Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Where would he find it? Is it before or during the purchase?

2. Mistermind

Mistermind

Sorry I think I misunderstood the question. Yeah you get the purchase ID as soon as the purchase is completed. I believe they function by receiving payments directly from paypal.
    I tried Amazon, but they seem to be restricted about what can be sold there, not to mention their very limited support for people from other countries.

The alternative would be to wait for the Asset Store to approve UFE. With any luck I believe they should be doing it so on Monday (I'm assuming that's when they return from holidays)

3. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thank you, MMind. I'll be sure to tell him.

4. PearDeveloper

PearDeveloper

i really love you for this :D
    it is incredible engine thanks

5. Mistermind

Mistermind

Thank you =)
    And get ready cause the update will blow your mind guys!

6. Blackghost

Blackghost

7. Mistermind

Mistermind

Alrite guys, version 1.0.2 is out.
    I've just done a check here on all the sales and you all still have most of your download attempts. For those who already purchased UFE, just click on the download linked provided to you by Sellfy again. If any of you need more downloads attempts send me a private message.

This update is free of charge and its available to all versions of UFE (Pro and Source).

I'm still working on the documentation update, but for now you guys can check out some of the new features below (or in this link):

• New variable added to Move Editor: Input Leniency (explanation). In other words, you can now execute simple moves in between move execution.
    • Air Juggle Deterioration: Now it can be based on combo hits or air hits.
    • Fixed "hiccups" when the game starts for the first time.
    • Fixed bug during hitbox edition: offset not being applied.
    • Fixed character editor tool's character viewer. It no longer gets removed if you lose the window focus. Make sure you close the character before testing your game.
    • Fixed bug during hitbox edition: offset not being applied.
    • Fixed moves being executed on release even though they were toggled off for “on button release”.
    • Fixed being able to cross over the opponent when they are knocked down.
    • New variable added to the character: Ground collision mass. This creates a new "Body mass" hitbox that sits close to the ground. When the character gets knocked over this blocks the cross-up.
    • New variable added to move's invisible hitboxes: Ignore Body Colliders. If this is toggled on the move can ignore the body colliders and if enough force is applied, pass right through the opponent.
    • New option added for hit stun type: seconds (along side Frames and Frame Advantage)
    • Added Announcer Options. Currently supports up to 10 voice over announcements.
    • Camera options under Global Editor can now be edited at run-time.
    • New variable added to the some basic move animations: Hide Hitboxes. It allows the character to become temporarily invincible during the animation.
    • Removed Unblockable as a hit type. If you want a move to be unblockable just make sure it doesn't have a blockable area under Active Frames.
    • New basic move added: Get Hit Low. If a hit connects in a lower hit box (configurable in the character editor -> Hit Box setup), it triggers this animation group.
    • New knockdown moves added to basic moves: Get Hit High Knockdown, Get Hit High-Low Knockdown, Get Hit Sweep, Get Hit Crumple. You can set moves to trigger different forms of knockdowns as well as have different Stand Up animation for each knockdown move.
    • Knockdown options vastly improved. It now allows for you to set the amount of time the opponent stays down and how long it takes for them to get up in each of the knockdown option above. The options for quick stand and delayed stand are there, but not yet operational.
    • New basic move and hit type added: Get Hit Corkscrew.
    • The following basic moves now support up to 6 different animations: Get Hit Crouching, Get Hit High, Get Hit Low. Each animation assigned to each type of hit (Weak, Medium, Heavy, Custom 1, Custom 2, Custom 3)
    • New toggle added on combo options: Minimum Corkscrew Force. If the opponent gets hit in the air with an horizontal force higher then this value, they go into a corkscrew animation set under Basic Moves.
    • 3 new options added to the hit under Move Editor -> Active Frames: Hit ground opponent, hit air opponent, hit down opponent. Tag or untag one of the options to have your move only work when the character is at a certain state.
    • Added "auto-correct" variable under Move Editor. If this is toggled on, this move will automatically correct its rotation in case it cross the opponent over.
    • Several minor bugs fixed.

