Search Unity

[RELEASED] Universal Fighting Engine

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Mistermind, Dec 17, 2013.

1. liero116

liero116

I guess this depends on how you view your game.

If you intend on making your game a serious fighting game that the fighting game community will play competitively, then 2 is fine, but they need to be complete. They need to be able to fully convey what your whole game is about (game play-wise). You also need to post your game to a community website like SRK and get feedback. They will be harsh and they will be critical, but it will help make your game better if you chose to use this as an opportunity to improve your game (which you absolutely should). I did this for my original fighting game and it was invaluable.

On the other hand, if your game is intended to be aimed at a more casual market (like Smash Bros or the Naruto series), then more characters is better. Casual players don't really care about polish, they just want more choices. Having said that, proving that you have many ideas for characters is important, but they still should be fairly polished.

xXTheZoneWalkerXx likes this.
  2. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

Thanks guys, I believe you're right and I'm going to take this advice. I intend to make a serious fighting game, so having two really polished characters is what I'm aiming for. I'm overly excited about the next update! :D

Last edited: Feb 5, 2015
  3. Mistermind

Mistermind

Polish is the key. People first want to see what you consider presentable. The benchmark for your work if you will. Only then they will care about you expanding upon it. Working on new characters will just enforce the idea that you can do it, but as admirable as making a game on your own is, attributes like that don't pay as much tribute as some indie developers think.

My suggestion is that you improve what you have right now. Review the lighting, textures and shaders. Make sure those moves connect, make a few cinematic moves, work on the get hit animations. The prettier you can make the stage, GUI and those 2 characters look, the better.

Here, this video can help you:

Here the folks at Extra Credits explain a few key things about releasing a game as well as some tips on making a game trailer. (They just released this video btw. Talk about coincidence!)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
  4. Kronos9294

Kronos9294

This maybe a dumb question but is there anyway to remove the "Esc - menu" text during the matches?

5. MrGky93

MrGky93

Can somone help me ??
    My problem i want to build my game and than i start to build for android than i see my game has more than 600mb ???What the hell ??
    Than i search what is the problem and come to point that my models are the problem :/
    When i put my model in (2gb 3d models) and select one only one model for my game for testing it create a 600mb + big file ???
    And when i delete it i have a 30mb file ???
    Can someone help me??
    Sry bad english

This also the same problem when i use no scene ??!!!! lol

Last edited: Feb 6, 2015
  6. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

Hi, could you post a screen shot of your model? preferably one with the wireframe visible.

upload_2015-2-7_18-36-49.png

The blue arrow is pointing to the mesh with the wireframe showing.

My guess is that the model you're using is too dense. If youre artist could reduce the polygon count, then youre file size should go down substantially.

upload_2015-2-7_18-46-17.png

I typically try to keep my polygons down below the 10k mark. So my tris are below 20k. I know machines these days can handle well over 50k for tris, but im limited by the hardware I use so I stick to those numbers.

I hope this was helpful, if you could post a screen shot it would be easier to troubleshoot

Attached Files:

Mistermind likes this.
  7. MrGky93

MrGky93

thx you found my bug .
    Change the folder of my models and now it working good :)
    Dont now why this function but it function :)

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    xXTheZoneWalkerXx likes this.
  8. Mistermind

Mistermind

Open UFE\Scripts\GUIScript.cs file and comment this line (add "//" before it) :
    Code (CSharp):
    1. info.text = "ESC - Menu";
    For a more in depth look on GUI and Input Display I also recommend a very good article by YumChaGames:
    http://www.ufe3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=147

Twrmois likes this.
  9. cloud0310

cloud0310

how do i add animated logo and menu for main menu/chr selection

10. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

So, I upgraded to the source version of UFE. Does anyone have any tips on how to implement motion trails during the active frames of a move? Ideally, I would have the trail components already attached to a character and deactivated by default. When a moves active frame initiates, the component would activate, then deactivate at the end of the active frames. Im guessing that the Startup, active, and recovery frames, and active hurt boxes are global variables that I can reference to create a script that activates and deactivates an objects components or children

Also, is there an ETA on the update with story mode and the new loading screen?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2015
    Twrmois likes this.
  11. bamncan

bamncan

Is UFE supported in Unity 4.6?

