\GUIScript.cs. There are several events within the system that is set to trigger whenever something in the game changes. One can use one of those events to trigger animations from a billboard from Smooth Moves. I know some of you are not very familiar with coding, but that is the one area I had to leave as open as possible so everyone can adjust it to their liking. The only way I could leave it 100% customizable was through an open source guided code.
    I -might- consider PlayMaker just because its an interesting alternative to play around with UFE events without messing with the actual code. These other implementations should probably become much easier with that.

That is more related to Unity actually. What you have is a model file. Now you have to convert it to a prefab. UFE works with prefabs, witch are basically generic objects from Unity.
    A prefab is made by dragging a model to the scene then dragging it back to the project tab. This creates this generic object Unity can read. Now just drag that prefab to the stage options.
    Prefabs are useful for setting different things to a single object like scripts, lights and even more models. You can, for example, have a dojo model then create lights, background objects and other things into this object then save it as a prefab.

For more on prefabs click here.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  39. ChaneDev

ChaneDev

I poked around in GUIScript.cs, but wasn't able to get the frame based animation to come through from Smooth Moves. I think I get what you mean though.

I was playing around tonight with Smooth Moves UFE... I'm going to abandon further tests, but thought you'd like to hear the outcome and see a franken-vid.

Trying to create hit box data I get this.
    NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    HitBoxesScript.OnDrawGizmos () (at Assets/UFE/Scripts/HitBoxesScript.cs:254)
    UnityEditor.DockArea:OnGUI()

Basically I am unable to assign the transform of the quad to the hitbox... (I think)

===

UFE suggestion. It would be great if I could lock my UFE config file to the UFE windows. I am constantly having to open it again when I do other things in the Unity project.

===

Rebuilding animation data in Smooth Moves removes the references to the animation clips in UFE. (Just for reference)

Clips authored in Smooth Moves don't play at the same speed when triggered from UFE (not sure why, I tried authoring at different rates, and adjusting Total Frames, but I couldn't get the clips to play close to speed.

In the video Chef on the right is loaded with UFE, Chef in the middle is in the scene. Chef in the middle is triggering move/animation data with PlayMaker. Chef on the right is calling the clips through UFE.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NWCIvBCWuzM&feature=youtu.be

Next I'll play with UFE more like it is intended :)

40. liero116

liero116

Actually I made that stage myself. I'm more on the art end of production than anything else, though I have a pretty clear understanding of how to make things work the way I want them to. Either way, UFE makes it a lot easier.

41. sirius_002

sirius_002

Smooth moves is Playmaker compatible, so it could be a good fit.

42. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm. The hitbox link to the body part requires a Transform component.
    I'd have to run some tests myself to see the possibilities, but I think you are on the right path.

Yeah it annoys me a bit too hehe. I could make it so by default it loads a predefined located configuration file, but I'm not sure if that is such a good idea, as it would make UFE files dependable on folder structures. I'll try finding an alternative for that eventually.

Given the extend of both engines, its no surprise some algorithms may end up having some "conflict of interest" =)

UFE is designed to work at a fixed 60 FPS. It sets the Fixed Timestep so it can run at this speed. You can change that on Global Editor -> Advanced Options.
    This configuration could be overriting some of Smooth Move configuration.

Interesting =)
    Yeah Playmaker is definately something to be considered in the near future.

-----------

Ok guys, now for some news:
    I'm glad to announce that after 6 days of work here I'm close to complete the development of a new tool called Mecanim Control. This tool will be automatically integrated completely free and open source for both the PRO and Source versions of UFE.
    With this tool UFE will now allow you to set individual character's animations to be either Legacy or Mecanim, allowing you to use Humanoid or Generic animations.

Mecanim Control will allow developers to use the Animator Component with tools similar to the Animation Component for legacy animation.
    Since Mecanim is still in its very early development, very feel games can actually get its full potential out of it. Visual tools are great, but when a project gets too big, those tools becomes virtually impossible to use. Unfortunately Unity never provided us with actual code controls, but now you can. With Mecanim Control you will be able to:
    - Dynamically add and remove clips
    - set speed of individual clips
    - toggle animation mirror at runtime
    - set clip position
    - Extended play and cross fade features
    - and a lot more.

I intend to also offer this tool for free in the asset store so it can be used for other projects as well.

More information coming soon, so stay tuned!

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  43. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

All right. Thank you.

44. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Awesome! :D

45. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind. I'm not sure if anyone has already posted this, but I followed your steps to make UFE (Pro) work on Unity, but when I get past the main menu, these sorts of errors pop up:

NullReferenceException: Object Reference not set to an instance of an object. UFE.Awake (x3)

Unity Exception: InputAxis P1KeyboardHorizontal is not setup.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.

CharacterSelectionScript.OnGUI

Is there anything I can do to playthrough UFE (Pro) on Unity?

46. Mistermind

Mistermind

That is odd. Have you gone through the all the installation steps described here?

Have you replaced your InputManager.asset with the one provided with the package?

47. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

I did. I refollowed your steps, and even after I did the steps over, I still have four errors:

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an object. UFE.Awake () (x3)

as well as

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an object. CharacterSelectionScript.OnGUI ()

48. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm. Can you copy and paste the first message of the error?
    Click on the first 'Object reference not set to an object. UFE.Awake' and copy what is shown in the console, (the box right below the list)

Also, from what the error seems to be pointing out, check the following:
    Do you have "Start Game Immediately" from the Global Editor window toggled on? If so, have you dragged 2 character files to it? Without it, the game can't start as it doesn't have any character selected. Here is an example:
    $GlobalEditorGeneral.jpg

49. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Here is the error code, MMind. I took your advice about the "start game automatically" option, but when I tried it, it didn't work.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    UFE.Awake ()

50. Mistermind

Mistermind

No that is not the error I'm looking for =)
    Here is a screenshot of what I need:
    $Console.jpg

Once I get that I might be able to tell you what it is.
    If nothing else works, e-mail me your invoice number (mistermind [at] live . com) so I can send you an updated copy of UFE pro.