How to upgrade your current UFE build:
    If you don't want to move your work to a new project, you can just follow these procedures:
    Source Version: Replace the files under the folder UFE/Scripts and UFE/Editor with the folders from UFE 1.0.2.
    Pro Version: Replace Plugins/UFE.dll with Plugins/UFE.dll from UFE 1.0.2.

If you are still running things with Demo_Character, you might need to replace his old files (UFE/Demo_Character/Source/Demo_Character.asset and everything under UFE/Demo_Character/Moves/ with their counter part folders from UFE 1.0.2.).

*Remember to backup your project before you proceed!*
    During this process you -may- lose some data already recorded under your character or move editors (mainly the animation clip references from basic moves). By having a backup you may be able to double check the changes between the files. Don't panic. This is a rather simple task.

And as usual, if you need any support, PM me or reply this thread. If you think your question can help others, I recommend posting it here =)

Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  8. Mistermind

Mistermind

9. ZOAGS

ZOAGS

That's great to hear =D You certainly deserve the praise, especially with that recent update.

I'd definitively be in favour of that =D Just out of curiosity, if you decided to work on something like this, what exactly would you include in such an option? Would it be just like a normal fighting game except the fighters can move around freely? I mean, there's a lot of stuff you could use from or draw inspiration from the Smash series, like bubble shields, simplified controls, dodging and maybe even some advanced stuff for pro players like l-canceling, dash dancing, wave dashing, directional influence and a lot of other stuff I can't remember right now...where would you draw the line? What would your "Party Brawler" include?

I'd be happy if it included "just" (mind the quotation marks, guys, I know it's not an easy job) these things:

- Free movement (not forced to constantly face the opponent)
    - Reworked shield as a consequence of the above
    - Number of fighters scalable

Imagine where you could take your tool if you build in such options. Add free movement and you could get games like Smash Bros. Add free movement into the 3d arena too and you could get games like Dragon Ball Z Budokai Tenkaichi or Dissidia. Include the ability to scale the number of fighters participating in a fight and you could get Beat'em Up games like Double Dragon, Final Fight, Castle Crashers and so on. It would certainly give your tool the diversity it needs to be a truly "universal" fighting engine. I'm sure you would be the right person for something like this.

But hey, whatever you do, I'm enjoying what you already did way more than I should. XD

Btw, I always called these games "Beat'em up Fighting Game Hybrids" - games like Super Smash Bros., PlayStation All-Stars, Power Stone 2 and that weird Konami fighting game. That's pretty much what they are: Fighting games with the option to have more than two players in a fight.

Last edited: Jan 7, 2014
  10. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind. Do you know if the engine has been approved for the Unity Asset Store yet? Has the staff returned from their vacation?

11. Mistermind

Mistermind

I figured the Smash Bros community had their terms and lingoes as well hehe. As I explained Master Thespian in a private message, having a professional tool that fits every need of a specific fighting style perfectly won't be easy.
    Just like 2.5D games, Party Brawl and 3D arena styles are all so different from one another it almost requires a professional player at each genre that just happens to be a programmer to make it "feels" just right. Party Brawl -might- be an easier road for me right now mostly because in some ways it resembles a 2.5D engine a bit more, but even that is going to take some time. In the meantime, if you guys really need a tool like that, you can strip down the code from UFE Source and figure out ways to adapt some of the core into a game like that. The code is fairly well commented and it even has its own static class.

Man I gotta tell ya... I'm running out of ideas on how to contact the Asset Store. You can imagine how frustrated I am too.
    I've sent them an e-mail yesterday asking yet again if there is any news about UFE. Now we just gonna have to wait another week for whoever normally replies with probably another generic answer.
    This is the last reply I got from them on December 30th to an e-mail I sent on December 23rd:

We can speculate that the entire Unity team went on a long vacation so I didn't want to bother them with multiple e-mails over the past week, but given we are 23 days on "hold", I just hope they don't reply me a week from now saying "its still on hold, you will hear from an admin soon".