12. liero116

liero116

Im doing trails and I tried it 2 ways. Both ways use XWeaponTrails.

The first way I did it was to set up 4 weapon trail scripts that corresponded to each limb with them off by default. They would then activate based on the attack animation via scripting. You can probably do this through playmaker too. This version gives you nice, accurate trails that follow exactly where the limbs are. This method worked, but I didn't like the effect. I wanted the trails to extend slightly beyond the attack in some cases for a stylized effect.

The second (and ultimately best-for-me method) was to create a separate object in each animation that was just a bone with one start point and one end point. I then animated the object where I wanted the blur to be, exported it as a separate object, and called it as a particle effect with the weapon trail script already on it. This method is simpler since you don't have to do nearly as much scripting. The downside is that the blur does not stop when there is hit pause and it will continue on if the animation is interrupted for some reason. Both of these can be fixed pretty easily, but I just haven't bothered doing it yet.

13. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

Thanks!

The first way sounds tough to manage since there are sooo many animations in a project and 4 limbs to control. That seems like a good way to go.

I tried the second method you mentioned and I just didnt like the effect. I dont know if its because of the machine im on but when I did it that way the trail had some sort of delay, the trail could only move in x and y space on the screen and the particle prefab was still active even after the move had ended.

Im hoping the devs can give me some tips on how to attach a public variable to the move editor and activate objects on characters during active frames. I feel like that should be a feature for upcoming releases. I'm limited in my ability to code but Ill give it a shot.

14. JessieK

JessieK

So any update on 2d or a prediction to when it could be coming out, I know you must get this a lot but I cannot seem to find any information on it

15. liero116

liero116

I;m not sure about why yours has a delay, but as for the other issues, I just animated mine in the z space as well and it works for me. I also modified the code to remove itself after a set period of time.

But, yes - having the ability to code around moves would be optimal here.

16. nitekrawler

nitekrawler

Hey MMind or Yum Cha Games.

Is it possible to just take out the hitbox and move setup portion of this asset?? I love the workflow as it's shown in the videos. I'm thinking about purchasing it but I'm not exactly the best coder. I checked the U.F.E. forums to see if anyone had attempted to do such but I didn't see anything there.

The reason I ask is because I'm making a game and don't really want to follow the standard 2.5D fighter template in many ways. I have free movement(in x and y that is) and don't want the characters to always face each other. I'm rolling my own custom touch input that I don't know will work with this asset. Due to the number of moves each character can perform it would be nice to set up the attacks's collisions per animation as you are doing in this asset. So I suppose I'm asking are any dependencies that would prevent just using those two portions of the asset??