I honestly don't know what else to do. If you guys have any idea, or know anyone else I should speak to (that won't ignore us lol) I'd be glad to give it a shot.

12. BlankMauser

BlankMauser

I would be in favor of a smash brothers-like engine, however the physics would have to be much more involved then any other fighting game to be made to work correctly. Not only are there a lot of animations and states in smash brothers, but each character has their own weight, fall speed, air momentum, hitstun etc. They also have different physics for shielding, and items.

That said, have you ever had thoughts on adding online support built into the engine? Rollbacks sound very powerful when implemented correctly at the lower levels of coding. I think thats about the biggest thing I can think of missing from this fantastic engine.

13. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

Pretty much this ^

I think the current major features that are listed are more needed then anything else.hell, grabbing is not even active yet. Core mechanics should be key I'm guessing before altering the way traditional fighting game elements overall since smash is more a party/brawler. I can only imagine how difficult it will be to merge to different engines both traditional and brawler. That's why the source code is there for a reason to give you that option. Although online support would be something to consider since is mandatory in fighting games nowadays.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  14. Visout

Visout

Just wanted to chime in that it is the 3D arena functionality that I am most looking forward to see, along with the environmental objects.

MMind, how difficult, in the current design of the code, would it be to add an origin for the arena area as a whole. This would allow for moving the fight to the basement when the floor collapses, or simply rotating the the fighting axis when the player performs a strafe around their enemy (I'm imagining some cool grabs using this feature once grabs are implemented as well).

15. Mistermind

Mistermind

Online is definitely in my todo list, but it will probably be one of the last things I do, as it will require a little more study and time, witch is the reason why I haven't added it to my major development list (yet)

Yep, there is still a lot to be done before jumping into a complete different game genre. Its one of the reason why I decided to have an open source version. I'd hate to see a customer stuck somewhere down development because UFE doesn't provide a certain specific feature.

I'd say its a bit tricky. See the main problem like mentioned before is just how different these games really are. In an example, I acknowledge "SFxT" as a "failed attempt" to bring both universes together, as the engine itself is just a modded version of SF4 and not a real "hybrid" of styles. That being said, you -could- try a few things: There is a "hidden" bool that was excluded from the final build but its still active inside the hitbox script called "detect3dHits". It basically forces the hitboxes to behave in a 3D enviroment instead of projections in the z axis.
    Having that on won't do much other then confuse people working on 2.5D games, but its a start to anyone looking for a 3d arena game. That is just the tip of the iceberg though.
    Moving the character in all 4 directions will require some understanding of code since you will be needing to modify the input system from ControlsScript.cs, some physic behaviors on PhysicsScript.cs and finally CameraScript.cs, where you will need to recreate the camera algorithms so it rotates with the characters.

This is just a quick overview of what would need to be done though. I'm sure there is a LOT more to it then these modifications. That's where any "ETA" gets tricky =)

16. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

Smash is fairly non-traditional, but Virtua Fighter has been around almost as long as Street Fighter. I'd say that's about as traditional as it gets. I'm not trying to get the exact gameplay with all the corresponding feel exactly like xyz 3D fighter. I can tweak that on my own, and many of the more specific details can be created by duplicating and tweaking pre-existing lines of the UFE code. I've poked around in the code and it is very well commented, but a bone or two in terms of those 3D features would be greatly appreciated.

If we could get:
    GLOBAL
    *Add in Z-axis movement anywhere there are X or Y properties (LateralForce?)
    *Add a default character orient script that aligns a character to the other character which engages during all moves (except standing and crouching).

CHARACTER
    *Add a new hurtbox(?) that is split into 4 quandrants (front, back, left, right) that determines' the opponent's relative position.

With those three additions, I could create almost anything else I needed based on what is already there. I could create new states, hit properties, and stuns based off the quadrant. I can make ignore tracking properties combined with z-axis movements to make proper sidesteps and other evasive moves. I can manually disable auto-turnaround, auto-stand up, and mirror. I can even tweak the camera to suit 3D play.

But I need those three things to make it happen.

EDIT: Maybe I missed it, but where is the license information located for those of us who bought the Source code?

17. Mistermind

Mistermind

Well there is a lot of in and outs to all those features. The first 2 were considered a possibility at first during development, but there are so many more details involved in just adding push forces I had to take them down.

See, if the idea was to simply add as many options as I could for the sake of having them, it would not look good. I rather deliver a relatively stabled and tested engine with everything I know about one subject then adventure into making something mediocre with features added in the last minute. Trust me, you would not be satisfied with the results. The last thing I want is a customer expecting something and being immediately disappointed when they buy it.

I honestly rather have things done perfectly then give you a few lines of code and say "there u go now u can do 3D arena!" :D

The third one can I believe you mean the hitboxes (and hurtboxes) being actually connected to the character instead of projections in a 2D field. That can already be done using the toggle "detect3dHits" under HitBoxesScript.cs. Setting that to "true" will have the hitboxes completely linked to the character in all 3 dimensions. I have this variable hidden since it would create too much confusion with the current build of the product.

I wasn't sure how to put this into the package, so I just linked the Asset Store Terms of Service and EULA into the readme file. I remember reading about assets in the asset store and how you should not have your own license in your file as the license used to all items in the asset store refers to this. Even though UFE is not technically -available- in the asset store its still there sitting in an approval room, so I just figured I could use the same license as a link for the sellfy file as well.

Not sure if this is the right way to do it though. Please correct me if I'm wrong =)

18. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

We were working on our previous posts at the same time so I didn't see your posts about the hitboxes until this morning, lol. Thank you. I understand that you'd rather do everything perfectly (and that's commendable), I just ask that you understand my position. I initially stated that I would wait until 3D features were added, and you suggested that people who were waiting should go ahead and buy the engine as a sort of "kickstarter" to get the features added. Now that I have purchased the engine, it seems more and more like the features I require are becoming a "just code it yourself" nature. It's entirely possible that I've misunderstood, but it is concerning.

Concerns aside, I'm more than willing to do alterations to the source code. Let me just reiterate, it is very well commented and easy to understand. I think the engine is still a steal at the price you're offering it for and the frequent updates is most appreciated. Perhaps you can give me (as well as the other people who are looking to do a 3D engine) a few pointers/ideas on how to get started with the z-axis and the alignment script? They are the only parts that I'm unsure of how to even begin to work on (now that you've given us the detect3dHits heads up).

The language in the Unity EULA is pretty clear about it covering only those assets acquired through the Asset Store. Those of us who bought it early are not covered and would need something directly from you.

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

You misunderstood me. I never said I won't do it, I'm just pointing out how hard it is and that it is not the top priority. You gotta understand that there are other priorities ahead and other customers asking for other things. I have to find a middle ground so I can have everyone relatively satisfied. As I repeatedly said as well, I'm just one man. If you can't wait for a feature to be done, you can try making it yourself.

Again thank you =)
    It isn't just about having a few tweaks here and there however. I can show you where to get get started (as I probably would) and where to initially look for variables to change, but in all honestly, I don't even know what to expect down the road from here.

I'd say the first thing to look at is the axis movement. That code is under ControlsScript.cs inside the Update() function.
    From line 227 to line 390 you will see the input system block (sorry this part is not very well commented) and right down line 293 to 316 you can find the block of code reference to the inputs "up" and "down"
    if (Input.GetAxisRaw(inputRef.inputButtonName) > 0) is the up input.
    if (Input.GetAxisRaw(inputRef.inputButtonName) < 0) is the down input.