Last edited: Feb 17, 2015
  17. sorcerersapprentice

sorcerersapprentice

Hi xXTheZoneWalkerXx,
    Hi liero116,
    thanks for the xWeaponTrails hint, my colleague is looking at it;).
    But to the public variables:
    it's in fact very easy to attach a public variable.
    Ahh, not really, but I found a way on my search and destroy sessions in the last weeks.
    and because I customized the source code on different places of the editors, I want to give you an overall view about, what is going on there.
    The first thing is the most important tool, in MonoDevelop it is STRG+Shift+F and you can find everything in every scirpt of your project. STRG+F let's find you everything in the script, that is open.
    Then you have to know, where you want to put something new inside the *EditorWindows.
    It doesn't matter which one you want to change, because at the end the are all the same.
    I could give an example about more custom moves for the hit animations, textures for the announcements or some texturechanges in the projectiles... and somehow surprisingly they are all working..
    When you know, where you want to set your variable (and there is the first hurdle: you have to be careful, that you find the right point, where you implemenent your variable), then take the title, to find your correct line of code in the correct *EditorWindow.cs, so when you want to add something in, let's say, the CharacterEditorWindow, just take its script (or find it, but a little knowledge is better than finding the correct line in all the scripts..). Find the lines, where you want to insert your own stuff. For something easy, and I do not know, if it fits in a fighting game: let's take the character to another level: the IQ, we want to put them here between Age and Blood Type, I don't know, but it sseems to fit. So we search now for Age.
    StRG+F gave me this one line:
    characterInfo.age = EditorGUILayout.IntField("Age:", characterInfo.age);
    it is line180 in my script, but I wouldn't say anymore, that these are the correct lines from the original script...wiht this knowledge we have the place, where we put our new IQ inside the script. For this, we have to know, what is the variable all about, is it a move, is it a texture, or something easy like an int? Here it is an int... So easy enough for us, we can just steal the line of the Age and copy&paste it one line under.. but here we start to make real changes. "Age" will be "IQ" and characterInfo.age should be characterInfo.IQ.
    Already saved and back in unity?.. there is an errormessage.. ohh, three... and all in our newly added line. So here starts the investigation, and her starts the power of STRG+SHIFT+F, except, you know where to search.. let's take this way, without jumping into the CharacterInfo.cs. I see, that age is not a nice word for finding the correct one, so I took space in front of age. And found indeed in the CharacterInfo.cs this line: public int age; copy this again, write IQ instead of age. Save it. go back to unity, maybe you have to reopen your CharacterEditorWindow, but there it is and no more error messages. I don't know, what we should do with an IQ at the moment, but maybe you can use it for something different. this was not about moves, but it is the same there. Is it in the MoveEditorWindow, or is it in the MoveSet? Where do you want to add what? At which time you want to execute it? For executing I usually played around in the ControlScript, it takes some time, but the knowledge is worth it, I would say..
    Everything else works the same. Pin your point, where you need your new extension of the script, think about it, and then just write it to the right place, and don't forget to debug it.. i use the friendly print("**");
    I hope this read wasn't to long..

And where I am at it:
    thanks MMind for this wonderful playground!

Last edited: Feb 19, 2015
  18. Twrmois

Twrmois

Hey MMind and YumChaGames, I have a question.

While playing Killer Instinct the other night (Xbox One) I thought back on a particular move in the game called an Ultra Combo, which is basically a command that when activated during a combo while the enemy has low health, has the player do a large barrage of automated attacks on the other player. Even after their health is gone, the hits still go on, usually up to 25-90 hits. So I decided to try to incorporate this into UFE and it was pretty much successful! Also working on making finishing moves (like Mortal Kombat)

Oh, but the question is can I make a video tutorial for other users here on how to make a Ultra Combo for a character? I wanted to ask cause I know that the video tutorials are usually only made by the staff (you two).

19. Mistermind

Mistermind

Its hard to say when we will start working on 2D but its definitely one of our top 3 priorities. A few months back we did a few experimental changes to the engine (as seen here), but its still a bit far from being complete. Once version 1.6 is out I can re-evaluate the possible paths, but I can't promise any dates.

Thankfully that is one thing I got covered =)
    Search for "Hit Doesn't Kill" under Damage Options: http://ufe3d.com/doku.php/move:activeframes

Any help is more then welcome =)
    I'll contact you.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2015
    Twrmois likes this.
  20. Steviebops

Steviebops

Has anyone tried UFE with the Unity 5 beta yet?

21. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey there, MMind. Does having the Open Source Code in the Source version of UFE allow you to fully customize your game into that made by Jae Bowman (Kings of Kung Fu)?

22. Mistermind

Mistermind

I'm currently running some tests. So far it looks stable, but the next version should bring a more compatible version with the new GUI format.

Version 1.6 (currently under development) will have something very similar in terms of templates.

Due to some hardware problems we are currently having some delay on the development, but everything should be up and operational very soon. Stay tuned.

23. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thank you, MMind. I'll be sure to look out for that.

24. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

My method was similar to Liero's, but I made mine as an alternate to the Move Editor's Particle Effect. It instantiates and destroys the XWeaponTrail just like it would a Particle Effect, and I'm also able to assign the start and end points according to body parts.

The alignment is very precise so it might not look quite as stylised, but it doesn't worry me for my game. And also, I can apply Liero's fix (adding extra bones specifically for the trails) if required.

25. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

So can you share how you implemented the weapon trails into the move editor? Ive been trying to create and destroy the effects using animation events in a seperate script, but Id feel a lot better if they were combined with UFE's system

26. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

Sure. Have a look here. :)

Mistermind likes this.
  27. cloud0310

cloud0310

I tried for mine. but i am getting error in ControlsScript.cs n MoveEditorWindow.cs
    it was saying something like isWeapontrail is missing in controlsScript and I forgot what it was in MoveEditorWindow.

28. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

Sir, if I was in your area, I would take you out to a nice steak dinner and buy you a beer. Thank you so much! It freaking works and it's gorgeous! This is exactly what I wanted :D

Last edited: Mar 1, 2015
  29. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

Go through the steps again and double check each step. It's an involved process (I've classed it as Advanced Level!), so there's quite a few bits that can trip you up. It's important to do each script one at a time and make sure you've done all required changes before saving them and moving on.

30. cloud0310

cloud0310

thnx now it works.. i must did soemthing wrong last time...

31. DjWilly

DjWilly

For some reason UFE isn't working on Unity5?
    It says

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    System.String.FormatHelper (System.Text.StringBuilder result, IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1890)
    System.String.Format (IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1873)
    System.String.Format (System.String format, System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1868)
    UFE.Awake ()

Whatever this means :(

32. Mistermind

Mistermind

Humm. Which version of UFE are you using (Basic, PRO, Source) and which version number (1.0.x or 1.5)?

I'm running a few tests myself as well. I'll be patching it asap.

33. DjWilly

DjWilly

Pro 1.5

34. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Hey, guys. I have finally scaled and configured my characters to a point where they can have a fighting stance and intro.

The problem is that:

A.) I can't really get the characters to jump, as in, they do, but the figure doesn't perform the jump animation at all,

B.) My purchased moves from Mixamo are hard to execute with the command button being hard to find,

and

C.) When I copy some of the Legacy Mike/Demo Character's moves to the basic moves of my character, I find it hard to understand why the character is not performing the full animation.

If anyone could help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.

35. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

A) Do they go up and down at least? If not, then likely there's not enough jump power, or you have jump disabled?

B) I'm not sure what you mean "the command button hard to find"... Did follow the move editor tutorial (or the throw tutorial)?

C) Is your character using Legacy animation system? If so, do they have the same rig as Mike? If not, then those animations won't work... We recommend using Mecanim system when using animations from other sources (i.e., clips created with the different rig to what your character has).

36. DjWilly

DjWilly

I have a pro 1.5 and Unity5. The game now starts in the menu but as soon as I get to the fight I get error:
    MissingMethodException: Method not found: 'UnityEngine.Animator.GetCurrentAnimatorClipInfo'.

This is happens when starting a new fresh new project. But when I import my project which was made with Unity4.6 I get:

System.String.FormatHelper (System.Text.StringBuilder result, IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1890)
    System.String.Format (IFormatProvider provider, System.String format, System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1873)
    System.String.Format (System.String format, System.Object[] args) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/mono-runtime-and-classlibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System/String.cs:1868)
    UFE.Awake ()

Any suggestions?
    PS! No code experience so if it's a code I need to fix kindly post the code or the file you want me to replace.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  37. DjWilly

DjWilly

I just realized that It would works fine with Demo Character but not with other characters (mecanim)

38. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Yes, they can jump, but they can't crouch. And thank you for suggesting for me to stick to the Mecanim animation type.

The only problem I have is following the move tutorial. When I press the button for my character to make the left hook, the game stops and exerts an error:

MoveSetScript.GetNextMove (.MoveInfo currentMove)
    ControlsScript.resolveMove ()
    ControlsScript.DoFixedUpdate ()
    UFE.FixedUpdate ()

I'm not sure if it's the update to UFE, for I have the latest version.

39. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

That error is usually when you are trying to execute a move that isn't assigned in the move list or in a chain link. Make sure there are no empty slots there.

Also, to ensure you're not missing anything in a move file, we recommend copying from the provided ones and editing what you need (add your own animations, change input, tweak hurt boxes etc).

Also worth reading is the differences between Legacy and Mecanim.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2015
  40. mqiydaar

mqiydaar

Thank you, YumCha Games. Now the only issue I have is making sure the position of my stage is equal to zero for the X, Y, and Z coordinates. I have already imported and re-imported the stage, and yet, the characters fall through the ground, and in addition to that, neither the stage nor the characters are visible.

41. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

I was just talking to someone about stages funny enough :). Check this post for tips.

42. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

I have a few question about C input. Do we need to have the source code version of c input or will the 15 dollar version be enough for UFE to pick it up? Also, how do we implement it?

Ideally, I want the user to use an Xbox controller, but I want them to have the capability of mapping their keys as they see fit if they don't have one. Currently my project uses an Xbox controller because I set it up through unity's input.

I plan on releasing a playable demo of Immortal Fray at the end of March so stay tuned for that :D. Thank you very much for your aid Yum Cha Games and MisterMind! Ill be sure to include the ufe animation at the start of my new trailers.

After the release of the first iteration, and after my attendance at the legend of GAAM show in Jacksonville Florida, Ill be working on implementing the new(finished art assets) and give Immortal Fray a total makeover.

Up until now the art assets Ive been using were made solely for the purpose of creating the prototype, so expect a prettier, more high res version of Immortal Fray

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
    Yum-Cha-Games likes this.
  43. DjWilly

DjWilly

Any update for Unity5 bugs we are facing?
    Now Unity5 doesn't even wants to run UFE in its default setting! I started a new fresh project and only imported UFE then tried to run it. And this is what I get:
    UFE.Awake ()

44. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

Did you run the Unity script update?

45. Mistermind

Mistermind

I just ran a few more tests. Running the update or not, neither UFE PRO or Basic will work on U5.

I've already issued a bug report and I'm doing an overall check on anything else I find. For more on Unity 5 development follow this thread (constantly updated).

In the meantime I strongly recommend sticking with Unity 4.5/4.6.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2015
  46. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

So I want to buy C input. If i load the pro 15 dollar version into my project will ufe know what to do with it right away? How do I implement it if I aim to use xbox controllers in my game

47. mende

mende

Hello everybody,
    I want to create a finishing move.So I wonder how to play my own dead animation for my finishing move.
    If the damage in the Move editor is 100%. or lifebar 0 its playing a knockdown animation, not any other.

Any idea how to stop it or where to change this and in which scripts? (Move Setscript?)
    I just want to play my specific dead-animation, if I kill the opp. with 100% (particle or hit) in the final round.

Im playing around with the Source-version.
    Thanks for any good advice.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  48. Yum-Cha-Games

Yum-Cha-Games

You'll need to change your Input Manager, and it should work from there. It's pretty automated. I'll be going through it later today. I'll update that page with more info if it needs it.

You can get custom reactions by using either Opponent Override or Override Hit Effects in your Move's Active Frames.

Are you trying to do Fatalities (i.e. finishing move after match is won), or something else?

49. xXTheZoneWalkerXx

xXTheZoneWalkerXx

As always much appreciated sir! Ill go ahead and take a stab at it.

I have one last item on my checklist for this sprint before I release the pre alpha demo of my project.

A loading screen

I notice there's a huge amount of lag when I initially load the game and start a fight. It mainly happens right after I select a stage for the first time.

How hard would it be for me to implement a loading screen? I can code one up, but would I have to modify the UFE script or the camera fade script? I would like to just play a loading screen prefab or even display a loading image after the fadeout begins then have it disappear when fade in occurs. I forgot what line it is but I think I can make this happen in the UFE script. That's the only issue I have with the system right now. I sometimes find myself staring at a black screen for over a minute after I select a stage before a match. Im guessing this happens because everything is being loaded at once

Im just unsure of how to approach this since everything is handled in one scene so any pointers in the right direction would be much appreciated

Last edited: Mar 13, 2015
  50. mende

mende

[QUOTE="
    You can get custom reactions by using either Opponent Override or Override Hit Effects in your Move's Active Frames.

Are you trying to do Fatalities (i.e. finishing move after match is won), or something else?[/QUOTE]

Yes,what Im trying to do is fatalities with sometimes projectiles or also normal hit.
    So it means the fatality hit should kill the opponent and the opponent should play the dying animation.

Because there is no Opponent Override for projectiles it will not work I think.
    also if I checked the box Override Hit Effects it has no effect on the animation in my project at all.

If in damage options the percentage is 100 it will override any animation with knockdown animation, independent from the settings in Hit Type and Hit Strength.