Now you must go the PhysicsScript.cs file and study that file. There are several methods like move, jump, addForce and applyForces (runs every frame). These are mostly tailored towards the idea of a 2D environment, but if you manage to fit a "z" force into those methods you -might- get a 3D arena going, but that is just the start.

Right after that I recommend you study the CameraScript.cs, since you will need to have that camera moving along as well. That shouldn't be as much of a problem. I'm also gonna run a hot fix soon on the camera script that will change how the character camera boundaries work. This should ease the work on that a bit.

Remember: These are just speculation on how to do it. There is probably a lot more then just these tweaks. Sorry I can't really give you a complete step-by-step tutorial right now. To give you something complete in terms of tutorial it just be easier if I make the modifications to the code myself, and that, like we mentioned before, takes time.

I'm sorry about that :/
    As you can probably tell I suck at these things. Let me ask a few asset developers how they did it. If you know of any EULA I could just stamp into the file I'd be happy to apply.

20. Master Thespian

Master Thespian

Indeed I did. My apologies.

No, that is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks.

Okay, cool.

21. Mistermind

Mistermind

Alrite guys, more updates coming up. Also, new poll added to the upcoming features page!

Click here to go to the upcoming features page.

22. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

a 3d area should be like the last major feature. I mean jeezz isn't UFE suppose to be a 2.5 engine from the start? It would be foolish to skip over all the other major features that pretty much sums up a fully functional 2.5 engine and go straight into a 3d engine. By time you implement a 3d area and have to till with it's bugs and such, every other major feature could have been done and finished since their originally made for this 2.5d engine . Not only that, there is already a 3d engine out there to play with, it's call E-12. I think what makes this engine more unique is it's 2.5 functionality which it should stick to in my opinion intill everything all the major features that current 2.5 titles have at the moment, which is simple, before altering the engine to take on something like a 3d area. By the time it takes to get a 3d arena done, all the other major features currently listed which gives this 2.5 engine a stronger backing could be done and finished by the time to get this 3d area finished. 3d arena and netplay should be the very last priority, it only makes since.

23. xXR4V3NXx

xXR4V3NXx

Hahaha EF-12 is a hobby engine no where near what UFE will become in future releases...plus UFE is a commercial based development engine and great asset to have! 2.5D rules over 3D concepts in my opinion.
    ( * just wanted to rant sorry lol *)

My Youtube Channel

XTREME UNDERGROUND HOMEBREW

24. Mistermind

Mistermind

Guys, I'll be removing the discount from the Source version soon. If you haven't bought it yet, I recommend doing it soon!
    Friday will be the last day for discount. Price will be back at $195.00.

25. Mistermind

Mistermind

Universal Fighting Engine approved on the Asset Store!

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/13754

Updating your package using the Asset Store is a bit easier so don't worry about purchasing version 1.0.1. You will soon be getting a package update.

26. Aceshigh

Aceshigh

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  27. Mistermind

Mistermind

Documentation updated for version 1.0.2.

On another note, The Unity Asset Store team recommended me that I made some video tutorials, so for the next week I'll be working on those!

I'll be still working on the engine and will keep you guys updated on anything new I add this week.

28. johnny12345

johnny12345

have there been any updates since first release,ive been busy and not had chance to check thanks

29. Mistermind

Mistermind

30. johnny12345

johnny12345

yeah i bought from here with sellfy
    so i just revisited the original sellfy download link and click download and it already has the new version right

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  31. johnny12345

johnny12345

ahh i see it UFE102

32. GamerVJ

GamerVJ

Hi,

I played demo and enjoyed it. I was wondering if this supports handheld devices. Without considering touch controls and other device specific stuff, does it uses any feature, which is expensive or not available for iOS/Android.

VJ

33. Mistermind

Mistermind

Currently it doesn't support touch controls, but I already have that on the upcoming features page:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/upcomingfeatures

So expect that feature soon ;)

34. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, MMind. I wanted to say congratulations on the approval of UFE on the Asset Store. However, I wanted to know if someone were to purchase the PRO version, could they upgrade to the Source version afterwards?

35. Mistermind

Mistermind

Absolutely. There isn't a straight up way to do that -yet- but for now the customer load is low enough that provide some more personal methods.
    I'll look up and see if I can maybe create easier ways to provide customers with this option. Shouldn't be very hard to limit certain a certain download to selected customers only.

36. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thank you, MMind.

37. Mistermind

Mistermind

First video tutorial is up!

Let me know what you think guys. I have a very heavy accent and I had to do a lot of retakes hehe.

38. Mistermind

Mistermind

Well a 2.5D fighting game is, in all its glory, still a a 3D game. Parallax scrolling impact is as effective as you want it to be as its all about having your objects sitting at the desired distances in the scene. The camera options located in the global editor allows you to edit everything, from angle to field of view, on how you want your camera to move.

I'll try having some examples on how to use the camera on the Global Editor tutorial

39. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Thanks dude. I would prefer the Asset Store, but I don't like how slow the update process is. Hmm... I'll think about it.

Oh! oh! I almost forgot: Is Unity3D PRO needed to take full advantage of the engine? Or does it work 100% with the free version?

40. Mistermind

Mistermind

It works 100% with the free version =)

41. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Bought! Hope to maybe help expand this awesome project in the future. I'm still a Unity noob, but my gosh, after dealing with game development in Flash, Unity is glorious.

42. Mistermind

Mistermind

I know EXACTLY how you feel haha! I worked in Flash game development for over 10 years of my life.
    After getting used to Unity, working on Flash feels like trying to build a plane with spare parts of a car. And no matter how good you are, that plane won't fly straight lol.
    Unity is by far the best thing that happened to the game development industry.

43. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Yeah, totally. Flash really falls flat next to Unity3D for game development, even 2D.

Well, I've bought and downloaded the Source version through the Asset Store.

And woah! I really need that Introduction video!

I tried to make a quick test, and got these errors:
    $iMYVI0H.png

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  44. Mistermind

Mistermind

Sorry about that =)
    Make sure you read the installation process here:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/installation

Also you probably still using version 1.0.1. I've already sent Unity version 1.0.2, hopefully they approve the update by today. In version 1.0.2 I added an "installation.pdf" so its easier to find this procedure.

Make sure you also read the "readme.txt" file.

Unfortunately there is no way around this installation procedure, as Unity doesn't allow us to import the "InputManager" file located under "Project Settings" along with the package, so the procedure must be done manually. Don't worry though, you only have to do this once.

45. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Ah! Missed the InputManager part, thanks. How do you prefer to be contacted with this kind of questions?

46. Mistermind

Mistermind

If the question is general and can help others, I prefer you guys post here. If it is more related to your project or something you prefer not to share, feel free to contact me by e-mail or just send me a private message.

Through here might be better most of the time as I can take the time to even make screenshots if necessary.

47. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Update: That seemed to fix the Input errors, but I still have the other ones. Invalid parameter, Quaternion To Matrix, etc.

48. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

MMind, I was able to buy it (Pro) today through the Asset Store and I have imported it. Are there any tutorials of how to start the game itself? Like how to create characters and to add them to UFE?

49. Mistermind

Mistermind

I believe I can answer both questions with one answer =D
    http://www.ufe3d.com/doku.php/installation

Make sure you go through all the installation notes. Its important that you follow every step in order to have the demo and engine fully functional.

The new updated version I sent them should contain more information on how to get started (a pdf filled called "installation.pdf" containing the copy of the page above was added to the root of the build )

mrbrownie, make sure you go through all steps in the installation notes. I believe that error is related to this step:

If you guys have any other questions let me know! Every question is valid and can, in one way or the other, help others!

The new video tutorial should help you right up:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tJ7rPAvt_w

Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  50. mrbrownie

mrbrownie

Yup that was it. Thanks. I've been tinkering with it. It's a monster of an engine!